Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby staticshadows on April 30th, 2018, 10:13 am
Sven18 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Probably people who are from other parks and don't want this park to be better than their parks. I'm looking at you Cedar Point fanboys :lol: .

Cedar Point runs laps around GAm. The gap was huge and got bigger with the addition of Steel Vengeance. GAm nor any SF park can compete with CP. The investment strategies of each chain are divergent. No SF park is getting a 20 to 30M coaster nor a hotel/resort, which CF is spreading around the chain.

I mostly agree with you on that, but hotels have been mentioned as a future possibility for Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor Oaxtepec.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/e ... 591662001/
With Magic Mountain's bid for destination park status, might a hotel be in its future? As part of its long-range plans, Weber says the park is looking at a number of options. There is available land on-site to build a hotel and other resort amenities. The company might also try to develop Six Flags-branded accommodations at a nearby off-site location with a third-party hotel partner.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/six-flag ... -now-open/
The redevelopment of Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Oaxtepc, Mexico, included a new layout connecting preexisting portions of the park to the newly constructed side, an updated filtration system throughout the park with on-site treatment facilities, and new electrical systems. Future expansion plans call for adding more rides and an on-site hotel.
staticshadows

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 12:23 pm
Sven18 wrote:
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Probably people who are from other parks and don't want this park to be better than their parks. I'm looking at you Cedar Point fanboys :lol: .

Cedar Point runs laps around GAm. The gap was huge and got bigger with the addition of Steel Vengeance. GAm nor any SF park can compete with CP. The investment strategies of each chain are divergent. No SF park is getting a 20 to 30M coaster nor a hotel/resort, which CF is spreading around the chain.

Does Cedar Point have a quality wooden coaster....um no. The only woodie they have is Blue Streak which doesn't even compare to American Eagle, Viper, or Goliath. Does CF have good woodies around the chain, yes but we were mostly the chain to get a bunch of firsts which then makes Cedar Fair's a little more not unique. But then again I shouldn't say anything because we have a bunch of clones in the chain.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Jodon on April 30th, 2018, 12:57 pm
You are correct, SF does prioritize being the first to most things in the US, however, that hasn't shown to be a great thing. Do you think that people care that X-Flight was the first B&M wing coaster in the US? Take WW:GLC at SFFT. They are opening up a Raptor clone the same season as CAGAm. Do you think the public really cares which one opens up first? The target audience for each park is excited for their coaster to open. I can't imagine a fan of CAGAm queuing for Railblazer and think..."Man, I wish Railblazer would have opened up 4 weeks earlier to be the 'World's first single rail coaster'"...I just don't see it from the public's point of view.

I get that parks are always looking for unique marketing angles for their rides. I think that SFGAm still advertises Raging Bull as the Worlds First Hyper Twister Coaster in current tv spots, which is odd to me, but whatever.

Lastly, Cedar Point has been installing differentiating rides over the past decade. A wooden coaster is not a differenctiating ride. I like wooden coasters, but look at their last 3 additions:
Gatekeeper, tallest/fastest/longest wing coaster (1 of 4 US B&M Wing coasters)
Valravn, tallest/fastest/longest dive coaster (1 of 3 US B&M Dive Coasters)
Steel Vengeance, tallest/fastest/longest/steepest/most-inverting RMC Hybrid (1 of 9 US RMC hybrids)

All of their most recent additions have been top-end, fairly-unique ride types. I think that CP will eventually get another quality wooden coaster, but they likely don't see the need to add one because they have the money to buy large scale unique rides at the moment and want to build up their unique experiences.
Jodon

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 1:41 pm
Jodon wrote:You are correct, SF does prioritize being the first to most things in the US, however, that hasn't shown to be a great thing. Do you think that people care that X-Flight was the first B&M wing coaster in the US? Take WW:GLC at SFFT. They are opening up a Raptor clone the same season as CAGAm. Do you think the public really cares which one opens up first? The target audience for each park is excited for their coaster to open. I can't imagine a fan of CAGAm queuing for Railblazer and think..."Man, I wish Railblazer would have opened up 4 weeks earlier to be the 'World's first single rail coaster'"...I just don't see it from the public's point of view.

I get that parks are always looking for unique marketing angles for their rides. I think that SFGAm still advertises Raging Bull as the Worlds First Hyper Twister Coaster in current tv spots, which is odd to me, but whatever.

Lastly, Cedar Point has been installing differentiating rides over the past decade. A wooden coaster is not a differenctiating ride. I like wooden coasters, but look at their last 3 additions:
Steel Vengeance, tallest/fastest/longest/steepest/most-inverting RMC Hybrid (1 of 9 US RMC hybrids)

All of their most recent additions have been top-end, fairly-unique ride types. I think that CP will eventually get another quality wooden coaster, but they likely don't see the need to add one because they have the money to buy large scale unique rides at the moment and want to build up their unique experiences.

*Sigh* I wished our parks could have gotten off-seasons where we just got a few minor updates. That means every park can actually top notch attractions each year.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Sven18 on April 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm
[quote="staticshadows"]
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/e ... 591662001/
[quote]

I looked up what SF actually owns a few years ago and it's not much just what it listed as SFMM. All that vacant line around the park is owned by Newhall land & farming.

https://portal.assessor.lacounty.gov/ma ... 3516385,16

See parcels Numbers by clicking on them

AIN: 2826-008-028 - though zoned recreations, amusement is Newhall's. I sent a request in to the assessor in 2016 when the topic of expansion was on another board b/c many thought SF owned those small plots.

AIN 2826-008-040 which is the massive swath is also Newhall's
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on April 30th, 2018, 2:28 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Does Cedar Point have a quality wooden coaster....um no. The only woodie they have is Blue Streak which doesn't even compare to American Eagle, Viper, or Goliath. Does CF have good woodies around the chain, yes but we were mostly the chain to get a bunch of firsts which then makes Cedar Fair's a little more not unique. But then again I shouldn't say anything because we have a bunch of clones in the chain.

LOL! You're hanging your hat on 2 mediocre at best wood coasters and Goliath. Goliath which would not even be in CP's top 5, actually even lower, and that's the best ride at SFGAM
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on April 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm
Jodon wrote:You are correct, SF does prioritize being the first to most things in the US, however, that hasn't shown to be a great thing. Do you think that people care that X-Flight was the first B&M wing coaster in the US? Take WW:GLC at SFFT. They are opening up a Raptor clone the same season as CAGAm. Do you think the public really cares which one opens up first? The target audience for each park is excited for their coaster to open. I can't imagine a fan of CAGAm queuing for Railblazer and think..."Man, I wish Railblazer would have opened up 4 weeks earlier to be the 'World's first single rail coaster'"...I just don't see it from the public's point of view.

Agree, However I think CP's next coaster may be a a boardwalk woodie in 2020. Being CP they likely will make it a record breaker. I also could see CP going for 500ft steel or the first RMC Trex. CP is all about records and their Revenue/EBIDTA is great. Tony Clark & McClure are kids in a candy shop.
Sven18

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Sven18 wrote:

Agree, However I think CP's next coaster may be a a boardwalk woodie in 2020. Being CP they likely will make it a record breaker. I also could see CP going for 500ft steel or the first RMC Trex. CP is all about records and their Revenue/EBIDTA is great. Tony Clark & McClure are kids in a candy shop.

Of course it's CP, they have to break every single record :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 30th, 2018, 8:31 pm
Hmmm, I thought this was the "minor updates, rumors and happenings" thread????

Perhaps we need a "Cedar Point vs. the rest of the World" thread??? :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby ChicagoCoasters on April 30th, 2018, 8:49 pm
Has anybody noticed that there have been self-ordering kiosk at some restaurants. I have seen them at Capone's, Strutters, and JB's. You can only use credit cards and you can't use your Dining Plan with on them. Also the Midway Munchies food truck is in Hurricane Harbor in front of the Hurricane Mountain slide complex. You can see it from Raging Bull and Viper.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 9:10 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:Hmmm, I thought this was the "minor updates, rumors and happenings" thread????

Perhaps we need a "Cedar Point vs. the rest of the World" thread??? :)

Oh gosh yeah I do think we need one since I go to CP every 1 or 2 years :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby CoasterDemon on April 30th, 2018, 9:28 pm
I would say we have some better coasters than Cedar Point (I really like my classics...) but as far as operations, cleanliness (and Great America IS the cleanest park in the chain, but still) and hang-out-ability, Cedar Point does in fact run circles around our home park. And I'm not a CP fanboy, just being honest.

Cedar Point (and Cedar Fair parks in general) tend to be very user-friendly and hassle-free, where as Six Flags - including our home park - are always very hassle prone. There are problems at every turn. Horribly (and purposely) designed ride entrances and exits (to take your time, make you hungry and thirsty), etc. etc.

Six Flags seems to be consistent at one thing, and that is riddled with issues and problems.. misinformation all-around, you name it. And our Great America runs circles around the rest of the Six Flags parks. It can be a site to behold.

Just this past Sunday, I was in the lot just after 4pm and I have to always sit in the car and think "is it really worth it?" It almost always is (at Great America anyway), but I really have to be ready to deal with a very un-carefree time.
CoasterDemon

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 30th, 2018, 9:37 pm
^ Can we please get back to Minor Updates,Rumors, and Happenings, please?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterDemon on April 30th, 2018, 9:50 pm
^You sure can. I just dropped in to have a little discussion to whatever was happening :mrgreen:
CoasterDemon

Postby coasterfanatic on May 1st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Here we go....Since the park doesn't want to update there website with there full operating schedule, you must go to your local Jewel to find out.

IMG_3315 (1).jpg

Highlights...Fridays of FF don't start til end of September. Saturdays in September til 11, Saturdays in October til midnight.

Last Call is 12-8. Holiday in the Park is 2-9 Saturdays and 2-8 Sundays!
coasterfanatic

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 2nd, 2018, 12:07 pm
^ Well if you have to go to a Jewel Osco to get the park schedule then we already know Six Flags isn't doing their job :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Cryptkeeper on May 2nd, 2018, 3:49 pm
How about the most important update of all...some (most?) food portions have shrunk!!! :o

The plate for spaghetti in Capone's is different and is smaller this year. The ice cream cups I saw being filled seemed smaller, and even if they aren't smaller, the amount of ice cream the employees I saw put in each cup only filled the cup to the 3/4th's level.

I AM SUING!!!! ha
Cryptkeeper
Latest Intamin Victim
Latest Intamin Victim

Postby MrsTaxi on May 2nd, 2018, 8:38 pm
Cryptkeeper wrote:How about the most important update of all...some (most?) food portions have shrunk!!! :o

The plate for spaghetti in Capone's is different and is smaller this year. The ice cream cups I saw being filled seemed smaller, and even if they aren't smaller, the amount of ice cream the employees I saw put in each cup only filled the cup to the 3/4th's level.

I AM SUING!!!! ha

The plate of spaghetti at Capone's looked the same as last year. :? The refill cups look smaller. :lol:
MrsTaxi

Postby FParker185 on May 3rd, 2018, 12:23 am
plate size has definitely shrunk across the board by about 1/3, it's most noticeable at Capones
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 3rd, 2018, 7:08 am
I can't believe they are shrinking the plate sizes and keeping the price the same. If anything lower the price while they are at it and it will actually be worth the price.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on May 3rd, 2018, 8:55 am
But the portion sizes were so large that most people didn't finish. Makes the park money, saves on food, and means more people will finish. I say it's a win-win all around.

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 3rd, 2018, 12:24 pm
Not for me because... well I eat a lot as well as my family :oops: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby Lizardgi on May 4th, 2018, 9:57 am
Does anybody have insight as to when Whizzer plans to open? It leaves a major hole in the park by not being open. Hopefully they don't use the painting as an excuse to keep it closed until summer.
Lizardgi

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 4th, 2018, 10:30 am
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:But the portion sizes were so large that most people didn't finish. Makes the park money, saves on food, and means more people will finish. I say it's a win-win all around.

Not if it's so over-priced... :roll:

I should not pay the same amount for a smaller portion I did for a larger one...
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 4th, 2018, 12:25 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:But the portion sizes were so large that most people didn't finish. Makes the park money, saves on food, and means more people will finish. I say it's a win-win all around.

Not if it's so over-priced... :roll:

I should not pay the same amount for a smaller portion I did for a larger one...

Like I said lower the price it would save us a bunch(or a little).

_FuryBull_330_

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum