Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

New Ride(s) for 2014

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby FParker185 on February 10th, 2013, 9:31 pm
GCI? The next big thing? Maybe back in 1996. Under my rock RMCC Iron Horse and/or topper track is the next big thing, along with Prefab wood coaster construction in general.

Also 90% of the GP don't even realize when a ride is relocated unless that specific fact is marketed. I bet most people who visit SFStL next year will not realize that Boomerang came from another park, and the small percentage that know, won't care in the least because it's new to them.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby Goku1910 on February 10th, 2013, 9:43 pm
FParker185 wrote:GCI? The next big thing? Maybe back in 1996. Under my rock RMCC Iron Horse and/or topper track is the next big thing, along with Prefab wood coaster construction in general.

Also 90% of the GP don't even realize when a ride is relocated unless that specific fact is marketed. I bet most people who visit SFStL next year will not realize that Boomerang came from another park, and the small percentage that know, won't care in the least because it's new to them.

Iron Horse isn't wood. Nice try though. :lol:

(I don't consider hybrids wooden coasters)
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby FParker185 on February 10th, 2013, 9:47 pm
It doesn't matter what you consider. Name me one steel coaster that's gotten the iron horse or topper track treatment.
FParker185

Postby Goku1910 on February 10th, 2013, 9:54 pm
Trains on a Hybrid ride on steel yes? Doesn't matter what supports it, it's still a nice and smooth, STEEL ride. Just because the supports are made of wood, it doesn't make it a wooden coaster.

GCI's offer the best of both worlds, smooth ride but still traditional. No Steel topper track needed.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on February 10th, 2013, 10:28 pm
MForce4ever wrote:So where is our classic out and back wooden coaster? And let me direct your attention perhaps to SFStL whom have 3 adult sized wooden coasters.

Let me direct your attention to Fiesta Texas, who don't have ANY wooden coasters. Maybe you should join SFFT's fan-site and spread your fairy dust knowledge on saving the Big Dipper over there.
Last edited by Jerrykoala2112 on February 10th, 2013, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby FParker185 on February 10th, 2013, 10:29 pm
I'll explain it so even you can understand it. The next big thing in the world of wooden coasters is tearing up it's wood track and replacing it with technologically advanced steel track. I agree it's no longer a wood coaster then, but it doesn't matter. That's what's on track to be the next big thing for wood coasters.

Mike Boodley designed his first coaster in 1993, formed his own company and built a ride in 1996. They are old news, and most of their rides lack the kind of intensity you see from CCI/Gravity Group and the Intamin Prefabs. They're like the B&M's of the wood coaster world, none of them are all that exciting, but they are always at least ok and keep the GP entertained and parks happy, and they never come out with anything new or groundbreaking. 8 years after Gravity Group did it, GCI is finally coming out with some banked track that approaches 90 degrees. And everyone is still waiting for anything approaching Ejector airtime on any GCI.
FParker185

Postby DeathbyDinn on February 10th, 2013, 10:32 pm
This is the last time I'm responding to you because I can feel my brain cells dying from talking about this.

MForce4ever wrote:Come on, you know racing is another gimmick.

Not sure why you said this as I never brought up gimmicks, but ok.

MForce4ever wrote:Ok then a racing, a twister and an out and back shouldn't be a problem right?

Eagle has an out and back layout and Viper isn't really a twister.

MForce4ever wrote:Oh so relocating/rebuilding an old wooden coaster is a giant waste of money? We better tell Bay Beach, Knoebel's, Great Escape, SFNE, Frontier City and SFA they wasted their money.

Those are all totally different scenarios as those parks didn't already have three wood coasters.

MForce4ever wrote:So these people tried both rides even though they seemed similar in nature? well it seems like they would probably try another one then.

Right, let's just install more of the same instead of something new. That's super fun.

And with that, I'm done talking about this as conversation has lasted far too long for such a dumb idea.
DeathbyDinn

Postby MForce4ever on February 11th, 2013, 8:17 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Try to put yourself in the shoes of the people who have Six Flags St. Louis, would you be pissed if your park advertised a old ride as new? I would be.

I'm sure their customers were pissed about their drop tower and ninja
I'm irreverent and stuff...
MForce4ever

Postby MForce4ever on February 11th, 2013, 8:39 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:This is the last time I'm responding to you
Thank God! You'd think being proven wrong multiple times would have more of an impact, but whatevs.

DeathbyDinn wrote:
MForce4ever wrote:Come on, you know racing is another gimmick.

Not sure why you said this as I never brought up gimmicks, but ok.
"A rose by any other name"
DeathbyDinn wrote:theres a problem with having three of the same type of wood coasters. Screamin' Eagle is an out n' back, Boss is terrain, and America Thunder is a twister. I've ridden all three and all three provide different rides.
Which seems to me like you're describing a gimmick

DeathbyDinn wrote:
MForce4ever wrote:Ok then a racing, a twister and an out and back shouldn't be a problem right?

Eagle has an out and back layout and Viper isn't really a twister.
Racing would be the distinguishable gimmick. Also I didn't realize the Coney Island Cyclone and all knockoffs were out-and-backs, you'd better tell wikipedia and Duane that their websites are improperly identifying roller coasters.

DeathbyDinn wrote:
MForce4ever wrote:Oh so relocating/rebuilding an old wooden coaster is a giant waste of money? We better tell Bay Beach, Knoebel's, Great Escape, SFNE, Frontier City and SFA they wasted their money.

Those are all totally different scenarios as those parks didn't already have three wood coasters.
Then perhaps you shouldn't make dumb umbrella statements. But you're direct quote was
DeathbyDinn wrote: Maybe it's me but $4-$5 million for a coaster well past it's prime is a giant waste of money.
And every one of the example parks I listed did exactly what you said is "a giant waste of money."

DeathbyDinn wrote:
MForce4ever wrote:So these people tried both rides even though they seemed similar in nature? well it seems like they would probably try another one then.

Right, let's just install more of the same instead of something new. That's super fun.
I know! Doesn't SFStL's collection of woodies just bore you to death? And Holiday World's collection of woodies? snooze! amirite?!
MForce4ever

Postby DeathbyDinn on February 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Sorry, I lied, I am going to make one more response to you.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And BTW, if you're going to try to use what I said against me, at least make sure they're things I actually said. :wink:

monsterfan99 wrote:Maybe it's me but $4-$5 million for a coaster well past it's prime is a giant waste of money.
DeathbyDinn

Postby Galvan on February 11th, 2013, 9:53 pm
From a marketing standpoint, Big Dipper at SFGAm is not a very good idea.

You've got a ride no one has ever heard of from a park no one has ever heard of is going to equal a ride no one cares about. The idea of saving nostalgia is great when its something that people give a damn about.

There is little to no marketability to Big Dipper.

Whereas COME RIDE BRAND NEW LAUNCHED COASTER WHATEVER IN 2014!!!! ONLY AT SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA!!!

SAVE $20 WITH A CAN OF COKE ON GENERAL ADMISSION AND RIDE THE ALL NEW LAUNCHED COASTER WHATEVER!

Bringing Big Dipper to SFGAm is a great idea, but unfortunately from a marketing standpoint has little to offer.
Galvan

Postby FParker185 on February 11th, 2013, 10:14 pm
As an aside, why didn't the immediate former prophecy get any attention? I'm pretty positive both carried the same validity and point. Would have pointed this out 2.5 pages ago, but it's been to much fun :D

MForce4ever wrote:I heard we were gonna get both the tidal wave and z force back
FParker185

Postby superflybri on February 12th, 2013, 4:54 am
Galvan316 wrote:From a marketing standpoint, Big Dipper at SFGAm is not a very good idea.

You've got a ride no one has ever heard of from a park no one has ever heard of is going to equal a ride no one cares about. The idea of saving nostalgia is great when its something that people give a damn about.

There is little to no marketability to Big Dipper.

Whereas COME RIDE BRAND NEW LAUNCHED COASTER WHATEVER IN 2014!!!! ONLY AT SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA!!!

SAVE $20 WITH A CAN OF COKE ON GENERAL ADMISSION AND RIDE THE ALL NEW LAUNCHED COASTER WHATEVER!

Bringing Big Dipper to SFGAm is a great idea, but unfortunately from a marketing standpoint has little to offer.

It offered me closure about my childhood memories of Kiddieland. Other then that, it did not really offer anything. Except for my kids to enjoy their first roller coaster their old man rode when he was their age...
superflybri

Postby MForce4ever on February 12th, 2013, 9:40 am
FParker185 wrote:As an aside, why didn't the immediate former prophecy get any attention? I'm pretty positive both carried the same validity and point. Would have pointed this out 2.5 pages ago, but it's been to much fun :D

MForce4ever wrote:I heard we were gonna get both the tidal wave and z force back

No way, you mean this guy's just screwing with people?!
MForce4ever

Postby FParker185 on February 13th, 2013, 12:22 am
Back to relocated rides, the media in St Louis doesn't seem to concerned with it's relocated status. June opening is a little strange though.....
http://kplr11.com/2013/02/11/six-flags- ... or-summer/
FParker185

Postby Coaster Justin on February 13th, 2013, 4:40 pm
SouthBurbDude wrote:Have any of you taken Six Flags' new ride survey?

http://feedback.sixflags.com/AdvisoryPa ... NEWRIDES15

Seems like the best way to weigh in on what we want for 2014. Also, in the survey they make reference to a motorcycle coaster concept they're considering. Kinda neat. But I wasn't too impressed with that and instead encouraged them to add new flats :D

My bad if this survey has already been posted.

I HOPE that Family Guy idea was a joke.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on February 14th, 2013, 11:29 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:
SouthBurbDude wrote:Have any of you taken Six Flags' new ride survey?

http://feedback.sixflags.com/AdvisoryPa ... NEWRIDES15

Seems like the best way to weigh in on what we want for 2014. Also, in the survey they make reference to a motorcycle coaster concept they're considering. Kinda neat. But I wasn't too impressed with that and instead encouraged them to add new flats :D

My bad if this survey has already been posted.

I HOPE that Family Guy idea was a joke.

It's been said many times that every time SF released a ride survey, they throw some 'curve balls' or false answers so that it's harder to guess what the real outcome would be.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Goku1910 on February 15th, 2013, 4:46 am
^Since when are survey options "Answers"? I think I still get the point you were trying to get across though. They are asking your opinion, but I'd agree that your opinion doesn't really matter in the long run.
Goku1910

Postby CoasterZ on February 21st, 2013, 4:32 am
wonder what kind of construction nightmare it would be to turn one side of eagle iron.... get the latest and greatest and keep traditional out and back in the process? just a though ... although a launch coaster would be nice to i still want a water coaster lol
CoasterZ

Postby Coaster Justin on February 21st, 2013, 3:01 pm
FParker185 wrote:I'll explain it so even you can understand it. The next big thing in the world of wooden coasters is tearing up it's wood track and replacing it with technologically advanced steel track. I agree it's no longer a wood coaster then, but it doesn't matter. That's what's on track to be the next big thing for wood coasters.

Mike Boodley designed his first coaster in 1993, formed his own company and built a ride in 1996. They are old news, and most of their rides lack the kind of intensity you see from CCI/Gravity Group and the Intamin Prefabs. They're like the B&M's of the wood coaster world, none of them are all that exciting, but they are always at least ok and keep the GP entertained and parks happy, and they never come out with anything new or groundbreaking. 8 years after Gravity Group did it, GCI is finally coming out with some banked track that approaches 90 degrees. And everyone is still waiting for anything approaching Ejector airtime on any GCI.

We'll see on their new Fun Spot coaster http://rcdb.com/10348.htm?p=39637

Coaster Justin

Postby xcheetaht on March 19th, 2013, 4:27 pm
I've heard something new from Six Flags Great America. It's SkyScreamer.
xcheetaht

Postby Goku1910 on March 19th, 2013, 4:41 pm
Wait you heard it "for" Great America? Or you heard that "from" Someone at Great America? :lol:

Brian Griffin: Peter, only one gift was for charity. The rest were for the family.
Peter Griffin: No, the rest were FROM the family... weren't they? Aw crap, since when did they change the meaning of "for" to "from"?
Brian Griffin: I think they had a meeting about it last night.
Peter Griffin: Why wasn't I told?
Brian Griffin: They sent you a card, but it said 'For Peter' on it, so you must have thought it was FROM you, so you didn't uh... You know, it's just easier to call you stupid.
Goku1910

Postby Coaster Justin on March 20th, 2013, 2:26 am
xcheetaht wrote:I've heard something new from Six Flags Great America. It's SkyScreamer.

Great, Now I can take a nap at the park. At least they are more reliable than those Wind seekers.

Coaster Justin

Postby PfightingPolish on March 20th, 2013, 10:13 am
Coaster Justin wrote:
xcheetaht wrote:I've heard something new from Six Flags Great America. It's SkyScreamer.

Great, Now I can take a nap at the park. At least they are more reliable than those Wind seekers.

The one and only day in my life that I spent at Six Flags St. Louis, the SkyScreamer got stuck about 80 percent of the way up with a full load of riders. They were up there for about an hour and you could see them from just about all parts of the park.

I was afraid of heights growing up. I've controlled it to the point where, as long as I'm moving, I'm fine. Coasters don't bother me. The pregnant pause at the top of Giant Drop (as well as the sudden drop) does.

After seeing what I saw in St. Louis ... no thanks.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby ViperFTW on March 20th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I'm personally not a fan of them, and do not think that our park needs one. Anyway, I'm going to keep as open minded as possible this year so the announcement isn't a disappointment.
ViperFTW

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum