Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Thunderbird at Holiday World

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on July 24th, 2014, 8:43 pm
So what do you guys think about Holiday World's 2015 roller coaster, Thunderbird? It's a launched B&M wing rider that goes 0-60 MPH in 3.5 seconds and cost $22 million. It only has 5 cars/rows of 4 seats so 20 people per train. Here's the rides website http://www.holidayworld.com/thunderbird/
Last edited by Iron Wolf 90-11 on July 26th, 2014, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on July 24th, 2014, 9:03 pm
Logo
Overview with Terrain
Layout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyXvz-swfMs
A cool video that the park made for Thunderbird.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 24th, 2014, 9:31 pm
Looks amazing! Looks like I'll be taking a trip there next summer for Media Day! Can't wait!
B&MGuy35

Postby coasterlove on July 24th, 2014, 9:43 pm
The ride looks very good and nice to see a launch on it. I'm not sure what they mean by a launch using a "flywheel", anyone know? It looks like LIMs/LSMs to me. The other thing I'm not sure about is why they use such a short train of only 5 rows. The elements don't seem to be very tight so it wouldn't seem that it couldn't have used a longer train like they do with other B&M wingcoasters. Not that the capacity is bad since it's listed at 1,140pph if I remember correctly. This coaster could have really moved people through the queue line if that had been the case.
coasterlove

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 24th, 2014, 9:48 pm
It is a flywheel launch.

So happy B&M can finally make launch coasters!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 24th, 2014, 10:05 pm
Video:
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=NkNMZAl2mqk

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Jacklw6499 on July 25th, 2014, 10:41 am
I asked Holiday World and thankfully there will be Two trains. The videos were a bit misleading to make many think there would only be one. Considering it's a quick ride, I expect capacity to be pretty good! Holiday World is lucky, getting the very first Launched B&M coaster in the world! (Yes Incredible Hulk is excluded here, considering the launch itself wasn't built by B&M).
Favorite Coasters I've Ridden:
Steel: 1. Maverick 2. Steel Vengeance 3. X2 4. Storm Chaser 5. Twisted Colossus
Wood: 1. The Voyage 2. Renegade 3. Mystic Timbers 4. The Legend 5. The Beast
Great America: 1. Maxx Force 2. Goliath 3. Raging Bull 4. Batman: The Ride 5. X-Flight

Coaster Count: 118
Go Hawks!
Jacklw6499

Postby UWW-10 on July 25th, 2014, 10:44 am
coasterlove wrote:The elements don't seem to be very tight so it wouldn't seem that it couldn't have used a longer train like they do with other B&M wingcoasters.

Wingcoaster trains are heavy ride vehicles and my guess is that they are probably the heaviest of all their ride vehicles with the kind of weight they have to support. So I can imagine that 0-60 in 3.5 seconds isn't going to work with a 8 car train.

I get this is probably what HW wanted and they'll do whatever, but it does question why B&M would want to enter the launching market with their heaviest train design?
UWW-10

Postby tp41190 on July 25th, 2014, 11:17 am
While this looks like a good ride, and probably the best looking installment of a wing coaster in the US, I still don't understand why Holiday World went with B&M.

As far as it's length, it seems pretty good.
This Chinese wing rider is probably shorter then Swarm.

Flug der Dämonen has a shorter train too. And from the reviews, the shorter trains produce a much more intense sensation.
[read]
tp41190

Postby RaceBoarder on July 25th, 2014, 11:38 am
I'm not sure what to think of the design here... When I think of a wing-coaster, I want something fairly tight and twisty... Speed is nice, but it's not a priority with this style of coaster for me... Thunderbird seems to be a fairly open design... I do like how they are going to incorporate the natural terrain in the design however...
RaceBoarder

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 25th, 2014, 12:17 pm
This will have a 5 car train, with 4 riders per car, making for 20 riders per train. And another train makes 40 riders per whole cycle.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby sfgam-fan on July 25th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Flywheel launch is an interesting choice. I'm guessing B&M went with it for the reasons they make many of their design decisions: maintenance and reliability. The design has been around since the late 70's.

In the promo video, I don't see a typical flywheel launch (flywheel, clutch, cable, catch car), so either B&M is doing something new or HW didn't include those graphics in the video.

It could be that the catch car sits in between the track rails, under the train. A bit like a cable life hill but with a clutch and at high speeds. Otherwise, I'm not sure why we don't see a catch car in the video.
sfgam-fan

Postby FParker185 on July 26th, 2014, 5:07 pm
Personally I think they could have done so much more with the land available and the same budget, but it's not my park, and I'll gladly take the credit. But they went with B&M so they can have a reasonably high capacity coaster that is reliable, unlike Intamin and Pilgrims that came literally within a couple boats of potentially killing 10 people

Also, the flywheel isn't to physically launch the train, The launch itself will be LSM, the flywheel is linked to a generator through a clutch which when it's engaged supplies a good amount of the power needed for the launch, so mainly it just helps reduce the peak power demand from the ride on the utilities and saves a little energy in the process. Most Gerstlauer Launched Coasters have one, it looks something like....

Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby tribar on July 26th, 2014, 6:40 pm
What exactly happened with Pilgrim's Plunge?
tribar

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 26th, 2014, 8:05 pm
tribar wrote:What exactly happened with Pilgrim's Plunge?

From what I understand, bad reliability, lots of downtime, and low ridership.

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on July 26th, 2014, 9:51 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:

I think he means how the one user posted about it came within a few boats of killing riders.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby tribar on July 26th, 2014, 10:45 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:

I think he means how the one user posted about it came within a few boats of killing riders.

Yes that's what I meant
tribar

Postby FParker185 on July 27th, 2014, 2:03 am
They were cycling boats though at the end of the night after closing to get everyone off and one of the first empty boats was, from what I understand basically impaled by a piece of the track that had broken/come loose right at the bottom of the drop. Was the night before Holiwood Nights last year, you could see them using cutting torches to get rid of what was left on the friday of that event.
FParker185

Postby Coaster Justin on July 27th, 2014, 6:04 pm
Shoot the Rapids at Cedar Point probably really scared them too.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby skibum101184 on July 29th, 2014, 8:08 am
coasterlove wrote:The ride looks very good and nice to see a launch on it. I'm not sure what they mean by a launch using a "flywheel", anyone know? It looks like LIMs/LSMs to me. The other thing I'm not sure about is why they use such a short train of only 5 rows. The elements don't seem to be very tight so it wouldn't seem that it couldn't have used a longer train like they do with other B&M wingcoasters. Not that the capacity is bad since it's listed at 1,140pph if I remember correctly. This coaster could have really moved people through the queue line if that had been the case.

Here is video I found on YouTube of a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop that uses a flywheel (actual flywheel footage). Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvXKPbQx88
skibum101184

Postby sfgam-fan on July 30th, 2014, 12:43 am
^ that's friggin awesome. thanks for sharing the video!
sfgam-fan

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on December 2nd, 2014, 5:54 pm
It's nice to see B&M with their own launching mechanism. As for Thunderbird itself, it looks like a pretty good ride! I like the overbanks and inversion selection. My only complaint is the keyhole element, it's more like half a keyhole. Maybe if that building (barn) is a two or three story barn it can be a true keyhole. Maybe it is and the animation just showed it only half.

But in other words, apparently the ride layout is complete. That's ridiculously fast!!
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on December 3rd, 2014, 5:21 pm
Track is now complete!

Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby FParker185 on December 3rd, 2014, 9:35 pm
Yep, parks that lack Six Flags in the name traditionally like to have new rides open on opening day of the season. A novel concept, I know!
FParker185

Return to General Coaster Talk