Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 2013 Updates 9/14 Update

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 7th, 2013, 4:42 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:Just got back. Nothing at all visible for Fright Fest that wasn't already there. For Goliath, all the Iron Wolf footers are gone, and the last Iron Wolf support is gone.

Also, Sky Trek Tower broke down before the park opened. It was stuck on the "I" in Six Flags. When I made it around at about 11:45, it was at the bottom, with about 6-8 mechanics, the Operations Manager, and Hank Salemi. I have to say, I've never seen Hank at a downtime, but that can't be a good sign :lol:

Not even anything in Necropolis? Will you be posting any pictures?
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Road Rash on September 7th, 2013, 5:53 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:Will anybody be at the park this weekend and maybe take pictures of Goliath, Fright Fest stuff, and just the park in general to update us?

I snapped this picture of the construction from the train station today.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
Road Rash

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 7th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:Not even anything in Necropolis? Will you be posting any pictures?

Nothing visible from the train in Necropolis. Unlike last year, Area 2 (the building Mausoleum is in) was still in use.

September 7th Update

Sky Trek Tower stuck before the park opened.

Well, this doesn't look too good. Yes, that is Hank Salemi hiding behind the trees

Whizzer had the speakers for the BioHazard sound effects. No other theming yet.

Fiddler's Fling and Hometown Fun Machine also had their Fright Fest speakers

Rapids is closed for the season. They've already started removing the pipes and guard rails to prepare for Wicked Woods.

Yankee Clipper is also closed for the season

New ads going in the coaster queues. Showing Deja Vu, Big Red Cars, and Bugs Bunny National Park :lol:

Goliath pictures have been added to the Goliath thread:
viewtopic.php?p=217790#p217790
DejaVu2001

Postby Viper 88 on September 8th, 2013, 12:39 am
I hope nothing serious is wrong with STT this is one of my favorite rides in the park I know what you are going to say and I absolutely do not care I love this ride. Maybe eventually down the lind ty and do a complete refurbish on the ride or put in another possibly a double decker like CP had.
Viper 88

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 8th, 2013, 1:34 am
I am sure that STT will be back up and running soon. Probably just needs some minor maintenance work or at least I hope so.
coasterkidd100

Postby RollingCoasting on September 8th, 2013, 2:58 pm
X-Flight Was Also Closed After The park opened because it got stuck on the lift, and Demon Got Stuck on The Lift at 4 Pm.
RollingCoasting

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 8th, 2013, 3:39 pm
^ Did either of them reopen later in the day?
coasterkidd100

Postby RollingCoasting on September 8th, 2013, 4:59 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:^ Did either of them reopen later in the day?

Not Sure About Demon, but X-Flight did
RollingCoasting

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 8th, 2013, 5:10 pm
^ What you saw at X Flight was part of routine morning inspections. That's called a block check. They leave a train in the first brake run and make sure the second train stops on the lift. For some reason, Maintenance didn't start X Flight until the park opened.

September 8th Update

Sky Trek Tower is closed for the season due to yesterday's issues

The "track" on the unload side of the tower has some significant discoloration. Definitely looks like that fire rumor is true. The cabin still hasn't moved, so we'll see what happens. If they can't get the ride to the point that they can move the cabin within the next couple weeks, Larry the Gorilla will not be able to make it up the tower.

The building that used to be next to the ticket booths is getting worked on.

Demon was open tonight. I didn't get to the park until 6:00, so I don't know when it opened.
DejaVu2001

Postby Viper 88 on September 9th, 2013, 12:32 am
Please start from the beginning, who what when where! Details please.
P.S. Is Larry really the name of the gorilla?
Viper 88

Postby kossdude1 on September 9th, 2013, 6:57 am
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ What you saw at X Flight was part of routine morning inspections. That's called a block check. They leave a train in the first brake run and make sure the second train stops on the lift. For some reason, Maintenance didn't start X Flight until the park opened.

September 8th Update

Sky Trek Tower is closed for the season due to yesterday's issues

The "track" on the unload side of the tower has some significant discoloration. Definitely looks like that fire rumor is true. The cabin still hasn't moved, so we'll see what happens. If they can't get the ride to the point that they can move the cabin within the next couple weeks, Larry the Gorilla will not be able to make it up the tower.

The building that used to be next to the ticket booths is getting worked on.

Demon was open tonight. I didn't get to the park until 6:00, so I don't know when it opened.

I saw you walking into Hometown Square as I was walking out. And also, Demon was open at park opening
kossdude1

Postby FParker185 on September 9th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Looks like one of the AC units blew up. If that's the case I'll bet all my chips on Sky Trek has no AC for the long term.

I guess it could also be a commutator that is in that general vicinity. This possibility would be pretty bad.
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby UWW-10 on September 9th, 2013, 9:00 pm
Well, it isn't like STT had many operational days left this season anyhow. But I'm not sure how "pressing" of an issue this is going to be for maintenance to tinker with in the next few weeks....for the sole purpose of FF props....but who knows.

It's also been quite a season for ride mishaps.....uncontrollable, but just unfortunate bad luck I guess
UWW-10

Postby Stoogie on September 9th, 2013, 9:03 pm
I don't know what the problem is with it but if Hank was out there it can't be good. It looks like the air conditioning blew a leak though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Postby jackparanoia on September 9th, 2013, 9:11 pm
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs%E2%80%8B/DOC-1032880

Someone posted this video of STT last night in the chat. There's sparks, so maybe it's not broken, but just an effect for Fright Fest. :lol:

But maybe this video might help narrow down what the problem is.

edited because I posted the wrong link.
jackparanoia

Postby UWW-10 on September 9th, 2013, 9:16 pm
^I'm hoping that was sarcasm because that was in no way normal or special effects haha :lol:
UWW-10

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 9th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Whatever the issue is, the cabin has been parked at the top of the tower now, so it is movable at this point.
DejaVu2001

Postby jackparanoia on September 9th, 2013, 9:48 pm
UWW-10 wrote:^I'm hoping that was sarcasm because that was in no way normal or special effects haha :lol:

It was

DejaVu2001 wrote:Whatever the issue is, the cabin has been parked at the top of the tower now, so it is movable at this point.

Well it has that going for it at least.
jackparanoia

Postby Jackluver18 on September 9th, 2013, 9:48 pm
Hopefully this means that Larry will be up there since they managed to move it to the top
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby FParker185 on September 9th, 2013, 10:55 pm
After seeing the vid it's either a short or a ground fault in the commutator that delivers power to the ride vehicle. The cabin can go up and down no problem but it can't rotate, be lit or anything, it's a straight up elevator for now. I doubt they'll risk using it much until that gets fixed, if it can be fixed. That's a pretty old style of commutator, I doubt it's made anymore, being so open stuff can get blown into it while being so closed that junk and metal shaving collect inside it and cause what you see in the video. It won't be cheap to fix.

I think we can pretty much rule out Larry anyways, I doubt they'd put that up there and just have a dark cabin with no effects. Maybe put it on Condor again and save some operating costs :D
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby RollingCoasting on September 11th, 2013, 8:31 pm
I forgot to mention, Batman Was also stuck with Demon on 9-7-13
RollingCoasting

Postby DeathbyDinn on September 11th, 2013, 9:58 pm
If Larry can't go on STT I hope we see this happen.

We are toying with a few different ideas for Larry the Gorilla next year. Where would you put him?

Link
DeathbyDinn

Postby Jackluver18 on September 12th, 2013, 9:50 am
I would like to see him on X-Flight if STT won't work. If they can get Larry on STT, that'll be fine for me too. I personally didn't like him on Condor.
SF trips 09 = 15
SF trips 10= 11
SF trips 11 =7
Jackluver18

Postby DejaVu2001 on September 12th, 2013, 11:05 am
He will not be on Condor this year. And if he does go to X Flight, he will not be on top of the control tower. Where ever he goes, there has to be something for him to hold on to above where he's standing (which means he'll probably be at ground level if he doesn't go up Tower).
DejaVu2001

Postby kossdude1 on September 12th, 2013, 3:45 pm
Why not just put it at ground level on STT?
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum