Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Official Goliath Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on June 25th, 2015, 10:07 pm
coasterfan71555 wrote:My days of waiting for Goliath for an hour or longer are over. It is simply not worth the time investment. It is nothing more than another short, trick coaster, which will be eclipsed by something new in the next year or so. The installation of Goliath showed poor planning, and sloppy execution of the plan. :roll:

Good. Shorter lines for the rest of us.
anewman35

Postby CoasterMike on June 26th, 2015, 9:58 am
coasterfan71555 wrote:My days of waiting for Goliath for an hour or longer are over. It is simply not worth the time investment. It is nothing more than another short, trick coaster, which will be eclipsed by something new in the next year or so. The installation of Goliath showed poor planning, and sloppy execution of the plan. :roll:

I don't know what to say about this! I am completely dumbfounded by your negativity towards Goliath!
CoasterMike

Postby mroberge on June 26th, 2015, 1:03 pm
I haven't ridden it yet.... but it seems like poor reasoning to stop riding because it will get eclipsed. Don't all coasters get "eclipsed"?

Eagle by Viper
Iron Wolf by Batman
Batman by Raging Bull

ect....
mroberge

Postby BCarroll on June 26th, 2015, 1:20 pm

I have to agree with him. Waiting an hour + for Goliath is not worth it. Its too short of a ride for a such long of a wait. Why wait 2 1/2 hours on a summer day for a :40 second ride. Its much more worth it to wait 45 mins for a bigger/longer ride like Raging Bull or AE.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby tribar on June 26th, 2015, 2:18 pm
mroberge wrote:I haven't ridden it yet.... but it seems like poor reasoning to stop riding because it will get eclipsed. Don't all coasters get "eclipsed"?

Eagle by Viper
Iron Wolf by Batman
Batman by Raging Bull

ect....

How exactly was a great, record breaker like American Eagle eclipsed by a crappy clone like Viper?
tribar

Postby RollingCoasting on June 26th, 2015, 9:55 pm
BCarroll wrote: I have to agree with him. Waiting an hour + for Goliath is not worth it. Its too short of a ride for a such long of a wait. Why wait 2 1/2 hours on a summer day for a :40 second ride. Its much more worth it to wait 45 mins for a bigger/longer ride like Raging Bull or AE.

anewman35 wrote:Good. Shorter lines for the rest of us.
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 26th, 2015, 10:24 pm
And if you still don't want to wait in a long line,

Use. The. Single. Rider. Line.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterCale on June 27th, 2015, 12:51 am
Single Rider still isn't the best. You can still wait virtually the equal time to standby since so many groups use it now, as it's much more visible without the overflow being used.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby CoasterMike on June 27th, 2015, 6:16 pm
BCarroll wrote:

I have to agree with him. Waiting an hour + for Goliath is not worth it. Its too short of a ride for a such long of a wait. Why wait 2 1/2 hours on a summer day for a :40 second ride. Its much more worth it to wait 45 mins for a bigger/longer ride like Raging Bull or AE.

I have to beg to differ!
CoasterMike

Postby BCarroll on June 28th, 2015, 7:35 pm
It is not that Goliath is a bad ride or anything, I just don't think the wait is worth it. Ill just have to wait a few years before all the hype goes down then I can ride it more and have less of a wait.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby RollingCoasting on June 28th, 2015, 8:09 pm
Goliath got stuck today for like 40 seconds around 5:00 P.M.. I was watching it go up the lift hill slowly, and it came to a sudden stop at the top of the lift.

About five minutes later, I witnessed Batman get stuck on the top of the lift hill for about six minutes.
RollingCoasting

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 28th, 2015, 9:31 pm
Goliath got stuck again at around 9:30. Live from the Goliath station, it's been stuck for at least 1 minute.

Edit: 9:35, Goliath is back in operation.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on June 28th, 2015, 9:52 pm
sounds like a failing sensor on the final brakes for Goliath, lift will move slow if there is a train in the block ahead of it, then stop at the top of course if it doesn't register as clear.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 28th, 2015, 10:25 pm
No, it's stopping around 10-20 from where the lift hill incident was. The other train was in the station.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby coasterfanatic on June 29th, 2015, 3:01 pm
500-600 an hour for a large park's premier new ride is pathetic. Not that comparing is the best thing to do, but Banshee at Kings Island beats it's own 1,650 capacity and has gotten over 1,800 people in an hour.

I completely agree. Part of the reason why I don't want a ZacSpin/FreeFry type coaster is because of capacity. Heck, I worry that the rumored Justice League ride will be a low capacity.
coasterfanatic

Postby FParker185 on June 29th, 2015, 3:30 pm
Ah, I thought I read it stopped at the top of the lift.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Jodon on June 30th, 2015, 10:28 am
I haven't been to the park at open this year when Goliath has been operating. Is there still a "running of the bulls" at gate open around 10 like last year, or is it a more controlled walk back this year? I'm heading there tomorrow morning and would like to know what to expect.
Jodon

Postby CoasterCale on June 30th, 2015, 10:44 am
When Goliath has been operating it's a walk. There are usually 3 Security Guards walking the mass of people shortly after 10. You will be told not to pass them and threatened that you'll be held back otherwise. Of course this isn't really true but it does the job. It's certainly not on Disney's level and there isn't a chain, but is a step forward.

CoasterCale

Postby CoasterMike on July 1st, 2015, 9:00 pm
I was at the park today with two of my friends and they both comented on how slow the operations on Goliath can be. One of them even told me they should add another train (3 trains) to increase the capacity and I told him that that would make it WORSE!
CoasterMike

Postby Tardis1972 on July 2nd, 2015, 12:20 am
^ Plus I'm not sure Goliath could run with three trains. Isn't the brake run too short for a 3rd train.
Tardis1972

Postby CoasterCale on July 2nd, 2015, 9:03 am
That is true. From what a friend told me, Coasters have one more possible brake than the maximum number of trains that could be ran. So it is possible, but there would need to be major work. Not to mention it would suck waiting to come into the station, or even how that would look stacking. :roll:

CoasterCale

Postby CoasterMike on July 2nd, 2015, 9:39 am
Stacking would be a HUGE issue if Goliath ran three trains!
CoasterMike

Postby Jodon on July 2nd, 2015, 10:16 am
Just experienced the new walk back to Goliath and I was not impressed. Apparently a kid got trampled a few weeks ago so they implemented the new walk back policy. First off, the walk back was really congested and was in my opinion more dangerous than the run back as now you have a lot of people in a small space jockeying for position. Then, once we got to the entrance the security guard wanted us in a single file line, which wasn't happening. All in all I thought the run back was way better. The run while a little congested at the beginning did a better job of spacing out the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby CoasterCale on July 2nd, 2015, 10:55 am
That was pretty much my thoughts exactly.

CoasterCale

Postby CoasterDemon on July 2nd, 2015, 3:55 pm
CoasterMike wrote:Stacking would be a HUGE issue if Goliath ran three trains!

Not if it had a double station ;) One clears the end block, one drops off the lift. Of course, you still have a half coaster, but capacity would be more appropriate!

I took a friend to the park yesterday; she has never been to Great America or any large/corporate thrill park before. We rode all the coasters (except for Blue Eagle and Little Dipper). Our last coaster (as it was getting dark) was Demon. As we came into the final brakes she exclaimed "this is my favorite so far!" I was like "are you kidding?" She loved it. I told her at the top of the lift to sit forward a bit, and not let her head touch the headrest; guess it worked!

I love Demon, but I've also had to learn "how to ride" it over a few decades... I know most people and many enthusiasts don't like it because of the roughness.

She liked every coaster and ride, but her favorite two were Demon and Viper. She was also very fond of AEagle, RAging Bull and Whizzer.

At about 8:45, I told her she needed to pick her favorite rides so we could get to them before the park closed. She chose Viper, Whizzer and Demon. Many rides on Demon!

Nice to see everyone doesn't fall for the "taller, faster, steeper" marketing stuff.
CoasterDemon

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum