Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

ALL NEW FOR 2024! Sky Striker

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 20th, 2024, 10:21 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Everyone follows what Disney does sadly, and Disney's parks aren't doing particularly well these days.

I don't see this lasting weeks, so don't worry too much. When I went to King's Island for Orion' they were doing reservations and I was there not long after its opening day....maybe 2 weeks or so after.

They had it in the morning and it was gone by mid-day. Reservations will most likely be enforced for a bit then dumped.

One thing I did see at the park that was concerning was the amount of queue space for Striker...they probably could have fit an overflow on the side between X-Flight if Guests entered on the same side where the power building is....but no.

We were at Kings around Orion's opening. They gave you a paper "access pass" to get in line during a 30 minute window to ride! Please tell me there aren't expecting people to make a "reservation" for Sky Striker using their phones?? I am NOT a phone person at all lol! I don't even the app for our park on my phone.

As for the queue being too small I mentioned that here about a week ago.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on June 20th, 2024, 10:24 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Everyone follows what Disney does sadly, and Disney's parks aren't doing particularly well these days.

I don't see this lasting weeks, so don't worry too much. When I went to King's Island for Orion' they were doing reservations and I was there not long after its opening day....maybe 2 weeks or so after.

They had it in the morning and it was gone by mid-day. Reservations will most likely be enforced for a bit then dumped.

One thing I did see at the park that was concerning was the amount of queue space for Striker...they probably could have fit an overflow on the side between X-Flight if Guests entered on the same side where the power building is....but no.

We were at Kings around Orion's opening. They gave you a paper "access pass" to get in line during a 30 minute window to ride! Please tell me there aren't expecting people to make a "reservation" for Sky Striker using their phones?? I am NOT a phone person at all lol! I don't even the app for our park on my phone.

As for the queue being too small I mentioned that here about a week ago.
No. It stays you must go to the front of the ride to obtain a reservation. So it will likely be some sort of paper system!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 20th, 2024, 10:55 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:Well, this is very weird to me & I think it's going to confuse & p*ss off the GP cause even with signs posted through the park, many people are going to walk up to that thing confused & not knowing.

To be fair, I think the GP would be angry even if the park didn’t implement this system.

https://ibb.co/dKZ7MLK
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Goku1910 on June 21st, 2024, 9:42 pm
Welp. I rode it today and it's about as good as they all say but man I hope they have better ops tomorrow. It was rough.

It went down almost constantly for the restraints not locking, it would activate the hydraulic that pushes it down, but it wouldn't "click" to lock so it doesn't move up or down anymore. I was literally on it when it happened for the who knows how many times in a row.

As for Zamperla, I don't know why they insist on tiny seats. I know they're Italian and they're small but come on......I'm not a large person by any means and even I find it to be on the small side.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on June 21st, 2024, 11:04 pm
Is it true that there is still no “themed portal” for the ride and that sent up tents as “temporary” shade structures? Wow.

Just wait if the ride isn’t ready. Geez.

coasterfanatic

Postby Goku1910 on June 21st, 2024, 11:09 pm
Correct.

But define themed portal. The sign structure is there, just missing the logo.
Last edited by Goku1910 on June 22nd, 2024, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on June 21st, 2024, 11:10 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Correct.

But define themed portal. I he sign is there, just missing the logo.
The sign. Six Flags doesn’t call ride entry signs “signs”. They call them themed portals. The sign structure is there but the physical “Sky Striker” sign is not yet, correct?

coasterfanatic

Postby [jonrev] on June 22nd, 2024, 1:35 am
Correct as of Thursday. Structure's in place, logo absent.
[jonrev]

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 22nd, 2024, 8:48 am
Goku1910 wrote:Welp. I rode it today and it's about as good as they all say but man I hope they have better ops tomorrow. It was rough.

It went down almost constantly for the restraints not locking, it would activate the hydraulic that pushes it down, but it wouldn't "click" to lock so it doesn't move up or down anymore. I was literally on it when it happened for the who knows how many times in a row.

As for Zamperla, I don't know why they insist on tiny seats. I know they're Italian and they're small but come on......I'm not a large person by any means and even I find it to be on the small side.

Is it a ratcheting pin (like Maxx Force) or a hydraulic deal (like Giant Drop? ?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on June 22nd, 2024, 12:12 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Welp. I rode it today and it's about as good as they all say but man I hope they have better ops tomorrow. It was rough.

Is it a ratcheting pin (like Maxx Force) or a hydraulic deal (like Giant Drop? ?

I don't know actually.

As for reservations. They already killed it today as of 1:00
Goku1910

Postby CoastsToCoasters on June 22nd, 2024, 12:24 pm
Well, Happy Sky Striker opening day. Post pics & let me know what y'all think of the reservation system.
CoastsToCoasters

Postby Goku1910 on June 23rd, 2024, 1:47 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Well, Happy Sky Striker opening day. Post pics & let me know what y'all think of the reservation system.

Reservation system didn't last today. Was abandoned after the first two sets.

Looks like they could barely keep the damn ride running.

It closed sometime after 6 today, but it was testing a lot. Seems to run with no people on it.

If I had to guess, people playing with the restraints makes it fault.
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 24th, 2024, 6:01 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

I don't know actually.

As for reservations. They already killed it today as of 1:00

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel like Zamperla has been struggling lately, specifically in the Midwest. Obviously, TT2 has to close a week after opening, but now SS is having restraint problems? TT2 is understandable given it is Zamperla’s first time doing something like TT2, but SS isn’t Zamperla’s first Giga/Giant Discovery. Sure, rides break down but many times on opening day. Wow.

As for the reservations being cancelled, SS’s opening just sounds like a total disaster. I wasn’t there, so I could have it all wrong but…
1. Sign wasn’t finished,
2. Restraints kept failing,
3. Ride had to constantly go down for maintenance as a result, and
4. A temporary shade structure was installed.

I would say I’m disappointed, but this is Six Flags. I’m not disappointed. This is what I expected. On the bright side, a while back the merger was approved entirely so we won’t have to deal with this bull from Selim for much longer!
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Goku1910 on June 27th, 2024, 9:37 am
Opening Day of SS was as disastrous as you're thinking. Same for the diamond preview. (I'm in your video Coaster Nick, if you can find me)

Seems to me like people playing with the restraints makes it fault, or sometimes I just don't hear the "click" when the restraints lower so they're failing to lock completely. I only managed to get two rides in but Zamperla needs to get an engineer here to troubleshoot and train our own maintenance team.

With the amount of downtime, it's fairly obvious they can't determine where the issue starts and just reset it until it happens again. At least the ride runs fine without people on it? lol
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Sven18 on June 27th, 2024, 5:41 pm
If people pull down on the restraints and don't let it come down automatically when the operator presses the button to, the ride can throw an error code & shut down the ride. At other parks they are very adamant and loud over the speaker, not to pull down the restraint.
Sven18

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 27th, 2024, 9:30 pm
Are the restraints similar to what the super loop had?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on July 1st, 2024, 9:30 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Are the restraints similar to what the super loop had?

I'd say no. Super Loop I think was a little more simple? I was on another Zamperla ride at King's Island. Forget the name but it's kind of like an enterprise (Orbit) but more open. It has the exact same restraint as that but maybe a little bigger.

.....and just as uncomfortable.
Goku1910

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 1st, 2024, 9:43 pm
Goku1910 wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Are the restraints similar to what the super loop had?

I'd say no. Super Loop I think was a little more simple? I was on another Zamperla ride at King's Island. Forget the name but it's kind of like an enterprise (Orbit) but more open. It has the exact same restraint as that but maybe a little bigger.

.....and just as uncomfortable.

Sol Spin?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby FParker185 on July 2nd, 2024, 11:23 pm
Ride is designed/built by Soriani. Has standard Soriani restraints, so same as other giga discoverys, endeavors, that thing at Kennywood amongst a few others.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Voltron Nevera, Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 232, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 894, Wood: 179, Total: 1073
FParker185

Postby Goku1910 on July 6th, 2024, 6:57 pm
I don't know what the issue was but Sky Striker is running way more consistently today.

I don't recall any downtime for my first ride and so far no downtime while in line for my 2nd.
Goku1910

Postby Tardis1972 on July 12th, 2024, 11:22 pm
Got my first couple rides on Sky Striker today. Best flat ride in the park no question. I also had an interesting experience on Superman today. Our train had to be unloaded on the brake run. Issues with train ahead of us in the station.
Tardis1972

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on July 28th, 2024, 5:19 pm
Finally got a ride today with X-Flight going through the Immelmann just as we were swinging in that direction. So cool!
Sucker for a launch, custom audio and Demon | Coaster Count: 623
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby briphotoguy on August 6th, 2024, 11:15 am
I want to go ride Sky Striker soon here. Has it been operating pretty regularly? I've been on Max Air at CP and loved it. I think SS is a bit taller then that. Can't wait to go try it out for myself.
briphotoguy

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on August 6th, 2024, 11:58 am
briphotoguy wrote:I want to go ride Sky Striker soon here. Has it been operating pretty regularly? I've been on Max Air at CP and loved it. I think SS is a bit taller then that. Can't wait to go try it out for myself.

Yeah. I rode it after it had just rained and it was one of the first rides to reopen. Just note that the ops might say that the ride has paused operations. This is usually due to somebody messing with the restraints. In that case, just wait 10 minutes or so and the ride will be back up and running.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby [jonrev] on August 7th, 2024, 10:09 am
Rode it last week, full-ish queue with no downtime is an hour wait. Solid addition.
[jonrev]

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum