Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What's your favorite coaster designer(s)?

Talk about anything that has to do with the amusement park industry here.
Postby TonyMichaud on March 9th, 2004, 9:11 am
Mine would have to be hands down B&M. A couple reasons why... First, their rides are dependable... They always seem to be working, even when the other rides are not. Secondly, there is at least 2-3 in most parks that are completely different... Thirdly, they tend to focus in on what some other companies have failed to understand. It doesn't matter how tall or fast you go, it's what's inbetween that counts the most. Even though Top Thrill is one of the best rides out there, I would never put Intamin in front of B&M. B&M coasters look like works of art, twisted track in every direction... the factor I love most about them, unperdictability... (i hope i spelled that right!!!) Who would have thought the pretzel loop in Superman is so intense, thats what catches you off guard! Millennium & Top Thrill and V2 and Wicked Twister all look very beautiful and impressive, but you know you are going to be shot like a bullet through the entire ride, and while I am not saying that's a bad thing, I'm saying your mind is constantly saying "holy cow this is fast!" whereas on a B&M coaster you'd be like, "those interlocking corkscrews were awesome!" B&M don't have to be tall and fast to get their point across... it's not how fast or how tall you go, it's what happens inbetween the drop and the brake run that matters. And I totally agree with that!!! :wink:

Hopefully that makes sense... :roll:

Ltr.

~tony michaud
Terror Twister Tony
TonyMichaud

Postby Papas on March 9th, 2004, 1:09 pm
My favorite manufacturer/design is B&M. Yeah Intamin makes some cool rides but they cant make EVEN one, prototype or not, that they can get to work properly. Heck, even there new water rides had a lot of defects. I'm not gonna list it all out unless you make a personal request i'd be glad to but I like B&M cause they work, and are awesome rides. The only problem I seem to have with their products are the big inverts, I take the big loopers fine but the big inverts are annoying to me just cause I ride B:TR so much a invert with actual force distrobution is weak :wink:.

As far as my favorite individual designer Stengel would be the obvious choice as he designes most of the great rides of these days, I also love Shwarzkopf cause uniqueness and weird intenseness (Scorpion and Whizzer are both great rides in my opinion), and dont overlook John Wardley. The way Nemesis is designed into that area with those requirements and he makes such a great ride is simply amazing.
Papas

Postby Timmy179 on March 9th, 2004, 4:09 pm
I'd have to say intaman And B&M. Intamin because they take risks, and they usually turn out good, and B&M because of reliability & of course the smooth ride.
Last edited by Timmy179 on March 10th, 2004, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Around the world and back
Timmy179
Member Spotlight Guy

Postby SFGA 11 on March 9th, 2004, 4:16 pm
B&M all the way. They make smooth, reliable, and fun rides. Second would have to be Six Flags Inc. :wink:
SFGA 11

Postby Aero737 on March 9th, 2004, 4:51 pm
I don't know about the rest of you all, but I want to get roughed up riding a rollercoaster. Too smooth is too artificial in my opinion. If I want a smooth ride, I hop a ride down a freshly paved road in my friends Lexus. Getting banged up leaves a bit of an out of control feeling that you never get while driving.

A little roughness emulates what rollercoasters (well, modern steel ones) try to recreate. Acrobatic flight.
Aero737
The Mod Squad

Postby DejaVuGurl1203 on March 9th, 2004, 5:31 pm
B&M. Their rides are very reliable and smooth. They're awesome, too.
DejaVuGurl1203

Postby Great America Guy on March 9th, 2004, 8:09 pm
B&M I have never ridden a coaster smoother than theirs. Even rides that looks uncomfortable(Superman) are very smooth
Great America Guy

Postby sfga_24/7 on March 9th, 2004, 9:35 pm
Now questions asked B&M, RB,S:UF,IW,B:TR, all great rides, not to diss any of the other coasters at SFGAM i love them all.
Out of Colorado in the Piston home red blue and white tonight the 6'3 Chauncey BA....BA....BA.....Bilups!
sfga_24/7

Postby SfGaMownz on March 14th, 2004, 8:45 pm
My favorite manufacturers are B&M, Intamin, and Arrow in that order.

B&M is the obvious first as it is for more people. There coasters are all at least somewhat smooth most being very smooth. The only bad part are those vibrations in some of their rides, but thats a minor negative. B&M makes about half of my top 10 steel coasters, so that says something in my opinion.

Intamin likes to puch the limit on their rides. They have some great ride types that are some of the best coasters out there today like the rocket with TTD and Xcelerator, and Hypers with S:ROS. Most of their recent rides have been having some mechanical problems or some sort, so thats a down point to them but when their rides are running they are close to B&M caliber.

Arrow had some great coasters in its day that I still like alot. Demon of course one of my top 5 at SfGaM. Shockwave which used to be my favorite coaster ay SfGaM. Not to mention X which is my current favorite coaster. Arrows are unique, but that uniqueness can go against the company to as some of their rides are rough. Though I still don't get how people think that Demon is rough yet I can ride it with my hands sitting in my lap.
SfGaMownz

Postby Great America Guy on March 14th, 2004, 9:07 pm
Yeah B&M coasters are very relliable. They are calculated so persicly that they almost never stall.
Great America Guy

Postby Timmy179 on March 14th, 2004, 10:41 pm
Definatly togo. I look for , horrible layouts, Nervewrecking restraint systems, and bone-ratteling roughness.
Around the world and back
Timmy179
Member Spotlight Guy

Postby goldmember on March 14th, 2004, 11:02 pm
I would have to say my favorites are Intamin and B&M. Intamins are my two favorite rides and they are always smooth and pushing the limits. B&M because I have yet to be on a bad one and they are always reliable.
My Top 5: 1)TTD, 2)Millennium Force, 3)Raptor, 4)Deja Vu, 5)Raging Bull
goldmember

Postby w00dland on March 16th, 2004, 1:44 pm
It really depends what you are looking for in a coaster, because different manufacturers have different ideas on how a coaster should be. For example in my opinion Arrow coasters are more for looping and going upside down, but sacrifice roughness for going upside down. B&M will give you the smoothest ride of your life and are quite reliable. Your normal intimin coaster is fast and tall with a good layout. Personally, i like going upside down so i like arrow coasters alot, shockwave was a favorite of mine. Raging Bull is amazing just because its so smooth and thats a huge reason why people like B&M the most. Sorry im babbling, I'll stop now.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby juice_LP_cavs on March 16th, 2004, 4:46 pm
Well I personally like B&M. I don't think i have ever been on a B&M that i didnt like.... Yet then again the only parks i have been to that have B&M coasters are SFSL, CP, N SFGAM :roll:
juice_LP_cavs

Postby coasterzak on March 16th, 2004, 8:30 pm
I'm going to have to go with Intamin. They have some of the tallest and fastest coasters and I am one huge airtime whore!
coasterzak

Postby SFGAM_and_the_BEARS! on April 3rd, 2004, 8:45 pm
I like B&M. Mainly because they are the ones who make of one of my favorite roller coasters. RAGING BULL! It is very smooth and exciting and so are all of their other rides such as Superman and Batman. I am not very familiar with many others so I will have to choose B&M as my favorite.
I wish I lived in Chicago so I could go to Six Flags more often!
SFGAM_and_the_BEARS!

Postby Coaster_Chick on April 5th, 2004, 9:57 pm
Definitely B&M...all the B&M's at SFGAm are my favs there...they're mostly smooth and reliable...and very inventive.
~Theresa~
*Undercover Line Jumper Ejector*
Trips in '05: 2 Next up: May 8
The Posse
Coaster_Chick

Postby RollingCoasting on June 26th, 2014, 2:03 pm
Vekoma and Togo. Very wonderful, smooth coasters with amazing, record-breaking layouts. (most sarcastic voice ever)
RollingCoasting

Postby Foltzy on June 26th, 2014, 2:04 pm
Intamin
Airtime is where it's at. So they have the best
Foltzy

Postby sfgam-fan on June 26th, 2014, 2:53 pm
B&M's are vanilla. Intamin FTW
sfgam-fan

Postby BBH on June 27th, 2014, 6:26 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:Vekoma and Togo. Very wonderful, smooth coasters with amazing, record-breaking layouts. (most sarcastic voice ever)

Dude. 10 year bump. Really?

Anyway, I go with RMC.
"Remove this man before I commit an act of violence against him."
-Ron Swanson
BBH

Postby JimPanky on June 27th, 2014, 9:03 pm
B&M for sure. Goliath was great, I cant say based on one coaster but Im guessing I would probably be saying rmc if I had ridden more rmc's.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby w00dland on June 27th, 2014, 11:05 pm
Holy topic bump Batman!

w00dland wrote:It really depends what you are looking for in a coaster, because different manufacturers have different ideas on how a coaster should be. For example in my opinion Arrow coasters are more for looping and going upside down, but sacrifice roughness for going upside down. B&M will give you the smoothest ride of your life and are quite reliable. Your normal intimin coaster is fast and tall with a good layout. Personally, i like going upside down so i like arrow coasters alot, shockwave was a favorite of mine. Raging Bull is amazing just because its so smooth and thats a huge reason why people like B&M the most. Sorry im babbling, I'll stop now.

15 year old Nick was an idiot. Don't listen to him. I still think Arrow is the best, but for completely different reasons - 4Ds and their badass hypers.
Top 5 wood-5-Goliath 4-Ravine Flyer II 3-Phoenix 2-Voyage 1-El Toro
Top 5 Steel- 5-Velocicoaster 4- Maverick 3- Fury 325 2-Steel Vengeance 1-X2
Coaster Count: 444
w00dland

Postby stockboy300 on June 28th, 2014, 10:02 am
Intamin always making the tallest and fastest coasters on the earth!!! Intamin is the only company that takes me to the stratosphere!!
stockboy300

Return to General Coaster Talk