Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Mean Streaker on September 4th, 2018, 12:47 am
B&MGuy35 wrote:Apparently Maxx Force is already broken....

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Roller-coaster-rolls-to-coasting-halt-in-rollout-492285761.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article is disgusting...
Mean Streaker

Postby JackGlass on September 4th, 2018, 3:15 am
The Demon... he's gonna gethcya! :twisted: lol
JackGlass

Postby benneluke on September 4th, 2018, 11:28 am
Wow. What a stupid article. Did no one do research at all before writing that piece of shit? Some dumba$$ heard a ride got stuck and that everyone was excited by Maxx Force and decided to write an article. Did they not even bother to google Maxx Force? Two seconds would tell them its a 2019 addition and not even built yet.

Even the real story is not that newsworthy. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and safely stopped the ride. With all the times STT has broken down, Im surprised the news hasn't labeled it as "300 FOOT DEATH TRAP STRANDS RIDERS AND REMAINS OPEN AT SIX FLAGS".
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby gottastrata33 on September 4th, 2018, 2:19 pm
benneluke wrote:Wow. What a stupid article. Did no one do research at all before writing that piece of shit? Some dumba$$ heard a ride got stuck and that everyone was excited by Maxx Force and decided to write an article. Did they not even bother to google Maxx Force? Two seconds would tell them its a 2019 addition and not even built yet.

Even the real story is not that newsworthy. It did exactly what it was supposed to do and safely stopped the ride. With all the times STT has broken down, Im surprised the news hasn't labeled it as "300 FOOT DEATH TRAP STRANDS RIDERS AND REMAINS OPEN AT SIX FLAGS".

Sadly rides getting stuck these days makes bad media top stories. THREE people tagged me in that article or sent it to me. What bothered me was them being shocked when I said “That’s not news it happens all the time” as in they’re safe & it’s normal.
gottastrata33

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on September 4th, 2018, 3:51 pm
Good thing they removed because that was just fake news all the way good grief.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby IssaCoaster on September 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm
coasterkidd100 wrote:I wonder why Maxx Force is going to have 2 person across seating and not the 4 person across seating like some of the other air launch coasters that have been built.

This is a little late, but I think having four seats across may put too much stress on the track and the train going through that 60 mph zero g roll.
IssaCoaster

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 4th, 2018, 7:11 pm
I cannot wait to see the trains on this ride. Also, hopefully Great America will have a good talk at that convention in January? What's the name of the convention?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby IssaCoaster on September 4th, 2018, 7:12 pm
And do you think West Coast Racers and MaxxForce will trigger a coaster wars? We single handly out did Cedar Fair this year and sorta slapped them in the face with these attractions. I want a coaster war because that basically means more for the guests in the long run.
IssaCoaster

Postby ledgeland on September 4th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Hello.

I'm trying to understand where the train bridge will be that it launches under. Would it be a bridge that doesn't exist yet? I would guess from the official video animation that it might somehow be by the turn near Viper right before the existing train bridge before the Hometown Square station.

I saw on other posts that track has been removed in that area, but I'm still struggling to figure this out.

It seems like the terrain is odd over there as how high/low the land is in any given spot, and maybe I'm confused, but other than moving the whole turn closer to Viper I can't figure out where this bridge would go.

Thank you.
ledgeland

Postby ledgeland on September 4th, 2018, 7:27 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I cannot wait to see the trains on this ride. Also, hopefully Great America will have a good talk at that convention in January? What's the name of the convention?

No Coaster Con?
ledgeland

Postby JackGlass on September 4th, 2018, 8:10 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:And do you think West Coast Racers and MaxxForce will trigger a coaster wars? We single handly out did Cedar Fair this year and sorta slapped them in the face with these attractions. I want a coaster war because that basically means more for the guests in the long run.

Burke vs Kinzel 2.0 lol. I would welcome a second round of coaster wars! Just as long as they don't repeat the mistakes that caused Six Flags to go bankrupt!

Six Flags can easily spend an extra $30 Million a year on one bad ass coaster for the chain..... just don't install 10 of them in one year and put it on a credit card, lol
JackGlass

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 4th, 2018, 10:32 pm
ledgeland wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I cannot wait to see the trains on this ride. Also, hopefully Great America will have a good talk at that convention in January? What's the name of the convention?

No Coaster Con?

Yes. I didn't know if that was correct and didn't want to say it and sound stupid lol
SFGAM_Hog

Postby JackGlass on September 5th, 2018, 3:19 am
Hypothetical. But this would be a great place to expand if Great America could buy out those houses and get that area rezoned from residential to business. This would have a Darien Lake vibe to it. Just demolish Theater Royale and connect that area with a bridge.
Attachments
2.jpg
JackGlass

Postby UnclePennybags on September 5th, 2018, 7:32 am
ledgeland wrote:I'm trying to understand where the train bridge will be that it launches under. Would it be a bridge that doesn't exist yet? I would guess from the official video animation that it might somehow be by the turn near Viper right before the existing train bridge before the Hometown Square station.

The bridge will probably be closer to the old Pictorium building. Take a look at the following map:

The red line was a *rough* estimate of Maxx's track layout as of August 30. Focus only on the straight section of Maxx's track where it intersects the train track. This is probably where the new bridge will go.

Note that Maxx's track will be sunk into the ground a bit, so his elevation will likely be below the train tracks' current elevation:

Currently, this is all speculation. However, from what I've seen from Maxx's first trailer, it looks like the location of the new bridge will be close to the intersection described above.
UnclePennybags

Postby JackGlass on September 5th, 2018, 7:43 am
Can't wait until more art work is released! :-) I'm just so glad this didn't turn out to be a water park addition, lol Great America is rapidly becoming a mega park and I for one welcome it with open arms!
JackGlass

Postby ledgeland on September 5th, 2018, 8:16 am
UnclePennybags wrote:
ledgeland wrote:I'm trying to understand where the train bridge will be that it launches under. Would it be a bridge that doesn't exist yet? I would guess from the official video animation that it might somehow be by the turn near Viper right before the existing train bridge before the Hometown Square station.

The bridge will probably be closer to the old Pictorium building. Take a look at the following map:

The red line was a *rough* estimate of Maxx's track layout as of August 30. Focus only on the straight section of Maxx's track where it intersects the train track. This is probably where the new bridge will go.

Note that Maxx's track will be sunk into the ground a bit, so his elevation will likely be below the train tracks' current elevation:

Currently, this is all speculation. However, from what I've seen from Maxx's first trailer, it looks like the location of the new bridge will be close to the intersection described above.

Thank you. I think the thing that I was not understanding was the possibility that the launch would be dug into the ground. Hopefully we will see some more official renders soon!
ledgeland

Postby Jodon on September 5th, 2018, 9:44 am
IssaCoaster wrote:And do you think West Coast Racers and MaxxForce will trigger a coaster wars? We single handly out did Cedar Fair this year and sorta slapped them in the face with these attractions. I want a coaster war because that basically means more for the guests in the long run.

What???

These small-ish additions at SFMM and SFGAm will in no way start another coaster wars. SF corporate doesn't want to participate in a coaster wars, unless they want to test out the "Who wins in a fight? A horse, or 100 chickens" debate. I also completely disagree with you that Maxx Force single-handedly outshines all of Cedar Fairs additions. Copperhead Strike looks like a pretty impressive ride. It might not have the intensity of Maxx's launch, but it looks to be a really fun ride! You might have also forgotten about the record braking B&M dive coaster at Canada's Wonderland.

If SF corporate really does want to get into another coaster wars (they don't), they are doing a very poor job planning for the war, as they would have already lost the first two battles.
Jodon

Postby Sven18 on September 5th, 2018, 10:24 am
IssaCoaster wrote:And do you think West Coast Racers and MaxxForce will trigger a coaster wars? We single handly out did Cedar Fair this year and sorta slapped them in the face with these attractions.

LOL! SF has continuously proven to be a yip dog with an insecurity complex. The reason they announced their RMC Raptor a month early in 2018 was b/c they knew there supposed best addition was mot even close to what Cedar fair was adding. There will be no coaster war b/c it's assymetrical welfare with what CF has to what SF has. The 2 chains have 2 different plans, SF wants to be Walmart and Cedar Fair has no desire to be. CF is about making more of their parks destination parks with resorts/hotels.
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on September 5th, 2018, 10:37 am
JackGlass wrote:Burke vs Kinzel 2.0 lol. I would welcome a second round of coaster wars! Just as long as they don't repeat the mistakes that caused Six Flags to go bankrupt!

Six Flags can easily spend an extra $30 Million a year on one bad ass coaster for the chain..... just don't install 10 of them in one year and put it on a credit card, lol

No SF can't easily spend an extra 30M b/c the have a Capex formula that prevents it. They have no desire to spend more and have no need to b/c people show up no matter what. They have cultivated a base with low expectations. SF has and will continue to buy inexpensive coasters from manufacturers with low costs such as Premier, S&S, etc..,ie...no B&M's, Intamin's, Mack's. SF is now in the process of trying to sell snow to an eskimo..ie..convincing people ti pay 20 or 30 more for at least a Gold plus membership in 2019 to get the same benefits they got from a Gold Pass in 2018. SF was just to scared to raise prices directly so they are trying to hide a massive increase in the new membership structure. SF knew they had to increase prices b/c attendance was flattening as they maxed out on the number of people who would buy cheap passes...ie...300K attendance in 2017 while adding 2 new water parks. Attendance would have been down w/o the 2 new parks just like attendance would have been down thru Q2 w/o the 5 new parks they obtained operating leases for in May 2018.
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on September 5th, 2018, 10:49 am
Sven18 wrote:
JackGlass wrote:Burke vs Kinzel 2.0 lol. I would welcome a second round of coaster wars! Just as long as they don't repeat the mistakes that caused Six Flags to go bankrupt!

No SF can't easily spend an extra 30M b/c the have a Capex formula that prevents it. They have no desire to spend more and have no need to b/c people show up no matter what. They have cultivated a base with low expectations. SF has and will continue to buy inexpensive coasters from manufacturers with low costs such as Premier, S&S, etc..,ie...no B&M's, Intamin's, Mack's. SF is now in the process of trying to sell snow to an eskimo..ie..convincing people ti pay 20 or 30 more for at least a Gold plus membership in 2019 to get the same benefits they got from a Gold Pass in 2018. SF was just to scared to raise prices directly so they are trying to hide a massive increase in the new membership structure. SF knew they had to increase prices b/c attendance was flattening as they maxed out on the number of people who would buy cheap passes...ie...300K attendance in 2017 while adding 2 new water parks. Attendance would have been down w/o the 2 new parks just like attendance would have been down thru Q2 w/o the 5 new parks they obtained operating leases for in May 2018.

Capex is set yearly and can be raised whenever they desire. The likely hood of that happening? Slim to none. That's why I said they can easily spend an extra $30 Million (Which they could) Never said they were going to!

Right now Capex exceeds 9% when waterparks are included, it's closer to 10% But in order for them to start cranking out large scale B&M's they would either have to ditch this "Every park gets soemthign new every year" strategy or increase the cap..... both of which seem unlikely at this point
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on September 5th, 2018, 11:06 am
JackGlass wrote:
Sven18 wrote:

Capex is set yearly and can be raised whenever they desire. The likely hood of that happening? Slim to none. That's why I said they can easily spend an extra $30 Million (Which they could) Never said they were going to!

Right now Capex exceeds 9% when waterparks are included, it's closer to 10% But in order for them to start cranking out large scale B&M's they would either have to ditch this "Every park gets soemthign new every year" strategy or increase the cap..... both of which seem unlikely at this point

Capex is set by formula they have reiterated over and over again they are not changing. In fact they are talking about reducing the % of Capex as % of revenue. SF has no need to increase Capex or build B&M's, the patrons don't care about big coasters. SF can put in the same thing at 3/4th of their parks and people suck it up as great. If people want big coasters they buy season passes at other chains. Also, the give something to everyone is their bragging point. The simple fact is instead of giving parks super loops or some other cheap cloned rides they should actually invest in infrastructure, aesthetics, better restaurants, drink services like Free Styles. etc.. instead. SF parks are the worst among all the chains in these areas, below Sea World, BG, Cedar Fair, etc..
Sven18

Postby JackGlass on September 5th, 2018, 11:13 am
That's why I still go to Cedar Point every summer, lol. Had we gotten a water park expansion I was not going to get a season pass for Great America this year and instead take two trips to Cedar Point.

I'm happy about Maxx Force. But I almost wish Kieran Burke would become CEO again. I could care less if Six Flags goes bankrupt, I'm not a shareholder and it had zero impact on me last time it did go BK.

Great America is so profitable that it will never go under as a theme park. The worst case scenario would be Cedar Fair purchasing Great America, Magic Mountain and Great Adventure, which I wouldn't mind at all, lol
JackGlass

Postby Sven18 on September 5th, 2018, 11:43 am
JackGlass wrote:That's why I still go to Cedar Point every summer, lol. Had we gotten a water park expansion I was not going to get a season pass for Great America this year and instead take two trips to Cedar Point.

I'm happy about Maxx Force. But I almost wish Kieran Burke would become CEO again. I could care less if Six Flags goes bankrupt, I'm not a shareholder and it had zero impact on me last time it did go BK.

Great America is so profitable that it will never go under as a theme park. The worst case scenario would be Cedar Fair purchasing Great America, Magic Mountain and Great Adventure, which I wouldn't mind at all, lol

There is literally no chance under their current management of going bankrupt. The current management is even setting up a safety net for the cyclical and eventual recessions that occur in the US. The foreign licensing deals are safety net. There are 12 and will be to 20 or more within another 5 years. The memberships are even a safety net in a way in a economic downturn b/c people are less likely to cancel a small monthly auto pay than having to make a conscious decision to make a lump sum payment.

Don't see a scenario where CF buys SFMM, it's in the same market as Knotts. Also, it's SF's second most valuable asset after GAdv. SFMM estimated market value is 469M, GAm 399M and GAdv 756M. Don't see any of these assets ever being sold individually or a package deal. There are a few other parks that would not be in the market if things went south such as SFOT(value 355M). The neglected parks would be the ones to go..SFA, LaRonde, etc...

CF has made some statements in recent years about acquisitions but it sounds like they made inquiries to some indy family owned park,that weren't ready to sell. CF also mentioned in their Q2 call that they have received foreign inquiries into possible SF like licensing deals. CF is not actively seeking deals but have received incoming calls that they may explore in the future.
Sven18

Postby coasterfanatic on September 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Based on the layout from the picture that one of the guys posted her, it's clear they are not using ALL the available space from Pictorium.

This potentially opens the door to adding smaller rides in that area in the future.

The majority of the general population don't visit OTHER Six Flags parks. SF knows this and that is why a lot of parks have the same rides. They are ADDING 3 more pendulum rides and two more Superloops this year. The general public will eat up MaxxForce. SF knows that it doesn't need to add a $25 million Intamin launch coaster to attract people to the park. SF has not bought a B&M since X Flight. THis is also the first season in several seasons that they are not doing work with RMC. With the park expanding its profile to 25 parks now (all three are standalone waterparks), two more parks are now apart of the "something new every year." As long as JRA remains president, chairman and CEO, that is not going to change. He started that.
coasterfanatic

Postby SaveTheWAVE on September 5th, 2018, 6:28 pm
It might make sense to move the go-karts by Maxx Force. They could theme that whole sub-section of Carousel Plaza to racing.
SaveTheWAVE

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum