Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Six Flags/Cedar Fair Merger

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on July 6th, 2024, 5:41 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I rode Woodstock at 3 parks. Nice ride , twice as along at Little Slipper. Who cares about the "nostalgia " value of a 700 ft long wooden coaster?

As for Vekoma I seriously hope Six Flags does NOT get any of their rides. I have yet to ride a Vekoma that's not rough, let alone enjoyable. I've been on a few boomerangs, inverted boomerang, SLC's , and now a Flying Dutchman. They're all garbage in my opinion.

There's a reason they're stuff is relatively cheap compared to the other companies.

I’ve heard about how those rides suck too, but those are old Vekoma rides, which didn’t age the greatest. The ones that I mentioned are “New Age” Vekomas, as I believe they are referred to. Looking at reviews on Captain Coaster, a lot of the reviews for Big Bear Mountain, Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers, and Good Gravy! mention smoothness. (Big Bear less than the others, but still.) Heck, Vekoma can make better SLCs. Just look at Great Nor’Easter! If you think it is unlikely that SFGAm could get a Family Boomerang, well Cedar Fair practically owns both Kings’ Island and SFGAm, and if Kings’ Boomerang is successful, then CF, I mean SF, will want to add more to parks. Bad capacity? Just add one of those fancy turntables!

If SF really wanted to, they could destroy Little (emphasis on little) Dipper and place the station for the Boomerang there! The Boomerang could weave around the go-karts if Six Flags was that adamant about keeping them. In my eyes, it’s a win-win! However, now that CF is pretty much in charge of SF, they probably won’t mind destroying the go-karts for a new coaster.

coasterfanatic wrote:Not to mention that a lot of Disney coasters are Vekoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s true, but part of what makes those coasters so great, like theming, is only possible thanks to a giant like Disney which is full of money. Credit where it’s due though, even without all those extra theming elements, Cosmic Rewind and Expedition Everest are pretty stunning.

EDIT: Yeah, I’m basically just recapping what ChicagoCoasters said.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby JackGlass on July 6th, 2024, 6:29 pm
I wonder if they will take down those shade structures and reinstall the Ameri-Go-Round in Revolutions plot next year for the 50th season. That would be a nice family addition and a throwback to the Marriot era
JackGlass

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 7th, 2024, 12:02 am
Big Bear Mountain is still super new. See how it's running in 10, 15, 20 years.

BTW, why didn't Holiday World name the new ride "Gravy Train" ? Much more clever than Good Gravy in my opinion....
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby briphotoguy on July 7th, 2024, 2:40 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Big Bear Mountain is still super new. See how it's running in 10, 15, 20 years.

BTW, why didn't Holiday World name the new ride "Gravy Train" ? Much more clever than Good Gravy in my opinion....
God I hope BBM doesn’t age badly. What a home run for the park. Thankfully it’s at Dollywood also as they seem to take really good care of their rides! Just got back from Tennessee for a first time visit there. Platinum park that offers a great lineup of all rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
briphotoguy

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 8th, 2024, 2:06 pm
JackGlass wrote:I wonder if they will take down those shade structures and reinstall the Ameri-Go-Round in Revolutions plot next year for the 50th season. That would be a nice family addition and a throwback to the Marriot era

Hope so, i'm down for anything Marriott
Old Great America was better, however I hope just a bit of that charm comes back
GreatAmericanfox

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 8th, 2024, 2:07 pm
My hopes for the 50th is that it they add something (coaster/flat/etc) i hope they take the theming into consideration
Old Great America was better, however I hope just a bit of that charm comes back
GreatAmericanfox

Postby Coaster Justin on July 9th, 2024, 6:20 am
GreatAmericanfox wrote:
JackGlass wrote:I wonder if they will take down those shade structures and reinstall the Ameri-Go-Round in Revolutions plot next year for the 50th season. That would be a nice family addition and a throwback to the Marriot era

If we're going to bring back anything Marriott, How about Sky Whirl?
943 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 9th, 2024, 8:29 am
Coaster Justin wrote:
GreatAmericanfox wrote:

That would be * gold! Especially since That plot hasn't had anything good. Better than that dive coaster everyone wants
GreatAmericanfox

Postby Goku1910 on July 9th, 2024, 1:07 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:
GreatAmericanfox wrote:

How would that even be possible?
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on July 10th, 2024, 10:00 am
GreatAmericanfox wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:If we're going to bring back anything Marriott, How about Sky Whirl?

That would be * gold! Especially since That plot hasn't had anything good. Better than that dive coaster everyone wants

As much as I would love a Dive coaster called “Power Dive” or “Cajun Cliffhanger,” bringing back the Sky Whirl would be even better. First, the fact that Buccaneer Battle’s plot is now available is just too perfect. Don’t you just love a coincidence? Second, it would bring in way more crowds. Unlike the new coasters which some folks won’t ride or can’t ride due to health issues, everybody — big or small — could ride the Sky Whirl.

The only problem with the Sky Whirl is that its original manufacturer, Waagner-Biro, went out of business. Sure, they worked with Intamin, so they don’t matter that much since Intamin is still in business, but would Intamin even still have the blueprints?
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Coaster Justin on July 10th, 2024, 7:47 pm
OK, Being "Realistic" I'd love to see a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz replace Go Karts/Buccaneer Battle.

Yes I've been on it and loved it.

Coaster Justin

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 10th, 2024, 10:22 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:OK, Being "Realistic" I'd love to see a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz replace Go Karts/Buccaneer Battle.

Nah, there's an employee walkway in the middle, and having a coaster crossing both plots will ruin the separation between County fair/Yukon Territory
Last edited by GreatAmericanfox on July 10th, 2024, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatAmericanfox

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 10th, 2024, 10:23 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:
GreatAmericanfox wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:If we're going to bring back anything Marriott, How about Sky Whirl?

As much as I would love a Dive coaster called “Power Dive” or “Cajun Cliffhanger,” bringing back the Sky Whirl would be even better. First, the fact that Buccaneer Battle’s plot is now available is just too perfect. Don’t you just love a coincidence? Second, it would bring in way more crowds. Unlike the new coasters which some folks won’t ride or can’t ride due to health issues, everybody — big or small — could ride the Sky Whirl.

The only problem with the Sky Whirl is that its original manufacturer, Waagner-Biro, went out of business. Sure, they worked with Intamin, so they don’t matter that much since Intamin is still in business, but would Intamin even still have the blueprints?

I know someone wanted a dark ride on one of the plots, which would be a good idea, just don't know how they can get it to fit with the themed areas
GreatAmericanfox

Postby Coaster Justin on July 11th, 2024, 5:32 pm
GreatAmericanfox wrote:
Coaster Justin wrote:OK, Being "Realistic" I'd love to see a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz replace Go Karts/Buccaneer Battle.

Nah, there's an employee walkway in the middle, and having a coaster crossing both plots will ruin the separation between County fair/Yukon Territory

Like How Goliath is in County Fair and Yukon Territory?

Coaster Justin

Postby GreatAmericanfox on July 11th, 2024, 5:55 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:
GreatAmericanfox wrote:

Like How Goliath is in County Fair and Yukon Territory?

Simple: Six Flags doesn't care about theming/cohesion

I can kinda excuse Goliath only because it's out of the way of everything else, compared to the County/Yukon coaster you guys want.
GreatAmericanfox

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on July 11th, 2024, 11:30 pm
Code: Select all
d
GreatAmericanfox wrote:

SF could always theme it to a coaster that belongs to a Logging Company that the company brings to County Fair to advertise their services. The entrance could be in County Fair and the logging theming would blend right into Yukon Territory.

I actually made a backstory fitting this idea when I came up with the idea to put a Wild Moose Coaster in Buccaneer Battle’s spot. I put the full post on Page 141 or the “Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings” forum, but here’s the part that’s relevant to this conversation:

On the Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings Forum, Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote: Decades ago, loggers from the Moose Mountain Logging Company from Yukon Territory advertised their services at The Great Midwest Livestock Expedition and County Fair with their one-of-a-kind "Wild Moose Coaster," as they called it. The campaign was a huge success and every year since, the company has returned with their famous coaster to promote their brand.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 12th, 2024, 9:26 am
Blue Toad - absolutely brilliant backstory!

Coaster Justin - I love the coaster idea, but can we make it an Intamin, sort of like Maverick?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby UnclePennybags on July 24th, 2024, 8:30 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Blue Toad - absolutely brilliant backstory!

Agreed. Really good story. However, the entrance should be in Yukon. The area is devoid of any adult attraction other than Logger's Run. Any attraction big enough to bridge the two areas would be a welcome addition.

If it were even possible to design and install a new Sky Whirl, that would be my no brainer first choice. Even if you never went to the park, just driving by on I-94 and seeing that bad boy in motion, it was awesome. I don't think people remember how tall that ride was. It really was a sight to behold.
UnclePennybags

Postby Coaster Justin on July 25th, 2024, 7:59 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Blue Toad - absolutely brilliant backstory!

Coaster Justin - I love the coaster idea, but can we make it an Intamin, sort of like Maverick?

I haven't been on a new age Intamin Multi Looper so I can't comment.

Coaster Justin

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum