Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 2013 Updates 9/14 Update

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 5:04 am
Doesn't seem to be any progress on coaster trains this week. Gonna be one interesting opening weekend. Also, although V2 ran a couple weeks ago, it has since thrown an Intamin fit and is closed :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 28th, 2013, 9:39 am
DejaVu2001 wrote:Doesn't seem to be any progress on coaster trains this week. Gonna be one interesting opening weekend. Also, although V2 ran a couple weeks ago, it has since thrown an Intamin fit and is closed :lol:

well I was hoping to hit that up right after batman for a short line but guess not... :evil:
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby SFGAm#1Fan on April 28th, 2013, 9:43 am
So the only coasters with two trains are Bull and Demon! Plus V2 down! Man, I am going to have to plan a good strategy on how to attack the park this upcoming weekend if I want to ride anything! Hopefully namtaB will have two trains ready by next weekend. (Don't see it happening though :roll: )
Can't live without Roller Coasters!
SFGAm#1Fan

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 9:48 am
Here is my plan for opening day. Arrive at park, check Ride Status sign, run to either namtaB or X Flight, walk around in a circle until 4:10pm when I leave to go to work :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 28th, 2013, 9:52 am
if opening day is anything like the past to. all of us will be lucky to get on 5 major rides and that's it. not even looking forward to opening day this year. I was hoping to get on everything but guess that is not happening-_-
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby SFGAm#1Fan on April 28th, 2013, 9:56 am
Memory doesn't stick with me to well, but I can't seem to ever recall an opening weekend when the park was this unprepared! 2 train operations on only two coasters!!! Give me a freakin' break!!! Sure we can point fingers at the weather was bad this winter but I really don't get why the park is so far behind in terms of maintence!
SFGAm#1Fan

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 10:04 am
This is almost identical to Opening Day 2009, except 2009 it was Bull and Viper with 2 trains. The only difference, 2009 the park opened April 3rd :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 28th, 2013, 10:07 am
SFGAm#1Fan wrote:Memory doesn't stick with me to well, but I can't seem to ever recall an opening weekend when the park was this unprepared! 2 train operations on only two coasters!!! Give me a freakin' break!!! Sure we can point fingers at the weather was bad this winter but I really don't get why the park is so far behind in terms of maintence!

this is the one year opening day is this bad in the past 5 years from what I recall(not including year they opened first week of april). Also i believe there isn't one major ride that has full operation this year which is really bad. i understand with you also that the weather was bad but this shouldn't be the cause of them having no major rides fully operational. i think they tried stepping it up this season and they went a little to far and weren't prepared for it!
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 10:11 am
^ How so, the only new thing ridewise (at this time :wink: ) is Batman backwards, which I wouldn't expect to take that much longer since the trains get rehabbed every year anyways. And to anyone that mentioned weather, um, all the coaster work is done indoors, either in the Maintenance shop or in the fully enclosed storage tracks for Batman, Superman, and X Flight.
DejaVu2001

Postby Goku1910 on April 28th, 2013, 10:15 am
As Dejavu said, namtaB has almost nothing to do with other rides being unprepared. The rides are separated by zones....not going to give specifics but some mechanics only work on some zones. Meaning, there's no reason why Eagle red only has 1 train when it's not in the same zone as SUF or namtaB. I think namtaB is only affecting rides in it's zone, which would be Bull and X-Flight.....Superman's ALWAYS late.

People seem to think that namtaB is the cause, it's not necessarily true. The park just really dropped the ball on this one.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 28th, 2013, 10:19 am
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ How so, the only new thing ridewise (at this time :wink: ) is Batman backwards, which I wouldn't expect to take that much longer since the trains get rehabbed every year anyways. And to anyone that mentioned weather, um, all the coaster work is done indoors, either in the Maintenance shop or in the fully enclosed storage tracks for Batman, Superman, and X Flight.

well rumor has it other rides(not mentioning) are running backwards as well..
about stepping it up they did ALOT around the park as from what i saw and what i am hearing and they did a lot of maintenance to rides(new restraints seats ect) i mean yeah its not a lot but in past years they haven't done much but what put new seats on v2 and new restraints on RB and some seats as well. it does take time to paint stuff and get rides up and fully operational. could this all be due to not having enough yearly maintenance people?
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 10:26 am
Again, I can't imagine new seats or harnesses adding any time, I mean they have to take them apart and reassemble them anyway. As for Maintenance, based on the downward trend the last few years, it wouldn't be unreasonable to wonder if there were cutbacks either in personnel or hours allowed. One thing I do know for sure is that the people there work very hard and are probably just as upset as we are when this stuff happens.
DejaVu2001

Postby UWW-10 on April 28th, 2013, 10:28 am
Seriously, is the earth really going fall out of the universe because you were only able to ride 3 things on opening day? :roll: It's not like any of us have ever been on these rides thousands of times before or anything....

I go back to my point on the last page.....if you already feel that opening weekend is going to "suck" for you because rides A, B, and C aren't fully operational, then why even venture out the door to go?

For me, I haven't missed an opening day in 10 years (or soon to be haha) either as a guest, or the few years that I worked there. I could care less if I made it on to 'x' number of rides in the time I spent there because I can return at my leisure.
UWW-10

Postby DeathbyDinn on April 28th, 2013, 11:33 am
^ I'm not so much bothered about not getting on a lot of rides, as like you've said I've been on them a ton, and I'll be with a group of friends so it will be a good day regardless. What worries me is that the park will fall down the path that other Six Flags parks have of just not being ready for the crowds. I've read lots of reports from other parks on opening day where everything is one train, rides are closed, etc and always been happy that Great America tends to be pretty much ready from day one, with the exception of a few coasters not having their third train, which is fine May anyways. Hopefully this year is a just a fluke and they can learn from it and be prepared next year.
DeathbyDinn

Postby lord soth on April 28th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Was at the park yesterday, which was a good way to come out of coaster hibernation. Much to my disappointment, V2 was down all day. FAIL. Batman was not running, which I was kind of expecting, but had a glimmer of hope. X-Flight running 1 train, so slow loading times, as was the case with Superman as it usually is. Demon, Eagle (red), Bull had 2 trains going. Viper and Whizzer running 1 train. East River Crawler had all the parts there but was still being assembled, as was the Orbit. No Yankee Clipper but Logger's Run was going. Work still being done for the night show as it looked the same as the photos the park posted a few days ago. The front entrance seemed odd as it had changed to an unfamiliar look but I can see how it will work a bit better with getting large crowds through the gates more efficiently. I do miss my Extreme Pass entrance, though. The new sports bar/eatery is nice and was popular throughout the day. I did like the new OTS harnesses on Giant Drop. Screams and Dreams III was good, much like the 2nd one. It covered the 2000's era. Featured was V2, Deja Vu, Superman, Hurricane Harbor, BB, Little Dipper, shows and GITD parade, and X-Flight. I would have like a bit more in-depth opinions with the staff and management but it was well rounded with what it presented to the audience.
lord soth

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 1:29 pm
^ Hmm. I must have been misinformed on Eagle Red not having 2. Did you get any photos of the new entrance or igNight (I know it hasn't changed much, but I'm interested in how the construction fence is positioned).
DejaVu2001

Postby SFGAm#1Fan on April 28th, 2013, 1:46 pm
Very happy to hear that Eagle Red has two trains! Did Blue side have any of its trains on the transfer? @lord soth?
SFGAm#1Fan

Postby DeathbyDinn on April 28th, 2013, 2:15 pm
I didn't know Giant Drop was getting new restraints. Are they the same kind as before, or the new kind like on LL:DOD?
DeathbyDinn

Postby lord soth on April 28th, 2013, 2:48 pm
As far as the entrance was, i'm not sure how opening day will be with people having to purchase tickets or scanned printouts, but where the booths were, they have an area where guests will walk through. Maybe security will be there, i'm not sure. They also installed a black iron gate to the right to divide the entrance and exit. Kind of like how they had the gate barriers before, but not it is more of a permanent structure but has a gate opening to get through if needed.

Giant drop had the same restraints but the are new now, a bright orange. AE: Blue side was not running nor were any of the trains were on the track or transfer track that I saw. Same with the other rides. Missing were RB yellow train, Demon yellow train, remaining whizzer trains, S:UF train, etc.. X-Flight had the other train in the hangar, but it looked as if it was still being worked on as some seats were missing on it and the top covers were off. I am still speculating that since Swarm has reversed the last rows, will we see X-Flight follow suit and do the same with X-Flight later in the year?

I didn't get photos but i'm sure things will look different next weekend.

There were a lot of orientation groups going around because this weekend with the private events going on was probably a good use for real training for new employees.
lord soth

Postby DejaVu2001 on April 28th, 2013, 4:14 pm
^ They already have the "new" Ticket Sales building finished. They renovated the old Stroller Rental building that had been empty since 2005. The metal detectors will be moved out front once that structure is finished.

viewtopic.php?p=213875#p213875

And, minor detail, it is the red train missing at Bull.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 28th, 2013, 6:48 pm
I really don't understand why the Log ride or Buccaneer Battle even have to be open today, next week, or until May 18th. I rather see them focusing on putting 2 trains on coasters along with them putting The Orbit / East River Crawler / whatever other rides back together. They have to be cutting people left and right. It seems like they improved other parks with the amount of maintenance help / looks of the parks, and than ours is starting to go downhill (meaning LESS help). Before, we had two trains on every coaster starting from day 1. Than, it became Superman with 1 train, and now multiple coasters are going to have 1 train.

I'm starting the think the reason why they are moving the security checkpoint around is so they get rid of ticket people staff. Ticket scanning never really has that long of a line. It's always the security I'm waiting for. So, I'm thinking they are going to have as much security as they did before, and cut back on the ticket people.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Mike Myers on April 28th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Its is REDICULOUS how many roller coasters have only ONE or TWO trains in operation! Why they don't have ALL trains in operation is beyond me!
Mike Myers

Postby Mike Myers on April 28th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Six Flags NEEDS to get ALL the rides back in NORMAL operation FAST! I mean REALLY FAST! I am NOT planning on visiting the park until MOST of the rides are in normal operation! Having one or two trains in operation on the roller coasters REALLY SLOWS the lines down SIGNIFICANTLY!
Mike Myers

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on April 28th, 2013, 7:45 pm
Mike Myers wrote:Six Flags NEEDS to get ALL the rides back in NORMAL operation FAST! I mean REALLY FAST! I am NOT planning on visiting the park until MOST of the rides are in normal operation! Having one or two trains in operation on the roller coasters REALLY SLOWS the lines down SIGNIFICANTLY!

1)opening day never has every ride in operation
2)six flags is doing all the can to get all the rides open to full operation
3)reasoning for this is because they probably had low maintenance people or had to cut them back on hours to save money so stop complaining and making pointless topics and deal with what you got. not the end of the world plus there still opening
SFGAm Visits 2016 - 81
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby coasterkidd100 on April 28th, 2013, 7:48 pm
If your not happy with the park then don't go. It's as simple as that!
coasterkidd100

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum