Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on May 16th, 2024, 3:11 pm
I don’t know how long ago it happened, or if anybody cares, but the updated maps for Hurricane Harbor Gurnee and Rockford on the app have debuted.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Goku1910 on May 17th, 2024, 5:33 pm
Wheelgap was at the park today and it appears there's some activity at Buccaneer Battle. The Trough has been ripped out and there's a survey marker across the midway at Demon.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on May 17th, 2024, 6:05 pm
SFGAm looks to be starting to prepare for daily operations. Sky Striker only needs its queue installed, American Eagle is testing (thank goodness!), and WCSBAG's (Windy City Sports Bar and Grill) construction is finally progressing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as nice as the concept art and the colors really don't match up with any of the other buildings in Southwest Territory, as to be expected. I would expect SS to begin testing in 1-2 weeks but to not actually open to the public/Passholders (whichever they do first) in 3-6 weeks.

Goku1910 wrote:Wheelgap was at the park today and it appears there's some activity at Buccaneer Battle. The Trough has been ripped out and there's a survey marker across the midway at Demon.

Thank goodness Buccaneer Battle is starting to slowly be removed. As much as I want it to be removed by the end of the season, it'll probably take the park until the middle of the 2025 season to remove the ride entirely. As for what the survey marker near Demon could be, I'm not sure. Maybe some additional rock-work or theming, but this is Six Flags we're talking about here, not Universal or Disney so I personally doubt it.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby Goku1910 on May 17th, 2024, 6:08 pm
Nope, I gather that marker is for whatever is planned for Battle. The Marker is in the grass area under the trees between the overflow queue and midway.

Most survey markers are for calculating distance and nothing more, doesn't mean any work will happen there.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 17th, 2024, 6:10 pm
There's also a wooden fence around the super loop area that I noticed.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on May 17th, 2024, 6:12 pm
That's been there since opening day. I've checked all three times I was there and no activity behind that wall.
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on May 17th, 2024, 6:14 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:SFGAm looks to be starting to prepare for daily operations. Sky Striker only needs its queue installed, American Eagle is testing (thank goodness!), and WCSBAG's (Windy City Sports Bar and Grill) construction is finally progressing. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as nice as the concept art and the colors really don't match up with any of the other buildings in Southwest Territory, as to be expected. I would expect SS to begin testing in 1-2 weeks but to not actually open to the public/Passholders (whichever they do first) in 3-6 weeks.

Goku1910 wrote:Wheelgap was at the park today and it appears there's some activity at Buccaneer Battle. The Trough has been ripped out and there's a survey marker across the midway at Demon.

Thank goodness Buccaneer Battle is starting to slowly be removed. As much as I want it to be removed by the end of the season, it'll probably take the park until the middle of the 2025 season to remove the ride entirely. As for what the survey marker near Demon could be, I'm not sure. Maybe some additional rock-work or theming, but this is Six Flags we're talking about here, not Universal or Disney so I personally doubt it.
It’s already rumored that the 2025 capital investment will likely be in Buckys spot. With 2025 being their 50th season, it could be a new coaster.

They’ve also are removing the Haunted House in the old Sky Trail spot.
coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 17th, 2024, 6:16 pm
PLEASE no single rail RMC coaster! We already have low capacity rides in Maxx, Joker and Goliath (slow operations)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on May 17th, 2024, 6:17 pm
Now that you mention it, I really wish they'd either find new places for Haunted Houses, or made an effort to remove them during the off-season like they used to. Such an eyesore during normal operations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new investment went there, but I have a really hard time seeing any coaster in that spot besides a single rail.

Also, the 50th would be 2026.
Goku1910

Postby coasterfanatic on May 17th, 2024, 6:19 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Now that you mention it, I really wish they'd either find new places for Haunted Houses, or made an effort to remove them during the off-season like they used to. Such an eyesore during normal operations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new investment went there, but I have a really hard time seeing any coaster in that spot besides a single rail.
Six Flags has done good with making things fit. Plus with the Haunted House gone by Sky Trail, maybe it’s something that crosses the midway (B&M Dive). Screamscape has also rumored that they could remove the go karts as well and use all Go Karts and Buckys spot for a new coaster.

I imagine it will be something bug in conjunction with the parks 50th season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on May 17th, 2024, 6:34 pm
Goku1910 wrote:Now that you mention it, I really wish they'd either find new places for Haunted Houses, or made an effort to remove them during the off-season like they used to. Such an eyesore during normal operations.

Also, the 50th would be 2026.
The 50th anniversary is in 2026. But the 50th season is next year in 2025. And given that the park celebrated the 40th season and not anniversary I’d expect them to do the same this time around.

coasterfanatic

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on May 17th, 2024, 11:12 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:PLEASE no single rail RMC coaster! We already have low capacity rides in Maxx, Joker and Goliath (slow operations)

While I definitely cannot argue Maxx, Joker, and Goliath's low capacity, what about a T-Rex? I know, it's crazy, but with the longer track, there would definitely be more room for more trains to traverse the track at once. I also thought that I heard somewhere that RMC has discussed putting two-row seating on T-Rex coasters, if one is made. That could help capacity a little bit. Not to mention that the marketing potential is there. Not only could they market it as "The Midwest's First Single-Rail Coaster" (if it doesn't quite reach 500 feet) or "The Western Hemisphere's Tallest Roller Coaster." Plus, if you take 50 (how many years SFGAm will have been operating by the supposed time this supposed ride opens) and multiply it by 10, you of course end up with 500, which could be a cool little detail. Not to mention the teaser that RMC posted in February teasing a T-Rex. Before I forget, a T-Rex could also give this park a stand-out coaster. (I know many of us here probably think SFGAm already has a stand-out coaster but the general coaster enthusiasts seem to disagree. *cough* Airtime Thrills. *cough*) Some names I came up with for this potential ride are "LogWave," "Log Chopper Shocker," "Timberman's Log Shock," "ShockWood," "Logger's Shock," "Sawmill Shock," or "The Logger from the Gulf's Sawmill." (Rereading these, I realize that most of these are actually pretty bad but I'm including them anyway. Also, if you couldn't notice, I included references to ShockWave and Gulf Coaster to pay homage to past coasters for the park's 50th Anniversary if this potential ride opens then.)
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby coasterfanatic on May 17th, 2024, 11:14 pm
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:PLEASE no single rail RMC coaster! We already have low capacity rides in Maxx, Joker and Goliath (slow operations)

While I definitely cannot argue Maxx, Joker, and Goliath's low capacity, what about a T-Rex? I know, it's crazy, but with the longer track, there would definitely be more room for more trains to traverse the track at once. I also thought that I heard somewhere that RMC has discussed putting two-row seating on T-Rex coasters, if one is made. That could help capacity a little bit. Not to mention that the marketing potential is there. Not only could they market it as "The Midwest's First Single-Rail Coaster" (if it doesn't quite reach 500 feet) or "The Western Hemisphere's Tallest Roller Coaster." Plus, if you take 50 (how many years SFGAm will have been operating by the supposed time this supposed ride opens) and multiply it by 10, you of course end up with 500, which could be a cool little detail. Not to mention the teaser that RMC posted in February teasing a T-Rex. Before I forget, a T-Rex could also give this park a stand-out coaster. (I know many of us here probably think SFGAm already has a stand-out coaster but the general coaster enthusiasts seem to disagree. *cough* Airtime Thrills. *cough*) Some names I came up with for this potential ride are "LogWave," "Log Chopper Shocker," "Timberman's Log Shock," "ShockWood," "Logger's Shock," "Sawmill Shock," or "The Logger from the Gulf's Sawmill." (Rereading these, I realize that most of these are actually pretty bad but I'm including them anyway. Also, if you couldn't notice, I included references to ShockWave and Gulf Coaster to pay homage to past coasters for the park's 50th Anniversary if this potential ride opens then.)
No idea if it’s for our park, but Six Flags did just recently file a trademark for the name Quantum Accelerator!

coasterfanatic

Postby Blue_Toad_Coasters on May 18th, 2024, 12:05 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:
Blue_Toad_Coasters wrote:

No idea if it’s for our park, but Six Flags did just recently file a trademark for the name Quantum Accelerator!

If that ends up being the name for our ride, then I could see the ride's entrance being in County Fair since that seems to be the dumping ground for all sorts of themes at Great America. Then again, they could just as easily place the ride's entrance in Yukon Territory and name the ride Quantum Accelerator since Six Flags doesn't care about theming too much these days.
Blue_Toad_Coasters

Postby gottastrata33 on May 19th, 2024, 12:38 am
Don't forget SFMM is teasing a major coaster with what seems to be a steampunk theme. That name fits. Although naturally, it sounds like a launch coaster so take that as you will.

I dream of the 400ft "Great American SkyScreamer". x
gottastrata33

Postby DejaVu2001 on May 21st, 2024, 12:01 pm
For unknown reasons, Hurricane Harbor's opening has apparently been delayed until June 1st

https://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharbo ... park-hours
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on May 21st, 2024, 12:18 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:For unknown reasons, Hurricane Harbor's opening has apparently been delayed until June 1st

https://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharbo ... park-hours
Probably budget cuts from Salim. Screamscape already reported that Over Texas was reducing ops hours due to budget cuts.

The water park is also not open daily til the 3rd week of June, which is insane.

coasterfanatic

Postby HCF on May 21st, 2024, 3:48 pm
The current RMC website lists 3 new raptors coming next year, 1 custom 2 clones. The custom and one of the clones will be international while the 2nd clone will be at an American park, time for speculation?
Some time, on way to successful, first of steps of all of the steps to being successful steps are hardest of all of the steps to successing.
HCF

Postby coasterfanatic on May 21st, 2024, 5:39 pm
HCF wrote:The current RMC website lists 3 new raptors coming next year, 1 custom 2 clones. The custom and one of the clones will be international while the 2nd clone will be at an American park, time for speculation?
Our park has been good recently with not getting clones: Goliath, XFlight and MaxxForce.

coasterfanatic

Postby JackGlass on May 21st, 2024, 7:17 pm
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got a raptor in Mardi Gras hangovers old spot along with a flat to replace revolution
JackGlass

Postby coasterfanatic on May 22nd, 2024, 2:01 am
JackGlass wrote:I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got a raptor in Mardi Gras hangovers old spot along with a flat to replace revolution
I don’t think anything is coming in Revolutions spot. It’s all been cemented over and a new shade structure is currently being built.

coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on May 22nd, 2024, 7:46 am
JackGlass wrote:I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got a raptor in Mardi Gras hangovers old spot along with a flat to replace revolution

Will a coaster fit in super loop spot?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Sven18 on May 22nd, 2024, 9:40 am

A Raptor won't fit in that spot. That spot is conducive to a flat ride at some point. If a coaster is coming next year, it's Buccaneer Battle's spot, which isn't large and I doubt they are taking out the go karts to a make a bigger space. Go Karts are a profitable up charge. The somewhat square Buccaneer plot is more conducive to the prototype Raptor. GAdv & MM go the bigger Raptor, which are more for a long thin plot. Demons plot, if they ever took it out, would be ideal for the larger Raptor or even the new Intamin Vertical Launch(1058 meter length model). Personally, I would be kind of betting against a Raptor. For some reason I have a feeling that they might do a Kids Flash Cosmic Coaster, even though they have been problematic. The plot fits and the park would be replacing a kids/family ride with another one. There is also the chance they might not even do a coaster in the spot.
Sven18

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on May 22nd, 2024, 12:48 pm
I personally do not anticipate a coaster coming next year. Six Flags corporate is spiraling hard right now, it does not feel like the time is right. So many cuts to hours/days, they just increased the surcharge, doing cheaper things like switching from Tilamook to Edys. Doesn't exactly bode well. I know any coaster that would be added next year *should* be WELL under development right now but as long as it's not large like SFMM's project, I can see them pulling the plug or delaying. In which case it would be in the hands of Zimmerman after the merge
Sucker for a launch, custom audio and Viper | Coaster Count: 511
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby JackGlass on May 22nd, 2024, 6:22 pm
My apologizes. I should have been more specific. This is what I meant by putting a raptor in the Hang over location. Using Triple Plays plot of land as well
Attachments
hangover.jpg
RAP1.jpg
JackGlass

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum