Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

X-Flight new for 2012

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby ttd rox on February 8th, 2012, 11:15 am
^Yes, it's the turn after the Immelmann that they are finishing right now before heading onto the 2nd Zero-G roll. I'm terrible with determining width and distance but I agree that the trench does seem rather small for a water feature.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

Top 3 Wood Coasters: 1. The Beast 2. American Eagle (Red) 3. Hades
ttd rox

Postby x-flight on February 8th, 2012, 11:22 am
This ride won't have a water affect looking at the trench and design I can't see how it would have one
x-flight

Postby DejaVu2001 on February 8th, 2012, 11:28 am

The trench doesn't need to be very wide for the type of water effect used on B&M's Wing Coasters.
DejaVu2001

Postby ttd rox on February 8th, 2012, 11:31 am
The track design going over the trench would work perfectly for a water effect. Obviously the track would never touch the water but the point is that the dozens of "mini jets" will shoot up in order to look like the train is either hitting the water or skimming just above it.

EDIT: ^Thanks for posting that. It probably appears smaller since it's still a little ways away from the camera even when zoomed in. They probably wouldn't be building a trench like that unless there was a water feature. However, I can see them running the water feature the whole year the first year then only running it during the summer beginning next season.
Top 3 Steel Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)

ttd rox

Postby x-flight on February 8th, 2012, 11:39 am
Okay I see I retract my comment guess it could have a water affect is that why the old pumping station is still there?
x-flight

Postby woohoodude11 on February 8th, 2012, 1:22 pm
^That was my exact guess, but I highly doubt it needs to be that big.

I was posting from my phone yesterday and was trying to avoid typing too much, but what I wanted to say was how AWESOME this ride's colors look even in terrible lighting to the human eye in person. Hopefully the red fairs better than Superman's. Also, the shots Rob takes from Washington through that "tunnel" on American Eagle look really interesting in person. I'm a hair disappointed in the height of this thing though! I won't complain too much, looks like it'll be a rush and a half!

**Edit**
Looks like 4 out of 5 inversions are officially in place. I assume the one at the top of the lift counts as an inversion.
Missing Shockwave more and more every day.
woohoodude11

Postby Goku1910 on February 8th, 2012, 3:09 pm
ClubXJeff wrote:Sooooo... I'm sure there's a lot missing still - but what are your initial thoughts on the water feature?
Do you think there's still more to be dug up and/or cleared? Or is the dirt still there, so that the crane can maneuver more easily?...

Am I correct to assume it will be during that turn, after the immelman?
Currently, it looks like only a few feet wide of a space for water?... Just voicing aloud here...

What are your thoughts / opinions?

-JC-

I think it's all about perspective, from where we are looking, it looks smaller than it really is. It looks to be a decent size. It starts right where the track levels out after the immelmann and ends before the skeeball game.

I can bet it will look a lot larger in real life, or when more facebook pictures are posted.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby sfgam#1 on February 8th, 2012, 4:34 pm
If they keep working as fast as they are, I could see the track being completed in 2 weeks tops !
sfgam#1

Postby woohoodude11 on February 8th, 2012, 5:54 pm
sfgam#1 wrote:If they keep working as fast as they are, I could see the track being completed in 2 weeks tops !

It should probably be done end of next week tops.
woohoodude11

Postby chester016 on February 8th, 2012, 5:56 pm
looks like they started work on the station. I can see supports along the track in the bottom left corner of the camera.
chester016

Postby sfgam#1 on February 8th, 2012, 6:10 pm
I see that too, they did say they would start work on it Soon
sfgam#1

Postby Goku1910 on February 8th, 2012, 6:47 pm
Sporlo wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Can you post the link to that article again for me? I'm too lazy to go searching through all the facebook posts....

This one? http://newssun.suntimes.com/photos/gall ... plane.html

kudos to you. Although I made myself look like a fool. :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby ttd rox on February 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm
I was looking at the webcam right now which it's so dark you can only see the drop and the skies in the back but they were rotating the camera then moved it back to how it was before or at least from what I can see.

ttd rox

Postby x-flight on February 9th, 2012, 8:54 am
I'm just curious and not knocking the ride but do they put trim on the rides to reduce stress on the ride and slow down or is just a speed thing?
x-flight

Postby sfgam#1 on February 9th, 2012, 10:08 am
^Tims are just for cutting down the speed ! But I have no clue where they are, does anyone else know.
sfgam#1

Postby SFGAm Viper on February 9th, 2012, 10:29 am
Maybe there aren't any. Keith usually includes them in his animations (see Leviathan or Behemoth). Also, if there are ones it doesn't necessarily mean they will be used so don't get all whiny about it. The original Superman flyer at SFOG came with a trim going into the pretzel loop and it is not used. When they built the one here they didn't install it. You can see the spot its missing from.
SFGAm Viper

Postby mrsix on February 9th, 2012, 10:40 am
what are they doing now
mrsix

Postby CoasterZ on February 9th, 2012, 11:37 am
mrsix wrote:what are they doing now

coffee and a smoke break! looks like they are working on the 270 degree turn.... cant see!
CoasterZ

Postby mrsix on February 9th, 2012, 12:34 pm
can someone post a webcam pic
mrsix

Postby FloorHead on February 9th, 2012, 12:42 pm
mrsix wrote:can someone post a webcam pic

FloorHead

Postby CstrFan512 on February 9th, 2012, 1:36 pm
They should finish the 270degree turn fairly quickly. It's just a bunch of turn pieces. Close to the ground too.
CstrFan512

Postby Brogrammer on February 9th, 2012, 1:52 pm
x-flight wrote:I'm just curious and not knocking the ride but do they put trim on the rides to reduce stress on the ride and slow down or is just a speed thing?

Yeah, normally (referring to B&Ms) they're put there to reduce stress on the ride. For example, Raging Bull's trims on the camelback were put there apparently due to stress on the train.
Brogrammer

Postby Goku1910 on February 9th, 2012, 2:00 pm
Thanks to this you can sort of tell where the keyhole will be....or at least guess it's general area.
Goku1910

Postby ttd rox on February 9th, 2012, 3:22 pm
Is the control tower basically going in the area between the supposed "water element" and the 2nd Zero-G roll?

ttd rox

Postby Goku1910 on February 9th, 2012, 3:31 pm
^Imagine a triangle, it will be between the immelmann (or hangar), water element, and the second "zero-G"...or the corkscrew, everyone says something different.

Goku1910

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum