Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 19th, 2018, 9:04 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Last Call is back too!

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... l-festival

Not as extensive as last year, but still Last Call! :D

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

True last fall cheer before being covered completely in snow and watching the lights all around during HITP.
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby hoju74 on April 20th, 2018, 8:52 am
Can't wait for Sunday. Weather looks to be great this weekend too :D
hoju74

Postby coasterfanatic on April 20th, 2018, 12:47 pm
We figured Last Call would be back.

It's only two weekends instead of three, but that's probably because of HITP.

Good to see that they extended the hours. Last Call was 12-6 last year. Now 12-8 this year!!

Glad it's back!
coasterfanatic

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 20th, 2018, 1:50 pm
Since they'll have HITP, isn't "Last Call" kind of a misnomer??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby coasterfanatic on April 21st, 2018, 2:05 pm
Not really.

Last Call will be the last time the park is in full operation. We already know that not everything will be open for HITP, so Last Call will the last opportunity to go to Great America to experience all the rides and coasters.

So it technically still fits.
coasterfanatic

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 21st, 2018, 6:10 pm
coasterfanatic wrote:Since the flumes are getting painted, that pretty much confirms there place at Great America for several more years

I really didn't doubt it too much because popularity of water rides in the regular park are Roaring Rapids and the Flumes. The dud is Buccaneer Battle. The ride is only for 5 hours a day for goodness sakes. What I tell people is for the people that want a new coaster, and the flumes are the answer to your big coaster, than where are you going to put another new flume or water ride in the park? BB is just not cutting it. It's a flop. Maybe, they might copy the other Great America though (getting a Raptor) with moving those toddler rides elsewhere (that are in Hometown Park - They really could fit in so many spots in the park.), and putting it in the Battle spot also. Again though, so many enthusiasts always want that big / gigantic coaster, and not necessarily a small Raptor layout.

In my opinion though, they do somewhat copy that other Great America (even though they are different chains). They had a Vekoma Invertigo in that spot, and the Great America over here had a Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang. Great America over there gets a big wooden coaster (GCI I think), and than the Great America over here gets a bigger wooden coaster (RMC). They even have like an Iron Wolf over there.

For Superman, I would think the park thinks what in the world are you enthusiasts talking about? Seriously, sometimes that coaster looks like it does not need to be repainted whatsoever, and sometimes it does. I noticed it's based on the sunlight. I forget right now if it's really sunny, it looks faded, or if it's dark outside, it looks faded. It's one or the other. It might be if it's darker outside (I'm not talking about pitch black), but not nighttime.... So, I think that's your answer as to why they don't paint it yet. I also think that it's so far away from the midway as compared to other coasters so people don't examine it as much.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on April 21st, 2018, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 21st, 2018, 6:21 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
coasterfanatic wrote:Since the flumes are getting painted, that pretty much confirms there place at Great America for several more years

I really didn't doubt it too much because popularity of water rides in the regular park are Roaring Rapids and the Flumes. The dud is Buccaneer Battle. The ride is only for 5 hours a day for goodness sakes. What I tell people is for the people that want a new coaster, and the flumes are the answer to your big coaster, than where are you going to put another new flume or water ride in the park? BB is just not cutting it. It's a flop. Maybe, they might copy the other Great America though (getting a Raptor) with moving those toddler rides elsewhere (that are in Hometown Park - They really could fit in so many spots in the park.), and putting it in the Battle spot also. Again though, so many enthusiasts always want that big / gigantic coaster, and not necessarily a small Raptor layout.

In my opinion though, they do somewhat copy that other Great America (even though they are different chains). They had a Vekoma Invertigo in that spot, and the Great America over here had a Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang. Great America over there gets a big wooden coaster (GCI I think), and than the Great America over here gets a bigger wooden coaster (RMC). They even have like an Iron Wolf over there.

Agreed! Buccaneer Battle needs to go! It's a massive waste of space, and they might as well just copy what California's Great America did with the RMC Raptor! Deja Vu might have had mechanical problems, but replacing it with Buccaneer Battle was stupid! How many times have you heard someone say "I can't wait to go to Great America and ride Buccaneer Battle"? lol
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 21st, 2018, 8:04 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:
Ilovthevu' wrote:

Agreed! Buccaneer Battle needs to go! It's a massive waste of space, and they might as well just copy what California's Great America did with the RMC Raptor! Deja Vu might have had mechanical problems, but replacing it with Buccaneer Battle was stupid! How many times have you heard someone say "I can't wait to go to Great America and ride Buccaneer Battle"? lol

Yeah I know no one likes BB but Six Flags is on their spending spree days. If you want a Raptor or a big coaster like a dive coaster in BB's place put it in the Wish List forum,this is a forum for Minor Updates not huge updates or wishes. I notice that the food operations are really bad in opening day, AE and Viper have new track in some places and that the attendance was medium(for me).

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 21st, 2018, 8:28 pm
Ctrl + v from the other thread...

-Big Lou's is still under development, and is going where Buffet Le Grande was.
-The curb between the parking lot and metal detectors has been replaced with some asphalt and yellow poles(looks really nice!)
-A large chunk of the back lot is being repaved
-Seems like a lot of the coaster stations/queue lines have been powerwashed
-Eagle Blue is being retracked in the big helix(yay!)
-Eagle Red and Viper received very minor bits of retrack(literally 5 foot segments every so often. Doesn't change the ride very much)
-Sprint Experience isn't up yet
-A lot of the test seats have been removed/aren't out yet
-HITP ad with physical props is next to Sky Trek Tower
-There is a LOT of ads encouraging people to get membership. Even moreso at the food locations
-Six Below in Southwest Territory has more than just ice cream- they also have milkshakes(including 'to the max' ones that include an encrusted rim of the cup, an ice cream bar, whipped cream, and a whole lot of other stuff)
-Seems like a lot of the games have been replaced/swapped around
-Hangover is huge. You really can't get a sense of how big it is until you're right next to it.
-Camp Cartoon removed its physical characters. The pics from last week pretty much cover everything.
-Whizzer looks nice with the new paint
-Flumes have new paint, but it's not really noticable
-Firehouse Pizza is now Firehouse Snacks, but it was closed

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Tardis1972 on April 23rd, 2018, 12:19 pm
So Bedrock Boulder Roller hasn't been removed from the park yet? I could of sworn when I was at the Saturday I saw it.
Tardis1972

Postby hook13 on April 23rd, 2018, 12:21 pm
Noticed ads, mainly in bathrooms, for season game pass, said "play all year"...seemed to be something other than that booklet they are selling at games this year (20 for 50 value in games)....the ad also said to check at passholder services, which had a huge line. Anybody have the details on this? The people at midway games had no idea and tried to sell the booklet-
hook13

Postby astucks18 on April 23rd, 2018, 1:13 pm
Tardis1972 wrote:So Bedrock Boulder Roller hasn't been removed from the park yet? I could of sworn when I was at the Saturday I saw it.
Yes it is sbno at the moment

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby SFGAmFan12 on April 23rd, 2018, 3:19 pm
astucks18 wrote:
Tardis1972 wrote:So Bedrock Boulder Roller hasn't been removed from the park yet? I could of sworn when I was at the Saturday I saw it.
Yes it is sbno at the moment

I don’t know what Bedrock Boulder Roller is...I only know of RedRock Boulder Roller. /s

The retheming to be generic is crazy especially when the rides are identical to how they were (I am looking at you, Crazy Bus). The amount of time and money put into the petty little changes to not infringe the copyright is downright silly and a waste of money to me. Pay the fee or don’t go that route to begin with. Same goes with Kidzopolis/Wiggles World and Thomas Town at other parks. I enjoy that most Cedar Fair parks have committed and stuck with Snoopy. I wish that our park would expand on Looney Toons again and go full force with them. They are fun, timeless, and don’t make the park look generic and cheap.
SFGAmFan12

Postby Eagle04 on April 23rd, 2018, 5:10 pm

The cars were swapped out.
Eagle04

Postby astucks18 on April 23rd, 2018, 5:19 pm
Honestly, I bet they only spent 50 bucks "retheming" the area. And Boulder roller isn't getting taken out because of liscensing, but instead because it was a unnecessary maintenance nightmare. It went down all the time because the motor is scrap.

astucks18

Postby RollingCoasting on April 23rd, 2018, 6:41 pm
https://twitter.com/SFGreat_America/sta ... 7496374274

Probably nothing exciting, but take it as you will
RollingCoasting

Postby MrsTaxi on April 23rd, 2018, 8:14 pm
Anyone else notice the activity behind Pictorium? Metal barriers and a huge dirt pile. Noticed it from smoking area by Sky Trek
MrsTaxi

Postby RollingCoasting on April 23rd, 2018, 8:37 pm
I heard it's being demolished this week
RollingCoasting

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 23rd, 2018, 11:38 pm
*About the Pictorium area, what I noticed is that while waiting in line for the Hometown Fun Machine, their is a lot of nothing - open space - in back of the Hometown Fun Machine. They must have taken away so many trees in that area. Before, you could barely see stuff through the trees. It probably has to do something with 2019.

*Whirligig has new (I think they are LED) lights. It has red, blue, green, and white. Haven't seen blue lights on this ride for a LONG time - ever since they went to orange, yellow.

*I don't know if I'm dreaming or not, but the Dark Knight seems to have new blue - side wheels - at least one car. I just never knew they made blue wheels for ANY coaster, so that's why I'm confused.

*Triple Play has a new magnetic exit gate. Think Fiddler's Fling.

*Ricochet has new LED lights (I think they are LED) on each car. I don't remember them last year, but maybe they were replaced last year. Most people probably don't care because it's a not a coaster, or nothing new. So, whatever.

*Not that important, but what I noticed is that gone are the metal blue and red gates right before security. They now have these permanent / just silver poles, and they have ropes attached to these poles. I think it's because of some people complaining about them tripping on the gates even though I don't really think it happens that much. You go through the switchbacks like you did before, but they are are different than the metal gates.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 24th, 2018, 7:25 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:*About the Pictorium area, what I noticed is that while waiting in line for the Hometown Fun Machine, their is a lot of nothing - open space - in back of the Hometown Fun Machine. They must have taken away so many trees in that area. Before, you could barely see stuff through the trees. It probably has to do something with 2019.

*Whirligig has new (I think they are LED) lights. It has red, blue, green, and white. Haven't seen blue lights on this ride for a LONG time - ever since they went to orange, yellow.

*I don't know if I'm dreaming or not, but the Dark Knight seems to have new blue - side wheels - at least one car. I just never knew they made blue wheels for ANY coaster, so that's why I'm confused.

*Triple Play has a new magnetic exit gate. Think Fiddler's Fling.

*Ricochet has new LED lights (I think they are LED) on each car. I don't remember them last year, but maybe they were replaced last year. Most people probably don't care because it's a not a coaster, or nothing new. So, whatever.

*Not that important, but what I noticed is that gone are the metal blue and red gates right before security. They now have these permanent / just silver poles, and they have ropes attached to these poles. I think it's because of some people complaining about them tripping on the gates even though I don't really think it happens that much. You go through the switchbacks like you did before, but they are are different than the metal gates.

New lights on rides nice. As of the Pictorium being demolished I think it's time we made our predictions for 2019. I'm going to try to make a new thread and get approved. This may be something BIG or it can be something small. Knowing from the past additions I think we can get a big attraction. If you guys agree quote this comment and say something with the words"I agree".

_FuryBull_330_

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 24th, 2018, 7:51 am
RollingCoasting wrote:https://twitter.com/SFGreat_America/status/988537587496374274

Probably nothing exciting, but take it as you will

I have no clue what that could mean. Like you said, probably nothing exciting.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on April 24th, 2018, 12:00 pm
The Pictorium was a huge hit in its day. But now? Not so much! I would love to see a B&M Dive Machine or an RMC T-REX take it's place. That's prime real estate!
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby coasterfanatic on April 24th, 2018, 12:34 pm
If the Pictorium does come down, I wouldnt be convinced on something HUGE going in.

Great America hasn't spent "BIG MONEY" on a roller coaster in a long time. X Flight was the last B&M put in at any Six Flags parks.

Most of their coaster invests have been RMC redos or this new single rail RMC, both of which are petty inexpensive compared to B&M.

Don't get me wrong, i think are park could benefit greatly from getting something like a Maverick (CP) or Cheetah Run (Busch Gardens) but I just don't see them spending that much money on it.

I would also love to have something like Full Throttle at MM.
coasterfanatic

Postby Sven18 on April 24th, 2018, 3:02 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:The Pictorium was a huge hit in its day. But now? Not so much! I would love to see a B&M Dive Machine or an RMC T-REX take it's place. That's prime real estate!

SF cannot(cap exp formula) and will not spend for a major coaster. SF has no need b/c people continue to buy passes with cheap investments. Also, the coaster makers since 2010(post 2008 crash) are putting out a lot more lower cost quality coasters, unfortunately SF has been buying 7 Free flys and 9 super loops instead of purchasing them.

On the pictorium area, I project that area will be taken for a water park expansion. GAm are going to expand the Wp soon and the choices are really the pictorium area or cut off part of the parking lot. I could see a water coaster, the park is due and SF talked them up as being something they could put at many parks, yet added none in 2018. Prefer them to take parking lot area and use the Pictorium area for something else. The new Vekoma Bermuda Blitz model is a thought. I wouldn't be surprised if they put in a Raptor either, they don't care about capacity. Other thoughts are flat package of Zamperla Endeavor(since the enterprise was removed) and a Giant Discovery(SF has no problem giving parks 2 pendulum rides and the current one is poor). Then there is always one of 3 Skywarp variants which cost 2M and SF can call them coasters, like they do superloops.
Last edited by Sven18 on April 24th, 2018, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven18

Postby coasterfanatic on April 24th, 2018, 4:04 pm
I don't believe the park will spend money to invest in a water park expansion. The water park is already pretty big, is only open from May-September, and with the Great Wolf Lodge opening on the other side of the ride, it might not make much sense.

Let's see if the Pictorium gets demolished first...
coasterfanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum