Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

PTR Six Flags Over Texas 3/14 and 3/15/12 (Part 4 of 5)

Let us know how your day at the park was.
Postby DejaVu2001 on March 26th, 2012, 8:53 pm
We arrived at Six Flags over Texas around 9:00am. We spent a day and half at the park and rode each operating coaster once, Titan twice, Shock Wave 3 times and Texas Giant 4 times. I also went on the Texas Chute Out parachute tower. The crews were average except for Batman, which was horrible and will be detailed later.

New Texas Giant: 2 train op, 90 minute wait. This ride was absolutely amazing. There was ejector airtime all over the ride no matter where you sit, and when I say ejector air, I mean it. I'm surprised I don't have bruises on my thighs. Texas Giant is now my #1 overall coaster, replacing El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure. 10/10

Shock Wave: 2 train op, walk on. Rode 3 times, once in the front row and twice in the back car. In the front, it was an average Schwarzkopf looper. In the back, it had numerous pops of airtime and one spot of ejector air. Shock Wave is now my #10 steel coaster. 10/10

Runaway Mine Train: 2 train op, 30 minute wait. Arrow Mine Train 8/10

Mini Mine Train: 1 train op, 5 minute wait. One of very only 2 Arrow Mini Mine Trains currently in operation. 6/10

Judge Roy Scream: 2 train op, 20 minute wait. Basically a mirror of Blue Streak at CP, but it still uses skid brakes. 7/10

Titan: 2 train op, 80 minute wait. Titan was smooth, but completely lacking in any airtime. Also, the helices seemed less intense than they were cracked up to be. That may be because of how hard the MCBR was trimming (2 separate complete stops).

Runaway Mountain: 3 train op, I think. Not sure how many trains the ride has total. 120 minute wait. Indoor family coaster with no theming during the ride. 6/10

Pandemonium: 8 car op, 15 minute wait, single rider line. Gerstlauer spinning coaster. 7/10

Flashback: 1 train op, 40 minute wait. Vekoma Boomerang, and an exceptionally bad one too. 1/10

Batman: The Ride: 1 train op, 3 hour wait. I believe the ride was running 2 trains when I got in line, and then removed a train when I was just outside the Storm Drain Access Tunnel. This was about an hour in. 1 train op is bad, but I figured, I'm already at the storm drain tunnel, I'll wait. This was worse than just 1 train op, this was one train op with the worst crew I have ever experienced. They were incredibly slow, the line would stop moving for 10 minutes at a time. They were not making any effort at all to fill the rows on the train. After 3 hours, I got out of line just before the stairs, and decided to ride Batman first the next morning. As for the ride, well, its Batman. 8/10

La Vibora was closed both days for maintenance, and obviously Mr. Freeze was closed.

Entrance:

Batman station. Horrible.

Batman

La Vibora

Closed
One of only 2 sleds that cycled the entire time we were there
This would have been really awkward if the ride were open

Texas Chute Out

Mr. Freeze

Last edited by DejaVu2001 on March 27th, 2012, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 27th, 2012, 6:59 am
Runaway Mine Train

Skid Brakes
Guests at Mine Train self-grouping the station

Mini Mine Train

Crazy Legs
The reason Triple Play did not operate in 2006

Flashback
Ad-wrapped

Pandemonium

Titan

Red train still in rehab

Runaway Mountain

Shock Wave

This ride needs paint badly
DejaVu2001

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 27th, 2012, 7:25 am
New Texas Giant

Black train still in rehab

Judge Roy Scream

Oil Derrick

Coca Cola Freestyle

Shakes & Fries

Slurpee

Not First Aid

Park history signs

How NOT to operate the Scrambler

Night Shots
Flashback
Shock Wave

Angus G Wynne Jr. Freeway

Additional photos
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 451&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 451&type=3
DejaVu2001

Postby BLADE on March 27th, 2012, 8:26 am
Wow! Texas Giant is better than El Toro? It looks like it still has a wood feel,when I watch it on you tube. Is that the case? Or does it feel totally like a steelie now?
Surprising wait times for March.
What part did they take from Triple play?
Thanks for sharing.
BLADE

Postby DejaVu2001 on March 27th, 2012, 8:35 am
1. Texas Giant feels like a steel coaster
2. It was Spring Break, and it was warm. If it hadn't been cloudy, it would have been HOT
3. The center piece that the main arms attach to.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 6th, 2012, 12:45 am
This is an awesome trip report. I can't wait to see the other ones you did. I'm glad I didn't go around now because Mr. Freeze is closed, and you say La Vibora was closed. I think the weather probably was the reason La Vibora wasn't open. You get too much water in that ride, and it's not good for it.

For Runaway Mountain and how that ride is, the layout feels much like The Mummy ride, but you start at the lifthill, and this lifthill isn't LIM. It's more like the Vekoma tires on Spacely's Sprocket Rockets pushing you up the lifthill. There is also no stop in the middle of the ride like the Mummy has. The end of the ride is the end of the ride. The Mummy and this ride are also both Premier coasters. Also, as he said, there is no theming. It's just dark. The line though you are going into what seems like caves. It's also reminds me of the coaster at Old Town in Florida called Windstorm that is made by Zamperla, but that ride felt like it's beat up, or something.

That Triple Play came from Astroworld, but as he said they used a part from our Triple Play in order to open that up. When SFOT opened their Triple Play, it was new to them so they really needed that part in order for it to be open, and sacrificed SFGAms. They advertised maybe 8 new rides in that year?? I don't remember exactly how many. One was a ride that was like Power Dive, one was a Triple Play (Huss Troika), one was a Breakdance themed to cows, one was a Zamperla boot ride, maybe that Scrambler was new??, one was a ride that does the same thing as Dumbo but it's themed to Batman (across from the Boomerang coaster), and maybe there was a balloon ride in the kiddie section?

You didn't go on Power Dive (from Astroworld), or the Boot ride?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Return to Trip Reports