Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Random Park Questions

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby RollingCoasting on December 8th, 2017, 2:08 pm
https://youtu.be/o9UVReIUYzQ

Link to the aforementioned video
RollingCoasting

Postby onyxhotel08 on December 12th, 2017, 3:06 pm
Thanks for the video. Wish they showed more of the work behind the scenes than dancing but its still one I never saw before.

So I read about Six Flags Great Adventure's Holiday in the Park and wondered how can they have one and we can't?
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby CoasterCale on December 14th, 2017, 1:20 pm
The average December temp in Illinois is 27, compared to New Jersey's average of 46. Our 8.2 Inches of snow versus a max of 5.4 inches recorded in New Jersey. Yes it's close to New York which is cold, but the climate is a little bit better.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby ChicagoCoasters on December 16th, 2017, 10:10 am
Does anyone know what land is SFGAm's property? Like what are the boundaries to build new rides? Also can they buy the land across Washington Street?
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby coasterjoy on March 17th, 2018, 10:02 pm
So I tried going to SFGAM the weekend before they closed in November to reactivate my season pass for 2018, but they closed without notice right before we arrived after a two hour drive there. I had to call corporate to get an extension until the end of May since I couldn't make it back the next/last weekend. I figured I'd go to SFGAM in person in April when they open so they can process it like they said over the phone. However, I'm going to Texas next week last minute and I'd like to visit one of the parks there, but my pass on the app is showing as expired. Any idea what my options are? Also, I'd like to bring a friend from Texas to one of the Texas parks with me, but would I have any benefits/discounts for admission for her at those parks since my gold pass was purchased with SFGAM as my home park? Thanks for any help/advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coasterjoy

Postby anewman35 on March 18th, 2018, 12:15 am
coasterjoy wrote:So I tried going to SFGAM the weekend before they closed in November to reactivate my season pass for 2018, but they closed without notice right before we arrived after a two hour drive there. I had to call corporate to get an extension until the end of May since I couldn't make it back the next/last weekend. I figured I'd go to SFGAM in person in April when they open so they can process it like they said over the phone. However, I'm going to Texas next week last minute and I'd like to visit one of the parks there, but my pass on the app is showing as expired. Any idea what my options are? Also, I'd like to bring a friend from Texas to one of the Texas parks with me, but would I have any benefits/discounts for admission for her at those parks since my gold pass was purchased with SFGAM as my home park? Thanks for any help/advice!!!

I feel like the obvious answer is "call the park (or corporate)", because nobody else would be able to say anything for sure.

But I wonder if this could work for you, if you willing to trade in your pass for membership (which is arguably a better deal anyway):

While it is not possible to apply the cost of your 2018 Season Pass to a new Membership, we will for a limited time be able to offer you in-park spending credit equivalent to what you paid for your 2018 Season Passes in the form of "Six Flags Bucks." Six Flags Bucks can be used to purchase most things in the park including food, merchandise, etc. and will be valid for the rest of the 2018 season.

Until April 17 or within the first 30 days following park opening this spring (whichever is later) we will give you full credit for your 2018 Season Pass purchase. After that we will pro-rate your credit based on the number of times you've visited during 2018.

The functionality needed to give you credit for your switch to Membership will not be available until March 19. On/after March 19 please log in to your Season Pass portal and look for the "Upgrade" button for full details. Please note: you will need to know your season pass number, the name on each pass, and the purchase date to be able to claim your spending credit.

If you’ve purchased a 2018 Season Dining Pass or 2018 THE FLASH Pass we will transfer these items from your 2018 Season Pass to your new Membership when you pick up your new Membership cards at the park.
anewman35

Postby coasterjoy on March 21st, 2018, 7:46 pm
anewman35 wrote:
coasterjoy wrote:So I tried going to SFGAM the weekend before they closed in November to reactivate my season pass for 2018, but they closed without notice right before we arrived after a two hour drive there. I had to call corporate to get an extension until the end of May since I couldn't make it back the next/last weekend. I figured I'd go to SFGAM in person in April when they open so they can process it like they said over the phone. However, I'm going to Texas next week last minute and I'd like to visit one of the parks there, but my pass on the app is showing as expired. Any idea what my options are? Also, I'd like to bring a friend from Texas to one of the Texas parks with me, but would I have any benefits/discounts for admission for her at those parks since my gold pass was purchased with SFGAM as my home park? Thanks for any help/advice!!!

I feel like the obvious answer is "call the park (or corporate)", because nobody else would be able to say anything for sure.

But I wonder if this could work for you, if you willing to trade in your pass for membership (which is arguably a better deal anyway):

While it is not possible to apply the cost of your 2018 Season Pass to a new Membership, we will for a limited time be able to offer you in-park spending credit equivalent to what you paid for your 2018 Season Passes in the form of "Six Flags Bucks." Six Flags Bucks can be used to purchase most things in the park including food, merchandise, etc. and will be valid for the rest of the 2018 season.

Until April 17 or within the first 30 days following park opening this spring (whichever is later) we will give you full credit for your 2018 Season Pass purchase. After that we will pro-rate your credit based on the number of times you've visited during 2018.

The functionality needed to give you credit for your switch to Membership will not be available until March 19. On/after March 19 please log in to your Season Pass portal and look for the "Upgrade" button for full details. Please note: you will need to know your season pass number, the name on each pass, and the purchase date to be able to claim your spending credit.

If you’ve purchased a 2018 Season Dining Pass or 2018 THE FLASH Pass we will transfer these items from your 2018 Season Pass to your new Membership when you pick up your new Membership cards at the park.

Corporate was really unhelpful to begin with lol thank you for you the idea and help! Did you find this information online??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by coasterjoy on March 21st, 2018, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coasterjoy

Postby anewman35 on March 21st, 2018, 7:51 pm
Yes, it's in the FAQ here - https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/membership. Looks like the link is available now to do this if you or anybody wants to...
anewman35

Postby onyxhotel08 on April 9th, 2018, 2:52 pm
I know this was asked long time ago...but bare with me...I forgot and it still puzzles me...why no mirrors in bathrooms? Is it a cleaning thing? That they have less to clean? People want to look at themselves in case they need to wash something off...were people vandalizing the mirrors?

I think about this every single time I go in to one of the bathrooms.
onyxhotel08

Postby RandomDoof on April 9th, 2018, 9:53 pm
Okay so I was bored as hell and I started snooping around Six Flags annual reports, you know as you do, and there was something that caught my eye on the 2016 report. On Great America's description it said that there were 30 acres of potentially developable land.

I was just wondering were or what that land would be.

(interesting note, on the 2010 report it says there's 20 acres of potentially developable land)
RandomDoof

Postby onyxhotel08 on April 10th, 2018, 8:26 am
^^ Hmm..interesting. Always heard how we are land locked and not much room for expansion.
onyxhotel08

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 10th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Oh boy here we go

Ok, so I think the most feasible way we can 'expand' our park is actually through Picnic Grove. In the past few years, I've seldom seen anyone use Picnic Grove for anything. Maybe two events a month. Seeing how the pathways are already(for the most part) in place, why not just open them up to the park? If all the picnic pavilion infrastructure is removed, I'm almost certain there's space for rides, shops, games, etc. It can run from Joker all the way through Wilderness Theater, and hook back up at Camp Cartoon/Logger's Run.

As you can see, the paths are comparable to Yankee Harbor and Yukon Territory combined. And while I don't expect them to leave any time soon, the Flumes take up enough space for a very sizable coaster or two. But even if that still isn't enough room, there's always room in the Employee lot area:

The red is the current Boneyard. The blue is the current Employee Parking Lot. The green is Undeveloped land that the park owns. I can definitely see the park moving the employee lot farther back(probably to the upper green area), shifting the bone yard up, and expanding into the leftover land. The Picnic Grove area is directly underneath the boneyard(and goes to show how much room there really is!), so expansion through there can be relatively easy. I doubt we'll be seeing a lot of capital thrown into one area in one year, but if we were to expand the park, this is definitely the way I see it going.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby astucks18 on April 12th, 2018, 11:00 am
^^The red is also mostly greenhouses that are still in use

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 12th, 2018, 1:19 pm
You are correct, but those can be replaced if they really want to. Even then, the greenhouses appear to be a bit farther back "behind" a supposed path, so I doubt it would even be necessary to remove them.

I also want to emphasize that this is all pure speculative guessing. I have no proper backing on any of this, it's just a visualization of an idea I had.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 18th, 2018, 10:25 am
When did the park start randomly prohibiting fanny packs on rides? I did notice the sign on Joker but nobody remotely checked or paid attention if you were wearing it. Or (almost) any other ride I went on yesterday. On Mardi Gras Hangover, someones stuff fell out of his pants when he was upside down. Pockets are not secure. Fanny packs are. They can be zipped and are secure around your waist. When I went on Goliath, as the train was about to depart, the girl noticed my pack. She asked if that's what it was and said I cannot have it on. I had two phones inside. My wallet. Is she personally going to look after it while I am on the ride. Guarantee it will not be stolen? No, she won't. So I left. Did she really think I was gonna put it off to the side? I was too upset and looking back maybe I should have had a nice long conversation about it with her but oh well. Why is it not allowed on? Why do other rides not get checked? If it is a policy, enforce it on ALL rides. Not some. Pockets might as well be checked and everything forced out as they are not secure and cause actual problems with flying objects. Or hats and glasses? Secure hats and glasses? Yeah, right. I am not sure when this started but I have used a fanny pack for years and never had an issue. If you cannot personally have a staff member look after it to make sure it is not stolen, do not force me to leave it behind. I was by myself for that ride. I had nobody to leave it with. I already paid more for my ticket than in the past when I purchased a ticket at Jewel. I was not about to rent a locker (not even sure where they are) to store my stuff for one ride.
onyxhotel08

Postby benneluke on June 18th, 2018, 11:18 am
onyxhotel08 wrote:When did the park start randomly prohibiting fanny packs on rides?

It might very well be that the packs aren't safe with the lap restraints. I use a "Jogging Belt" instead of a fanny pack if I need to carry things with me. Its small and secure for things like my phone and cards. I make it a habit to only bring the essentials with me. My license/credit card/pass, keys, and phone. The keys get clipped to my belt loop and everything else goes in my front pocket or jogging belt. Im not sure what things you need to carry, but check out the jogging belt. Might work for you.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby momlovescoasters on June 18th, 2018, 11:22 am
I second the jogging belt. I wear it under my shirt so no one even knows you have it. Got it on amazon....there is a small separate compartment for your key and then your phone, money and cards fit in the rest. Works great!
momlovescoasters

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 18th, 2018, 11:41 am
I NEVER had an issue before yesterday. It never would have even crossed my mind. Been doing it for years. It poses no threat that something will fall out. Pockets are always unreliable. We might as well force everyone to empty pockets too...and why do some check and some don't? A fanny pack is not going anywhere. Who came up with this? People can wear glasses and hats but not fanny packs which are actually secured to your body?

I wear it around my waist and my shirt covers it. She noticed it as I was sitting down in the train. Had I caught it a second earlier, she would not have seen it. I wish I asked her how in the world does it pose any problem and if I leave it behind is she gonna keep it with her at all times....ridiculous.
onyxhotel08

Postby AirTimeDaz on June 18th, 2018, 11:50 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:This might seem like a really stupid question but would The Edge be considered a roller coaster? It's not on rcdb.com. It had a track, a train (with wheels I believe) and it utilized gravity.
I only went on it 1x but it was a rush!

hmm good question but in my opinion, if you count edge as a coaster, you'd have to count a lot of drop towers as one too. (train/gondola on wheels on a vertical track that utilizes gravity.)

(EDIT: whoops sorry i didn't realize this comment was on a different page.. this is slighty off-topic now)
AirTimeDaz

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 18th, 2018, 11:52 am
Thank you for your note!

This message is just to confirm receipt of the comment you recently left on the Six Flags Great America website about the park dress code. Your message is being forwarded to the appropriate department and you will be contacted as soon as possible (definitely within seven days, but usually much sooner).

Thank you for your message, and have a great day!

Message Category

Park Dress Code

Message Text

I was not allowed on Goliath yesterday with my fanny pack. I have worn it for years and none of the other ride ops have checked before. What is the reason behind this? You allow hats/glasses/pockets full of items that can fall but not a fanny pack that is secured to my body? I saw someones items fall out of his pockets yesterday...Why not force pockets to be emptied? Fanny packs pose no threat. They are completely secure. And if you enforce a rule/policy on one ride, make sure you enforce it on ALL rides. Prohibiting fanny packs but only telling guests "secure your hats and glasses" is contradictory. Pockets, hats and glasses pose the only threat for falling objects.

We'll see what they say. Anyone do this before? Do they call or email?
onyxhotel08

Postby Nystagmus on June 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm
I'm just playing devil's advocate here with your e-mail.

Your entire argument seems to be based on the possibility of items falling during a ride. Did you consider it's an issue of creating a gap between the rider and the restraint? If this premise is true, then there is no contradiction between securing loose articles and wearing a fanny pack as the loose articles don't pose the same threat of the restraint being as close to the rider as possible. Further, the park isn't telling you to secure the items in a fanny pack; they're telling you to secure them and it's up to you to do that in a way that is in accordance with the ride's rules (see quote below). I can already see the question: what's the difference between zipped pockets and a fanny pack? I suppose the response would be is that a fanny pack can be more of an obstruction to the restraint than a zippered pocket.

This will probably be their response: "Information about what can be brought onto rides is clearly posted at the entrance. Information is also posted on our website. Thank you for contacting us and we will share your feedback with the rides department." Here is that information (although slightly out of date):

"Loose articles are not permitted" on the following rides ( Batman: The Ride, Big Easy Balloons, Bouncer, Chubasco, Condor, Dare Devil Dive, Giant Drop, Goliath, Joker, King Chaos, Krazy Kars, Krazy Kups, Scooby Doo’s Mystery Machine, Raging Bull, Revolution, River Rocker, Spacely’s Sprocket Rockets, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Up Up, & Away, Vertical Velocity, X Flight, Zoom Jets) and should be left with non-riders or secured in lockers. Loose articles of any kind (including but not limited to purses, backpacks, beverage containers, cell phones and keys) may not be taken past the queue entrance and cannot be left on the load/unload platform.

Loose articles for the balance of rides such as cell phones, keys, or other small items must be secured in cargo pockets, zippered pockets (or article bins if you have them on the ride doc’s). All loose articles which cannot be secured must be locked in a locker, or left with a non-rider prior to entering the queue line

I agree with you that if the rule is no fanny/waist packs on certain rides, then it needs to be consistently enforced. And I totally empathize with your frustration on that! Having to wait in line the entire time only to be told "take it off" when you haven't had to do that before is frustrating.

You had also mentioned you wished you asked the ride op to be personally responsible for your items. That goes well beyond the duties of the employee. Their job is to ensure the safety of the riders and the operation of the ride. Having to monitor everyone's belongings would compromise that. When I worked at the park (years and years ago) I had a number of guests ask me to keep an eye on their toys, keys, glasses, etc. I'd just say I can't and point to the sign about personal responsibility. I wouldn't remember who had what. My mind was focused on getting each train loaded, secured, and out.

Again, just playing devil's advocate here.
Nystagmus

Postby Tardis1972 on November 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm
I’ve always noticed there’s a single brake (at least I think it’s a brake) on that short straight section before the figure eight on Raging Bull. So why is that break there?
Tardis1972

Postby coasterkidd100 on November 6th, 2018, 6:59 pm
I am assuming it is just a trim brake to slow down trains that may be about to enter the figure eight section of the coaster too fast. Kind of like the trim brakes before and after the helix on American Eagle.
coasterkidd100

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 6th, 2018, 7:02 pm
I always thought it was there to make the drop following it (the one with the photo) more of a "surprise".
The train isn't moving that fast to warrant a trim brake there but I'm not an engineer.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on November 7th, 2018, 7:26 pm
I have definitely had rides on Bull where that trim brake was turned on. It serves a purpose if the train in absolutely hauling into that last section.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum