Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Jerrykoala2112 on September 1st, 2011, 6:31 am
Revolutionary Wing Coaster Coming to
Six Flags Great America in 2012

First Theme Park in the U.S. to Announce Plans to Build State-of-the-Art Wing Coaster

Gurnee, Ill. (September 1, 2011) – Get ready to take flight! Six Flags Great America announces plans to add a state-of-the-art roller coaster for the 2012 season. X-Flight is a ground-breaking wing coaster featuring cutting-edge technology. The Gurnee theme park is the first to announce plans for a wing coaster in the U.S.

X-Flight will take riders on a flight that defies gravity, with no track above or below them. Riders sit in pairs, suspended on either side of the track with their feet dangling, as they begin their climb up a 12-story plunge launching them into speeds of 55mph through 3,000 feet of intense drops and five inversions, including a barrel roll and zero-g roll. One of the most adrenaline-pumping moments on the ride is an extreme fly-through where the coaster speeds straight toward a structure, before making a last-minute vertical flip to fit through a keyhole cut-out.

“Six Flags Great America has a long history of introducing legendary rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America Park President. “What makes
X-Flight so unique is soaring through 3,000 feet of high-speed drops, loops and turns, with nothing above or below you. The coaster’s train actually looks like a plane with seats suspended on either side of the track. It’s like nothing you have ever experienced before. We are thrilled to bring this revolutionary wing coaster to our guests for the 2012 season.”

X-Flight is designed by acclaimed Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, who also designed Six Flags Great America favorites: Raging Bull, SUPERMAN: Ultimate Flight and BATMAN: The Ride. The wing coaster will make its home in the County Fair section of the park. Construction begins this Fall. X-Flight is scheduled to open Spring of 2012.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a free 20-acre water park, spectacular shows, a nighttime illuminated parade and three children’s themed areas. Soar on X-Flight all season long with a 2012 Season Pass, now on sale for $64.99 for four or more. Buy now and get a
2012 Season Parking Pass free. Sale ends October 30, 2011.

http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/x-flight/

Well, I think it was totally worth the wait! This ride looks amazing!
Jerrykoala2112

Postby RBullFan97 on September 1st, 2011, 6:43 am
Wow! This is definately one of the best additions to SFGAm in a long time! And I loved that video that Jim-Reid Anderson put out. I think our 9 years of waiting has finally paid off.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby gottastrata33 on September 1st, 2011, 6:44 am
I N C R E D I B L E .................I'm totally in love.
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 7:10 am
X-FLIGHT BABY! This thing looks more insane than I thought it'd be. Six Flags, I love you.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 7:11 am
Sorry dp
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Cryptkeeper on September 1st, 2011, 7:18 am
So, Dollywood's announcement is only 3 days away, apparently. I wonder how their new B&M will be different, if at all. ;) :lol:

Anyway...this is the first new SF B&M in awhile, isn't it? When was the last one built?

Under Shapiro, I thought SF would never buy another one, which kind of makes me think this ride was ordered as soon as he was shipped out..though of course I could be wrong. :)
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 7:22 am
Im sure this ride was ordered right after "Chang".
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby Cryptkeeper on September 1st, 2011, 7:31 am
For those that don't want to d/l the video, a streaming video of the ride can be found at:

http://www.wgntv.com/blogs/leshock-valu ... 5469.story
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby acquaz10 on September 1st, 2011, 7:48 am
ragingbull1331 wrote:This ride looks awesome, I have a feeling Dollywood is going to get "Chang'd" and not get a Wing Rider.

and Cole was right about this ride for weeks yet everyone sort of ignored/tried to get rid of him. :lol:

Yeah he was right about pretty much everything... Next time you should listen.
acquaz10

Postby Muck Finnesota on September 1st, 2011, 7:49 am
Looks great. Not only is it not a Eurofighter/Zacspin, it's not Raptor either! That is 3 W's in my book. Watching that video, the train *tears* through the layout, as opposed to the crawling that Raptor features- so unless Six Flags sped up the video for marketing purposes, McVeen illustrations are usually spot-on.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 7:52 am
acquaz10 wrote:
ragingbull1331 wrote:This ride looks awesome, I have a feeling Dollywood is going to get "Chang'd" and not get a Wing Rider.

and Cole was right about this ride for weeks yet everyone sort of ignored/tried to get rid of him. :lol:

What, right that it was a Wingrider?

Yeah I don't think he was alone on that...
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 7:53 am
Anyone have the link to the video?
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby ilrider on September 1st, 2011, 7:54 am
The keyhole element looks awesome! The drop is going to be fun too. The video really pumped me up!
ilrider

Postby Cole on September 1st, 2011, 7:57 am
rct2wizard360 wrote:
acquaz10 wrote:

Whatelse... 5 inversions, 120 ft., X-Flight name, and every time I hinted something you guys shut me down. Funny how I was right... probably just a lucky guess right?
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 8:24 am
Cole wrote:
rct2wizard360 wrote:
acquaz10 wrote:Yeah he was right about pretty much everything... Next time you should listen.

Whatelse... 5 inversions, 120 ft., X-Flight name, and every time I hinted something you guys shut me down. Funny how I was right... probably just a lucky guess right?

120ft was pretty easy for everyone to get because the park hadn't applied for a variance. Galvan linked me to trademark filing for "X-Flight" at least a month ago. You could also clearly get five inversions from the puzzle.

You didn't really give us any new information that no one could already assume.
Still not looking at you as an "inside source."

Cryptkeeper linked to the video in his post.
rct2wizard360

Postby Galvan317 on September 1st, 2011, 8:30 am

Dude, we've known about this ride for over a year, you think the "Oracle" wingrider April Fools Day prank was a coincidince? Take your soapbox somewhere else.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby rct2wizard360 on September 1st, 2011, 8:33 am
BP/19 wrote:

Dude, we've known about this ride for over a year, you think the "Oracle" wingrider April Fools Day prank was a coincidince? Take your soapbox somewhere else.

rct2wizard360

Postby CoasterNick3157 on September 1st, 2011, 9:06 am
Those colors for the ride are awsome. The park is going to make mad money on flash pass which I'm sure they will offer.
CoasterNick3157

Postby coasterbone on September 1st, 2011, 9:44 am
I had my doubts but this looks pretty sweet! TPR has animation with full POV at the end.
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... 9#p1083899
Record is 1994. 57 visits. I'm still bruised.
coasterbone

Postby AceStriker on September 1st, 2011, 9:45 am
CoasterNick3157 wrote:Those colors for the ride are awsome. The park is going to make mad money on flash pass which I'm sure they will offer.

Most likely they will. I think they will do exactly what they did with Green Lantern at sfmm. Pay for platinum flash pass and pay an extra 15 dollars to get the pass for X-flight for a specific time.
AceStriker

Postby CoasterBGW on September 1st, 2011, 9:55 am
CoasterBGW

Postby CoasterNick3157 on September 1st, 2011, 10:00 am
This ride is gonna kick A##
CoasterNick3157

Postby MrRy10 on September 1st, 2011, 10:33 am
I'm ready for a new coaster.park was getting boring riding the same coasters over and over again.can't wait :D
MrRy10

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 1st, 2011, 10:36 am
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:
Revolutionary Wing Coaster Coming to
Six Flags Great America in 2012

Well, I think it was totally worth the wait! This ride looks amazing!

So, about the inversions, I see the dive loop thing off the lifthill, I see a heartline roll through the tower thing, I see a corkscrew after the lift hill one, than an inclined loop before the tunnel thing (square box thing) and another zero-g roll.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby stockboy300 on September 1st, 2011, 10:50 am
Wow for me they can't get IW out of their fast enough. I wonder if track is showing up yet.Wow I'm pumped its going to be along winter waiting. I hope they have a web cam on that spot for the tear down and the build of x-flight.:-)
stockboy300

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum