Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

5-3-14 SFGAm Opening Day

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on May 4th, 2014, 11:03 pm
Ok, so after missing the last two years to go to SFGAm, I finally was able to get back to the park yesterday. This was my first time going on opening day. But even with a season pass and missing the last two years, it was worth it. Eating it while waiting in line.

So I took Metra and Pace to get up to SFGAm yesterday. I got to the park at 11am. I wanted to get there earlier, but I missed the first train out of Ogilvie Transportation Center (the 6:35am train) because the first train I took to downtown Chicago was late as usual. I took Pace bus 565 from the Waukegan Metra stop.

Anyway, like I said, I got to the park at 11am. The lines for the metal detectors were CRAZY!!! There were so MANY people waiting to get in! It took like a good hour to get to the metal detectors and to get my season pass ID card and finger scanned. When I finally got in Carousel Plaza, I tossed a few coins into the reflection pond and made my way to X-Flight. The wait for XF felt like 20 or 30 minutes. I had never been on XF before I rode it yesterday. This coaster surprised me! IT WAS REALLY AWESOME!!! I sat in the front row on the right wing. XF is now tied with RB for being my favorite coaster at SFGAm.

After XF, it was about 1pm. I decided to head to Raging Bull next. Now, the one thing I did notice after riding XF was that it quelled my hunger a bit. I was hungry while waiting in line for XF. Afterwards, I headed into SWT and got a bucket cup of chicken strips and fries and then got in line for RB. The line for RB was 75 minutes. I had lunch while waiting in line for RB. A little later like an hour or so later, I got in the front row on red train and took my 54th ride on the Bull. It was a blast, just the way I remembered it! After RB, it was about 2:20pm. I looked around in El Mercado for a few minutes and then got in line for Viper.

The line for Viper wasn't bad, 45 minutes at around 2:45pm. I got to the front row by 3:45pm. Viper is still my favorite woodie at SFGAm. Next I headed to American Eagle, on the way there I stopped at X-Gear and bought a X-Flight t-shirt. I sent it to package pick-up, then left the store and headed the rest of the way to Eagle. I also got a SF Bugs Bunny landyard for free when I showed my season pass. When I got to Eagle it was around 4:10pm. The line was about 60 minutes. Only the red side was running. The blue train was sitting in the station, but wasn't running. I took a front row ride on the red train. After I got off Eagle, it was about 5:30pm.
I walked closer to Goliath to see it for myself, it was quite impressive. The lift and zero G stall were partially complete, but it still looked AWESOME!!! After spending a few minutes in front of Goliath. I skipped V2 and its 75 minute line and next headed to Batman. When I got to BTR, the line was 90 minutes!!! It was about 5:45pm. I didn't want to do a 90 minute wait for BTR, so I headed to SUF hoping the line was shorter. Nope! SUF was 90 minutes as well. So I skipped SUF and BTR, hoping to get one of them or both on my next visit.

It was now going on 6pm. I looked around Heroes for a bit. I was on the hunt for a XF keychain. I found a small one, but I wanted a larger and thicker one. Like the RB, AE and Viper keychains. I next headed into Flags then Carousel Plaza Gifts. I spent a little time in both looking around for XF stuff. After that I headed to get my season pass activated. There was a lady and another guy who told me in the beginning of the day at 12pm that I had to activate a regular season pass? So, I get in a line that is not to bad in front of the pass activation center in HTS at around 6:15. I waited for 15 minutes before another lady tells me that my season pass is ALREADY activated!!! That made me kind of mad, but I didn't want to waste anymore time in HTS. Since around 6pm, I wanted to get another coaster in. I wanted to try and get both XF and RB in under two hours. I also had a craving for ice cream. I got myself a chocolate shake with whip creme and cherry then got in line for XF again.

It was about 6:30ish by the time I got to XF. I waited in line for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The line sign said 60 minutes, but I waited a little longer for front row on the left wing. I already rode on the right wing early in the day. To me it feels like the left wing on XF is better than the right wing? Oh, while waiting in line for XF, the ride decides to break down. It was down for like 10 or 15 minutes, so my wait time was more like 90 or close to it! By the time I got off XF, it was 7:50pm. I toyed with the idea of going to RB and getting in line for it, not knowing if I get a ride on it or not. But then decided to go back to Carousel Plaza Gifts and buy a few more souviners and also head to package pick-up to get my XF t-shirt.

After that I left the park at around 8:20pm. All in all, it was a pretty good start to my 2014 season of adventures at SFGAm. I had a GREAT time, despite the fact that it was opening day, a Saturday, with heavy crowds and they were selling $20.14 tickets. However, that does not bother me, knowing that I only got five coasters in. I got a season pass and I WILL return very soon in two or three weeks.

I was taking pictures on my phone all day. I will have them posted later. I was wondering if anyone here saw me yesterday at SFGAm? I had on a grey hoodie (because of the wind), a red t-shirt, blue jeans and black headphones around my neck.

Total Ride Count:
X-Flight: 2
Raging Bull: 1
Viper: 1
American Eagle - Red: 1

TOTAL: 5 Rides.

Souviners bought:
X-Flight (Glow in the Dark 'X') navy t-shirt
Bugs Bunny - Six Flags landyard - FREE with season pass
Green Lantern - green see through cup with lid and straw with GL logo and "Six Flags" written on it.
Viper keychain with stats on back.
Goliath Landyard

I also picked up some more park maps, like 3 or 4.
Well until my next visit and TR, this is the end of this TR.

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Here are some photos I took with my phone.
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby DeathbyDinn on May 5th, 2014, 8:31 pm
Where were they selling the Goliath lanyards? I looked in a few stores for it and couldn't find them.
DeathbyDinn

Postby TwistedSTEEL666 on May 5th, 2014, 9:48 pm
DeathbyDinn wrote:Where were they selling the Goliath lanyards? I looked in a few stores for it and couldn't find them.

Carousel Plaza Gifts is where I got my Goliath landyard.
SECOND 2014 VISIT: May 24th, 2014.
2014 Season Pass Holder

"Would You Like A Jelly Baby?" - The 4th Doctor (Doctor Who).

Antonio Aguilera
https://www.facebook.com/BEAMER3K
http://beamer3k.deviantart.com/
View my artwork.
TwistedSTEEL666

Postby Stoogie on May 9th, 2014, 11:07 pm
Great Pictures. Has anyone seen any good coaster gear like when they had the Coaster Team merchandise? I still want the Coaster Team jacket.
Candy: What you lookin' at?
Otis B. Driftwood: I'm lookin' at you, mama.
Candy: Yeah, you see something you like?
Otis B. Driftwood: Maybe. I set my standards pretty low, so I'm never disappointed.
Stoogie

Return to Trip Reports