Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Six Flags Announces Smoking Restrictions

Announcements & News From The Homepage
Postby RagingBullFan on January 19th, 2006, 11:09 am
Six Flags announced today a new company policy under which its theme parks across the country will become smoke-free environments. This measure is the newest element in the company's commitment to improving the family entertainment experience throughout the Six Flags system.

"Our mission at Six Flags this season is to enhance our entire guest experience -- and that includes doing all we can to ensure our parks are family-friendly," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. "Making our parks smoke-free will be an enhancement to the quality of the Six Flags experience, and our guests will think so too -- nobody should be forced to dodge clouds of smoke when they're strolling through the park with their children. Designating specific smoking zones will allow for a cleaner, friendlier park atmosphere where families can enjoy spending their day."

This initiative expands on current park policy, which states that guests cannot smoke in children's areas, ride lines or waterparks. Designated smoking zones will be set-aside within each park to accommodate the parks' smoking patrons.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby [jonrev] on January 19th, 2006, 11:45 am
What a way to piss off smokers. At least we dont have to have dumbasses blowing smoke in your face anymore when you go to GAm.
[jonrev]

Postby RagingBullFan on January 19th, 2006, 12:01 pm
It's not designed to piss off smokers. It is designed to make the park more attractive to families. This is a great step in the right direction for Six Flags in terms of families.
Licensed Mechanical Engineer
RagingBullFan
Technical Administrator

Postby [jonrev] on January 19th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Yea it's a good rule, Im just saying that smokers will be pissed.
[jonrev]

Postby CoasterDave316 on January 19th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Ive been waiting for them to do something like this. They did it at Holiday World and it works really well.

This is a really nice move towards making the parks a more friendly enviroment for family's.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby greatamerica2003 on January 19th, 2006, 3:12 pm
I wouldn't worry about pissing off smokers. Nowadays they are in the minority. In 1976 they weren't.

Good move Great America. The St. Louis park was smoke-free when I was there last year so this is just a expansion to system-wide.
YOU ARE A FAILURE AT LIFE!
greatamerica2003
amtrak
amtrak

Postby LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm on January 19th, 2006, 3:32 pm
There will be no smoking in lines right? There was last year and does anybody know where they will be smoking zones?
No matter how hard it is...Never EVER give up. The real failure is those who dont try.
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm

Postby CoasterDude12-2 on January 19th, 2006, 3:47 pm
Well Good. I guess. Now I won't remember SFGAm when I smell cigarettes :lol:
CoasterDude12-2

Postby twixmix0303 on January 19th, 2006, 7:18 pm
LaTiNoObSeSeDSFGAm wrote:There will be no smoking in lines right? There was last year and does anybody know where they will be smoking zones?

No. And smoking wasn't allowed in queues last year. If you see smoking, start coughing to an extreme, hunch over and pretend you're about to puke. Then have your friend (or your mom works even better ;)) pat your back hard a few times and say "I'm sorry I made you wait in line for this, hopefully your allergies to cigerrette smoke won't cause you to throw up all over the place" in a pretty loud voice, or something like that. :)
twixmix0303

Postby Coaster Alex0805 on January 19th, 2006, 7:48 pm
I wonder where are smoke areas will be
SF IS CLONING! AHHHHH!!!
Coaster Alex0805

Postby twixmix0303 on January 19th, 2006, 9:00 pm
Probably all the yes alcohol patios, at least. Hopefully, not by any restrooms because it wouldn't suprise me if people wander in smoking. If you can only smoke outside the restrooms, you'll have the select few figure that since they couldn't multi-task and light up while walking to the restroom, they'll have to multi-task and light up inside the restroom so they're not wasting time.

My guess for each area would be:
Carousel Plaza-none
Hometown Square-behind Aunt Martha's
Southwest Territory-behind Coca-Cola Cool Zone
County Fair-Luigi's Pizza patio and/or American Eagle tent
Yukon Territory-none
Yankee Harbor-behind Angelo's
Mardi Gras-none
Orleans Place- next to Pizza Orleans
twixmix0303

Postby ihauntu2 on January 21st, 2006, 9:33 am
greatamerica2003 wrote:Good move Great America. The St. Louis park was smoke-free when I was there last year so this is just a expansion to system-wide.

SFSTL isn't exactly smoke free. They have the "suggested smoking area" smoking, which keeps it from really being enforced. I wish I could say it stops people from lighting up in line, but it doesn't. When you walk by one of these areas, you know it. The smoke is pretty thick, and it really looks like a zoo exhibit. You can almost hear Steve Irwin saying "Crike! Look here, We have the endangered midwestern smoker - look at those beautufil plumes of carcinogens...."

In fact when i fritst saw this story the first thing I commented on to my friends was how I always have problems at SFSTL with smokers, but rarely at SFGAM.

We figured it was due to the higher % of smokers in Missouri compared to Ilinois.
It's the most fun in the park when your laughing in the dark.
ihauntu2

Postby Imeanbusiness on January 21st, 2006, 1:22 pm
Eagle Tent? No way that thing will fill up with smoke so fast.
Imeanbusiness

Postby CoasterDave316 on January 21st, 2006, 3:42 pm
Twixmix, I doubt they make all the eating areas smoking areas :).
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby [jonrev] on January 21st, 2006, 5:14 pm
In Mardi Gras they'd probably make one of those areas by Roaring Rapids with the water blasters a smoking area. I saw alot of smokers go there last year.
[jonrev]

Postby twixmix0303 on January 22nd, 2006, 12:05 am
CoasterDave316, okay, that is a lot of eating areas. For Aunt Martha's, it could be on a new patio between the Whizzer exit queue and the back of the restrooms (still far enough away from Whizzer of course). The problem is that there really isn't an out of the way location in Hometown Square other than the Firehouse restrooms, but who wants to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to the bathroom?

For Angleo's, I'm talking on the patio behind it where I never see many people if anyone sitting.

For Pizza Orleans, behind the seating area (far behind the seating area) like by the trestle.
twixmix0303

Return to Headline News