Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Colossus at Magic Mountain

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby skibum101184 on June 2nd, 2014, 3:52 pm
It was announced that the last day to ride Colossus at SFMM is August 16. Think the coaster is going by the wayside or will be getting the RMC treatment?
skibum101184

Postby Sharon29060 on June 2nd, 2014, 7:31 pm
If it does get the Iron Horse treatment, It's going to be interesting seeing how it turns out.
Sharon29060

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on June 3rd, 2014, 12:29 am
Sharon29060 wrote:If it does get the Iron Horse treatment, It's going to be interesting seeing how it turns out.

I agree. At one time there as a rumor that both sides would be connected to each other, and it would just be one massive coaster. I really think that RMC will do some great things with this ride.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby Coaster Justin on June 3rd, 2014, 9:10 am
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:
Sharon29060 wrote:If it does get the Iron Horse treatment, It's going to be interesting seeing how it turns out.

I agree. At one time there as a rumor that both sides would be connected to each other, and it would just be one massive coaster. I really think that RMC will do some great things with this ride.

Screamscape also pointed that they may connect the 2 sides of Eagle as Well in the future.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Viper 88 on June 5th, 2014, 8:03 am
How and where could Eagle be connected to itself?
Viper 88

Postby Sporlo on June 5th, 2014, 11:30 am
Viper 88 wrote:How and where could Eagle be connected to itself?

Yeah I don't get the point of that, unless you're going for a möbius system.
Sporlo

Postby ThemeParkFan07 on June 6th, 2014, 12:01 pm
^They would never do it, it would be an unnecessary expense and it would force them to operate both sides all the time. No point.
ThemeParkFan07

Postby [jonrev] on June 9th, 2014, 8:21 pm
I rode Colossus (with Psyclone's old trains running backwards) last week... I hope RMC or whoever gets the honor burns that POS to the ground. One of the worst coasters I've been on since T2.
[jonrev]

Postby tp41190 on June 10th, 2014, 1:24 pm
I am honestly wondering if they are going to remove it to make more room for Hurricane Harbour.
[read]
tp41190

Postby skibum101184 on June 11th, 2014, 9:30 am
Honestly I would be quite saddened to see Colossus completely removed for a water park expansion. It would be sweet if they left the layout alone on one side, just re-tracking it RMC style, but give an RMC overhaul/redesign to the other side.
skibum101184

Postby sfgam-fan on June 23rd, 2014, 6:06 pm
Colossus isn't a very good roller coaster, but MM is in an arms race with Cedar Point to have the most number of roller coasters so I doubt they'd just take it down. If anything they'll RMC one side of it and count it as two separate coasters. "Iron Colossus" and "Classic Colossus," something like that.
sfgam-fan

Postby BBH on August 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm
sfgam-fan wrote:Colossus isn't a very good roller coaster, but MM is in an arms race with Cedar Point to have the most number of roller coasters so I doubt they'd just take it down. If anything they'll RMC one side of it and count it as two separate coasters. "Iron Colossus" and "Classic Colossus," something like that.

There's no arms race any more. Ouimet's management couldn't give a flying **** about the record. That was all Kinzel.

Do you honestly think that a park concerned with that record would take out two coasters (Disaster Transport and WildCat) and replace them with just one? (Not directly in the case of WildCat but the point stands.)
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby sfgam-fan on August 5th, 2014, 10:39 pm
BBH wrote:
sfgam-fan wrote:Colossus isn't a very good roller coaster, but MM is in an arms race with Cedar Point to have the most number of roller coasters so I doubt they'd just take it down. If anything they'll RMC one side of it and count it as two separate coasters. "Iron Colossus" and "Classic Colossus," something like that.

There's no arms race any more. Ouimet's management couldn't give a flying **** about the record. That was all Kinzel.

Do you honestly think that a park concerned with that record would take out two coasters (Disaster Transport and WildCat) and replace them with just one? (Not directly in the case of WildCat but the point stands.)

I'm talking more about why it seems unlikely that MM would just take down the ride. "Colossus at Magic Mountain" is the title of the thread after all :)

CP is landlocked (water-locked, really), and MM isn't. To upgrade the park, CP has to think about what it can squeeze in and what it can replace. Taking out Disaster Transport and WildCat to put in Gatekeeper is a no-brainer.

MM doesn't necessarily face those same choices. Sure they'll get rid of old/unpopular rides (Flashback, Psyclone). If Colossus has become unpopular, maybe they should just take it down. But the park has open land on two sides.

And I agree that the most # of roller coasters record is dumb. MM has 19 "roller coasters," but 3 of them are the following:
1) Speedy Gonzalez - Height, 13 ft. Speed, 10mph
2) Magic Flyer - Height, 10ft, Speed, 10 mph
3) Canyon Blaster - Height, 8ft, Speed, 10 mph

If you take out the kiddie coasters they are close on the number of real coasters, and of course, CP wins on quality.
sfgam-fan

Postby BBH on August 5th, 2014, 10:47 pm
I was purely addressing your "arms race" comment. There is none, and Cedar Point wouldn't have made the move to introduce Gatekeeper if they truly cared about it.

The fact of the matter is that they have the Golden Ticket for Best Park (the awards are a total joke but again, the point stands) and that's more than enough for them to market.

Of course, I'm excited to see what'll happen with this. A user on NoLimits Exchange rode it for 36 hours consecutively (45 minute riding sessions then 15 minute breaks) starting Monday morning. Damn impressive.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby Chitown on August 7th, 2014, 11:40 pm
sfgam-fan wrote:
If you take out the kiddie coasters they are close on the number of real coasters, and of course, CP wins on quality.

So kid coasters are fake? And CP having better quality coasters is a matter of opinion.
I finally retired the Sarah Palin signature because she is now 100% irrelevant.
Chitown

Postby sfgam-fan on August 8th, 2014, 12:59 am
Chitown wrote:
sfgam-fan wrote:

So kid coasters are fake? And CP having better quality coasters is a matter of opinion.

I am referring to these three roller coasters at MM. These three MM rides are simply a train of cars that slowly roll/coast along a track.

Technically, that fits the definition, but most people imagine roller coasters to be exciting and intense. So feel free to argue that these rides are thrilling to kids and adults alike :)

And start a poll. Which park has better quality roller coasters? I doubt I'm in the minority by saying that CP has better offerings than MM.
sfgam-fan

Postby skibum101184 on August 13th, 2014, 10:05 am
sfgam-fan wrote:
Chitown wrote:
sfgam-fan wrote:

I am referring to these three roller coasters at MM. These three MM rides are simply a train of cars that slowly roll/coast along a track.

Technically, that fits the definition, but most people imagine roller coasters to be exciting and intense. So feel free to argue that these rides are thrilling to kids and adults alike :)

And start a poll. Which park has better quality roller coasters? I doubt I'm in the minority by saying that CP has better offerings than MM.

There are certain coasters overall that make SFMM and CP stand out from each other in my opinion. If I could combine several coasters from each park into one park, I'd be in heaven.

SFMM:
X2
Scream!
Tatsu
Riddlers Revenge
Full Throttle
Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom
Viper (I know, it's rough but I love classic Arrow Mega Loopers and miss Shockwave)

CP:
Maverick
Millennium
Magnum
Raptor
Gatekeeper
skibum101184

Postby RollingCoasting on August 17th, 2014, 11:40 pm
Well, Colossus is no more
RollingCoasting

Postby BLADE on September 2nd, 2014, 10:23 am
sfgam-fan wrote:
Chitown wrote:
sfgam-fan wrote:

I would take Magic Mountain's coaster lineup over Cedar Point's. They have less junk.
This poll already exists and MM is winning!!!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11254
BLADE

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on February 16th, 2015, 12:23 pm
Magic Mountain is nowhere NEAR NYC...

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterCale on June 10th, 2015, 12:40 am
RollingCoasting wrote:Well, Colossus is no more

It has been reborn, a wooden coaster with the heart of Steel! :wink:
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Return to General Coaster Talk