Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

CHANG WATCH: The Official Topic

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby B&MGuy29 on May 26th, 2010, 10:04 pm
Brian,
Did any of the drawings they had show the exact location on where ride would be installed? Are they going to be utilizing the parking lot or will it all be contained within the park?
B&MGuy29

Postby BrianPlencner on May 26th, 2010, 10:11 pm
^ The drawings presented had the exact location of the ride on it. I personally did not get a picture of it, but I know of someone that did. Lets see if they post what they took.

The ride will be at the front of the park, and it will be in the location that was the Space Shuttle. However, it will NOT be going down past Viper and Whizzer and heading towards demon like we all thought. Rather, it would be more at the front of the park, in the area probably where I always park my car! I'm talking about that first row next to the go-cart track that is to the right (if you are looking at the park from the parking lot) of the handicapped parking row.

--Brian
BrianPlencner

Postby Cole on May 26th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Will the gocarts be gone?
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby B&MGuy29 on May 26th, 2010, 10:19 pm
Thanks for the info Brian!! Now I'm wondering what the footers are for by the rock wall???? Hmmmm
B&MGuy29

Postby coasterfan71555 on May 26th, 2010, 10:36 pm
According to Brian's information on the ZBA meeting, the new coaster has a lift height of 150' and another at 137'. According to the Chang info at rcdb.com (Roller Coaster Database), Chang's lift was 154', and the next tallest element was the dive loop at 103' 10". The 4 foot differential on the lift could probably be accounted for by difference in footer height. But, 137' is 34' higher than the dive loop on Chang. This begs the question: Is there an error in Hank's info, or is the layout being modified for Great America? Anyway, it will be so good to have a new signature attraction near the front gate, as I really miss Shock Wave! :P
We should all remember to be thankful to have a world-class theme park like Six Flags Great America here in our local area!
coasterfan71555

Postby rct2wizard360 on May 26th, 2010, 11:06 pm
It's going to be awesome to see a lift dominating the front of the park again, but at the same time its rather confusing. Can't wait to see what the park decides to do for theming though.

At least we got the first step out of the way!
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby BrianPlencner on May 26th, 2010, 11:08 pm
B&MGuy29 wrote:Thanks for the info Brian!! Now I'm wondering what the footers are for by the rock wall???? Hmmmm

Footers by the area that was the rock wall are for another up-charge attraction, and that is all I will say about that.
BrianPlencner

Postby [jonrev] on May 26th, 2010, 11:38 pm
Got a spyshot of the ride's location diagram from the zoning board meeting:
http://sfgamzone.com/index.php?showtopi ... t=75&#last

Not liking how it's taking over the entrance plaza.

For the record, this pic IS legal, as this was a PUBLIC meeting.
[jonrev]

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 26th, 2010, 11:53 pm
Iron Wolf could still be out in 2011 you guys. I see relocation in its future. Or the dump. Maybe a nice flt ride in that spot.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby gottastrata33 on May 27th, 2010, 12:01 am
Brian!! Haha ;) here come the "Whats?!" & "ooh n aahhs" hahaha ;)bring on the wonder of what it could be! Haha OK... Well I'm very thrilled on the news, I'm very surprised they(hank) say as much as they do/did...it kinda gave it away, I like the anticipation of Ifs & whatnot! Haha As I said before, I have full faith SFGAm will make it a nice addition & not a Scream! Or Shockwave deal here.

Now, I'm not likin that diagram either. The entrance plaza will be obv. completely different, & in my opinion, "unattractive". Why keep the GoKarts? They look trashy(again in my opinion).
We shall see the turnout. I'm still excited though! ;)
Last edited by gottastrata33 on May 27th, 2010, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gottastrata33

Postby Goku1910 on May 27th, 2010, 12:19 am
I hope the station gets a major rehab. So it's no longer a floor, and a roof. :roll:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 27th, 2010, 12:28 am
So the Go Karts are not going to SWF? great, finally thought that area would become more appealing to the eye. That picture is really hard for me to make anything out of. Just a bunch of lines. I see Chang and thats it.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby monsterfan99 on May 27th, 2010, 12:47 am
gottastrata33 wrote:Now, I'm not likin that diamgram either. The entrance plaza will be obv. completley different, & in my opinion, "unatrractive". Why keep the GoKarts? They look trashy(again in my opinion).
We shall see the turnout. I'm still excited though! ;)

The line that was 45 people long when everything else was walk on Tuesday answers that.

PS, please use a spell check.
monsterfan99

Postby Goku1910 on May 27th, 2010, 12:59 am
The picture is hard to see...

But based on what I know, The Go-Karts layout has been changed to meet the new Coasters layout. It was shown by the old layout being in dashes and the new one with solid lines. The new Coaster will compromise 90 parking spaces. Entrance Plaza is pretty much compromised....Unfortunately. That's the only thing that's making me "iffy" about this proposed layout.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby rct2wizard360 on May 27th, 2010, 1:42 am
That picture is better than nothing people. Don't even complain about the quality or else the description of the location at the meeting would be a lot harder to understand.

I'm surprised at the parks willingness to keep the Go-Karts in the same spot and compromise parking spaces and the entrance plaza, but I guess the SWF spot is a bit smaller for the current layout. On the flipside they could always make a new one, but those are loud and wouldn't be pleasing for families to listen to on GAR. I'm also guessing from the way the rides been placed the queue layout will be extremely similar, if not identical, to how it was at SFKK.

As disappointed as I am, I had a feeling they'd keep it stand-up. La Ronde has two inverts by two different manufactures, and we have two stand ups by the sa-- yeah I still hate the idea. Maybe this means Wolf will be leaving us and they can better develop that area?

Brian, at the past meetings did they have more info the second time around when they find out the verdict?
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby wishman35 on May 27th, 2010, 3:03 am
Thanks for the info guys. Also disappointed but what can you do. It will be nice to have a new ride to go on and trumps IW in terms of size and smoothness, but none the less it is still a stand up at the end of the day and the fact is that most of us probably prefer each and every ride type to a standup.

It certainly would be cool if they gave it a new theme and added sound and other elements to differentiate it, but I wouldn't expect that.

It will be interesting to see the public's reaction to the announcement. I can't imagine there will be overwhelming excitement to the announcement of what will be thought of as "Iron Wolf Part 2: Bigger and Badder."

I was just hoping for a ride that would have me craving re-rides, and I am bummed out that I know in advance that being a standup, I won't be dying to get back on. It may be smoother than IW, but it is similar to Mantis, and in the end it is a ride that is only worth a ride or two on a normal day.

We really need something original/fun/ and Raging Bull/V2-esque to get people excited. Money is obviously tight, and this is a budget efficient option to take on a new major ride, but it would've such a great surprise if they could have converted the ride into something new and refreshing.

Good night all!
wishman35

Postby Galvan on May 27th, 2010, 3:33 am
You know I pretty much on board with just about everything SFGAn does, whether its TDK, removing Deja Vu whatever, but this announcement, is very disappointing.

Why in the name of god would you basically take Chang from SFKK and dump it here? As is with new paint and a new name?

Forgive me for sounding like I'm complaining and true it is technically a "new" coaster but seriously SFStl or SFA should have gotten this ride if all they were going to do is plug Chang into SFGAm.

Here was a chance for SFGam to really be creative, or at least add something never seen at our park and they pretty much failed miserably.

Great America should be Six Flags' flagship park, or one of them at least, I think with all the business that the metro Chicago/Milwaukee area gives this park (even though there isn't really another option) We should have at least gotten something not already seen at our park.

But I guess I was giving SF too much credit, I mean afterall these are the same people that at La Ronde added an SLC to a park with a BTR clone.

I want people to understand something here, I'm not complaining about the addition of a new coaster, my beef is the serious lack of creativity on the part of SF at a park who has had a history at least trying to be creative.

Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic here, but really when you think to yourself, wow here's a chance for something different and new and you then find out its the same old same old, you get less excited about it.
Galvan

Postby monsterfan99 on May 27th, 2010, 4:51 am
^Your spot on with wondering why SF Great America got this ride over the 6 or 7 other SF parks that could have used a new type of coaster. And if the company claims space or distance from SFKK, apparently they forget they own SF STL which has a ton of room and is closer.
monsterfan99

Postby Freakdaddy on May 27th, 2010, 7:39 am
Well, I am excited about it! I know I am in the minority here, but I also live far away from the park (in SW Michigan), so I don't get there as much. Hopefully, they theme it good. I guess this means IW's days are number, but on the other hand the layout spars Whizzer for at least another year. Hopefully more :mrgreen:. I would love to see Whizzer get a new station, but I know it's days are numbered.
Freakdaddy

Postby SFGAm Viper on May 27th, 2010, 9:26 am
Im hoping this ride gets the Bizarro treatment. After SUF was installed I am not worried about it being a "parking lot" coaster and at least expect there to be some landscaping. However, also adding the sound and fire effects, misting neon rings, etc. will set this apart from the other rides, even Iron Wolf. Regular park goes will see this as a pretty cool new ride if they do things like that.
SFGAm Viper

Postby T.K. on May 27th, 2010, 11:34 am
Now that we all know its a B&M Stand Up and know the location and etc.

I heard there is a Batman movie comming out in summer 2011, where the Riddler is the new enemy. I can see Chang getting renamed to SFMM one-> Riddler's Revenge, being painted green and black. I think Chang trains will be remodified to audio like they did to Medusa. I think Six Flags Great America need a villan coaster, we have too many heroes :). Plus they could get very creative with theme to Riddler, since he likes to throw bombs at people ;-)

I think Iron Wolf will stay. Iron Wolf could get repainted and changed to floorless. They would just need to redo the station, and the ride could be good for another more years to come, the ride lay out is compact and being floorless means no headbanging I hope ;-). Rename it to Bizzaro and paint it purple and yellow.

So two new villans that would make perfect addition to SFGAm. Now that i know Chang is stand up, I know IW will be either removed or redone to floorless.
Six Flags Ameirca as the number 1 park at SFI.... this is JOKE!
T.K.

Postby Paradise on May 27th, 2010, 12:16 pm
Really not too depressed about getting a new COASTER in general! I mean come on guys, it's a coaster. That's what we're all here for! There was so much talk about it being floorless, that people just expected it to be floorless and were let down when it was announced we'd just get the ride in it's original form. Guys, Iron Wolf will be gone in the next three years, then we yet again, get something new. I'm excited for Chang! 8)
Have a take and don't suck, it's the Jim Rome Show!
Paradise

Postby wishman35 on May 27th, 2010, 12:17 pm
^^^

IW a floorless? That would be the day!
wishman35

Postby neil on May 27th, 2010, 12:18 pm
What do we think the chances of Iron Wolf getting converted to a floorless/sitdown are. Everyone assumed it would be Chang,as it was new, but since it is confirmed Chang will remain a standup, maybe Iron Wolf will change.
The Mr. Six at the park is REALLY creepy

I'm ready for a Ragin' Cajun good time
neil

Postby w00dland on May 27th, 2010, 12:30 pm
T.K. wrote:Now that we all know its a B&M Stand Up and know the location and etc.

I heard there is a Batman movie comming out in summer 2011, where the Riddler is the new enemy. I can see Chang getting renamed to SFMM one-> Riddler's Revenge, being painted green and black. I think Chang trains will be remodified to audio like they did to Medusa. I think Six Flags Great America need a villan coaster, we have too many heroes :). Plus they could get very creative with theme to Riddler, since he likes to throw bombs at people ;-)

So two new villans that would make perfect addition to SFGAm. Now that i know Chang is stand up, I know IW will be either removed or redone to floorless.

The Dark Knight sequel won't be out until Summer 2012. Also, I'm gonna go ahead and express the opinion that three batman coasters is a bit overkill. I know this sounds insane, but what if it wasn't *gasp* themed to a superhero or a recent movie? My problem with lots of new SF rides is the fact that they are taking random summer blockbusters and themeing longterm coasters with them. Sorry, but in ten years 60% of the public won't even know that there was a Terminator Salvation movie. I know, it's nuts, and probably won't happen, but it's just a thought.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum