Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby anewman35 on November 5th, 2018, 9:31 pm
And the key point is the every other park I looked up (not that I looked at all of them) IS open January 1st. So just seemed a little odd we aren't, that's all.
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 8th, 2018, 3:55 pm
I'm very surprised that Demon isn't among the rides that will be running! I thought that ride was pretty much indestructible. Is it not going to be running due to its lower ridership?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Muck Finnesota on November 8th, 2018, 7:31 pm
^ I don't know what the actual reasoning is, but Demon struggled at times in the cold last year during Last Blast. My guess is that factored into the decision.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby Tardis1972 on November 8th, 2018, 11:19 pm
^ Not only that but it actually got stuck on the MCBR for a several minutes during the final day of Last Call last year. So yeah I can understand why it’s not going to be open.
Tardis1972

Postby UnclePennybags on November 10th, 2018, 8:48 pm
I was at Last Call today and ran across walls of LED lights being installed around Chubasco's entire exterior. Looks like it's getting a complete makeover for Holiday in the Park.

UnclePennybags

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 10th, 2018, 10:38 pm
I think they should change "the list". I think people are going to have too high of expectations. Today, you had about 5 rides open. When they expect too much, they will really be mad / furious. And yeah, one ride NOT on the list which was open in about 33 degree weather was the swings. They should take something else off the list, and put the swings on the list. Really dumb to not have the swings on that list.

I can tell you some Christmas things though. By Superman (looking through the fence), there is a big Saint Nicholas statue that is in pieces. It's LARGE, and fiberglass / plastic. If you ever go to Holiday World, they have a Saint Nicholas statue out front. It's something like that. Also, I seen a LARGE tree further back near the Dark Knight, and when you are in the park, I even seen the tree peaking out of the Dark Knight, on the top - because it's that tall.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on November 10th, 2018, 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby DejaVu2001 on November 10th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Whirligig's reason for not opening during Holiday In The Park has nothing to do with temperature. The ride has to be disassembled before any significant snowfall.
DejaVu2001

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 10th, 2018, 11:03 pm
^Okay (Thank you), I get it now.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on November 11th, 2018, 11:07 am
UnclePennybags wrote:I was at Last Call today and ran across walls of LED lights being installed around Chubasco's entire exterior.

Those are RGB leds too. That means there's going to be a light show on that building! SFGAm is really going all-out for HITP. I really hope people come out and make it a success. It would be great to have it every year.
cliffhanger

Postby ChicagoCoasters on November 12th, 2018, 12:27 am
cliffhanger wrote:
UnclePennybags wrote:I was at Last Call today and ran across walls of LED lights being installed around Chubasco's entire exterior.

Those are RGB leds too. That means there's going to be a light show on that building! SFGAm is really going all-out for HITP. I really hope people come out and make it a success. It would be great to have it every year.

That light show will probably be synchronized with the Giant Drop Christmas tree. They are calling it Kalightoscope.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on November 12th, 2018, 2:23 pm
The page is finished and I think all the attractions at the event will be great :D .
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/special-events/holiday-in-the-park#ref49292
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 12th, 2018, 2:31 pm
I see some of rethemed names of the park are:

Holiday Square (Hometown Square)
Kalightoscope (Southwest Territory)
Elegance (Carousel Plaza)
Home for the Holidays (Yukon Territory)
Jingle Bell Jazz & Snowman City (Orleans Place)
Merry Market Place (the Food Court)
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on November 13th, 2018, 11:55 am
Here is a link to a Google Doc I made for the HITP shows and events.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

The website says they will have a guide soon, but I went ahead and compiled all the information here if anyone wants to start making plans for next week.
Last edited by cliffhanger on November 20th, 2018, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cliffhanger

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on November 13th, 2018, 2:04 pm
^ Thanks, this is actually very neat in my opinion. If the park doesn't release it yet maybe I would print your guide out and use it myself.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 13th, 2018, 6:59 pm
Nice job with the schedule you created!!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby UWW-10 on November 14th, 2018, 6:30 pm
anewman35 wrote:And the key point is the every other park I looked up (not that I looked at all of them) IS open January 1st. So just seemed a little odd we aren't, that's all.

My only guess for this would be that Illinois State Law requires the rides to be inspected yearly and since it's a new year...the rides would not be certified by the state to run. The park could easily still be open, but perhaps they figure it would be pointless...who knows?
UWW-10

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 14th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Bugs Bunny is going to be the grand marshall for the Chicago Thanksgiving day parade, and promote this event.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainm ... amily-fun/
Ilovthevu'

Postby DejaVu2001 on November 16th, 2018, 6:42 am
The 2018 Holiday In The Park map & guide is available now:

https://static.sixflags.com/website/fil ... -guide.pdf
DejaVu2001

Postby CoasterMike on November 16th, 2018, 10:23 am
I wonder how long the lines are going to get for the rides especially since Batman, Superman, and X Flight will only be running 1 train for HIP. I hope that doesn’t get a lot of people too mad considering the lines may get really long.
CoasterMike

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on November 16th, 2018, 3:11 pm
^ The point of HITP is not for the rides, people will show up for the atmosphere of the event, to see the lights, and taste the food. The being said the lines will probably be long.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Ilovthevu' on November 18th, 2018, 12:04 am
In regards to what happened during Last Call Festival. This is what I have concluded.

What should be open for 33 degree weather and below:
Carousel
Bumper Cars
Dark Knight
Justice League
Chubasco
Go Karts - if not slick pavement

What should be open around 39 degrees
Hometown Fun Machine
Lobster
Batman (outdoors)
Batman (indoors)
Joker
V2
Raging Bull
Chubasco
Carousel
Justice League
Bumper Cars
Go Karts -if not slick pavement
(Superman wasn't open. I don't think X-Flight was open either)

River Rocker (I don't know because on both days the exit was blocked due to them stringing lights, so it never opened).

So, that's 2 different types of days. Be prepared for the 6 ride day even though it's really 5 rides because you have to pay extra money for the 6th ride. To me, on those days they should just make the Go-Karts free. You only have 5 rides open.

I am glad it's open, but I am just trying to warn the person that goes twice a year, and wants to ride, a bunch of rides because it's an amusement park. Lights and Christmas things are great, but people first come for the rides, and than look (and do) the other stuff. The lights / shows (to me) are a bonus to people. Would anyone pay $50 a visit (+$26 parking) JUST to see the lights? I personally don't think they would.

I am fine with the park open, and 5 rides open (Believe me). I will still come, but I'm not paying the $50 1 time or 2 time visit person who might be severely disappointed. So, to those people; you should come to the park 39 degrees and up, in my opinion.
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on November 20th, 2018, 6:18 pm
DejaVu2001 wrote:The 2018 Holiday In The Park map & guide is available now

I've updated my Show Guide with new info. IDK if anyone will want to use it, but I think it's a little easier to see the showtimes all together.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
cliffhanger

Postby Lizardgi on November 20th, 2018, 9:45 pm
Does anyone know how the regular dining plan works when the park opens at 2? We have the regular plan that includes lunch and a snack. If the park opens at 2 is there just no lunch option?
Lizardgi

Postby anewman35 on November 20th, 2018, 10:26 pm
Lizardgi wrote:Does anyone know how the regular dining plan works when the park opens at 2? We have the regular plan that includes lunch and a snack. If the park opens at 2 is there just no lunch option?

I don't know, but I do know that lunch normally runs to 3:30, so there would be time to use it...
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on November 21st, 2018, 2:43 am
Personally I’d only need to eat once in those 6hrs but you can guarantee my big bro will find time to use lunch, dinner & his snack in that time. Lol
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum