Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

CHANG WATCH: The Official Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 1:18 am
Oh dear that sounds terrible! haha

I do like a patriotic theme, & to admit i did a few sketches many months ago of Chang as Captain America, i liked it..... Blue track with a solid white star every so feet with red supports. I loved it! haha
I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby [jonrev] on May 28th, 2010, 1:21 am
Doubt that will happen, with Marvel owned by Disney and all.

gottastrata33 wrote:
EDIT: I see what you mean, at one point it looked like Medusa....I think its yellow but am always corrected by the fact its lime green.

That section was going to be converted to "Gotham City", hence Penguin's Blizzard River, T2's black repaint (to become a Batman ride), and Chang's yellow/purple scheme was believed to be for a Riddler themed ride. The plans were apparently dropped at the last minute.
[jonrev]

Postby traincrossing9 on May 28th, 2010, 1:33 am
I would love to see Chang receive an original theme like Raging Bull with a unique storyline. Rides like Superman and Batman are fine, but only because they are "timeless" characters. Rides shouldn't be based off of summer blockbusters like Terminator Salvation just because no one will remember what movie that was in years to come and it loses its original market and license value.
13 - GateKeeper
14 - Millennium Force
15 - Enchanted Tales with Belle
traincrossing9

Postby david on May 28th, 2010, 8:50 am
I wonder if there will be a pre-show to whatever this ride happens to be themed to.
david

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 9:15 am
With that said, I hope not to that either. I say this because of the amount of bi#@hin I hear with EVERYONE I have taken to SFGAm! GP & the coaster geeks of the CP employee world blab about its un-necessary-ness.
gottastrata33

Postby david on May 28th, 2010, 10:11 am
idk... I have a feeling due to limited space, there won't be a a preshow. That would have ben the only reason to keep the Space Shuttle building, or at least a little bit of it.
david

Postby shockwave guy mark on May 28th, 2010, 10:43 am
Didn't someone say at the town meeting they needed clearance for the highest point on Chang and another part at 137 feet? Maybe this is why...
http://rcdb.com/2216.htm
Of course I am just kiding... But that is some wishful thinking right?
I also am hoping the theme will be Bizarro... It just looks like the right ride to theme that way.
http://www.youtube.com/xKonsentox
shockwave guy mark

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 10:43 am
You know I've slowly realized that it doesn't take much land/space to put up a coaster... When you look at a map or sattellite image of a park, you see these open spot, plots of land, etc & think oh most of it or this could go there! But parks surprise us by puttin major attractions in spots you wouldn't think of first. For example, look at Goliath at SFOG. The first drops over bathrooms, & it exits the park onto the entrance road. Now like Chang goin in here, things do have to be compromised such as bathrooms, parking lot, overlapping other rides, etc. I'm just sayin to be honest, if you gave me Changs layout & told me to pick a spot, I would have chosen the ending to be in SSA spot, with the rest along HH. I would have never thought to go over the entrance plaza.
gottastrata33

Postby Goku1910 on May 28th, 2010, 11:33 am
shockwave guy mark wrote:Didn't someone say at the town meeting they needed clearance for the highest point on Chang and another part at 137 feet? Maybe this is why...
http://rcdb.com/2216.htm
Of course I am just kiding... But that is some wishful thinking right?
I also am hoping the theme will be Bizarro... It just looks like the right ride to theme that way.

Not possible. Six Flags only filed for ONE Ride.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 11:37 am
yeah true...it would fit with this "history revival" goin on but it wouldn't fit in the park anymore.....but still I don't understand the 137ft mark.
gottastrata33

Postby david on May 28th, 2010, 11:38 am
If I'm not mistaken, the 150 is the lift hill and the 137 is a ride element.
david

Postby dcrusselle on May 28th, 2010, 11:51 am
heres the video from wednesday about chang for the height variance.... enjoy! :mrgreen: http://sfgamzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1669&st=100&#entry5200202
dcrusselle

Postby SFGAm Viper on May 28th, 2010, 12:36 pm
My guess for the second number is the height of the loop. Kentucky Kingdom has a new owner now so I wouldnt expect to see any rides like GL removed either.
SFGAm Viper

Postby david on May 28th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Shapiro said " We won't remove any rides until the fair board finds a new owner" so this may be the time. :)
david

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 12:41 pm
I'm confused because at the time SFKK had the worlds largest loop on Chang I believe, standing at 121ft tall!.....now the next generation of standups gets me. BUT when they ask what the name of the ride is, it sounds like hes sayin "TERMINATOR" but i can also hear a muffled "to be announced".....hmm
gottastrata33

Postby david on May 28th, 2010, 1:05 pm
I believe he said something along the lines of, "We do not know yet".
david

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 3:28 pm
At 5:15 after they ask, it really sounds like Hank says Terminator. Haha
gottastrata33

Postby bizarroboy on May 28th, 2010, 3:40 pm
I am somewhat excited for Chang, although I wish it would be a floor less but we can't always get what we want. I hope it will be a villain theme I , like some others, are a little bit tired of just heroes. Personally I think the best villain for the park would be Doomsday, Bane (with or without Poision Ivy), Bizarro (I think it would be so cool with Superman on one side of the park and Bizarro on the other), and finally Deadstroke. Just some thoughts.
bizarroboy

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm
Well Bizarroboy, I like your thoughts. Yes, I do like the "newly" introduced Bizarro characters. I have been on both their inagural seasons, & what can be done to a coaster is pretty neat. The flames however are waaayy better on SFNE intamin but I love the SFGADv one as well. I would just hope ours has the best effects, somethin new. Anyhow, I didn't know Bizarro was a villain until 2009, or a character at all till then. Its not like the superman movie introduced too many like the Batmans & Spidermans have.
gottastrata33

Postby traincrossing9 on May 28th, 2010, 4:13 pm
I didn't even know who Bizarro was until they were retheming coasters to him, just saying.
13 - GateKeeper
14 - Millennium Force
15 - Enchanted Tales with Belle
traincrossing9

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 4:36 pm
That's what I'm sayin...
gottastrata33

Postby bizarroboy on May 28th, 2010, 4:59 pm
I didn't know who bizarro was either until the rides also. I hope they add some nice effects and KEEP THEM GOING. I'm just saying that i've been on rides in which they turn off the fog, or water cannons, or lights. I think it's rather dumb to do that.
bizarroboy

Postby Cole on May 28th, 2010, 5:35 pm
I dont want bizarro themes to turn into batman the ride themes.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby gottastrata33 on May 28th, 2010, 6:08 pm
Yeah like Holy Maverick! The mist in the tunnel, the water cannons...if the streak lights & "railroad flash" didn't work, it would take away obv. everything!

Now Bizarro(SFNE) OMG! I hope if our now "lil" chang is Bizarro, it has tunnels with that AMAZING fog/mist. Though its an Intamin, you can have tunnels on the B&M! I don't know why they didn't do that to SFGADv's?! You cannot see anything but red streaking lights, so awesome!
gottastrata33

Postby wishman35 on May 28th, 2010, 6:36 pm
Eh whatever, too bad we don't have much more to look forward to other than the revealing of the name/paint color/and possible theme.

I just am waiting for the day where they will take advantage of that 300 foot max height and give us a solid drop. Obviously I know nothing of the finances, but seeing as Bull has been the most popular ride since its inception, I wonder if ideas of a new hyper/giga coaster have ever been brought to the table and considered possible

Look at Chang's drop from the side ... looks like you can comfortably slide down that hill on a sled

http://rcdb.com/275.htm?p=16995

..and yes I realize the difference between how a stand up's drop has to be constructed differently, but it is sorta interesting how shallow it is.
wishman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum