Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Ride(s) for 2014

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAm Viper on August 21st, 2013, 2:22 pm
The resident complaints are kinda fun to hear seeing as though it won't change anything. I think they know that but just want their voices heard or, in this case, broadcast all over the Internet :)

The new ride will definitely be quieter than Iron Wolf was, so I bet that will be brought up at some point.
SFGAm Viper

Postby ilrider on August 21st, 2013, 2:44 pm
^The ride might be quieter, but the screams sure won't be! :D
ilrider

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 21st, 2013, 2:52 pm
My favorite has to be from Vertical Velocity's Zoning Meeting when Jim Wintrode (The park's GM at that time) claimed that V2 would be quieter than Whirligig. I imagine that must have angered the neighbors for quite some time :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby SFGAm Viper on August 21st, 2013, 3:41 pm
^I was there and don't remember that. You were seriously there? What were you? 12?
SFGAm Viper

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 21st, 2013, 3:48 pm
^ You're right. Good thing we have the internet :lol:

http://www.gurnee.il.us/ZBA/minutes/10-25-2000

Jim Wintrode, Vice President & General Manager of Six Flags Great America, stated that this roller coaster will reach a height of 185 feet at two points. The coaster will be quieter than the ride that it will replace because it will utilize magnetic force in order to propel upward, rather than using chains and mechanical equipment.
DejaVu2001

Postby SFGAm Viper on August 21st, 2013, 3:55 pm
Lmao wow no way he said that!

At least it would be the truth this time!
Last edited by SFGAm Viper on August 21st, 2013, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFGAm Viper

Postby BroServant7 on August 21st, 2013, 3:59 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ You're right. Good thing we have the internet :lol:

http://www.gurnee.il.us/ZBA/minutes/10-25-2000

Jim Wintrode, Vice President & General Manager of Six Flags Great America, stated that this roller coaster will reach a height of 185 feet at two points. The coaster will be quieter than the ride that it will replace because it will utilize magnetic force in order to propel upward, rather than using chains and mechanical equipment.

What ride did V2 replace anyway?
BroServant7

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 21st, 2013, 4:03 pm
^ Whirligig.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterZ on August 21st, 2013, 4:12 pm
screamscape is talking about a launched wooden coaster now. Any thoughts? i know it is just speculation but its fun to talk about

" A bit of speculation has come my way about the SFGAm 2014 wooden coaster project. While we were discussing the height and speed record possibilities, we missed one possible line of thought that could turn this ride into a one of a kind creation. What if it was also the world’s first launched wood coaster? Just something to think about."
CoasterZ

Postby BroServant7 on August 21st, 2013, 4:16 pm
CoasterZ wrote:screamscape is talking about a launched wooden coaster now. Any thoughts? i know it is just speculation but its fun to talk about

" A bit of speculation has come my way about the SFGAm 2014 wooden coaster project. While we were discussing the height and speed record possibilities, we missed one possible line of thought that could turn this ride into a one of a kind creation. What if it was also the world’s first launched wood coaster? Just something to think about."

I'm no engineer and granted things have been done that I didn't think were possible... but somehow this just doesn't seem like a practical option to me. If you're going to have a launch coaster, I don't see wood as a good option... but it could happen.
BroServant7

Postby CoasterZ on August 21st, 2013, 4:36 pm
yeah it doe snot make sense ill be the first to agree. Being so close to the announcement alot of speculation will come out of it. Ive also k now screamscape to be right though alot more times then not lol.... Looking forward to the announcement
CoasterZ

Postby Turtle_Power on August 21st, 2013, 4:45 pm
IF any company could make a launched wooden coaster it would be RMC. I think there could be a great shot at it if not on topper track then on I Box track. Even though most enthusiasts don't consider I Box to be a true wooden coaster I know that the general population would not make that distinction.
Turtle_Power

Postby JimPanky on August 21st, 2013, 4:58 pm
I would love to see a wooden launched. It would be the biggest moment in coaster history for sfgam since Batman. And yes it will be on YouTube Jon said on the zone
JimPanky

Postby CoasterZ on August 21st, 2013, 5:39 pm
5 wooden coasters in the park as well.... sorry i count eagle as two its two seperate tracks. Even if not, thats 4.... that is kickazzz
CoasterZ

Postby GoBears on August 21st, 2013, 5:44 pm
And not just a high number of any wooden coasters but very good wooden coasters. I mean, Little Dipper isn't more than a kids coaster but it is a piece of Chicagoland history. Viper is one of the best cyclone styled wooden coasters if not the best. American Eagle is my favorite coaster in the park though it could use some paint, retracked helixes, and an updated station. All of the wooden coasters at the park are great so I'm thrilled to have one that has the potential to not only be the best at the park but one of the best in the world.
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby [jonrev] on August 21st, 2013, 5:45 pm
kossdude1 wrote:
[jonrev] wrote:If it hasn't been mentioned earlier: if you can't be at the meeting tonight you can watch it live
here, or by searching for the show "SFGAmZone" on your mobile device's USTREAM app.

Will it also be on YouTube for anyone who can't watch it at that time?

It kind of only works half the time, but the broadcast should automatically upload to Ustream once I cut it. Otherwise, yes it will be on YouTube sometime tonight - and in much better quality as I'm also shooting with the regular camera.
[jonrev]

Postby CstrFan512 on August 21st, 2013, 5:52 pm
[jonrev] wrote:Image

Love the high tech set up! Lol
CstrFan512

Postby rb1 on August 21st, 2013, 5:54 pm
Does anyone knows if RMC make steel coasters at all? If not maybe this could be theyre first steel launch or 4d coaster in the world thats has the steepest drop and fastest launch I doubt it will be the tallest will have to wait and see. If blue side is getting a topper track that just ruin the ride for everyone why not do both side and make it the first steel hybrid racing coaster. Camera looks awesome Jon keep us posted.
rb1

Postby ilrider on August 21st, 2013, 6:04 pm
^Gurnee mayor said it is a wooden coaster, so that is what I am expecting.
ilrider

Postby rizash on August 21st, 2013, 6:12 pm
Soooooo not to start any rumors or anything.... but what if eagles helix were to get re tracked and maybe eagle were to get a high tech higher speed synchronized lift system. Eagle could do 70 if you had 4mph more roll at the end of the lift. That would be all I would want as an upgrade to eagle. Make the helix smoother, add a little more speed and make it a real race again.
rizash

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on August 21st, 2013, 6:18 pm
rizash wrote:Soooooo not to start any rumors or anything.... but what if eagles helix were to get re tracked and maybe eagle were to get a high tech higher speed synchronized lift system. Eagle could do 70 if you had 4mph more roll at the end of the lift. That would be all I would want as an upgrade to eagle. Make the helix smoother, add a little more speed and make it a real race again.

And to be repainted.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 21st, 2013, 6:30 pm
rizash wrote:Soooooo not to start any rumors or anything.... but what if eagles helix were to get re tracked and maybe eagle were to get a high tech higher speed synchronized lift system. Eagle could do 70 if you had 4mph more roll at the end of the lift. That would be all I would want as an upgrade to eagle. Make the helix smoother, add a little more speed and make it a real race again.

I highly doubt that adding 4mph to a 30 year old ride is as easy as you think.
DeathbyDinn

Postby rizash on August 21st, 2013, 6:50 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:

I highly doubt that adding 4mph to a 30 year old ride is as easy as you think.

If eagle does the advertised speed of 66mph with the inching start it does now, or did with the holding brake when new.... then it would be easy to get 4mph more. To be honest I would be happy with helix track work paint and a sync start. If holding brake or more speed then all the better.
rizash

Postby bluebear816 on August 21st, 2013, 6:51 pm
I'm so excited!

40 minutes left
bluebear816

Postby CoasterMike on August 21st, 2013, 7:22 pm
Today when I was on X Flight, I asked the ride operator what the new ride was going to be. It will be a wooden roller coaster with a steel track. I am not lying here about this. I even have a relative who works at SFGAm and he told me that it was true. We are going to get a wooden roller coaster with steel track. Both my cousin and the ride operator did not know who/what the designer will be (probably Rocky Mountain Construction). I can't wait till August 29th when they release all the details about the ride.
CoasterMike

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum