Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby HCF on June 5th, 2024, 9:16 pm
Anyone hear rumblings of an ERT event happening this Thursday? I can't find any mention of it on the app or website but I keep hearing talk of one
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby Goku1910 on June 5th, 2024, 9:38 pm
HCF wrote:Anyone hear rumblings of an ERT event happening this Thursday? I can't find any mention of it on the app or website but I keep hearing talk of one

See my reply in the Sky Striker thread here.
Last edited by Goku1910 on June 6th, 2024, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goku1910

Postby Sven18 on June 6th, 2024, 11:16 am
JackGlass wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:
JackGlass wrote:I have a feeling Cedar Fair will eventually fix the American Eagle. Once Zimmerman becomes CEO, I think the focus will be more on Beautification, upkeep and adding marketable attractions.
But part of Salims strategy has been beautification plus more benches and shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True! I just think Cedar Fair does a better job at it. lol

Selim talked a big game about improving parks and just like everything with him, it's just talk. Cedar Fair has proven over the last decade they can do the "premiumization" that Spanos and then Selim talked about. They have spent massively on new themed areas, better theming of rides with story lines in some cases, higher quality/high capacity restaurants, remodeled essentially all their resorts/hotels and built a new one at Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland hotel project permits have been rekindled, after the Covid delay, expect that within the next couple of years.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on June 6th, 2024, 10:06 pm
This being the perfect example. Six Flags removes Revolution and slaps down some asphalt and a half assed shade structure. Cedar Fair would rip that asphalt out. install nice pavers, a nice dining area and beautify the entire area. They just go the extra mile
Attachments
Unilock_ILC_OH_Cedar-Point_KuhlOutdoor_2m.jpg
JackGlass

Postby BCarroll on June 9th, 2024, 10:01 pm
Not to mention, seemingly half the park was a construction site opening weekend, and still is? Six Flags is apathetic in trying to actually improve their parks. If they cared, they would have made the old Revolution plot look stunning. No asphalt, no vinyl signs over 1/3 of the games gallery, no chipped paint, etc. That area essentially looks like a parking lot. It looks trashy.

A family friend just got back from Hersheypark and noted how clean and beautiful everything looked, especially at the front gate. Then, she proceeded to comment on how it makes Great America look like fairgrounds. Trust me when I say that the general public takes notice. But, at the end of the day, people will still come and put money into Six Flags' pockets regardless. The $1.30 surcharge seems to be a hot debate, but I get why they have it. The issue is, is there anything even worth buying in terms of food/merchandise that warrants a surcharge? Or, treat it like a tax and put every cent from that surcharge into buying something like pavers for new areas. Maybe if our locals would see the likes of a Kings Island, Hershey, Cedar Point, perceptions would change.

Im glad to see that the park is seeing crowds early on. On my second of two visits, the park was packed. Nonetheless, walking around and seeing the atrocious nature of the park, I have no desire to come back this season. There is nothing cohesive in our park anymore. A T-Mobile-esque pink shade structure and a Chicago sports bar in the Southwest? That's realistic. Bare steel showing all over the Bull, the park's signature attraction? Nice touch. My children were young when Camp Cartoon was first opened and the aura it was was mesmerizing for a kid. I wonder what my daughters would think if they saw it now? I sure hope NOLA is nothing like the park's current take on Mardi Gras. I'm also glad the Speedy Parking tolls are smoothly working in full effect. Hey, at least Viper is running great.I got my rides on my timeless favorites, but the 4 hour drive to KI or CP is almost worth it to go often, knowing the poor experience a 15 minute drive gets me.

Now that I got all that out, I hope Sky Striker and the park's new entrance is a glimmer of hope, but I am not betting the mortgage.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 10th, 2024, 7:16 pm
BCarroll wrote:A family friend just got back from Hersheypark and noted how clean and beautiful everything looked, especially at the front gate. Then, she proceeded to comment on how it makes Great America look like fairgrounds. Trust me when I say that the general public takes notice. But, at the end of the day, people will still come and put money into Six Flags' pockets regardless. The $1.30 surcharge seems to be a hot debate, but I get why they have it. The issue is, is there anything even worth buying in terms of food/merchandise that warrants a surcharge? Or, treat it like a tax and put every cent from that surcharge into buying something like pavers for new areas. Maybe if our locals would see the likes of a Kings Island, Hershey, Cedar Point, perceptions would change.

Im glad to see that the park is seeing crowds early on. On my second of two visits, the park was packed. Nonetheless, walking around and seeing the atrocious nature of the park, I have no desire to come back this season. There is nothing cohesive in our park anymore. A T-Mobile-esque pink shade structure and a Chicago sports bar in the Southwest? That's realistic. Bare steel showing all over the Bull, the park's signature attraction? Nice touch. My children were young when Camp Cartoon was first opened and the aura it was was mesmerizing for a kid. I wonder what my daughters would think if they saw it now? I sure hope NOLA is nothing like the park's current take on Mardi Gras. I'm also glad the Speedy Parking tolls are smoothly working in full effect. Hey, at least Viper is running great.I got my rides on my timeless favorites, but the 4 hour drive to KI or CP is almost worth it to go often, knowing the poor experience a 15 minute drive gets me.

Now that I got all that out, I hope Sky Striker and the park's new entrance is a glimmer of hope, but I am not betting the mortgage.

I didn’t mind the surcharge when it was $0.99 but now it’s just ridiculous. Even worse, the discount rates for both season passes have been lowered so when I bought the cool Demon magnet from the Flags shop (which is looking to be the only thing I buy this year) the discount barely covered the surcharge, and that was when the surcharge was only $0.99! Even if the discount that was listed when I bought the season pass last year is still applied when I buy things (which I doubt) the problem is still there!

I do however think that the crowds are there only because of how populated the Chicago metropolitan area is and there isn’t any other park on SFGAm’s scale in the state. Plus, I think that the GP are too lazy to do research to find better parks. I bet if more people knew about the quality of Cedar Point or heck, even Holiday World’s free parking and free soft drinks thing, more people would make a trip in a heartbeat.

I’m glad you bring up Cedar Point though since I am visiting this July for the first time. It is easily looking to be the best theme park I have ever been to or at least just as good as Disney World. Somebody shared a picture of GateKeeper’s entrance and I was shocked at how nice it looked compared to Great America’s entrances for their coasters. I would visit more often but I honestly cannot see myself making the 5-hour drive more than one time a year. I’m only doing it this year twice since I’ve had the chances. I went to MOA in January and now I have the chance to visit CP with a lot of family, so I am seizing the opportunity.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 11th, 2024, 9:25 am
What's the surcharge you guys are talking about?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 11th, 2024, 10:31 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:What's the surcharge you guys are talking about?

On all food and merchandise sales this year, there is a $1.30 surcharge due to “increased labor & supply costs.” The surcharge was originally $0.99 but after a couple months, the surcharge was raised. On top of that, all prices on food and merchandise have been increased by 10 percent.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 12th, 2024, 10:54 pm
Wouldn't it be better for Six Flags to just raise the prices and ditch the surcharge?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on June 14th, 2024, 7:34 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Wouldn't it be better for Six Flags to just raise the prices and ditch the surcharge?

I'm not in the "All corporations are pure evil" camp, but why not both? They already did.....

This BS Surcharge is the result of multiple factors, none of which I really want to get into. Some are internal SF issues, others are external.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 19th, 2024, 10:21 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Wouldn't it be better for Six Flags to just raise the prices and ditch the surcharge?

I do think it is possible that SF is too cheap and doesn’t want to spend the money to make brand-new signs with the updated prices. It is much cheaper to just make cardstock fold-out signs to display around the park.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby coasterfanatic on June 19th, 2024, 10:22 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:

I do think it is possible that SF is too cheap and doesn’t want to spend the money to make brand-new signs with the updated prices. It is much cheaper to just make cardstock fold-out signs to display around the park.
And for some reason. They got rid of most of the digital signage at our park and reverted back to the static signs.

coasterfanatic

Postby Goku1910 on June 20th, 2024, 8:38 am
Yeah, I'll never understand that. I also have a gripe that the app doesn't give specific details about what an item actually is.

For example, the JB's replacement in SW Territory has it's menu listed in the app, but it doesn't tell you what a "Southwest Burger" actually is. What's on it? What's different about it from a normal burger? Don't know!
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on June 20th, 2024, 7:39 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Yeah, I'll never understand that. I also have a gripe that the app doesn't give specific details about what an item actually is.

For example, the JB's replacement in SW Territory has it's menu listed in the app, but it doesn't tell you what a "Southwest Burger" actually is. What's on it? What's different about it from a normal burger? Don't know!
Agreed, and only places that have mobile orders have prices as well.

The digital signage is so much easier to manage and change pricing but they probably didn’t want to pay for the software or whatnot.

coasterfanatic

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 20th, 2024, 11:10 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Yeah, I'll never understand that. I also have a gripe that the app doesn't give specific details about what an item actually is.

The digital signage is so much easier to manage and change pricing but they probably didn’t want to pay for the software or whatnot.

You know corporate for companies, they never care about the environment. Heck, Selim probably doesn’t feel an ounce of guilt for creating a bunch of paper signs that were probably trashed, not recycled, and making brand-new signs with more paper-like material!

Also, does anybody think it’s weird that the middle of Windy City Sports Bar & Grill says “GO PACK GO”? You would think it would say the Bears or even better, the Bulls. (Since Jordan played for the Bulls and Looney Tunes characters appear in the park. The connection is self-explanatory for those who have watched Space Jam.) While looking at my map, I noticed that Windy City Sports Bar and Grill is mislabeled as “Windy City Sports Bar.” I know it really doesn’t change anything at all, but I find it hilarious that the mapmakers made such a mistake.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby coasterfanatic on June 20th, 2024, 11:21 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:

You know corporate for companies, they never care about the environment. Heck, Selim probably doesn’t feel an ounce of guilt for creating a bunch of paper signs that were probably trashed, not recycled, and making brand-new signs with more paper-like material!

Also, does anybody think it’s weird that the middle of Windy City Sports Bar & Grill says “GO PACK GO”? You would think it would say the Bears or even better, the Bulls. (Since Jordan played for the Bulls and Looney Tunes characters appear in the park. The connection is self-explanatory for those who have watched Space Jam.) While looking at my map, I noticed that Windy City Sports Bar and Grill is mislabeled as “Windy City Sports Bar.” I know it really doesn’t change anything at all, but I find it hilarious that the mapmakers made such a mistake.
They make a lot of mistakes on the map. At one time, it called Batman “floorless”

And yes, but given that Gurnee is halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago, that’s probably why.

coasterfanatic

Postby LuigiU2 on June 23rd, 2024, 5:44 pm
idk if this is new or interesting but i noticed new nanocoasters for demon, whizzer, and viper that i've never seen before
LuigiU2

Postby HCF on June 24th, 2024, 2:12 pm
BCarroll wrote:Not to mention, seemingly half the park was a construction site opening weekend, and still is? Six Flags is apathetic in trying to actually improve their parks. If they cared, they would have made the old Revolution plot look stunning. No asphalt, no vinyl signs over 1/3 of the games gallery, no chipped paint, etc. That area essentially looks like a parking lot. It looks trashy.

A family friend just got back from Hersheypark and noted how clean and beautiful everything looked, especially at the front gate. Then, she proceeded to comment on how it makes Great America look like fairgrounds. Trust me when I say that the general public takes notice. But, at the end of the day, people will still come and put money into Six Flags' pockets regardless. The $1.30 surcharge seems to be a hot debate, but I get why they have it. The issue is, is there anything even worth buying in terms of food/merchandise that warrants a surcharge? Or, treat it like a tax and put every cent from that surcharge into buying something like pavers for new areas. Maybe if our locals would see the likes of a Kings Island, Hershey, Cedar Point, perceptions would change.

To play to the other side, what about how horrible Cedar Fair treats it's smaller parks? What if they see us as another Geauga Lake? Great America may be a construction site but that indicates signs of change, most of the smaller parks are only now getting something, even still most if it is as half assed. Don't even mentioned what's happening with our sister park
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby Goku1910 on June 24th, 2024, 2:16 pm
I really don't blame Cedar Fair all that much when it comes to Cali Great America. The city and the businesses that neighbor the park have been a giant pain in the ass making it damn near impossible for that park to operate for profit.

Disputes over noise, parking, zoning, etc.
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on June 24th, 2024, 6:33 pm
Goku1910 wrote:I really don't blame Cedar Fair all that much when it comes to Cali Great America. The city and the businesses that neighbor the park have been a giant pain in the ass making it damn near impossible for that park to operate for profit.

Disputes over noise, parking, zoning, etc.

Well, I find it really funny that the mayor and such are devastated by the news about the closure of the park when they had everything in their party to prevent the shutdown. The biggest thing the city could have done is not sell the land for the park in 2019, but they did. Like Goku said, there were lots of complaints about the park but now the city is sad to see it go? What?

What I’m most worried about the park though is the time capsule. I’m hoping that the city takes it and keeps it safe but who knows. It would be devastating for many if it was disregarded and thrown away or became lost.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby GreatAmericanfox on June 24th, 2024, 7:05 pm
I'm sad about the history being lost as i'm passionate for both Great Americas, mostly Gurnee ofc, but i keep up with Santa Clara too
GreatAmericanfox

Postby coasterfanatic on June 24th, 2024, 7:16 pm
HCF wrote:
BCarroll wrote:Not to mention, seemingly half the park was a construction site opening weekend, and still is? Six Flags is apathetic in trying to actually improve their parks. If they cared, they would have made the old Revolution plot look stunning. No asphalt, no vinyl signs over 1/3 of the games gallery, no chipped paint, etc. That area essentially looks like a parking lot. It looks trashy.

To play to the other side, what about how horrible Cedar Fair treats it's smaller parks? What if they see us as another Geauga Lake? Great America may be a construction site but that indicates signs of change, most of the smaller parks are only now getting something, even still most if it is as half assed. Don't even mentioned what's happening with our sister park
I’m not worried. Great America is one of the most profitable parks in the Six Flags chain. If anything, they will invest even more money into and get it back to its former glory. At least, that’s the hope.

coasterfanatic

Postby Coaster Justin on June 25th, 2024, 2:25 am

Oh Like California's Great America. Let me guess, You want multiple trains on coasters too unlike Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (1 Train on Medusa and Joker, 2 Cars on Their Free Spin, 1 Boat on their Shoot the Chutes-- I'm not kidding)
943 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on July 7th, 2024, 4:11 pm
I don’t know if anybody cares, but here are some…

Minor Park Updates

- Trolley Treats, or whatever it’s called is being rethemed into “What Floats You?”, which serves ICEE/Soda Ice Cream Floats and Cookies
- Adrenal!ne debuted in Hometown Square (Was it good?)
- County Fair Mix It Up/Cotton Candy Factory - County Fair finally opened this season
- Non-Alcoholic Fish Bowl drink and Alcoholic Summer Smash drink debuted for a limited time

In other news, Six Flags is coming to Roblox for some reason. I’d say they’re a little late to the party, especially since people have already been making SF parks like CP in the game for some time now, but whatever “floats you,” I guess.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Coaster Justin on July 9th, 2024, 6:18 am
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:I don’t know if anybody cares, but here are some…

Minor Park Updates

- Trolley Treats, or whatever it’s called is being rethemed into “What Floats You?”, which serves ICEE/Soda Ice Cream Floats and Cookies
- Adrenal!ne debuted in Hometown Square (Was it good?)
- County Fair Mix It Up/Cotton Candy Factory - County Fair finally opened this season
- Non-Alcoholic Fish Bowl drink and Alcoholic Summer Smash drink debuted for a limited time

In other news, Six Flags is coming to Roblox for some reason. I’d say they’re a little late to the party, especially since people have already been making SF parks like CP in the game for some time now, but whatever “floats you,” I guess.

What Floats You is really good. I like the Superman and Wild Cherry.
Adrenaline is pretty bad in my opinion; I don't know if I'm old, The singing was bad, the speakers are bad, the microphones are hot but I didn't understand 2/3 of the songs.
943 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum