Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

TR: Kings Dominion 4/13/12

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby Galvan on April 16th, 2012, 3:08 pm
This past weekend, I visited Kings Dominion in VA and Carowinds in NC/SC.

And while, I didn't have the time to take pictures. I will share with you my experiences at the parks and answer any questions you may have regarding these parks.

Kings Dominion: Doswell VA.

This is a mirror image of Kings Island and in my opinion, is on par with the Ohio park.

The crowds on the day I visited KD where extremely light, with station waits or less on a great majority of the rides (that where running more then one train that is.)

The first coaster I hit was:

Volcano: The Blast Coaster. Themed as an active Volcano, this Intamin Suspended Launch coaster is a really cool ride. I rode it front row and found that the launch was pretty good as well.

The problem with this ride, is the capacity on this ride sucks. and given that 4 seats on each train where roped off. Even on a uncrowded day like the day I went, The line was 2 hours and had overflow queues in use every time I walked past this ride.

PRO: Themed after active Volcano, decent launch.
CON: Terrible Capacity, Long waits,
Overall: B-

Anaconda:

Arrow Looper that at first glance looks like its going to be a very rough ride, but honestly, its not too terrible. I was pleasantly surprised at this ride. Rode this ride front row.

PRO: Underwater Tunnel, decently smooth for an Arrow Looper
CON: Desperately needs a paint job. Like most Cedar Fair Parks, this ride has a seatbelt on the OTSRs.
Overall: C

Flight of Fear:

Clone of the ride at Kings Island, this ride is a Premier Spaghetti Bowl launch coaster themed to an Alien Invasion. Rode this ride front row and I believe this ride is better then its counter-part at Kings Island for the simple fact that KI's ride comes to a near stop in the mid-course brake run, this one doesn't as much.

PRO: Not trimmed as hard though the mid-course as KI's is
CON: Cloned ride, one of 3 Launched coasters at the park
Overall: C+

Intimidator I-305:

This was the most anticipated ride of the trip and it did not disappoint me at all and was easily the most intense steel coaster I have ever ridden. With that said, this ride was a walk on all day, even at the most crowded times for the park, and one ride a kid got a bloody nose following the ride. I rode this ride either front or back rows and it was absolutely amazing each ride. I personally preferred the back of the train. But any row would be great.

PRO: Extremely Intense Ride, Incredible Speed, Comfortable Seats and OTSRs.
CON: Extremely Intense which can be really bad for some people.
Overall: A-

Avalanche

This is a bobsled coaster that features 7 cars themed to a Olympic bobsled run. Nice little ride.

PRO: Excellent children's ride, smooth
CON: Hot station, Slow dispatch time can result in longer lines, Ride opens at Noon

Dominator

Huge B&M Floorless coaster that was Originally Batman: Knight Flight at Geauga Lake. Amazing Coaster back in Ohio, likewise in Virginia. The ride is simply awesome, a towering loop following a 150 foot first drop provides incredible hangtime. The return run is incredible as well.

PRO: One of the best B&M Floorless coasters you'll find, Great pacing and many inversions
CON: Slow dispatch times
Overall: A

Grizzly/Hurler:

I grouped these coasters together for a reason, they are terrible. Grizzly reminded me a lot like Pysclone at SFMM although not nearly as rough,but it was close.

Hurler is just as bad both rides are garbage. Sadly Hurler was retracked in some sections, but it doesnt make a difference. Couple that both rides where only running 1 train.

PRO: None both rides where terrible
CON: 1 Train ops, extremely rough.
Overall: Both rides D-

Shockwave

Its only fitting that the park that features 2 of the worst wooden coasters I may have ridden will also have the worst steel coaster that I have ridden as well. Shockwave at Kings Dominion is garbage. The restraint systems on these Togo Stand-ups are ridiculous the ride itself was god awful.

PRO: None
CON: Side laterals with those terrible restraints are the equivalent of the head banging you'd get on Iron Wolf
Overall: F

Ricochet

Your run of the mill mouse coaster. Nothing special

Rebel Yell

Following the disaster that was the other two wooden coasters, I had little hope for this racing coaster. I was surprised at how well the ride was especially after major sections of the ride where re-tracked. Unfortunately, only one side of the ride was open when I was at the park. And for whatever reason the ride was run with one train causing a longer then needed line.

PRO: Lots of nice air on this one, re-tracked sections where well done.
CON: One side running with one train
Overall: C+

Kings Dominion also features a Ghoster Coaster kiddie ride which is the same as the one at Kings Island as well as a Stunt Job Coaster. SJC was closed most of the day and when It finally did open the line was definitely not worth waiting for, especially since I have ridden it at Kings Island.

Kings Dominion is a great park despite the failures of 2 of the 4 Wooden Coasters in the park, and a tremendously horrible Stand-Up. KD has a winner with Dominator as well as I-305 of course. The park was well kept and clean and the employees where very welcoming as well.

Kings Dominion
PRO: Great Park with some decent steel coasters, Decent Atmosphere, Good amount of shade.
CON: Lack of flat rides, Terrible Wooden Coasters (Hurler and Grizzly) Shockwave should be removed for perhaps a B&M invert or a flat ride package. 3 Launch coasters seems a bit much too.
Overall: B- Solid Park with definite room for improvements.
Galvan

Return to Trip Reports