Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Former SFGA employee. AMA

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Mustbthistall2ride on June 2nd, 2018, 1:53 am
First of all, hi everyone! First post here and not the last.

Due to privacy reasons, I won't say exactly what my department or position was, but I will do my best to answer any questions/trivia you have about the park - at least, to the best of my knowledge. Ask away! :D
Mustbthistall2ride

Postby Mr.EveryDaySFGA on June 2nd, 2018, 9:52 am
Did you have any knowledge of rides closing or not opening

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mr.EveryDaySFGA

Postby Mustbthistall2ride on June 2nd, 2018, 11:22 pm
So far, the only thing I've heard of was the renovation of Camp Cartoon that the park decided last year on (and that's already happening), but other than that, I'm not sure on. I've always heard that they wanted to expand the water park more, but again, they're just rumors. The removal of Pictorium was being debated on for years, and I'm not surprised that it's going to be replaced by a ride (again, not sure what kind).
Mustbthistall2ride

Postby cliffhanger on June 3rd, 2018, 8:28 pm
A few years ago, it looked like they were going to install TVs on the scenic railway. Any idea what they were going to be used for/why they were removed?
cliffhanger

Postby Mustbthistall2ride on June 4th, 2018, 8:35 pm
cliffhanger wrote:A few years ago, it looked like they were going to install TVs on the scenic railway. Any idea what they were going to be used for/why they were removed?

My guess is that they wanted to expand third-party advertising or promote in-park events/new attractions. I'm assuming the idea got botched because of budget reasons.
Mustbthistall2ride

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 5th, 2018, 10:44 am
When did the final decision come to take out Deja Vu?
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby Mustbthistall2ride on June 5th, 2018, 8:58 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:When did the final decision come to take out Deja Vu?

Since it was before my time working there, I can't say for certain, but usually a ride's fate is determined at least a year in advance. Because of the mechanical issues of Deja Vu, it could have been longer though.
Mustbthistall2ride

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 6th, 2018, 12:28 am
Nevermind.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 6th, 2018, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby hook13 on June 6th, 2018, 1:12 am
How well maintained are the rides? any you feel have safety issues?

what's up with food service, why is it so slow, even when adequately staffed?

what's your favorite thing about the park?

least favorite?
hook13

Postby onyxhotel08 on June 6th, 2018, 9:32 am
Mustbthistall2ride wrote:
onyxhotel08 wrote:When did the final decision come to take out Deja Vu?

Since it was before my time working there, I can't say for certain, but usually a ride's fate is determined at least a year in advance. Because of the mechanical issues of Deja Vu, it could have been longer though.

When was it announced to the public?

How long does it take to close the park? For all employees to leave? How early before shift starts to employees come in?
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby Mustbthistall2ride on June 6th, 2018, 9:09 pm
hook13 wrote:How well maintained are the rides? any you feel have safety issues?

what's up with food service, why is it so slow, even when adequately staffed?

what's your favorite thing about the park?

least favorite?

The rides are actually very well maintained and safe. Having known maintenance ride techs, they know their stuff and look for the tiniest details needed to be fixed. They have the tools and knowledge to keep you safe. The biggest reason why rides may malfunction is the weather. Humidity and temperature and the seasons, especially in this area, takes more of a toll on the rides than let's say, SFMM in southern California. The maintenance dept. has to also keep this in mind while inspecting and fixing the rides (for example, you can't really do much on the big coasters when everything is iced-up). But behind the scenes during the off season, they're hard at work with the coaster trains to make sure they're in top shape for the next season. Techs, welders, painters, electricians- they're there to keep you sleeping safe at night.

Food service has always been the biggest issue of guest satisfaction. I can't say for certain, but I think it's a combonation of employees still in their training period, a communication gap between guests and international exchange employees, or the lack of a nearby lead or supervisor.

Favorite thing about the park? Hmm...there's quite a bit. I would say the Rides Graveyard is always my favorite around FF, since I love looking back at the retired rides (RIP Skywhirl, you were my fav when I was younger). We also tend to hold onto old pieces or bits of retired rides or memorabillia from old shows, which I'm a sucker for because it brings back good memories. The stage of Theatre Royale is still in tact, and the Batman stunt mobile from the 90's is still somewhere in the park (it used to be under TDK). We still have parts of Shockwave (from what I heard), and the "bird cages" of Skywhirl. I guess you can say I have a soft spot for the history of the park.

Least Favorite? I wish we could go back to the Marriott days and take themeing into importance again. I feel that every latest attraction is just placed into an area where land is available, and is way-off of what the area should be (the exception is Southwest Territory, which I feel does a really great job with themeing). But then again, I understand that the park has limited space and can understand why some attractions should be retired. I just wish for even just little details that can be added in this day and age, like more themed music and employee themed costumes, but again, that's just me and what I would love.
Mustbthistall2ride

Postby Viper 88 on June 15th, 2018, 9:48 am
Mustbthistall2ride wrote:
hook13 wrote:
The rides are actually very well maintained and safe. Having known maintenance ride techs, they know their stuff and look for the tiniest details needed to be fixed. They have the tools and knowledge to keep you safe. The biggest reason why rides may malfunction is the weather. Humidity and temperature and the seasons, especially in this area, takes more of a toll on the rides than let's say, SFMM in southern California. The maintenance dept. has to also keep this in mind while inspecting and fixing the rides (for example, you can't really do much on the big coasters when everything is iced-up).

Without knowing it you have actually hit the nail on the head when it comes to my chief problem with Holiday In The Park! The biggest reason rides malfunction is the weather well how well is stuff going to be running during the cold/freezing of November/December? I don't see this as a financially bright idea for our park we get some damn wild weather that can turn on a dime not to mention that P.I.T.A. Lake Effect Snow.

Now for my questions Am I right in assuming that the reason GA is closing so early in the summer is because of HITP? I mean they have to get the hours from somewhere right? And by scaling back here they can put them into play there. Honestly with food lines and ride lines you really are being gypped!

Is there any one reason Fright Fest shows and Haunted House openings are all crammed together and hardly spaced out?
Viper 88

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum