Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Advocate Event 2014 [Massive PTR]

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Goku1910 on April 26th, 2014, 9:05 pm
Let's start off by saying...Welcome to the 2014 season!

So, this trip report will be formatted picture-by-picture with captions. I'm not going to tell a long boring story then get to the good stuff.

The day started with X-flight in the front, weather was fair but a bit chilly.....it got really bad later in the day. Below freezing actually. We did the usually circle around the park approach avoiding V2, Superman, and Dark Knight on the way. Some stuff I did not picture, but Demon's harnesses are a bright orange so some of them may be new. Eagle Blue is not yet state certified and I was not able to ride eagle red due to downtimes. I also did not post all the pictures into the TPR, view the album here: http://s113.photobucket.com/user/goku19 ... Day%202014

Here's your ride status:
Bull: 2
Whizzer: 2 (No sign of third)
Demon: 2 (Yellow/Black)
X-Flight: 1
Batman: 2
Superman: 2
Eagle: 2 red, 1 blue.
Viper: 2
Little Dipper: Closed this morning...not sure if it ran during the day.
V2: Running, but lots of downtimes.

After stopping for breakfast we headed in and noticed changes right away, the street has new blacktop and painted lines are now yellow. Guessing this is for visibility more than road rules.

Good news from the start...Superman has TWO trains ready for opening day!

this random cart is behind the metal detectors, it's old location was between Eagle and Kidz. Wonder what it will be used for.

Not sure if this affects the public schedule, but they were letting us into the park before the usual 10:30....but rides started at 10:30 like normal.

Still Empty.....

Fun Machine is open too? Crazy....

The thing a lot of us hoped for....IgNite is coming down!

Stage is coming apart. Landscaping being done for opening day.

Image.

Whizzer hates cold...still. Running two trains too!

Flash Pass got overhauled....colorful

No surprise here, every year they don't show the prices for Flash Pass.

Okay, this is getting seriously weird....Orbit not only has cars on it this year, but it's open!

X-Flight was my first coaster of 2014! Here's a shot of Goliath from there.

Loving the Blue Polo's....Hopefully they don'y fade as bad as the highlighter.

Revolution is getting it's usual rehab.

This wasn't like that last year was it?

MPorium no more. It's now another Arcade.....the other arcades seem unaffected.

Sticky fingers got completely repaved for some reason.

GOLIATH.

They continued working on the lift throughout the morning. Work slowed down when we were in the park. They were also painting the station.

Station work. The extension has had it's roof started.

Gift shop and the hideous retaining wall. I'm guessing the pad will be another one of the coke places like the ones by X-flight and Superman.

gift shop looks pretty good. A little small though.

Exit looks the same as always.

We all thought the turn around was complete. Not quite, there are some orange topper tracks missing still.

Ear Cancer stage and new fence. Now you can listen while eating....Somehow, they managed to make this stage seem even worse.

Loggers may be affected by Goliath at least for a little while.....I can guess this barrier will be pushed back if Loggers even opens before Goliath does. In other news, Clipper was running today until the weather went downhill. They were mostly doing employee training and cycling.

Cajun looks better this way. :lol:

Knowing Six Flags, they will find some way to reuse this station.

A nice, clean reflection pond.

....Still needs paint.

Pictorium now offers all three parts!

Throughout the day I found trees with orange ribbons, some trees have already been trimmed to the point where most of the branches are gone. I think it's purely coincidence and these ribbons have nothing to do with tree removals. These are related to the advocate event.

Behind the bathrooms the damage from the fire can be seen.

New Flash pass entrance signs.

More pictures of the new Flash Pass Center...you now enter through the front and exit to the side where the old entrance was.

Enters here...Door on the left is an express lane for people who bought online ahead of time.

Here's where things get really interesting. This will most likely spark a 2015 discussion thread....

I took the following pictures near the Demon. Specifically under the brake that crosses over the midway....

Train parked in the tunnel due to Goliath.

When we were leaving the Buccaneer Battle was filled with most of the boats. There is one or two boats still sitting backstage.

My only hope is that Hometown Square can be restored.
Last edited by Goku1910 on April 26th, 2014, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby GoBears on April 26th, 2014, 9:17 pm
Great photos! Thanks for sharing!
Founder of http://www.sfgamnation.com
Favorite Steel: 1. Maverick 2. The Incredible Hulk 3. Millennium Force
Favorite Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Beast 3. American Eagle
GoBears

Postby CoasterDave316 on April 27th, 2014, 12:32 am
Great update on everything! Thanks for posting!
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby scottydoesknow on April 27th, 2014, 12:40 am
I bet Goliath is looking just awesome from inside the park. Can't wait for opening day!
Scott Schaffer

SFGAm World's official YouTube producer
@upstopmedia

Goliath rides: 60
scottydoesknow

Postby untalented893 on April 27th, 2014, 12:50 am
Awesome photos. Great to see the park is just about ready for opening day! Any word on Bull and seat belts getting together to cause some trouble?
untalented893

Postby boilermaker4life on April 27th, 2014, 12:51 am
Thanks for Sharing!
boilermaker4life

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2014, 12:53 am
I will be in the park opening day as well. I will use that time to look more into Demons markings. The cold today had us rushed to get the last few rides in. It got as low as 33 degrees outside. Hopefully I'll get to ride Eagle that time as well.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on April 27th, 2014, 12:55 am
"These pink identifiers look like temporary survey markings. Perhaps they are looking to repair the broken pavement" - Intaman from TPR posted that response after somebody posted the pictures of the Demon markings.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2014, 1:15 am
Are you saying a minion from TPR took my pictures without asking? Time to have some fun.

Edit: I was credited for them so I'm okay with it. But PLEASE, PLEASE ask when reposting them somewhere else. Especially TPR.
Goku1910

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 27th, 2014, 6:26 am
I hope Six Flags eventually replaces that nasty cracked up asphalt throughout the park with pavers like this. I saw Candy Apple Grover at Kings Dominion, and wow do those pavers make a huge difference in the parks image.
Attachments
pavers.jpg
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby GoBears on April 27th, 2014, 8:07 am
Goku1910 wrote:Are you saying a minion from TPR took my pictures without asking? Time to have some fun.

Edit: I was credited for them so I'm okay with it. But PLEASE, PLEASE ask when reposting them somewhere else. Especially TPR.

That was my fault. I apologize for that. I just posted a link to your PB album if that was alright. Where were those trees at with the ribbons on them?
GoBears

Postby nick42085 on April 27th, 2014, 9:08 am
Nice photos! Makes me even more psyched for opening day
Subscribe to my youtube at

Youtube.com/user/nick42085

"I'm Nick and I haven't rode a coaster since June 10th 2014"
nick42085

Postby GoBears on April 27th, 2014, 12:10 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:I hope Six Flags eventually replaces that nasty cracked up asphalt throughout the park with pavers like this. I saw Candy Apple Grover at Kings Dominion, and wow do those pavers make a huge difference in the parks image.

I've always imagined Hometown Square and/or Carousel Plaza receiving brick. It looks really nice at some other parks I've visited.
GoBears

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2014, 12:18 pm
GoBears wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:Are you saying a minion from TPR took my pictures without asking? Time to have some fun.

That was my fault. I apologize for that. I just posted a link to your PB album if that was alright. Where were those trees at with the ribbons on them?

They were pretty much all over. Saw them at Triple Play, bathrooms across from X-Flight, and by Condor. The only tree out of all of them that was cut apart was the one between the bathrooms and the Market across from X-Flight.
Goku1910

Postby UWW-10 on April 27th, 2014, 1:38 pm
On a ride status note....I'm still convinced that namtaB took way more focus and energy away from getting other things ready to go last year so it's good to see that for the most part everything is ready to at least handle a better opening weekend crowd than last season. They'll plug away at what they can in this next week in hopes of getting whatever else they need to get done.

I'm also hopeful that they figured out a better solution to entering the park at opening time....last year it was a nightmare at the beginning because they weren't letting anyone in the gates until 10:30....but it seemed to me that as they went through the season...it got better.
UWW-10

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2014, 2:13 pm
I am not sure if the procedure will be the same as it was yesterday. Opening Day will be our answer.
Goku1910

Postby kossdude1 on April 27th, 2014, 7:41 pm
I'm not sure if this was asked yet, but are the Perry turnstiles still at the front of the park? Or have the new ticket scanners eliminated them from needing to be used?
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

Postby Goku1910 on April 27th, 2014, 9:30 pm
kossdude1 wrote:I'm not sure if this was asked yet, but are the Perry turnstiles still at the front of the park? Or have the new ticket scanners eliminated them from needing to be used?

They are still there. Remember, not everyone is getting a bio-metric equipped Season Pass.
Goku1910

Postby kossdude1 on April 27th, 2014, 10:11 pm
^ I know. I was just wondering because in some cases, ticket scanners take a more accurate count of guests entering the park than turnstiles (even without season passes).
Consecutive Trips Riding X Flight: 92
SFGAm Lifetime Trips: 104

kossdude1

Postby Muck Finnesota on April 29th, 2014, 10:35 am
Hopefully those pavement markings by Demon have nothing to do with Demon.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Goku1910 on April 30th, 2014, 11:12 pm
Muck Finnesota wrote:Hopefully those pavement markings by Demon have nothing to do with Demon.

Why you say that? It's the most obvious coaster to kick the bucket. It's ridership is down the toilet and it's being held together with constant welding. It's just about that time.
Goku1910

Postby Jacklw6499 on May 1st, 2014, 5:01 pm
Everything looks awesome! Those Demon markings will definitely spark some theories...... :lol:
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby Chitown on May 1st, 2014, 10:53 pm
Goku1910 wrote:

Gift shop and the hideous retaining wall. I'm guessing the pad will be another one of the coke places like the ones by X-flight and Superman.

Isn't this pad supposed to be the Goliath snack shop?
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby Goku1910 on May 2nd, 2014, 12:47 am
That's my guess. I know it looks small, but take X-Flight's coke themes snack stand for example.....

You can also see the lower side of the retaining wall and the pad meet at the corner. This is where the Goliath Sign will be...Parallel to that wall just a little further back. Which also makes for the worlds tiniest Queue line for a new ride.
Goku1910

Postby GoBears on May 2nd, 2014, 10:43 am
Goku1910 wrote:That's my guess. I know it looks small, but take X-Flight's coke themes snack stand for example.....

You can also see the lower side of the retaining wall and the pad meet at the corner. This is where the Goliath Sign will be...Parallel to that wall just a little further back. Which also makes for the worlds tiniest Queue line for a new ride.

Have they started on the additional queue block they were going to add to the ride?
GoBears

Next

Return to Trip Reports