Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

SFGAm 2013 Updates 9/14 Update

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 5th, 2013, 4:45 pm
I just want to give props to my favorite entertainment people this year. I'm not even the type of person that loves shows at amusement parks either. They are in Hometown Square, and they sing acapella. What's sad to me is that they aren't even on the show schedule thing. The only reason I seen them is because they were singing before the Reflections show in the Grand Music Hall. They are outside though on the Ignight "stage". They look like a barbershop quartet that is at Disney World. That's how they are dressed. They sing so much better than that guy and girl singing duo that is also on the same stage at different hours of the day. I really hope Six Flags keeps them again for years to come.

On another note, I want Reflections of the 80's back. They had it for a month, and than it's gone... Now it's hippies (60's). :(
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm
August 14th Update

Ragin' Cajun has had Car #3 (a Green car) taken away from the ride.

Whizzer got a new loose item bin this morning with sliding doors for each train

The Hometown Merchandise cart is gone

igNight work

Last week, they were trimming bushes over at Raceway

Here's your Orbit update. This picture was taken a week ago. Nothing changed since.

Finally, I don't like criticizing the park, I just have to make some comments here. As a whole, the crews have been slightly slower this year, especially at Whizzer, Demon, and Eagle (though Eagle's been better recently). However, today's Whizzer crew has won the honor of being the slowest crew I have ever seen at any park. They were an embarrassment. I waited in line twice, 2 queues each time which should be a 20 minute wait. My wait times were 37 minutes and 38 minutes. During my two waits, 36 trains were dispatched. None were near interval and all but 3 were double stacks. When Whizzer runs 3 trains, the train should be sent when the train ahead of it clears the Mid-Course Brake.

Among the issues, waiting too long to open airgates, leaving airgates open too long, not checking restraints right away. When you are running 3 trains on Whizzer, you open the gates as soon as the train parks, and you should have the gates closed by the time the previous train clears the lift. You should absolutely NOT have airgates open at the Mid-Course Brake Run, nor should you be starting your restraint checks after you are already double stacked.

And finally, at NO POINT should it EVER take SIX MINUTES to send a Whizzer train. If this is how it's going to be all year, Maintenance should just take one of the trains away and get an early start on rehab.
DejaVu2001

Postby tribar on August 14th, 2013, 6:35 pm
It seems to me that whenever I ride Whizzer it stacks all the trains a lot. RB crews have been horrible too stacking all three a lot. Eagles crew was horrible on Monday as well while Vipers was good
tribar

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 14th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Whizzer does have to stack 1 train, but all trains is unacceptable. As some one that has worked at Whizzer and knows the ride better than just about anyone (except Maintenance, but I've even beat them once or twice :lol: ), I can tell you that even with 3 trains, it is the easiest "big" coaster in the park to run and hit your dispatch interval. If this crew can't handle Whizzer, I shudder at what would happen if they were sent to Raging Bull, or worse . . . Superman: Ultimate Flight.
DejaVu2001

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 14th, 2013, 8:29 pm
I've definitely noticed that crews have been slower this year. Compared to other SF parks they're still good, but compared to what the park has had in the past they aren't so great. Whizzer, Raging Bull and Eagle and where I've noticed it the most. (Although I have been noticing a lot of problems on eagle this year like with restraints getting stuck, so it's not entirely the crews fault).

I wonder what's going on with the IgNight stage. Looks like they might be planning to take it down, which is kind of a bummer since I was hoping they would use it for Fright Fest. And I'm not sure when this happened, but they replaced the two Bills lemonade stands in Yukon and SWT with Sunkist. Weird that Bills didn't even last a season.

To end on a positive note, I've noticed they put a lot of potted plants and flowers around the park this summer which makes the park look much nice in my opinion, so kudos to that.
DeathbyDinn

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 14th, 2013, 8:33 pm
I'm watching igNight closely. So far, it hasn't gone far enough for me to definitively say that this is going beyond normal seasonal "tear down".
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 15th, 2013, 12:13 am
So, they trim bushes when it doesn't even matter, but they don't trim bushes / tress when you are on the train, and you might get poked in the face by it near the picnic grove area?

Can someone fix the smell on Batman the Ride already? In the tunnel area - maybe 2nd stairs, it smells like pee. Someone had to urine in there. Hose the area down with a hose or something. In the area before the tunnel / drain pipe on Batman the Ride, it smells like poop all the way to the left - in the fenced in area. They have put this brown stuff in that area, but when I go past V2 and they have that brown stuff - mulch or whatever it is - it doesn't smell at all. It's really nice to smell pee and poop when you are waiting in line for a ride. Yeah, right.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sporlo on August 15th, 2013, 11:24 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:So, they trim bushes when it doesn't even matter, but they don't trim bushes / tress when you are on the train, and you might get poked in the face by it near the picnic grove area?

Can someone fix the smell on Batman the Ride already? In the tunnel area - maybe 2nd stairs, it smells like pee. Someone had to urine in there. Hose the area down with a hose or something. In the area before the tunnel / drain pipe on Batman the Ride, it smells like poop all the way to the left - in the fenced in area. They have put this brown stuff in that area, but when I go past V2 and they have that brown stuff - mulch or whatever it is - it doesn't smell at all. It's really nice to smell pee and poop when you are waiting in line for a ride. Yeah, right.

What are you talking about, this is good news. SF has finally started to take Batman's theming seriously!
Sporlo

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on August 15th, 2013, 6:48 pm
I was at the park yesterday as well, and there are new entrance scanners when you enter the park. It's normal when you have a season pass, but I noticed they have a finger print scanner now.
Jerrykoala2112

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on August 26th, 2013, 7:06 pm
Raging bull got its millionth rider today....once again rigged as a little girl won!
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 26th, 2013, 7:43 pm
How is this rigged exactly?
coasterkidd100

Postby PfightingPolish on August 26th, 2013, 7:56 pm
BURTONxBLUNT wrote:Raging bull got its millionth rider today....once again rigged as a little girl won!

This is kind of like complaining about the obligation to give a foul ball to a child at a baseball game.

"But I bought a Platinum Flash Pass and was re-riding repeatedly to try and be the millionth!" It's sad to me that I believe this seems like plausible enthusiast behavior.
Be a Fan!
PfightingPolish

Postby kossdude1 on August 26th, 2013, 10:24 pm
BURTONxBLUNT wrote:Raging bull got its millionth rider today....once again rigged as a little girl won!

Didn't it get its 1,000,000th rider in late July/early August last season? I thought the park was way more packed this year...
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

Postby BURTONxBLUNT on August 26th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Im not mad....I can see giving it to a younger kid as they would be very happy.....just at least the real millionth rider should get something small maybe 4/6 skip line passes for the day? anyways for it being so late im surprised it was today...I don't know if it was due to a slow crew(havnt scene very slow crews on this ride much) or if it was due to something else?
BURTONxBLUNT

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 27th, 2013, 12:20 am
^ How would they even know who the "real" millionth rider is? The turnstile is when you exit the ride and when you have 36 people getting on a ride at one time, what makes one of them the "millionth" rider? It's easier to just give it to a kid who will be happier over getting a jumbo calculator or whatever she got.
DeathbyDinn

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 27th, 2013, 5:23 am
August 26th Update

New Mardi Gras sign

Eagle Backwards is just about ready for Saturday. Both trains are already turned around and have had the tall wings put on. All that is left is to reinstall a few of the seats and flip the signs in the station and on the lift.

Krazy Kars has had theming signs installed

The signs are very cheaply made. And this one really stands out. They really need to make sure that they paint the backs of signs that aren't being placed on walls. Looks like crap, and in this particular instance, a sign on a kiddie ride says "ASS" :lol:
DejaVu2001

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 27th, 2013, 10:22 am
Finally, only took them like three years to do something about Krazy Kars. Leaving all the poles up without signs for so long made the park just look lazy (not that leaving a sign that says ass is big letters is much better). :lol:
DeathbyDinn

Postby kossdude1 on August 27th, 2013, 2:45 pm
Putting signs on the Krazy Kars gives me a whole different view on it now. Of course, like said, the backs should be painted (or possibly another sign on the other side), but it's good they actually did something with these posts.

As for they Mardi Gras sign, do you have a picture of the old one, because this looks the same to me...

Also for Kidzopolis, when will they food stand open up again? I haven't seen it open once they rethemed the area. I really hope they invest money they haven't spent on their new coaster next year to working on Kidzopolis. I really believe that if they decided to remove the Kidzopolis stage, they could fit a Vekoma Junior Coaster (85m) in that area (and no, I'm not saying this because Spacely's is boring, I just think it would be fitting to add another coaster for the kids in an area that would allow for good theming of it).

kossdude1

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2013, 3:40 pm
^^^Are the signs the trade with Six Flags America? They get Ragin Cajun, and we get signs. lol
Ilovthevu'

Postby DeathbyDinn on August 27th, 2013, 3:53 pm
kossdude1 wrote:As for they Mardi Gras sign, do you have a picture of the old one, because this looks the same to me...

Here's the sign from last year. It's pretty similar but the new one looks a little more refined.

DeathbyDinn

Postby kossdude1 on August 27th, 2013, 3:54 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:
kossdude1 wrote:As for they Mardi Gras sign, do you have a picture of the old one, because this looks the same to me...

Here's the sign from last year. It's pretty similar but the new one looks a little more refined.

Thanks!

kossdude1

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2013, 4:07 pm
I think the old sign looks better. The park wastes money on some stupid stuff that doesn't even matter. I couldn't tell you it was changed from the other one, and this other enthusiast couldn't tell.

Instead of that, buy a new rug for the Columbia Carousel. That rug looks really old / dirty. How about they paint the top of the Scenic Railway, or make the top of the Columbia Carousel somehow look a brighter color.
Ilovthevu'

Postby kossdude1 on August 27th, 2013, 4:27 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I think the old sign looks better. The park wastes money on some stupid stuff that doesn't even matter. I couldn't tell you it was changed from the other one, and this other enthusiast couldn't tell.

Instead of that, buy a new rug for the Columbia Carousel. That rug looks really old / dirty. How about they paint the top of the Scenic Railway, or make the top of the Columbia Carousel somehow look a brighter color.

How about they put fire, lazer, and fog elements on every single ride while their at it? Are you seriously complaining about rugs and paint jobs on two of the oldest rides in the park? The park can only do so much with their budget each year, and they ARE aware of what needs to be replaced/repainted. From what I've noticed, the park tends to do a really good job with spending their budget wisely.

Ex. 2013: New entrance, new funnel cake stand, igNight (costumes, effects, stage), new shows (Pictorium, Snowshoe Taphouse, 2 in Grand Music Hall), JB's BBQ and Sports bar, Loaded Dogs, new chassis allowing for namtaB, Superman Coke kiosk, need I keep going?

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the point is that if it's allowed in their budget, they'll use it to their advantage.

kossdude1

Postby DejaVu2001 on August 27th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Those Railroad coaches need way more than just paint. The inside of the roof needs to be completely redone. The wood is a mess with loose and rotting pieces, the lighting fixtures are coming loose, and the roof leaks horribly.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 27th, 2013, 5:19 pm
^Yeah, I did see a lighting fixture on the train looking like it was going to fall last time - being very loose.

Aside from that, I think for the train they really should wait a little longer for people to get on. I get the whole thing about being fast for every ride in the park, but in my opinion the train should be the only ride with a different type of schedule where it should wait a bit longer - just another 5 minutes for people to get on. It's not like the train comes back to each station in 5 minutes.
Ilovthevu'

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum