Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAM__man on November 7th, 2021, 10:28 pm
Six Flags is too cheap...literally. Season passes $66 and one day tickets $30 on the website right now, and they give out friends free tickets to season passholders. Getting into SIx Flags parks is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago. The strategy seems to be give away the gate then try to upsell the hell out people.
Also its pretty funny that they closed V2 to paint it during what is always the busiest part of the year and right before the offseason, when they could have just painted it in the spring. I wonder if they were trying to save operating money by having it closed or they had to spend that money this fiscal year before losing it.
SFGAM__man

Postby Sven18 on November 8th, 2021, 9:35 am
Passes are now $60, the fact they keep dropping the price from the original $80 when 2022 passes were first released means sales are soft or they are going all in on volume even more. Every park in the chain has been dropping prices.

It's kind of peculiar as SF are rolling out the tiered passes. The purpose of memberships was to get the higher price point & now they can potentially get the higher price point with tiered passes, as some people just don't like membership monthly billing/cancellation process. Why keep cutting prices when you're implementing a new product soon & some people are probably going to want to upgrade a single park pass to a gold plus pass at the minimum.

On the Capex, SF as of Q3 has only spent 62M of the 120-130M they claimed they would on Capex for the year. So, back loaded Capex at the end of year seems to have been planned.
Sven18

Postby Coaster Justin on November 8th, 2021, 11:22 am
Sven18 wrote:Passes are now $60, the fact they keep dropping the price from the original $80 when 2022 passes were first released means sales are soft or they are going all in on volume even more. Every park in the chain has been dropping prices.

It's kind of peculiar as SF are rolling out the tiered passes. The purpose of memberships was to get the higher price point & now they can potentially get the higher price point with tiered passes, as some people just don't like membership monthly billing/cancellation process. Why keep cutting prices when you're implementing a new product soon & some people are probably going to want to upgrade a single park pass to a gold plus pass at the minimum.

On the Capex, SF as of Q3 has only spent 62M of the 120-130M they claimed they would on Capex for the year. So, back loaded Capex at the end of year seems to have been planned.

Hope some of it can go to Solar Panels- And before you say anything, SFDK, SFMM, and SFGAdv have all added solar panels
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby anewman35 on December 5th, 2021, 9:35 am
I haven't been all year until now, so this probably isn't new... But, seriously, seatbelts on the Columbia? Come on.
anewman35

Postby DejaVu2001 on December 5th, 2021, 10:50 am
Fun Fact: Before this year, Columbia Carousel also had seatbelts from August 2003 until they were removed for the 2007 season.
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on December 5th, 2021, 7:27 pm
anewman35 wrote:I haven't been all year until now, so this probably isn't new... But, seriously, seatbelts on the Columbia? Come on.

I agree with you about seatbelts on the carousel! Totally unnecessary!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Coaster Justin on December 6th, 2021, 4:58 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
anewman35 wrote:I haven't been all year until now, so this probably isn't new... But, seriously, seatbelts on the Columbia? Come on.

Insurance Costs or Dumb People
You decide
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Tardis1972 on December 7th, 2021, 10:18 am
Coaster Justin wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

Insurance Costs or Dumb People
You decide

So both then.
Tardis1972

Postby coasterfanatic on January 14th, 2022, 11:48 am
I heard about this the other day from someone I know who use to work at the park, but don’t want ti say anything until the news was more public

Park President Hank Salemi passed away suddenly earlier this week. Not sure if the park will say anything about it but here’s an article from the Daily Herald

https://www.dailyherald.com/amp-article ... 220119615/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterfanatic

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 14th, 2022, 1:29 pm
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 17th, 2022, 10:36 pm
https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/tickets

Six Flags Magic Mountain has made some major changes to season passes. I'm guessing similar changes will soon happen company wide. Most significant is the complete removal of any unlimited dining option. So if anyone here isn't a Member, probably a good idea to get a membership with member dining ASAP and hope that SF will still let you get a few years out of it
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 17th, 2022, 10:40 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/tickets

Six Flags Magic Mountain has made some major changes to season passes. I'm guessing similar changes will soon happen company wide. Most significant is the complete removal of any unlimited dining option. So if anyone here isn't a Member, probably a good idea to get a membership with member dining ASAP and hope that SF will still let you get a few years out of it

DejaVu - Thanks for that info! I still haven't bought the dining pass for 2022. I might end up getting a low tier membership in 2023.

Is the Gold Pass going to include all parks in the future, does anyone know?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 17th, 2022, 10:50 pm
^ If Magic Mountain and the Texas parks are any indication, you won't be able to buy a new membership much longer
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on January 17th, 2022, 10:52 pm
Oh wow. That’s different from just last week. Last week, they still had all the membership levels just listed as season passes!!!

Don’t like the meal options!

coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 17th, 2022, 11:57 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ If Magic Mountain and the Texas parks are any indication, you won't be able to buy a new membership much longer

Are you saying they're going to end the Memberships and revert to Season Passes?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on January 18th, 2022, 12:00 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ If Magic Mountain and the Texas parks are any indication, you won't be able to buy a new membership much longer

Are you saying they're going to end the Memberships and revert to Season Passes?
Maybe.

Magic Mountain is no longer selling memberships. But our park is and most parks are.

Hoerner, new CEO is apparently allowing parks to make a lot of the decisions themselves so either this new pass structure is 1) a trial run, 2) only for MM.

Only time will tell. It’s possible that each park will have a different pass structure

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on January 18th, 2022, 12:11 am
Other parks are selling memberships but calling them season passes.

So could be a change just for MM since they are 365, could be a change they are testing and will roll out after tweaks.

coasterfanatic

Postby coasterfanatic on January 18th, 2022, 10:36 am
According to the FAQ on MM website, those with a membership would be grandfathered in and called legacy members as long as they don’t cancel. Once they cancel, then they would not be a member anymore and would have to sign up for one of the new pass options.

coasterfanatic

Postby Sven18 on January 19th, 2022, 9:42 am
coasterfanatic wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

Maybe.

Magic Mountain is no longer selling memberships. But our park is and most parks are.

Hoerner, new CEO is apparently allowing parks to make a lot of the decisions themselves so either this new pass structure is 1) a trial run, 2) only for MM.

Only time will tell. It’s possible that each park will have a different pass structure

This is the same way they rolled out the passes with levels like memberships, these 4 parks were first & it came to all parks in December. The silliness of all this is SF changing their offering again after just starting the pass level memberships in a single payment.

The changes to the 3 pass levels & the dining plan not being unlimited are going chain wide. It would be impossible not to if you just think about the logistics of it & not to mention just making business sense. The fact that they didn't switch all parks immediately is the continuation of the cluster F" SF has done with 2022 season products.

I can't wait for the disaster at parks when you have the legacy monthly memberships, the pass memberships & the new 3 tiers when people are trying to get their benefits & associates are unaware of all the difference & patrons think they are suppose to get xyz & don't. Guest services is going to be packed.
Last edited by Sven18 on January 19th, 2022, 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on January 19th, 2022, 9:45 am
coasterfanatic wrote:According to the FAQ on MM website, those with a membership would be grandfathered in and called legacy members as long as they don’t cancel. Once they cancel, then they would not be a member anymore and would have to sign up for one of the new pass options.

The grandfathering is for those with the monthly recurring, those that bought the "new pass memberships" they started offering literally a month ago are going to have to switch to the the new tiers for 2023.

SF is also likely going to try to find away to knock people off the legacy products(as of Q3 there were 2.2M members), the point of all this is to get more money from each patron, they don't want cheap legacy products hanging around forever. A good way to do that is they just increase the pricing on the legacy memberships to the point the new tiers are a better deal. I expect legacy membership dining to see major increases, as SF was getting killed on the margin with all the people that come to the park 20, 30, 40+ days a year & eat meals all year for $80 or $90 .

SFGAm pricing on memberships over the years has correlated essentially with SFOT & SFOG, so I expect SFGAM to have the 3 tiers be $80, $170, $300
Sven18

Postby coasterfanatic on January 20th, 2022, 1:39 am
None of this is set in stone.

Here’s an article where a spokesperson for Six Flags says it’s a test at the year round parks and based on the feedback, they will decide which direction to go in.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202201/8726/
coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on January 21st, 2022, 1:46 pm
So the dining pass isn't unlimited now? How many trips/meals does it provide?

It appears to be good for all of 2022 and doesn't specify any limits
Attachments
2022-01-21_12-47-50.jpg

CoasterRiderSC

Postby DejaVu2001 on January 21st, 2022, 2:00 pm
^ At parks that haven't switched to the new passes yet, the Dining Pass is still valid for all of 2022. It is likely that all parks will eventually switch, so if you don't have a Season Dining Pass or Member Dining yet, you should do that ASAP.

The new Season Pass system will only offer a 4 Meal Dining Plan or 10 Meal Dining Plan, so once our park switches, you'll be SOL
DejaVu2001

Postby coasterfanatic on January 21st, 2022, 2:29 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:^ At parks that haven't switched to the new passes yet, the Dining Pass is still valid for all of 2022. It is likely that all parks will eventually switch, so if you don't have a Season Dining Pass or Member Dining yet, you should do that ASAP.

The new Season Pass system will only offer a 4 Meal Dining Plan or 10 Meal Dining Plan, so once our park switches, you'll be SOL
As previously stated, the current pass and dining options are a TEST. We don’t know for sure that the new plans will be 4 and 10. That’s what’s being offered and tested at the year round parks. But based on feedback, that could change.

coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on January 24th, 2022, 4:02 pm
I just realized No Coaster Con happened already. Was the park there (given recent events, would understand if they weren't)? And if so, did they announce anything interesting?
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum