Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Necropolis on September 8th, 2011, 8:58 am
Not to sound like a d-bag here but Im surprised this topic has 10 pages worth of posts and the post just got started a week ago. Wow. Didnt know there was so much to say...or complain about :roll:
Necropolis

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 8th, 2011, 11:52 am
^I'm kind of shocked your surprised. People have been speculating about 2012 since April of this year, and that topic is right now 1350 posts. I mean the park didn't even open for 2011 when that topic was created. :lol: I can't wait for speculation of 2013 in January.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coastermonkey61 on September 8th, 2011, 1:17 pm
It's one of the biggest additions to the park in the last decade. It's allowed to be discussed
Coastermonkey61

Postby CoasterBGW on September 8th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but if it has please forgive me... :oops: I have no idea about the authenticity of this message so take it with a grain of salt.

Source: http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/0 ... HORPE-PARK
Hi THORPE PARK Mania fans.

We hope you're all excited about the arrival of THE SWARM. We're having great fun building up to its launch and we hope you are too!

We wanted to write a little message to you all following the news that Six Flags Great America will also be launching a winged rollercoaster next year very similar to THE SWARM. Some of you may have noticed that when we say it's going to be very similar, it really is going to be VERY similar. When we set about designing and developing our winged coaster we had to make sure it had the THORPE PARK stamp on it. One of the ways we achieved this was by developing the unique inverted dive at the start of the ride that will be sure to kick-off your awesome apocalyptic flight in adrenaline-fuelled style! As you can imagine then, we were quite surprised to see that the new ride at Six Flags will also adopt the 'THORPE PARK Inversion'!

While we could be bitter about this, we would actually like to wish Six Flags Great America the best of luck with the 'THORPE PARK Inversion' and we hope that this is a start of things to come, that one day the 'THORPE PARK Inversion' will become famous in the rollercoaster world! We aim high!

Thanks again for all your support and we'll see you all at Fright Nights.

The THORPE PARK Team

Source: http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/0 ... HORPE-PARK

- Edited to attribute to the original source -
CoasterBGW

Postby Goku1910 on September 8th, 2011, 2:06 pm
Yeah, I posted about this earlier, thanks for finding the full letter. I still think it's stupid, because it's causing a fanboy rage.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby ttd rox on September 8th, 2011, 2:10 pm
They aren't the first to execute that inversion either, or are they? Isn't there some other coasters with something similar from other manufacturers that feature that drop? B&M is just simply calling theirs an "inverted drop" with nothing to do with Thorpe Park. I think they are just jealous of America. :)
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby Goku1910 on September 8th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Thorpe Park is the first park to get it, But I have extreme doubts that it was Thorpe parks idea. I'm pretty sure B&M designs elements based on the land requirements they have.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CstrFan512 on September 8th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Thrope Park Inversion my A**! I've never seen another element that had a theme park's name in it and they try this. It's B&M's not yours Europe.

:lol: Just let out my inner fanboy sorry.
Don't fight the Bull, ride the Bull!

Best 2011 Moment: "I lost my phone on Raging Bull!"
"WELL I LOST A SOCK!!!"
Best 2012 Moment: "No good! DREAM ON!"
Best 2013 Moment: "I came here for Auntie Anne's pretzels and coasters......in that order!"
CstrFan512

Postby popball on September 8th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Cedar point had the first hypercoaster, and we dont call call all hypercoasters cedar point coasters.
popball

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 8th, 2011, 4:06 pm
It's not unique because it's already on Incredible Hulk.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on September 8th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Yeah but the one on Incredible Hulk starts out going up at a 45ish degree angle. This one starts at 90. In any case I don't think much is going to come out of this. As soon as fanboys let it die that is.
CoasterDude12-2

Postby Jerrykoala2112 on September 8th, 2011, 6:16 pm
If I were Thorpe Park, I'd be pretty pissed too. B&M Probably mentioned that it would be a one of kinda element, and then kinda back-handed them and designed the same element for SFGAm. Thorpe has a reason to be pissed, their one of a kind element isn't so special anymore. I'm still really excited to ride the Swarm next year, personally, I don't think the first drop is the coolest part of the ride!
Jerrykoala2112

Postby Goku1910 on September 8th, 2011, 6:29 pm
^It's called a timed exclusivity. It's "special" for only a limited time, eventually, others will catch on and say: "Wow, that's cool!" How many parks have adopted the Cobra Roll? Immelman? Stengel dive? There's always a first, but there will always be others just around the corner.
Goku1910

Postby ilrider on September 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:If I were Thorpe Park, I'd be pretty pissed too. B&M Probably mentioned that it would be a one of kinda element, and then kinda back-handed them and designed the same element for SFGAm. Thorpe has a reason to be pissed, their one of a kind element isn't so special anymore. I'm still really excited to ride the Swarm next year, personally, I don't think the first drop is the coolest part of the ride!

British humor is all it is. The repeated use of Thorpe Park Inversion does get a bit comical. They're just creating a buzz for The Swarm with their odd marketing. I've heard Thorpe is known for off-beat marketing gimmicks. Once I saw that new inverted drop on The Swarm plans, I figured we'd get one here too. I doubt B&M promised exclusivity for that element.
ilrider

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 8th, 2011, 7:07 pm
CoasterDude12-2 wrote:Yeah but the one on Incredible Hulk starts out going up at a 45ish degree angle. This one starts at 90. In any case I don't think much is going to come out of this. As soon as fanboys let it die that is.

This coaster couldn't do the 45 degrees because you need speed to do what Incredible Hulk did, and coming off of a traditional lifthill, that's why it's different. However, to me it's been done on a B&M before. However, these parks have come accustom to saying they are the first, best, whatever. For SFGAm alone, they say they are the cleanest park in the world, they have the best waterpark in the nation, and the best funnel cakes. On Sky Trek Tower, last year they said it's regarded as one of the .. I forgot the rest, but it was about the roller coasters.

I'm waiting for best bathrooms next year. For this ride, they say one of the first of it's kind in the world. Just trying anything to make it special. Than, they start saying stuff like first flying coaster in the southeast like they said for Superman Ultimate Flight at Georgia I think. To me, they are better off focusing on the experience of the ride rather than fastest, first, tallest. None of that stuff lasts really. The first of it's kind is already 1 out of 4 already.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Sporlo on September 8th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Jerrykoala2112 wrote:If I were Thorpe Park, I'd be pretty pissed too. B&M Probably mentioned that it would be a one of kinda element, and then kinda back-handed them and designed the same element for SFGAm. Thorpe has a reason to be pissed, their one of a kind element isn't so special anymore. I'm still really excited to ride the Swarm next year, personally, I don't think the first drop is the coolest part of the ride!

I said this earlier, but I think the point here is that regardless of whether Thorpe Park SHOULD be pissed or not, it should be directed at B&M, and not Six Flags, which is what Thorpe Park's fans are trying to do: blame it on Six Flags and make B&M seem like an innocent middleman.
Sporlo

Postby tribar on September 8th, 2011, 7:36 pm
Thorpe needs to stop complaing. SFGAm is more than 3000 miles away odds are most of Britain won't even know about it. I personally think it's sort of a lame element. Either go with a near vertical, vertical, or beyond vertical drop or make it an actual inversion

Goku1910 wrote:^It's called a timed exclusivity. It's "special" for only a limited time, eventually, others will catch on and say: "Wow, that's cool!" How many parks have adopted the Cobra Roll? Immelman? Stengel dive? There's always a first, but there will always be others just around the corner.

And at the time Six Flags Mexico and Busch Gardens might have been pissed when their unique element was being used but i'm sure they got over it. I'm sure at the time Magic Mountain was pissed that Hershey "stole" their idea for a looping coaster. Not sure what a Stengel Dive is though :oops: Does someone have a picture or what is a coaster that has one
tribar

Postby Goku1910 on September 8th, 2011, 7:48 pm
sorry, it's STENGAL not STENGEL. But here's a pic: http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p3231.jpg

Raging Bull has something similar (turn over the brake) but it's not quite a Stengal dive.

Fact's a fact, The Roller Coaster manufacturer decides what to do with the elements they make, if it could make the difference between making a sale and not, their decision is obvious, even if it pisses people off. Thorpe Park has not contract with B&M, thus that element is not bonded to them in ANY way.
Goku1910

Postby monsterfan99 on September 8th, 2011, 8:38 pm
This is all a PR move and hype, nothing more or less. Bravo to Thorpe for getting some free press out of this.
monsterfan99

Postby Galvan317 on September 8th, 2011, 8:41 pm
It's Merlin what do you expect, these are the same people that closed Th1rt3en on Friday the 13th because it's unlucky and had a train full of naked people ride Nemesis.
Galvan317
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby Necropolis on September 8th, 2011, 10:43 pm
^huh?
Necropolis

Postby gottastrata33 on September 8th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Yep...you heard him right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZ7h9CgrtY

This happened on both Nemesis & Nemesis Inferno.

On to the topic...while this does irritate me that Thorpe is sayin this, it did catch my eye when I saw plans for SWARM in December of 2010. I was hopin wed have it instead of a drop that Raptor or the now announced "Wild Eagle" has. However, its just an element. Both coasters will still be dramatically different because of their theme, setting, & layout!! Witht hat said, I will admit Merlin (thorpe/Alton etc) has the best & CRAZIEST PR/marketing/themes/storylines out of anyone!! in my opinion!
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby T.K. on September 9th, 2011, 10:04 am
Merlin doesn't know what to say to make SFGAm look bad. We can say SFGAm was the first to get B&M Inverted coaster, and now they have it too... Should we spit on them as well? Now they didn't only copied an element, they copied many inverted elements! that Batman has ;-)

BTW Incredible Hulk has inversion as their "first drop" element. So who copied who?
Six Flags Ameirca as the number 1 park at SFI.... this is JOKE!
T.K.

Postby thedavid on September 9th, 2011, 4:48 pm
^ So many coasters have Dive Loops. Thorpe is being stupid with this one.
thedavid

Postby Patch on September 10th, 2011, 8:40 am
Has anyone remembered that since this is a wingrider and cars are on both sides, what will the loading be like? With 2 sides will it be faster or slower?

And if dare devil dive is gone i'll be upset. That ride was reeealy fun.
Xlight total rides:
50 times and in every row except front row left wing.
Patch

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum