Latest News
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Anyone experience a Grey-out (brown out) on Batman the Ride?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Luxornv on September 1st, 2008, 11:55 pm
My friends have said this has happened to them, and it on rare occasion happens to me. It just depends on my condition when I ride.
Luxornv

Postby wishman35 on September 2nd, 2008, 12:51 am
Could it have anything to do with any recent change to the ride? I mean i cant imagine anything is possible like a speed increase unless the trains and track have been lubed or something ? lol

It has only happened recently, and aside from it not being threatening. like above posters say it is very unpleasant and a bit scary.
wishman35

Postby Trailblazer Tony on September 2nd, 2008, 10:13 am
FParker185 wrote:yeah, definately sounds like G-lock

It's not dangerous in the least (for the amount of time that you experience it on a roller coaster) but Shockwave always caught me, from the entrance to the second loop to the block brake. Nitro's pre mid course helix always gets me also.

Glad i'm not the only one. I got it on both of those, and also on Batman! It always worries me slightly, but many people have the same problem on Batman, so it's a common occurance....and one of the reasons why i don't ride Batman anymore....
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby tp41190 on September 2nd, 2008, 10:27 am
One thing that might help is to push you shoulders and upper body up against the restraint. This will keep your muscles working and keep the blood flowing up around your neck/head. Think of it as taking a big $*it.
[read]
tp41190

Postby Trailblazer Tony on September 3rd, 2008, 11:55 am
^I dont' know if think about taking a giant crap will improve my enjoyment of the ride, but i'll give your tactic a try next time I'm on the ride! :)
RIP: Trailblazer and Deja Vu...heck, even Alien Encounter :(

Fangs Up Cobra Style!!!

Chitown's finest resident here!!!!!
Trailblazer Tony

Postby Demon_07 on September 3rd, 2008, 9:02 pm
I guess I'm wierd because this hasn't happened to me once. I've sat all over BTR and it's just fine for me. The flat spins are a little unenjoyable (For me at least) but it's never made me grey out. Also, I've never even gotten queasy after riding a roller coaster no matter how many times in a row you put me on it. *Cough* Demon *Cough* Anyway, I still like BTR and I'm surprised so many people are turning against it.
Maybe A Great Day Is Just What You Need This Year
'09 Demon rides-50
'09 SFGAm Visits-21
Demon_07

Postby wishman35 on September 3rd, 2008, 10:18 pm
Demon_07 wrote:I guess I'm wierd because this hasn't happened to me once. I've sat all over BTR and it's just fine for me. The flat spins are a little unenjoyable (For me at least) but it's never made me grey out. Also, I've never even gotten queasy after riding a roller coaster no matter how many times in a row you put me on it. *Cough* Demon *Cough* Anyway, I still like BTR and I'm surprised so many people are turning against it.

lol i cant imagine demon making anyone the slightest sick. even 100 re-rides...probably just get old and have a headache haha.

anyways we aren't turning against it, its just a bit nerve wrecking when you lose vision and stuff. its pretty scary since i haven't had this issue and now in the loops i cant see anything, feel like passing out
wishman35

Postby tillenterprises on September 3rd, 2008, 10:52 pm
I've never experienced this on Batman, but I usually sit up near the front two rows. I have experienced this on 2 coasters on the same day at Six Flags Over Texas- Titan going into the helix and Shockwave going into the 2nd loop. That was a few years ago, and then, last year I went to SFOT again and rode both of them with no problems at all, but my 11 year old son greyed out a little on Titan's helix.
tillenterprises

Postby Demon_07 on September 4th, 2008, 3:55 pm
wishman35 wrote:
Demon_07 wrote:I guess I'm wierd because this hasn't happened to me once. I've sat all over BTR and it's just fine for me. The flat spins are a little unenjoyable (For me at least) but it's never made me grey out. Also, I've never even gotten queasy after riding a roller coaster no matter how many times in a row you put me on it. *Cough* Demon *Cough* Anyway, I still like BTR and I'm surprised so many people are turning against it.

lol i cant imagine demon making anyone the slightest sick. even 100 re-rides...probably just get old and have a headache haha.

anyways we aren't turning against it, its just a bit nerve wrecking when you lose vision and stuff. its pretty scary since i haven't had this issue and now in the loops i cant see anything, feel like passing out

By the 15th ride, it gets to the point where your hands are folded in your lap
Maybe A Great Day Is Just What You Need This Year
'09 Demon rides-50
'09 SFGAm Visits-21
Demon_07

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 4th, 2008, 5:11 pm

I will never turn against BTR. It is such a good ride and I will always love it! It is just weird losing your vision for a few seconds.
coasterkidd100

Postby MJMiller86 on July 9th, 2010, 11:06 pm
First time i EVER greyed out was on Millenium Force at Cedar Point, but NEVER at SFGA...until today. I've been here several times over the years, but never grayed out from anything here. Only was able to get on 2 real coasters because the lines were sooooo long. BOGO day (Friday, the last day for it). I was on BTR and at the first loop my vision went out. That's never happened before here and i think it was due to lack of food and water (it was the first ride of the day), but then i went on American Eagle and i was fine. Last was the Giant Drop and i was alright there too, kinda dizzy after the drop tho, but thats it.
MJMiller86

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 10th, 2010, 9:20 am
Drink more liquids. It won't happen as much if you keep your body hydrated enough.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Cole on July 10th, 2010, 11:26 am
I have greyed out on the following rides.
-Batman The Ride SFGAm
-Nitro
-Kingda Ka
-Kumba
Thats it.
Top 5: 1) El Toro. 2) Maverick. 3) Millenium Force. 4) Diamondback. 5) X2.
Coaster Count: 167 (41 Wood, 125 Steel)
@Coaster_Cole on Twitter
Cole

Postby wishman35 on July 11th, 2010, 2:27 pm
I forgot I started this topic awhile back. Nonetheless, the issue has definitely cut my ridership on Batman a good chunk. I rode it yesterday with not much of an issue, my head was feeling a bit woozy and almost got to the point of seeing spots coming out of the 2nd loop. Its unfortunate as I used to re-ride Batman and loved it.

As others have said, I also greyed out at the bottom of the hill on Millennium Force, and on Batman... those are the only two. Superman gets close through the pretzel loop, but not enough to warrant any worries.
wishman35

Postby onyxhotel08 on July 12th, 2010, 12:12 am
Never had this happen. Scary.
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby david on July 12th, 2010, 12:13 am
Batman after 5 rides. ;)
david

Postby Goku1910 on July 13th, 2010, 6:06 pm
It's not the ride, it's just the persons ability to resist G-Force. The Blue Angel pilots took Adam Savage for a ride from Mythbusters...remember? He experienced an extreme version of what you're experiencing. As you get older, you become less tolerant to those G-Forces.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby sfgam1 on July 13th, 2010, 7:12 pm
Same happens to me. But it only started this year.
sfgam1

Postby MJMiller86 on July 13th, 2010, 9:52 pm
i dont think its from getting older, at least in most cases. i grayed out at cedar point when i was like 15 and went to six flags when i was 22 and nothing happened. now that im 23 i only grayed out once at six flags on 1 ride. after i ate and drank some water i was fine after that.
MJMiller86

Postby monsterfan99 on July 13th, 2010, 10:09 pm
^Hydration and age both play a big part.
monsterfan99

Postby scott2608 on July 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
monsterfan99 wrote:^Hydration and age both play a big part.

I agree hydration is very important, I hit every water fountain I see and sometime before and after a ride if it is close to to the ride.
Great America Visits
2008 = 2
2009 = 26
2010 = 33
2011 = 17
2012 = 8
2013 = 4
2014 = 3

scott2608

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 9th, 2018, 2:18 am
I just have to bring this topic up once again, because hydration, hydration, hydration, hydration is so important at the amusement park, and I think people just need to know this every so many years. Tell every friend / parent, etc you need to stay hydrated at an amusement park / carnival, etc. I don't want to see people faint or throw-up on any ride. If you are sick from a stomach flu, that's a different reason, but notice the fainting or throw-ups on really hot days. You could faint or throw-up on any day though, but it's usually worse on warmer days because people sweat more.

I probably did the browning out maybe a whole 2 times I have ridden that ride. I have ridden that ride so much in my life. I didn't realize at the time about hydration. I think hydration is more important than even eating something. People think when they start to not feel good, the first thing they should do is definitely eat something. Sure, you can eat something, but it probably has more to do with liquids than you not eating something. They say 8 cups of water of day is the minimum, but that's not also in the hot sun walking around miles & miles around the park, doing physical activity riding rides. The way (other than the way you feel) you can tell you are de-hydrated is the DARKER your pee is, the more de-hydrated you.

I have heard (on the internet) that around 60% of a person's body weight is water.

"According to Dr. Jeffrey Utz, Neuroscience, pediatrics, Allegheny University, different people have different percentages of their bodies made up of water. Babies have the most, being born at about 78%. By one year of age, that amount drops to about 65%. In adult men, about 60% of their bodies are water. However, fat tissue does not have as much water as lean tissue. In adult women, fat makes up more of the body than men, so they have about 55% of their bodies made of water. "
from
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/propertyyou.html

Notice 60% of a person's body weight is more water in your body than you have solids.

Personally, I would rather not see anyone brown or black out / faint / throw-up. Spread this to everyone you know. I don't want to see people have to go home and get their day cut (have a bad day) because this happened.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 9th, 2018, 6:01 am
I rode in the front row one of the times I visited this year and I don't know what it was, but my feet got an intense tingling pain that it really hurt and once I got off it hurt to walk on them. Not sure what happened but could it be that it was so fast my blood was rushing the other way in my feet? I honestly have no clue.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby MrsTaxi on September 10th, 2018, 7:29 am
Been riding Batman since it's opening year...never had a grey out that I can recall. I've had a few on X-Flight and many on ShockWave.
MrsTaxi

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 10th, 2018, 9:39 am
^ Hydration is very important as mentioned above! While I've never had a grey-out on Batman, I do feel that big turn it takes (when setting up for the corkscrews) to be possibly the most intense element of the ride and probably as intense as the bottom part of Superman's pretzel loop.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum