SFGAmWorld.com
Untitled Document
Park Information
New for 2019
Ride Status
Park Information
Latest News
Park Pricing
Park Map
Accomadations
Current Weather
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Thoughts on the S&S Axis Coaster?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on November 19th, 2019, 5:54 pm
What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Specs:
http://s-s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Axis-Coaster.pdf
Image

Videos:
S&S Promo:
https://youtu.be/uehCqnCRVDU

Marcus Leshock Interview:
https://youtu.be/5sTw2NKlfH8
staticshadows

 
Posts: 457
Joined: August 18th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Postby JackGlass on November 19th, 2019, 6:21 pm
I would love to see one come to Great America.

That thing looks absolutely insane
JackGlass

User avatar
 
Posts: 395
Joined: July 29th, 2018, 2:37 am

Postby CoasterNick3157 on November 19th, 2019, 10:11 pm
I'm betting one will be at our park in the next 4 years
CoasterNick3157

User avatar
 
Posts: 432
Joined: April 4th, 2008, 11:35 pm
Location: Yorkville, IL

Postby UnclePennybags on November 20th, 2019, 2:30 am
staticshadows wrote:What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Looks a little gimmicky, but I'd like to see some other park install one to gauge its popularity and reliability. I wouldn't want to buy the first one from S&S.
UnclePennybags

User avatar
 
Posts: 275
Joined: June 23rd, 2015, 10:22 pm
Location: South of Canada

Postby Sven18 on November 20th, 2019, 11:46 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
staticshadows wrote:What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Looks a little gimmicky, but I'd like to see some other park install one to gauge its popularity and reliability. I wouldn't want to buy the first one from S&S.


Gimmicky, which means Six Flags is licking their lips...lol. SF probably slightly regretting putting Free Spins at bigger parks like GAdv, SFGAM, etc... This is in the same genre, 4D axis ride. It would be weird to put them in the parks with Free Spins, but it's SF so...........it's a possibility.

The Top initial candidates likely the parks w/o Free Spins & top 1/2 of the chain parks, ie....MM & Over Georgia. This would be a good fit for Magic Mountain as they appeal to more of the the thrill crowd in SoCal. Over Georgia is in sequence for a coaster in 2021. If I were in charge, I would relocate GAm & GAdv Free Spins when they come up for new coasters & add these instead. This is a legit full coaster unlike Free Spins & is what big parks should get, even though the capacity is suspect. But, SF doesn't care about capacity.

My Axis coaster plan if running SF & using their clone strategy
2021 SFOG & SFFT(relocate free spin to STL)
2022 SFGAm(relocate free spin to Am or DL)
2023 SFMM & SFGAdv(relocate free spin Am or DL)

In General I think SF might start doing more relocations b/c with the Capex restraints & adding more parks to give something new to every year, it makes things easier. Also, some rides are not appreciated at big parks but would be at the lower tier parks...ie...SFFT last year on a busy day their 4D was 5 min wait ti walk on all day, while Wonder Woman & Iron Rattler were jammed.
Sven18

 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 10th, 2017, 10:28 am

Postby Jodon on November 20th, 2019, 12:56 pm
The axis model looks great and I think it's different enough that parks wouldn't think twice about having an Axis coaster and a Free Spin.

Doesn't SF use SFFT as their test park where they get most or all of the recent prototypes? If so, I'd expect them to get the first one in the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

 
Posts: 206
Joined: February 6th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Postby JackGlass on November 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm
New for Six Flags Great America in 2021. Wonder Woman: Axis Coaster! :lol:
JackGlass

User avatar
 
Posts: 395
Joined: July 29th, 2018, 2:37 am

Postby CoasterDave316 on November 20th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Sven18 wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:
staticshadows wrote:What do you think about the S&S Axis Coaster concept and would you want to see one built at SFGAm?

Looks a little gimmicky, but I'd like to see some other park install one to gauge its popularity and reliability. I wouldn't want to buy the first one from S&S.


Gimmicky, which means Six Flags is licking their lips...lol. SF probably slightly regretting putting Free Spins at bigger parks like GAdv, SFGAM, etc... This is in the same genre, 4D axis ride. It would be weird to put them in the parks with Free Spins, but it's SF so...........it's a possibility.

The Top initial candidates likely the parks w/o Free Spins & top 1/2 of the chain parks, ie....MM & Over Georgia. This would be a good fit for Magic Mountain as they appeal to more of the the thrill crowd in SoCal. Over Georgia is in sequence for a coaster in 2021. If I were in charge, I would relocate GAm & GAdv Free Spins when they come up for new coasters & add these instead. This is a legit full coaster unlike Free Spins & is what big parks should get, even though the capacity is suspect. But, SF doesn't care about capacity.

My Axis coaster plan if running SF & using their clone strategy
2021 SFOG & SFFT(relocate free spin to STL)
2022 SFGAm(relocate free spin to Am or DL)
2023 SFMM & SFGAdv(relocate free spin Am or DL)

In General I think SF might start doing more relocations b/c with the Capex restraints & adding more parks to give something new to every year, it makes things easier. Also, some rides are not appreciated at big parks but would be at the lower tier parks...ie...SFFT last year on a busy day their 4D was 5 min wait ti walk on all day, while Wonder Woman & Iron Rattler were jammed.


Nothing about this post makes any sense at all. The free spins and the axis coasters look like completely different ride experiences. It's no more a gimmick coaster then a inverted coaster, flying coaster or 4d coaster.

It looks like a innovative new ride that would fit in great at SFGAm or any other theme park. I am looking forward to seeing where one of these ends up.
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 2677
Joined: December 27th, 2002, 10:32 am
Location: Oak Lawn

Postby Sven18 on November 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm
CoasterDave316 wrote:Nothing about this post makes any sense at all. The free spins and the axis coasters look like completely different ride experiences. It's no more a gimmick coaster then a inverted coaster, flying coaster or 4d coaster.

It looks like a innovative new ride that would fit in great at SFGAm or any other theme park. I am looking forward to seeing where one of these ends up.



IT'S A 4D COASTER. They just aren't calling it what it actually is, an actual 4D like X2 is a an actual 4D, free flys are not true 4D.
Sven18

 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 10th, 2017, 10:28 am

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 21st, 2019, 3:56 pm
Looks very interesting. My concerns are:
1) Capacity - I would hope they make a 12 or 16 person train
2) Reliability - the trains doing inversions AND rotating around an axis just seem to be a mechanical nightware in terms of keeping the ride running. Add the air launch to this thing and you could have a recipe for the ride being down all the time (ala Deja Vu)
3) How tall and fast would they make these? The prototype they showed is like 50 feet tall (if that).

I also do see this ride being quite different than Free Spins (ie Joker) because you're rotating laterally and NOT front to back and the track itself will allow natural inversions. I would think a ride like this could be a big hit (if it's not down all the time!)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

User avatar
 
Posts: 937
Joined: August 4th, 2016, 1:20 pm
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL

Postby gottastrata33 on November 22nd, 2019, 3:50 am
I love It. I too think it has six flags all over it. I'd love one here. I see It completely different from what Joker is. I'm expressing opinions that have already been mentioned but I agree. Let's get one! Bet we'd get a deal already havin two S&S coasters haha
gottastrata33

User avatar
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: September 5th, 2005, 12:41 am
Location: Chicago, IL.

Postby Sven18 on November 22nd, 2019, 11:32 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Looks very interesting. My concerns are:
1) Capacity - I would hope they make a 12 or 16 person train
2) Reliability - the trains doing inversions AND rotating around an axis just seem to be a mechanical nightware in terms of keeping the ride running. Add the air launch to this thing and you could have a recipe for the ride being down all the time (ala Deja Vu)
3) How tall and fast would they make these? The prototype they showed is like 50 feet tall (if that).

I also do see this ride being quite different than Free Spins (ie Joker) because you're rotating laterally and NOT front to back and the track itself will allow natural inversions. I would think a ride like this could be a big hit (if it's not down all the time!)



Concern 3 answered from the spec sheet---height 115ft & max speed 53mph
Sven18

 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 10th, 2017, 10:28 am


Return to Six Flags Great America Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Privacy Policy About Us Copyright Disclaimer E-Mail SFGAmWorld
COPYRIGHT - SFGAmWorld.com
All content and images on this site are Copyright 2001 - SFGAmWorld.com and may not be used without permission.
This is NOT the official site of Six Flags Great America, SFGAmWorld.com is not affilated or endorsed by Six Flags Great America.
SFGAmWorld.com does not make any guarantee on the accuracy of the information on this website and cannot be held responsible by the use of this information.
SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. ®, TM and © . The official Six Flags site can be found at SixFlags.com
BATMAN, SUPERMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of © DC Comics.
LOONEY TUNES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.©
The Wiggles Pty Ltd. SCOOBY-DOO and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna-Barbera.