Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Maxx Force NEW FOR 2019

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby LordMagnus101 on August 30th, 2018, 10:13 am
I hope the track is white. In the logo is red.
LordMagnus101

Postby briphotoguy on August 30th, 2018, 11:09 am
I love how the launch will go under the train... I just realized that by a picture someone posted...
briphotoguy

Postby JackGlass on August 30th, 2018, 11:18 am
Just imagine the night rides on this thing? Looks like they plan to keep most of those trees next to Whizzer intact, so this is going to be amazing!
JackGlass

Postby Mean Streaker on August 30th, 2018, 11:20 am
IssaCoaster wrote:Guys, do you know why American Eagle was not in the MaxxForce video? They literally had every other ride except for Eagle.

Looks like lazy animation to me. There isn't really any angles where you could see AE too well, and it's a big ride to render. I'm guessing they left it out for easiness while animating.
Mean Streaker

Postby rct2wizard360 on August 30th, 2018, 11:23 am
Really excited for this one. It'll definitely get me to the park for the first time in five years.

I'm happy they finally found room for a new coaster without getting rid of an old one. It's not exactly the Alton Towers-esque interaction with the rest of the park, but it's awesome to see it being so close to the train, Whizzer, Raging Bull and Hurricane Harbor.
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears
rct2wizard360

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 11:33 am
If it was a Premier coaster, I would be: I can't wait for this thing. It's going to be amazing. It looks amazing. With S&S, I'm definitely not AS excited for this ride. Remember S&S are the people that built Hypersonic, and it lasted 6 years. Joker is a somewhat disappointment to me. Galeforce problems. I don't get why they didn't go with Premier. Very confused about that?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Wisco Woody on August 30th, 2018, 11:35 am
Unfortunately it does look like it will brake right at the bottom of the 2nd roll and half loop, meaning only 6 to 7 or at most 8 elements and a launch to brakes duration of no longer than 30 seconds. With the limited 12 person per train capacity and expected huge draw it will have right by the entrance, the lines for Maxx Force may very well only be reasonable at the very opening and possibly closing of the park every day.

I do not expect this to surpass Goliath or possibly even Bull or X-Flight in most of our eyes due to its length, but it will challenge for and likely become the most intense coaster in the park, possibly in the entire midwest. Most importantly, it will finally reduce the strain and lines of Superman as the front entrance coaster, and help with the lines of Goliath, X-Flight, Joker, and Bull.
Wisco Woody

Postby chicagoperson on August 30th, 2018, 11:36 am
Mean Streaker wrote:
IssaCoaster wrote:Guys, do you know why American Eagle was not in the MaxxForce video? They literally had every other ride except for Eagle.

Looks like lazy animation to me. There isn't really any angles where you could see AE too well, and it's a big ride to render. I'm guessing they left it out for easiness while animating.

Not too sure on that. They had Dare Devil Dive in the animation but not the parks most iconic coaster?
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 12:10 pm

The only reason I can think is because American Eagle has a lot of white, and this coaster has a lot of white. They don't want people confused by the two.

I don't like that Condor is NOT in the video though! They have all the other tall rides like Sky Trek Tower, and Giant Drop.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on August 30th, 2018, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 30th, 2018, 12:13 pm
I am sure that American Eagle just wasn't added because it is so large and would be difficult to add to the back of a video for only a few seconds. I don't see anything happening to American Eagle in the near future besides maybe some track work.
coasterkidd100

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 30th, 2018, 12:35 pm
Curious if anyone else thinks this coaster is a slap in Cedar Points face. Sure it doesn’t compare to what they have but there’s 2 elements on this that leads me to believe so. First, the bunny hill after the launch. Can you say Steel Vengeance. Surprised they didn’t post the record for the fastest airtime hill. And the second is the zero g roll at 60mph. Remember the element that had to be removed from Maverick because the g-forces were too intense for people. I just find it too much if a coincidence being we’re so close to them.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby super7 on August 30th, 2018, 12:44 pm
It looks like a good ride, but for such a highly attended park the lines are going to be looooooooooooooooooong with those short trains......
super7

Postby Foltzy on August 30th, 2018, 12:44 pm
Okay two things.
1) This looks extremely cool and I can’t wait to ride it
2) I’m already scared at how long the waits will be. A new roller coaster right next to the front entrance. Uh oh
Foltzy

Postby Necropolis on August 30th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Their official newsletter just got sent a few minutes ago....
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/newfor2019

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :lol: :D
Necropolis

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Mean Streaker wrote:I waited for an hour to ride Demon earlier this season.

The Dark Knight will probably be the next to go. I haven't seen a line longer than 10 since 2010.

I've waited 30 minutes and even 45 minutes for Dark Knight a couple of times this year! I don't understand why everyone wants to ditch this ride so badly. It fills multiple niches: family ride, dark ride, indoor ride. Plus it's super reliable. When's the last time anyone was in line and it went down?? (compare that to Goliath :) )

I can see the points about Demon but it's a great entry level looper for kids.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Jodon on August 30th, 2018, 1:01 pm
A couple thoughts. I like that the park is getting a full circuit launch coaster. To me the launch should be pretty spectacular and a couple of the elements look solid as well. While Maxx Force isn't the best name, I'm actually pleased that SF stepped away from the DC universe to name the ride. However, this is a very "six flags" addition. People have already commented on the length and lack of using most of the Pictorium space. Also, people have mentioned the lack of capacity. I have a feeling that this will have worse capacity than The Joker. I also feel like this is a missed opportunity for SFGAm on several fronts. This would have been a great time to change the entrance to HH or move HTFM to a better location. This still might happen, but everything I've seen says that everything is staying put.

I do think that the ride will be good, but I also feel like this is SF filling the need the cheapest and easiest way they could. FWIW, I think I'd rather have West Coast Racers instead of this. To me, WCR seems like the more complete ride.
Jodon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 1:15 pm
batmanfan80 wrote:So we've got two cobra roll type things with a zero g in the middle. Not bad, not bad. I'm guessing the ride will be as short or shorter than Goliath post-lift hill though. I wouldn't have minded them taking out something else along with Pictorum if it meant we got a 7 inversion monster that was as good or better than Kumba and Kraken. Let's just hope this doesn't bring the hordes like Goliath did. I like the line of thinking where they remove Pretzelman and Dark Knight for something cutting edge.

Superman isn't going anywhere. It's one of the most popular coasters in the park (like it or hate it). Dark Knight isn't going anywhere either. It fills several niches and still has lines on busy days.

I think it's more likely both flumes come out......

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on August 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm
In the email from the park it says “Maxx Force will open in summer 2019 in Carousel Plaza.” Interesting since I’m not sure how it’s goinf to be in carousel plaza since you pass through into hometown square before even reaching carousel gifts.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby staticshadows on August 30th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Iron Wolf 90-11 wrote:In the email from the park it says “Maxx Force will open in summer 2019 in Carousel Plaza.” Interesting since I’m not sure how it’s goinf to be in carousel plaza since you pass through into hometown square before even reaching carousel gifts.

Hometown Square starts after you pass under the train bridge.
Look at the park map:
https://static.sixflags.com/website/files/sfgam_park-map.pdf
staticshadows

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 1:55 pm
This ride looks to be a great addition! I like the name and hopefully it has great theming (like Batman and Dark Knight and X-Flight).

My concerns are with the launch. I know it's a different type than V2 but is it going to have similar issues inherent with a launch?

I guess it gets to 78 mph faster than Kingda Ka or Formula Rossa??

I do think the inversions are going to be amazing though! Doing the "double inversion" so high in the air will definitely make it seem weightless. Stupid question: will there be a height limit since this thing is going under the train?

Has anyone heard updates on the very similar ride going up in China's Sun Tzu Cultural Park? Hopefully they get the bugs worked out (if any ) on that one and learn from it when they build ours.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterkidd100 on August 30th, 2018, 1:59 pm
I really wish Six Flags would have posted a full POV with this coaster when they announced it. I know we can use the video to pretty much put the layout together but seeing a full POV would be pretty nice.
coasterkidd100

Postby staticshadows on August 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:This ride looks to be a great addition! My concerns are with the launch. I know it's a different type than V2 but is it going to have similar issues inherent with a launch?

Also I wish they wouldn't brag about "fastest launch coaster". I guess it gets to 78 mph faster than Kingda Ka or Formula Rossa?? But that claim is misleading....

OCT Group will have their 5th S&S Air Launch Coaster next year. It seems the bugs have been worked out. If they weren't happy with the rides, they would stop buying them.

There is nothing misleading about fastest launch coaster in North America. We are talking about acceleration and if you understood what that was you would understand why the ride is called Maxx Force.
staticshadows

Postby Jodon on August 30th, 2018, 2:08 pm
My guess is that they are delaying the full POV for a few reasons. One would be too create another opportunity for buzz around the coaster in a month or two. Another reason would be to hide how short the coaster is. Three, maybe S&S isn't done designing the ride and the second half where the ride actually uses the Pictorium plot wasn't ready.

To be clear, 3rd reason is a joke...but it would have been nice to have a longer more full ride experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jodon

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 2:14 pm
This thing in Japan is even faster! That's crazy.......
Do-Dodonpa
Fuji-Q Highland (Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi, Japan)
Compressed Air Launch from 0 mph - 111.9 mph in 1.6s

This ride was built in 2001 by S&S.

staticshadows - Thanks for pointing out that OCT group in China has bought a total of 5 of these rides.

Acceleration = "the rate of change of velocity with respect to time." -- So our new coaster will have faster acceleration but not greater top speed than Top Thrill, Kingda Ka, etc

To be clear I didn't see the word "acceleration" in the posting but the words "Fastest launch" so it was misleading to me.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby ilrider on August 30th, 2018, 2:24 pm
^I feel that 0-78 in under 2 seconds is a plenty forceful launch that the general public will love. While I haven't ridden Do-Dodonpa, I think that's actually too much of a good thing. I don't really feel the need to go over 100 mph in 1.6 seconds. Yowzers. That will scare away some people. Maxx Force's launch will honestly scare me enough, but still be fun.

Of course people are up in arms about it only going 78 vs. over 120, but the force of the launch will actually be stronger. They always word the records in a misleading way, but true enthusiasts should realize they are talking about the acceleration, not the top speed. Same thing happened with Goliath, just because El Toro at Great Adventure technically had a taller lift hill (but a shorter drop than Goliath, hence our record here).
Last edited by ilrider on August 30th, 2018, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilrider

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum