Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Australia!

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby w00dland on January 24th, 2014, 2:51 pm
Having some offseason woes? Wanting something a little "different" from the TR section of the forum? Well, last summer (well, technically winter for me) Natalie and I went to the Gold Coast in Australia for some theme parking. They call it the "theme park capitol of Australia" which is nice, since they hold the three biggest theme parks in the country (although there is really only one or two other "big" ones on the whole continent, Australians aren't really blessed in the rides department).

Anyways - I've been busy lately, and the internet didn't really exist where I used to live, so I've finally got the photos up and I figured I'd share a few of them with you. We visited Sea World, Dreamworld and Warner Brothers Movie World, because apparently every theme park has to end with "world" in Australia. Let's start with Dreamworld and work our way forwards from there.

Day one - Dreamworld

Dreamworld's entrance reminds me of something...what could it be?

Scored some early ride time on this among other rides. It was an extra five bucks to get into the park an hour early - we knocked out most of the big rides before the park even opened, which was wonderful because it started down pouring around noon.

Tower of Terror entrance. Think of this ride as the exact same thing as Superman: Escape from Krypton, except with one track and only half the power. Only made it about 40% up the tower. The drop rides were plenty of fun though - tall drop towers rock.

Good morning!

They had a motorbike coaster - which was relatively fun!

Dreamworld reminds me a lot of BGT, not because its rides are awesome (they weren't), but because the park is half zoo and half theme park. They have a stunning tiger collection along with an Australia wild animal park. We actually had the chance to feed one of the tigers, which was a very cool and very humbling experience. Tigers are a lot bigger when they are inches away from destroying you.

"Look at all the tasty humans"

There was actually tiger attack at Dreamworld about a month ago. One of the senior trainers was attacked, which proves that while these animals can seem tame, they are still pretty vicious.

Seriously, if there wasn't a fence there all of us would have ended up in his belly.

Each time one of us would turn our backs to the tiger he would jump up onto the fence, a natural instinct to attack when our backs are turned. Tigers have no honor.

Welcome to Australia! Where the crocs put American Alligators to shame.

Its a cassowary - the worlds most dangerous bird!

Tasmanian Devil and its keeper.

Natalie trying to blend in.

They also had a Dreamworks themed kids area which seemed really well done - even a Madagascar themed Vekoma kiddie invert.

After we escaped from Africa we celebrated with King Julian and others.

You know, its a big croc, but I wouldn't be surprised if one this big existed somewhere in the world. Australia is a place where it seems like half the animals can kill you.

Drop tower theming ... what does this remind me of?

And thats Dreamworld! There were a couple of coaster we didn't get shots of, and a pretty bad all you can eat buffet we took part in during the rain storm for lunch. For the most part we enjoyed the animals, the rides left something to be desired, but in Australian standards they were pretty good. This part is fairly large, much bigger than Seaworld and Warner Bros Movie World, but we'll get there later.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby Coaster Justin on January 24th, 2014, 5:45 pm
I'm so jealous of you now. I love the Madagascar Movies.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Director_Guy on February 6th, 2014, 2:41 am
Great pics. I didn't know they made Vekoma kiddie invert coasters, but I like the idea. The cass-o-wary-thing? That's not a bird. That's a freakin' dinosaur. There are animals from the freakin' Cretaceous walking around in Australia.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby tribar on February 6th, 2014, 10:18 am
Director_Guy wrote:Great pics. I didn't know they made Vekoma kiddie invert coasters, but I like the idea. The cass-o-wary-thing? That's not a bird. That's a freakin' dinosaur. There are animals from the freakin' Cretaceous walking around in Australia.

A lot of Cedar Fair parks have those
tribar

Postby Director_Guy on February 7th, 2014, 5:09 am
^Good to know. Sadly, my local CF park does not.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking, isn't thinking of.
Director_Guy

Postby WillHolt on January 28th, 2015, 7:48 am
Great trip reports so far!

Couple questions for you...

1. How nervous were you traveling alone to a different country?

2. Is English spoken nearly eveywhere over there or did you have trouble communicating?

3. How long did this trip take you to plan?

Craig--- Great to see other TR's besides SFGAm ones.
imran
WillHolt

Postby Coaster Justin on February 12th, 2015, 10:42 am
Nodi wrote:Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia and the fifth-largest city in Australia. It has various places for enjoyment. I want to share with you some interesting places and best hotel for staying in this city.
Attraction of Adelaide:
• Kangaroo Island
• Gorge Wildlife Park
• Adelaide Central Market
• Botanic Garden

Why are you posting all these ''Do this if you visit (City)?" You've done it for New York, Miami, Germany, Orlando, Hawaii, and Australia. You have even said that you've never visited Hawaii.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 20th, 2015, 8:07 am
Ok, so now we're copying sentences from Other topics? We really need mods.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby RollingCoasting on February 20th, 2015, 11:28 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Ok, so now we're copying sentences from Other topics? We really need mods.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

THANK YOU! Someone else noticed! They did it to your trip report too(In it's actual thread, and this one), and mine. (But different spammers)
RollingCoasting

Postby w00dland on March 12th, 2015, 2:00 pm
WillHolt wrote:Great trip reports so far!

Couple questions for you...

1. How nervous were you traveling alone to a different country?

2. Is English spoken nearly eveywhere over there or did you have trouble communicating?

3. How long did this trip take you to plan?

Craig--- Great to see other TR's besides SFGAm ones.

Well, it's Australia. Everyone speaks English and very few people would even know how to speak another language because they don't really need to. I travel internationally fairly often so not really nervous to travel into Australia. Really any Western country will have pretty similar customs and traditions that you can follow. Trip was easy to plan because I lived in Australia at the time. Quick flight to Brisbane, drive down to the Gold Coast and all the theme parks were right together. Hell, I even used Priceline "name your price" to score a 5 star hotel for $100/night since it was the off season.

Maybe I should work on the 2nd part of this TR since its been a year. Then I can save part 3 for 2016.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Return to Trip Reports