Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Park Opening delayed due to COVID-19 virus

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby JackGlass on March 23rd, 2020, 3:10 pm
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... -of-tampa/

Looks like some of those college students who defied orders and had their beach party have tested positive for the Virus.

As much as it sucks to see theme parks close. I completely understand their reasoning. This virus can spread fast! If there was an outbreak at Great America, the negative press would do serious damage to the brand name.

We'll have to settle for watching POV's on youtube for the time being :lol:
JackGlass

Postby JimPanky on March 24th, 2020, 10:07 am
Anyone know if any membership fees will be reimbursed?

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 24th, 2020, 12:46 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ And yet in the post you originally made, you only specifically called out the two points that actually are related to the park

Which two points are you referring to and which post?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 24th, 2020, 1:36 pm
^
viewtopic.php?p=258796#p258796
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Others are talking about schools, e-Learning, the Shelter-In-Place, etc. That has nothing to do with the park either. This thread is about Corona 2019 virus.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 24th, 2020, 5:36 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^
viewtopic.php?p=258796#p258796
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Others are talking about schools, e-Learning, the Shelter-In-Place, etc. That has nothing to do with the park either. This thread is about Corona 2019 virus.

All I did was mention some more positive things that can come out of this. UnclePennyBags listed some positive things and I merely added onto them.

I'd encourage you to reread post by UnclePennybags on March 19th, 2020, 6:43 pm. It talks only about the Chinese corona virus and mentions nothing about the park.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby UnclePennybags on March 24th, 2020, 8:46 pm
With respect to one of my previous posts, in that I was trying to provide context for Six Flags' decision to delay the opening day for Great America. I was also providing my opinions for why the media might not be covering the outbreak in a more positive light.

At this time, COVID-19 is highly contagious amongst the U.S. population. Most people under 39 without underlying health issues appear to be able to slough off the effects of this virus. Some don't even know they were infected. For those over the age of 70 or with underlying health issues, almost 1 in 10 can die if infected.

To slow the transmission rate of COVID-19, containment policies have been put into effect for many places that host crowds of people. Great America is one of those places. Hence, a delay in the 2020 operating season.
UnclePennybags

Postby JimPanky on March 25th, 2020, 12:38 pm
I got a message back saying that they will be posting something tomorrow about things they will be doing for people with memberships.

JimPanky

Postby UnclePennybags on March 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm
JimPanky wrote:I got a message back saying that they will be posting something tomorrow about things they will be doing for people with memberships.

Just memberships? I wonder if season passes will get anything back due to the shortened season.
UnclePennybags

Postby JimPanky on March 25th, 2020, 1:11 pm
Not sure. I said that I had a membership so we'll find out tomorrow.

JimPanky

Postby Tardis1972 on March 30th, 2020, 12:18 am
So according to Screamscape Six Flags is making a virus announcement today. My guess is they’re just going to announce all the park closures will be extended until mid May.
Tardis1972

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 30th, 2020, 9:10 am
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/p ... g-schedule

Six Flags has been updating hours this morning. The earliest possible opening day for SFGAm is now May 19th.
DejaVu2001

Postby anewman35 on March 30th, 2020, 11:19 am
They've also added membership and season pass info.

In short, memberships get an extra month free (at the end of the membership) for every month the park is closed, plus a free one level upgrade for the 2020 season (unless you're an old Regular or Gold member, in which case you get a permanent upgrade to Gold Plus).

Passholsers will get days at the beginning of 2021 based on how ever many days they're closed this year.

More details (but not a ton more details) at https://m.sixflags.com/greatamerica/pla ... rus-update
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 30th, 2020, 11:38 am
And another update

Extension of Park Closures until at Least Mid-May Announced by Six Flags

March 30, 2020

Reduces Salaries for Management and Team Members

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation (NYSE: SIX), the world’s largest regional theme park company and the largest operator of waterparks in North America, today announced that all the company’s parks will remain closed until mid-May, or as soon as possible thereafter, reflecting federal and local restrictions in place to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. The company will continue to closely monitor the evolving global health crisis and follow the most current guidance from federal, state, and local officials as it assesses when it can reopen some or all of its parks.

The company also announced it is reducing salaries for all executive officers and team members in an effort to enhance the company’s financial flexibility while it faces the operating and financial impact of COVID-19. Effective April 6, 2020, the company is taking the following measures:

Reducing base salaries of executive officers by 25%
Reducing salaries of all full-time salaried employees, subject to state and federal minimum thresholds, by 25%
Reducing scheduled hours for full-time hourly employees by 25% to 30 hours per week

These changes allow employees to retain their existing health plan coverage at current premiums.

“The safety and well-being of our guests and team members is our most important priority,” said Mike Spanos, President and CEO. “While these actions are difficult for all of us, they will help the company weather the current crisis by reducing expenses. We decided to decrease salaries rather than implement a workforce reduction to ensure our team members have income and health benefits so that Six Flags has an experienced workforce in place when we are in a position to re-open our parks. Our hope is that these measures are only temporary and will help bridge the financial gap the company is facing, in the fairest manner possible, until we can return to normal operations.”

https://investors.sixflags.com/news-and ... -161511960
DejaVu2001

Postby JimPanky on March 30th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Here's their Facebook.Image

I haven't received the e-mail but my wife has. Also, I'm curious if this will be automatic or what we have to do to activate the upgrade.

JimPanky

Postby anewman35 on March 30th, 2020, 5:29 pm
JimPanky wrote:Here's their Facebook.Image

I haven't received the e-mail but my wife has. Also, I'm curious if this will be automatic or what we have to do to activate the upgrade.

It's all on the webpage. But I think it's all automatic.

'You do NOT need to take any special action to receive these benefits -- your account will automatically be upgraded as soon as Six Flags Great America reopens.'
anewman35

Postby JimPanky on March 30th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Didn't see that. Thank you.
anewman35 wrote:
JimPanky wrote:Here's their Facebook.Image

It's all on the webpage. But I think it's all automatic.

'You do NOT need to take any special action to receive these benefits -- your account will automatically be upgraded as soon as Six Flags Great America reopens.'
JimPanky

Postby CoasterRiderSC on March 31st, 2020, 12:21 pm
From the article listed above (https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/p ... rus-update):

"What are you doing for Season Pass Holders?
Thank you for being a 2020 Season Pass Holder! It's important to us that we provide you with all of the value you paid for. For each operating day that the park is closed during the 2020 Season, we will give you one additional operating day during the 2021 season. We will also be providing bonus free friend days and special benefits this summer when we re-open to make up for the inconvenience."

I'm wondering how they will actually give us passholders one additional operating day during 2021 season for each day the park is closed in 2020.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DeathbyDinn on March 31st, 2020, 1:25 pm
^ I'd assume that, say the park is closed for 30 days, instead of 2020 Season Passes expiring at the end of the season, they would expire 30 days into the 2021 season.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Sven18 on March 31st, 2020, 2:36 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:^ I'd assume that, say the park is closed for 30 days, instead of 2020 Season Passes expiring at the end of the season, they would expire 30 days into the 2021 season.

Which really does very little for 95% of people since the only parks open in January are like MM,DK,FT & Mexico.
Sven18

Postby UnclePennybags on March 31st, 2020, 6:11 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:^ I'd assume that, say the park is closed for 30 days, instead of 2020 Season Passes expiring at the end of the season, they would expire 30 days into the 2021 season.

I want to use my 30 days on the days with the best weather or during Fright Fest. :D
Last edited by UnclePennybags on April 1st, 2020, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby anewman35 on March 31st, 2020, 8:46 pm
Sven18 wrote:

Which really does very little for 95% of people since the only parks open in January are like MM,DK,FT & Mexico.

I have to assume it's based on the park the season pass was bought for, or they're just asking for pissed off customers. I.e. if you have a SFGAm pass and SFGAm is closed for 25 operational days (the first few weeks and the beginning of daily operations, say) you would get the first 25 operational days at SFGAm of 2021. But a SFMM holder might get 60 days. The interesting part is what they do for people trying to go to other parks...

None of this will matter for a lot of people, though, because it doesn't really help you at all if you're buying a 2021 pass.
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on April 1st, 2020, 5:31 pm
It should be pointed out that even mid-May seems ridiculously optimistic for parks reopening. By all accounts, we're going to have many many thousands of people dying all through April. That's not just going to stop in 6 weeks or whatever. And even once the strictest 'stay at home' orders are done, there will probably be a lot of less strict 'social distancing' recommendations for a while. Keep in mind too that many events well into the summer have canceled already. Basically I really wouldn't bank on going to the park anytime soon...
anewman35

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum