Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 22nd, 2018, 5:55 pm
I rode it today too!! I was walking into it thinking there would be a pretty good sized line, but it was a walk-on. I wasn't expecting that. I don't know if I liked it, or if it was just ok. I've never been on a superloop, and didn't know what to expect. The hangtime is amazing and overall it's pretty fun! I didn't have a big urge wanting to ride it again. I still think it was a good addition to the park!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Ilovthevu' on May 22nd, 2018, 10:47 pm
^I'm not really shocked with the walk-on. People were saying they were trying to buy a shirt Saturday, and they couldn't get it. That's just last Saturday - 3 days ago. I would imagine that the hardcore only roller coaster enthusiasts are the ones that would buy a shirt ahead of riding a ride, but so many of those hardcore enthusiasts don't even consider this a roller coaster. So, this ride might be iffy to them (They really might not care that much to ride it.). So, they have one of the 3 other days ahead of time to ride it (before Saturday), and they will probably wait, so they don't have to waste $20 on a shirt for a ride they barely care about because they don't consider it a coaster.

The whole thing though is kind of weird. You spend $20 (or whatever price) on a shirt in which you don't even know if a particular ride is going to be great or horrible because it's your first time riding it (supposedly). If it's a horrible ride (and you never been on one before), you are stuck with a shirt for a ride you don't like. Isn't their another solution to this? How about buying a shirt that has multiple Great America coasters on it, and it says the year such as 2018 for this year, and than you get to ride the brand new ride?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on May 23rd, 2018, 2:19 am
The hang time on that thing looks insane! I'm glad they listened to the fans and went with the "Hangover" name, instead of Hurricane Force 5.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 23rd, 2018, 7:24 am
Three words: BEST SUPERLOOP EVER! It's still mediocre on the edges but the hangtime is insane. I love how slow it goes at first and the you're hanging upside down for 15 seconds (yes I did count it). As it gains up speed I can just see the faces on my friends (if they haven't passed out already). Personally this was a great addition to the park and will look forward to riding it in the future with some of my other friends.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby benneluke on May 23rd, 2018, 8:48 am
Ilovthevu' wrote: The whole thing though is kind of weird...How about buying a shirt that has multiple Great America coasters on it, and it says the year such as 2018 for this year, and than you get to ride the brand new ride?

You aren't thinking about this the same way GAm is. Their goal is promotion and sales, not letting fans experience the ride first (I'm not being cynical, this is literally the goal when opening a new attraction). The t-shirt promo is not another way of buying a ticket to a preview, its GAm's way of getting you to pay them to advertise the new ride. You buy a shirt (advertisement) and they throw in a special preview so word of mouth gets out about the new ride. You feel special, and they get your money and your voice. Now is this weighed more towards GAm? Maybe, but either way they aren't going to sell you a generic shirt for ERC on a new ride. The whole t-shirt preview is a clever idea. I wonder if SFGam is the only park to do this.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby Goku1910 on May 23rd, 2018, 7:30 pm
benneluke wrote:A milwaukee news station has footage of the new ride here:
https://www.tmj4.com/entertainment/rock ... at-america
Looks like it starts off slow and builds up some pretty good speed!
Watching the parks' PR representatives fake laughing was cringe worthy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 24th, 2018, 7:57 am
^ The park probably payed them to do that, but if it was not a fake laugh then we found ourselves the superloop lovers :lol: .

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Wisco Woody on May 25th, 2018, 3:19 pm
CNN, in a break from fake news, is very publicly taking Six Flags to task over calling Hangover a roller coaster.
Wisco Woody

Postby Goku1910 on May 25th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:CNN, in a break from fake news, is very publicly taking Six Flags to task over calling Hangover a roller coaster.
Okay Trump

"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 25th, 2018, 5:44 pm
I honestly don't see a problem in them calling it a coaster. It doesn't effect anything at all. If you don't ride it just because Six Flags calls them coasters (which is not a good excuse lol) you're missing out on great hangtime!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 25th, 2018, 6:13 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:CNN, in a break from fake news, is very publicly taking Six Flags to task over calling Hangover a roller coaster.

CNN your job to be the world's greatest news GP never amazed me. It's not a roller coaster it's a flat ride. Even Univision didn't call it a roller coaster and they say some of the dumbest things :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Tardis1972 on May 25th, 2018, 8:07 pm
I just got back from spending a couple hours at the park and was able to get two rides on MGH. I enjoyed it a lot and white it's not my favorite coaster in the parks it's definitely in my top five.
Tardis1972

Postby cliffhanger on May 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm
So MGH was...okay. It looks much more exciting than it feels. I'm not a fan of hanging upside-down so the fast spins at the end were my favorite part. The ride is smooth and a lot of smaller kids loved it. I'm really don't like the face off seating. I was paranoid the person in front of me was going to drool or something. Overall, I like it better than King Chaos and it really stands out from everything with the lighting!
cliffhanger

Postby RollingCoasting on May 26th, 2018, 4:59 pm
Rode Hangover today. I loved it. Sure, it may be a "Carnival ride", but it's so much fun. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the ride. Looking forward to riding again when the line waters down a bit (Waited 50 minutes earlier)

FYI: Not sure if this has been posted yet but the ride has a permanent looking sign at the entrance now
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 26th, 2018, 6:29 pm
^any picture of the sign?
Last edited by SFGAM_Hog on May 26th, 2018, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on May 26th, 2018, 6:36 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:^any picture of the sign?

Edit: Nevermind, I found this picture from JiggidyNDG. It looks really nice! https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=8 ... &source=49

Credit to JiggidyNDG
Attachments
33745351_870118939858631_8073244262445088768_n.jpg
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 26th, 2018, 6:43 pm
I really love the look of it! Those poles on each side remind me of King Chaos for some reason.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on May 26th, 2018, 6:52 pm
Agreed! It looks great! I'm so glad they went with the Mardi Gras theme!
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 27th, 2018, 10:28 am
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:Agreed! It looks great! I'm so glad they went with the Mardi Gras theme!

Love it. It really brings Mardi Gras back to life.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 29th, 2018, 2:07 pm
Ok so I had a chance to ride this yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised! Yea I’ve been on them before but normal height so you really usually can’t see anything. Seeing the skyline and the curvature of the earth upside down was so freaking cool. When you change direction you also get some really good speed. All in all I’d say it’s a great addition to the park. Plus at night the lighting looks amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby Goku1910 on May 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm
You can't even see the curvature of the earth from the top of STT and yet you can on MGHO while upside down?

Mhm, ok.

Goku1910

Postby B&MGuy35 on May 29th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Goku1910 wrote:You can't even see the curvature of the earth from the top of STT and yet you can on MGHO while upside down?

Mhm, ok.

Maybe it’s a optical illusion then form being upside down then but it looked curved to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAM_Hog on May 29th, 2018, 5:27 pm
^ I get what you're saying! Its really cool!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RBullFan97 on May 30th, 2018, 6:40 pm
I finally got to ride this today and I thought it was pretty intense and fun. It feels slow but that's just due to the sheer size of the loop, but the ride does pack a punch. I sat on the end so I didn't get the full effect of the hangtime at the top, but it was still a cool experience. I understand why they chose the name. I'll definitely ride it more assuming the line is reasonable.
SFGAm Ride Count 2018: 286
SFGAm Ride Count 2019: 252
SFGAm Ride Count 2020: Well, ya know...
RBullFan97

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on June 1st, 2018, 7:21 am
Something I noticed while riding it on Tuesday. While hanging upside down it looked like the color of the lights changed, but when I got off it was completely different. Just noting that for me.

_FuryBull_330_

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum