SFGAmWorld.com
Untitled Document
Park Information
New for 2018
Ride Status
Park Information
Latest News
Park Hours
Park Pricing
Park Map
Accomadations
Current Weather
Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Show Guide
Hurricane Harbor
Park Information
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What's with Eagle

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby super7 on July 20th, 2018, 3:49 pm
I have not been to Great American for 3 years because of their operations. Depsite it has my favorite collection of coasters in one place. The last time I was there, they were doing that fiasco double rides promotion, that just jammed up the lines on American Eagle which normally has quick moving lines.
But at least then it was racing.

Now they are refusing to race it again. An employee said because it is "old." Does that mean it is not structurally sound to handle two trains side by side?

Its really disheartening that they don't race a coaster that was designed for that. That was 1/2 the fun of the ride.

On the flip side, the entire station and the lift hill appear to have been painted at some point. Although the red and blue paint are peeling quickly.

Weeds everywhere and lots of dead branches on trees. Sky Trek Tower is now closed in the middle of the day. Battle for Metropolis was down a lot. The new Hangover was closed most the day both days I was there.
super7

 
Posts: 27
Joined: June 25th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
Postby Ilovthevu' on July 20th, 2018, 5:25 pm
Racing a roller coaster takes a lot more time because you are always waiting for the other side to be ready. They are almost never ready at the same time. With racing, you would have to wait much longer in line. The park also doesn't run both trains until 12pm, and they might even shut one side down towards the end of the night. When the employee said the ride is old, that might mean it's not getting the amount of people they want at those times, so they don't want to run both side early on, and later on. They are being cheap.

Justice League is down a lot because the ride just has too many things to go wrong - technologically.

Hangover is probably down a lot because it's a new design of that ride. All the other ones are not built the way that one is, such as at a carnival.
RMC - Ruining My Coasters - Georgia Cyclone / Iron Wolf / Colossus - What coaster will they ruin next for me???
Ilovthevu'

 
Posts: 4251
Images: 34
Joined: June 4th, 2004, 7:54 pm

Postby Airboss on July 20th, 2018, 5:47 pm
I've been told from numerous ride ops and people that the structure has been deemed not strong enough to handle two trains at once. They can operate both sides at once, but they can't dispatch two trains at once. A few weeks back when I was there they were running both sides, but, even when the trains were ready at the same time, they purposely delayed one side in order to make them not race.
Airboss

 
Posts: 4
Joined: July 11th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Postby RBullFan97 on July 20th, 2018, 5:51 pm
I noticed on a recent trip that if you look to the right on the brake run of Eagle Red you can see large piles of wood. Have those always been there?
SFGAm Ride Count 2016: 217
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018 (So Far): 229
RBullFan97

User avatar
 
Posts: 219
Images: 10
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Location: 15 minutes from SFGAm

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 20th, 2018, 6:14 pm
^ Yes, I believe so. It's time for them to retrack it with GCI or just anything to make the experience better.
SFGAM_Hog

 
Posts: 476
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Postby JaminOut on July 20th, 2018, 8:52 pm
The large pile of wood has been there for years. It’s just for ongoing work on the ride and in no way points to any new construction on the ride.
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

User avatar
 
Posts: 627
Joined: August 12th, 2015, 8:58 pm
Location: Germantown, WI

Postby RBullFan97 on July 21st, 2018, 7:04 am
JaminOut wrote:The large pile of wood has been there for years. It’s just for ongoing work on the ride and in no way points to any new construction on the ride.

Okay that's what I thought thanks.
SFGAm Ride Count 2016: 217
SFGAm Ride Count 2017: 76
SFGAm Ride Count 2018 (So Far): 229
RBullFan97

User avatar
 
Posts: 219
Images: 10
Joined: May 5th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Location: 15 minutes from SFGAm

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 21st, 2018, 4:57 pm
All aboard the RMC American Eagle train.
*ducks*
Let's be real, now that American Eagle isn't racing it just adds more fuel to the fire of converting it to an RMC. We all love Eagle but it has seen better days. Right now Cedar Fair is blowing Six Flags out of the water with Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Mystic Timbers, and Carowinds' new coaster in 2019. Six Flags needs a way to compete with Cedar Fair and I believe American Eagle is how they are going to do it. Look at Six Flags' big wooden coaster that could be RMC'd. We have American Eagle, The Boss, and Monster up at LaRonde. Boss and Monster could make very good RMCs but they are at lower ranked SF parks. Now if you RMC Eagle that is a big racing coaster that has a lot of potential that is also at a big corporate park. SFGAm was purposely designed to be built in between Milwaukee and Chicago. SFGAm is a cash cow for SF and SF has realized that. SF has a better chance of investing a lot of money in a big park like SFGAm or SFMM than LaRonde or SFSTL. Cedar Fair put in a huge RMC at their flagship park not a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure or Valleyfair.

People are gonna say, "They're not gonna RMC it, they are repainting it now." Or maybe they are doing it now so they don't have to do it later. You could probably expect RMC Eagle around 2022 or 2023 because they are most likely getting a coaster in 2019 so they would probably take some time off to save some money away for the RMC.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

 
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Postby Muck Finnesota on July 21st, 2018, 11:15 pm
Baseless speculation/pipe dream post on my part, but if Eagle is ever Rocky Mountain'd, I hope the turnaround is a significant part of the ride, and not like Twisted Colossus' turnaround. Add some height to the first drop(s), keep the out and back runs similar, and transform the double helix section into an impressive Steel Vengeance-esque mess of track.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

User avatar
 
Posts: 330
Joined: August 9th, 2011, 9:16 am

Postby IssaCoaster on July 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:All aboard the RMC American Eagle train.
*ducks*
Let's be real, now that American Eagle isn't racing it just adds more fuel to the fire of converting it to an RMC. We all love Eagle but it has seen better days. Right now Cedar Fair is blowing Six Flags out of the water with Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Mystic Timbers, and Carowinds' new coaster in 2019. Six Flags needs a way to compete with Cedar Fair and I believe American Eagle is how they are going to do it. Look at Six Flags' big wooden coaster that could be RMC'd. We have American Eagle, The Boss, and Monster up at LaRonde. Boss and Monster could make very good RMCs but they are at lower ranked SF parks. Now if you RMC Eagle that is a big racing coaster that has a lot of potential that is also at a big corporate park. SFGAm was purposely designed to be built in between Milwaukee and Chicago. SFGAm is a cash cow for SF and SF has realized that. SF has a better chance of investing a lot of money in a big park like SFGAm or SFMM than LaRonde or SFSTL. Cedar Fair put in a huge RMC at their flagship park not a smaller park like Michigan's Adventure or Valleyfair.

People are gonna say, "They're not gonna RMC it, they are repainting it now." Or maybe they are doing it now so they don't have to do it later. You could probably expect RMC Eagle around 2022 or 2023 because they are most likely getting a coaster in 2019 so they would probably take some time off to save some money away for the RMC.

I really hope that if they RMC Eagle, they are allowed a large amount of money to do it right. They could make that drop huge too.
IssaCoaster

 
Posts: 137
Joined: June 11th, 2018, 2:46 am

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 22nd, 2018, 1:52 pm
Two RMCs at our park would be amazing and I would love to see RMC Eagle, but would Six Flags really put two of them in one park?
SFGAM_Hog

 
Posts: 476
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 22nd, 2018, 2:08 pm
Remember Goliath is a wooden coaster with topper track. RMC Eagle would be a steel hybrid with I-Box track. Think about it we would have the most RMCs at one park if we got RMC Eagle and a Raptor/ T-Rex in 2019. We would have 1. Goliath, 2. Joker (RMC made it's track so I guess it kinda counts), 3. 2019 Single-Rail, 4. RMC American Eagle. What elements do you guys think could be on it? They could do a lot with Eagle. Some sweet airtime, inversions that interact with the other side, a way steeper drop, taller height. Although SF better not screw up the turnaround they better use that to their advantage.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

 
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Postby SFGAM_Hog on July 22nd, 2018, 5:03 pm
I hope RMC Eagle would focus on airtime and not much so inversions. Goliath is an RMC for the inversions in my opinion. Inversions don't do much for me, and American Eagle already has incredible airtime so I'd love to see it get even better.
SFGAM_Hog

 
Posts: 476
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Postby IssaCoaster on July 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I hope RMC Eagle would focus on airtime and not much so inversions. Goliath is an RMC for the inversions in my opinion. Inversions don't do much for me, and American Eagle already has incredible airtime so I'd love to see it get even better.

Agreed. I would like to see the drop extended significantly higher than what it is. As tall as possible. But to convert over 9,000ft of track..... is that even realistic for six flags?
IssaCoaster

 
Posts: 137
Joined: June 11th, 2018, 2:46 am

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 22nd, 2018, 8:58 pm
^ At this point I'm leaning toward yes.
Over the information of the new Mack coaster coming to MM it's said to be 20 million dollars so it seems like Sit Flags is probally doing something really big for one park every year. Who knows.
_FuryBull_330_

User avatar
 
Posts: 264
Joined: April 12th, 2018, 4:06 pm
Location: Wherever there's roller coasters.

Postby ChicagoCoasters on July 26th, 2018, 11:47 pm
We know Steel Vengeance cost over $20 million and RMC Eagle would almost be twice the track length. So would SF really do it? Hopefully. They would probably add no other coasters or any additions to some of the smaller parks that year.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

 
Posts: 90
Joined: December 7th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 27th, 2018, 12:07 am
They have been "cheap" for awhile (as compared to what they used to build) as a corporation. I don't see them spending $20 million+ on the Eagle. To me, I think they went with RMC because they WERE a cheaper company, and it's cheaper building those rides than building B&Ms, and Intamins. Now, RMC is famous all of a sudden, and they want lots more money.

I think X-Flight was probably the last actual really expensive coaster in the entire corporation.
RMC - Ruining My Coasters - Georgia Cyclone / Iron Wolf / Colossus - What coaster will they ruin next for me???
Ilovthevu'

 
Posts: 4251
Images: 34
Joined: June 4th, 2004, 7:54 pm

Postby IssaCoaster on July 27th, 2018, 8:27 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:They have been "cheap" for awhile (as compared to what they used to build) as a corporation. I don't see them spending $20 million+ on the Eagle. To me, I think they went with RMC because they WERE a cheaper company, and it's cheaper building those rides than building B&Ms, and Intamins. Now, RMC is famous all of a sudden, and they want lots more money.

I think X-Flight was probably the last actual really expensive coaster in the entire corporation.

Yeah. I'm leaning towards no still. Eagle would be a huge project. The cost would be ridiculous. I want to see if what FuryBull says is correct about Magic Mountain before I start having hope. Maybe in the future yes. There is no way Six Flags is going to keep up with the maintenance for the rollercoaster forever. I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.
IssaCoaster

 
Posts: 137
Joined: June 11th, 2018, 2:46 am

Postby AirTimeDaz on July 27th, 2018, 11:44 am
Here's an "interesting" video re: coaster-net discussing Six Flags & Cedar Fair's new financial report.

https://youtu.be/9BHm7ba7PRw

Around 24:24 sounds like SF, aided by their recent strategies, has gained a bit of capital, so who knows, they may be preparing to reinvest some of that in their key parks. There is already speculation of MM getting something large, so I don't think it's beyond the pale to think we may be headed for something huge in the not too distant future. Will I get my hopes up? uh h*** no, but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for the parks future.
AirTimeDaz

User avatar
 
Posts: 175
Joined: August 22nd, 2013, 8:12 pm

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on July 27th, 2018, 2:00 pm
IssaCoaster wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:They have been "cheap" for awhile (as compared to what they used to build) as a corporation. I don't see them spending $20 million+ on the Eagle. To me, I think they went with RMC because they WERE a cheaper company, and it's cheaper building those rides than building B&Ms, and Intamins. Now, RMC is famous all of a sudden, and they want lots more money.

I think X-Flight was probably the last actual really expensive coaster in the entire corporation.

Yeah. I'm leaning towards no still. Eagle would be a huge project. The cost would be ridiculous. I want to see if what FuryBull says is correct about Magic Mountain before I start having hope. Maybe in the future yes. There is no way Six Flags is going to keep up with the maintenance for the rollercoaster forever. I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Hey it's a big rumor I got from screamscape. I hope it's true.
_FuryBull_330_

User avatar
 
Posts: 264
Joined: April 12th, 2018, 4:06 pm
Location: Wherever there's roller coasters.

Postby Sven18 on July 27th, 2018, 2:33 pm
AirTimeDaz wrote:Here's an "interesting" video re: coaster-net discussing Six Flags & Cedar Fair's new financial report.

https://youtu.be/9BHm7ba7PRw

Around 24:24 sounds like SF, aided by their recent strategies, has gained a bit of capital, so who knows, they may be preparing to reinvest some of that in their key parks. There is already speculation of MM getting something large, so I don't think it's beyond the pale to think we may be headed for something huge in the not too distant future. Will I get my hopes up? uh h*** no, but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for the parks future.


SF reiterated again they are still sticking to the 9% of North American revenue formula even with the 5 new parks. Those are more mouths to feed. The 23M for revenue in Q2, 21M which excluding foreign parks translates into 1.1M more in the ride budget based on Q2 numbers alone. SF also stated that while the new parks will help Q2 and Q3 they will hurt Q4 b/c they will be primarily closed. Also, adding frightfest to the new dry parks will have front end costs.

A theoretical 100M increase in revenue would bring just 5.4M to the ride budget. With 5 more mouth to feed SF will still be in the cheap ride market. Expect, Skywarps to be new Larson loop and Raptors the new cloned coaster of choice, taking over from 4D's

FYI, SF missed the street projections by a little over 5%. The numbers aren't as good when you dive into them. SF was flat to down on attendance in 2017 and are in 2018. The 2 new water parks in 2017 and the 5 new parks make the top line look up. SF refused to answer whether attendance and revenue would be down w/o the 5 new parks. That means it was down b/c Anderson would be touting if comps were up. He avoided the question 3 times to not confirm what the analysts could easily discern looking at the numbers.
Sven18

 
Posts: 172
Joined: September 10th, 2017, 10:28 am

Postby JackGlass on July 29th, 2018, 4:13 am
I don't think they will do a full scale RMC conversion due to the astronomical cost. However, I could see them doing a patch job for its 40th anniversary. Making the lift hills taller, Installing topper track on rough areas, getting new trains and possibly a new lighting package.

Years ago they installed topper track on rough sections of the Georgia Cyclone, while leaving the rest of the coaster traiditonal wooden track.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ggmdw4yNnc
JackGlass

User avatar
 
Posts: 182
Joined: July 29th, 2018, 2:37 am

Postby super7 on July 30th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Based on previous Six Flags RMC conversions, a converted Eagle would be shorter than the original. IU believe that all of there conversions were shorter than the original coaster. They took out a complete circuit of Colussus, plus removed the racing aspect so they could save payroll $ at the station.

Goliath at Great America was built hype and not so much quality. It is a short coaster that could have done more, especially considering its height.

Cedar Fair on the other hand is keeping the original layout of the rides. Its a general statement of the quality of Cedar Fair experience vs Six Flags....

They helix of Eagle is one of the best parks in my opinion. Starting slowly, picking up speed until it spits you out with some airtime. It is personally one of my favorite coaster moments. I would hate to see that destroyed.

Eagle is still an amazing ride. Even when it raced, the lines moved quickly because it is 4 train operation. New track such as topper track would make it amazing, keeping the same layout. There are few racing coasters that exist. The racing aspect makes it fun and exciting. Every racing coaster I have been on that races you hear the winning side cheer. Cheering people are happy people and happy customers. It's a shame that Six Flags is missing that opportunity at giving customers a better experience.
super7

 
Posts: 27
Joined: June 25th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Postby batmanfan80 on August 6th, 2018, 9:54 am
For me, it's been running great the last couple years. I only ride red side. The ride I had the other day was near perfect. All the thrills, rush, and airtime with things being almost 100% smooth. No need for me to grip anything in the helix or during the last part of the ride. That doesn't happen much at all. Ride quality varies a lot and may be weather-dependent to a degree. Don't see a need to RMC it.
batmanfan80

 
Posts: 68
Joined: July 19th, 2016, 11:43 pm

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 6th, 2018, 3:59 pm
I like eagle, red side is awesome. I do not see the need to RMC it. However, if the park NEEDED to convert a Woodie to a RMC, I would vote Blue side AE. I think it would be cool to keep one side wooden and the other a RMC, but only if I had to choose one wooden in the park.
Sucker for launches and 4D's

Coaster Count: 152
Dan The Coaster Man

User avatar
 
Posts: 458
Joined: November 23rd, 2014, 11:04 am
Location: Joliet, Illinois

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Privacy Policy About Us Copyright Disclaimer E-Mail SFGAmWorld
COPYRIGHT - SFGAmWorld.com
All content and images on this site are Copyright 2001 - SFGAmWorld.com and may not be used without permission.
This is NOT the official site of Six Flags Great America, SFGAmWorld.com is not affilated or endorsed by Six Flags Great America.
SFGAmWorld.com does not make any guarantee on the accuracy of the information on this website and cannot be held responsible by the use of this information.
SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. ®, TM and © . The official Six Flags site can be found at SixFlags.com
BATMAN, SUPERMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of © DC Comics.
LOONEY TUNES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.©
The Wiggles Pty Ltd. SCOOBY-DOO and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna-Barbera.

cron