Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Goku1910 on April 16th, 2018, 7:00 pm
Even when they do trigger Bull still has airtime, I wouldn't call it complete weightlessness but it's still more impactful that Millennium Force-less. (Millennium Farce) :lol:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 16th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:The trim(or any trim, for that matter) is not as simple as a light switch. The trim is there for a reason, and it's an important one. The ride was designed so that the train takes the course at a certain speed. However, things like train weight, temperature, and wind can affect this speed. That's what the trim is for. If the train is going at or below the designed speed, then the trim simply doesn't activate. Slowing the train down further can lead to a valley(which, as said before, has happened). If the ride senses that the train is going too fast, the trims will activate to slow the train down to this speed. If the ride is taken at too high of a speed, then there is the risk of damaging the train and track, which can lead to a bumpier ride. This is why many people say Raging Bull is smoother than things like Diamondback, which were built 10 years apart.

I know the trim takes potential airtime away from the ride, but would you really sacrifice this ride's smoothness for a singular airtime moment that might just end up being 'ok'? I personally wouldn't.

This is why Boulder Dash is one of my favorite woodies. It's rough but the airtime makes up for it and airtime for me is #1 priority for roller coasters #2 is a good layout. Raging Bull has a good layout but with the trims it doesn't go at it's full potential. This is a unique hyper that could go much higher in everyone's list if it didn't have trims to eliminate potential airtime.
Goku1910 wrote:Even when they do trigger Bull still has airtime, I wouldn't call it complete weightlessness but it's still more impactful that Millennium Force-less. (Millennium Farce) :lol:

That is true pretty much every hyper is more forceful then Millennium Force. Even X-Flight is more forceful for me :lol: .
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 20th, 2018, 10:14 am
Goku1910 wrote:Even when they do trigger Bull still has airtime, I wouldn't call it complete weightlessness but it's still more impactful that Millennium Force-less. (Millennium Farce) :lol:

I haven't ridden Millennium yet. Why is it so forceless?? Too many trims?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 20th, 2018, 10:16 am
A thought just occurred to me: since we're having HITP, I wonder if we'll be able to activate 2019 season passes during HITP (instead of having to do during Fright Fest) ?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Goku1910 on April 20th, 2018, 10:41 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

It's fast but not that intense. Depending on your seat you get airtime maybe twice.
Goku1910

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 20th, 2018, 12:08 pm
Back on topic, I hope they do like some kind of thing with sleds. I also hope that there is an ice skating rink somewhere and if it's possible do it in Roaring Rapid's place it would be nice. Last thing try to open as much as they can and there should be a holiday theme in most of the rides.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby got2havefun on April 20th, 2018, 12:25 pm
I wonder if they are going to keep the complete loop of the park open or if they are going to contain it to a few sections of the park.
got2havefun

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm
got2havefun wrote:I wonder if they are going to keep the complete loop of the park open or if they are going to contain it to a few sections of the park.

It depends if there is construction happening in big areas but knowing Six Flags they wouldn't :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 20th, 2018, 1:08 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:Back on topic, I hope they do like some kind of thing with sleds. I also hope that there is an ice skating rink somewhere and if it's possible do it in Roaring Rapid's place it would be nice. Last thing try to open as much as they can and there should be a holiday theme in most of the rides.

I hope they freeze the pool in front of the Colombian Carousel and let people skate on it! That would be the money shot for their commercials, lol
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby cliffhanger on April 20th, 2018, 4:11 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote: I hope they freeze the pool in front of the Colombian Carousel and let people skate on it! That would be the money shot for their commercials, lol

Like I said before, HItP will ONLY work if they go all-out with lights and decorations. Look at what California's Great America looked like
I'd love to see that here in Gurnee. I wonder if HITP is managed by Six Flags Corporate, because that is a lot of work for the park to do itself.
cliffhanger

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 20th, 2018, 6:35 pm
cliffhanger wrote:
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote: I hope they freeze the pool in front of the Colombian Carousel and let people skate on it! That would be the money shot for their commercials, lol

Like I said before, HItP will ONLY work if they go all-out with lights and decorations. Look at what California's Great America looked like
I'd love to see that here in Gurnee. I wonder if HITP is managed by Six Flags Corporate, because that is a lot of work for the park to do itself.

I know they should put lights everywhere in the park. Even on the rides if they can :lol: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 20th, 2018, 11:17 pm
cliffhanger wrote:

Oh wow, that looks amazing!
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby tribar on April 25th, 2018, 10:42 am
CoasterRiderSC wrote:

No trims but everything is so drawn out that you just don't feel anything.
tribar

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on April 25th, 2018, 11:18 pm
Off to college this fall so Fright Fest may be a no go - sure glad HitP is though! Now I can come during break. I am mostly excited about refillable hot chocolate to be honest. Last summer I went on a whale watch in Washington state, and my favorite part was just getting refills of hot chocolate haha
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Eagle04 on April 26th, 2018, 2:39 pm
Since the pictorium is no more what would be the next biggest indoor space after Grand Music Hall to host a large group of people during HITP? You would think they would need all the indoor space they can get for the cold weather. I wonder if they should start looking at re-routing the entrance to Dark Knight to get the theater back.
Eagle04

Postby benneluke on April 26th, 2018, 3:14 pm
Eagle04 wrote:I wonder if they should start looking at re-routing the entrance to Dark Knight to get the theater back.

While it is POSSIBLE to re-route the queue, I doubt they will. The only way to do it would be to take out the locker area and left side if the theater "awning". Besides, the whole preshow room would likely have to move to this area as well. I have a feeling they are contractually obligated to keep those elements. Kind of like BTR keeping all the old videos and soundtracks. They still use the stage of storage. One time I saw them moving set pieces in/out of there. It was the paisley backdrops used in the GMH shows.
What a day! What a place! What a smile on your face!
benneluke

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 26th, 2018, 3:56 pm
benneluke wrote:
Eagle04 wrote:I wonder if they should start looking at re-routing the entrance to Dark Knight to get the theater back.

While it is POSSIBLE to re-route the queue, I doubt they will. The only way to do it would be to take out the locker area and left side if the theater "awning". Besides, the whole preshow room would likely have to move to this area as well. I have a feeling they are contractually obligated to keep those elements. Kind of like BTR keeping all the old videos and soundtracks. They still use the stage of storage. One time I saw them moving set pieces in/out of there. It was the paisley backdrops used in the GMH shows.

Where is the Holiday in the Park in this. Back on topic they should have more indoor areas open and there also should be very nice shops selling nice little ornaments or merchandise. If the weather is nice there should be a holiday theme to most of the rides. Like put a nice theme to X-Flight and retheme it to Operation:Save Christmas, and it would have nice holiday touches on it. Also put holiday music on it please.

_FuryBull_330_

Postby ChicagoCoasters on April 30th, 2018, 8:39 pm
I have recently been in contact with the park asking them questions about HITP.

Q: What rides will be closed during HITP?
A: The amount of rides closed depends on the weather. The rides known to be closed as of now are Marci Be as Hangover, Logger's Run, Yankee Flipper, Whizzer, Ricochet, Roaring Rapids, and Scenic Railway.

Q: Will all areas of the park be open for HITP?
A: All sections of the park will be open.

Q: What holiday foods will be available during HITP?
A: There has been no determination on what HITP will offer.

Q: Where will Santa photos be?
A: Santa will be available, but the location has not been determined.

Q: What are the hours on New Year's Eve?
A: The hours for New Year's Eve are 2 pm to 8 pm.

Q: Will there be ice skating on the Columbia Carousel lake for HITP?
I personally hated the answer for this. The answer was... a straight up NO. :evil:

I also asked the park why Bucky Battle wasn't on the list of ride closures and they answered. I don't know why it wasn't on the list. I would assume it would be closed during HITP. So maybe it will be gone by then. :wink:
So there are the answers to all of your questions about HITP.
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 30th, 2018, 8:45 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I have recently been in contact with the park asking them questions about HITP.

A: The amount of rides closed depends on the weather. The rides known to be closed as of now are Marci Be as Hangover, Logger's Run, Yankee Flipper, Whizzer, Ricochet, Roaring Rapids, and Scenic Railway.

I personally hated the answer for this. The answer was... a straight up NO. :evil:

I also asked the park why Bucky Battle wasn't on the list of ride closures and they answered. I don't know why it wasn't on the list. I would assume it would be closed during HITP. So maybe it will be gone by then. :wink:

Wait they aren't adding an ice skating rink? Call the press, call the president, call Jim Reid himself if we have to. When it comes to Christmas I get fired :oops: .

_FuryBull_330_

Postby onyxhotel08 on May 4th, 2018, 10:37 am
I prefer ice skating in Roaring Rapids...more room...hopefully that's why
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby MrsTaxi on May 4th, 2018, 4:20 pm
ChicagoCoasters wrote:I have recently been in contact with the park asking them questions about HITP.

Riccohet? That's kinda random. Yankee Flipper :lol:
MrsTaxi

Postby ChicagoCoasters on May 5th, 2018, 10:23 am
MrsTaxi wrote:

Riccohet? That's kinda random. Yankee Flipper :lol:

That dang autocorrect! :lol:
1.) Steel Vengeance 2.) Maverick 3.) Goliath (SFGAM) 4.) Top Thrill Dragster 5.) Mystic Timbers
Ragin Cajun and Iron Wolf went from Six Flags Great America to Six Flags America. I guess they weren't GREAT anymore.
ChicagoCoasters

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on May 7th, 2018, 7:21 am
onyxhotel08 wrote:I prefer ice skating in Roaring Rapids...more room...hopefully that's why

Hey I said that. But yeah having room in Roaring Rapids will make ours more unique. They can even have a race there :lol:

_FuryBull_330_

Postby coasterfanatic on May 10th, 2018, 12:57 am

How do we know that you aren't making this stuff up??? Is this from a credible park source? Why don't you show us the email? It's obvious flumes and Whizzer will be closed, but I doubt they made decisions about reflection pond already
coasterfanatic

Postby astucks18 on May 10th, 2018, 6:49 am
Ricochet will probably close because it has a hard time running in the cold, the pneumatics all kinda freeze up in extreme cold

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum