Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Holiday In The Park Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby DejaVu2001 on April 11th, 2018, 3:55 am
Six Flags Great America has announced that Holiday In The Park will be coming for the 2018 season weekends November 23rd - December 23rd and daily December 26th - December 31st.

Six Flags Great America Launches New Holiday in the Park®
Park to Extend into Winter Season for New Tradition

For the first time in the park’s 42-year history, Six Flags Great America, the Thrill Capital of the Midwest, is extending its operating season and inviting guests of all ages to be a part of the festivities at the new Six Flags Holiday in the Park®. This spectacular event — making its Six Flags Great America debut — features more than one million LED lights, beautifully adorned Christmas trees, thrilling rides, enchanting shows, delicious seasonal food and dazzling park décor. Holiday in the Park will premiere on Friday, November 23 and run weekends through Sunday, December 23 and daily December 26 – December 31.

“Six Flags is creating a new season of thrills as the park is transformed into a winter wonderland with a million dazzling lights and all the magical sights, sounds and tastes of the holidays,” said Park President, Hank Salemi. “We are excited to extend our operating calendar and make Gurnee the premier place to spend the holiday season.”

Additional highlights of Holiday in the Park include:

State-of-the-art light shows;
Spectacular nightly tree-lighting ceremony;
Outstanding coasters and attractions;
Magical holiday shows;
Fire pits for roasting marshmallows and making s’mores;
Millions of dazzling lights; and
Photos with Santa and Mrs. Claus.

Holiday In The Park® will be the largest holiday celebration in the region and promises to become a time-honored tradition that can only be experienced at Six Flags Great America.

Holiday in the Park is included with a 2018 Six Flags Great America Season Pass and Membership. Members can now enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise purchases all season long. Members also receive skip-the-line passes, sneak previews, and extended ride times on some of their favorite rides and attractions. For more information about the 2018 season at Six Flags Great America, visit https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/newfor2018.

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... n-the-park

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/2018041 ... -this-year

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/l ... story.html
DejaVu2001

Postby gottastrata33 on April 11th, 2018, 5:07 am
There it is!! Less of an off season guys!!! :D
gottastrata33

Postby MrsTaxi on April 11th, 2018, 5:36 am
Super awesome news!
MrsTaxi

Postby SFGAM_Hog on April 11th, 2018, 8:01 am
Why does the page on their website say Batman is new for 2018?

Overall, I think this is a pretty good addition to the park, but our weather is pretty unpredictable at times, so I'm not sure how many coasters are going to be open.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby n9yty on April 11th, 2018, 8:22 am
It will be nice to see the lights and the shows. Not sure I can even consider this as a ride event. LoL We're about 1.5hrs out, but we will come at least a few times I'm sure, expecting to freeze more than we froze at the Last Call. LoL Depending on expectations, this can work. If people come for the lights, the shows, the music, the ambience, and know it will be cold, it can still be a success. If people come for rides, it may be a total disaster for them. We went to St. Louis the last two years, being about 5.5hrs away, and had mixed results there with temperatures, including the last week last year where no rides ran the whole time we were there, and the park being closed four out of the seven days of the last week. But still, the shows and lights were nice, they just needed HEAT in the buildings, your food was cold before you could get it into your mouth and nowhere was really warm. Still, it was an experience. LoL
n9yty

Postby Eagle04 on April 11th, 2018, 10:40 am
I would agree that going expecting a ton of rides would lead to disappointment. I think if you treat it as a fun Christmas event with a few rides thrown into the mix it should be very enjoyable.

I do think weather will be even less of an issue compared to St Louis. The more north you go, a rain out day becomes "a magical snowfall" and actually fits the theming provided there isn't a foot of snow on the roads to worry about getting to or from Great America. Add the temptation of Christmas shopping at Gurnee Mills for my wife and I think we are sold.
Eagle04

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on April 11th, 2018, 10:55 am
Yes, but with frozen water comes ice that can form on coaster tracks and cause rides to malfunction.

I'm actually really looking forward to this. I went to Santa's Village during their Christmas event and absolutely loved it. I'm super excited to see what they pull off with our park!

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Muck Finnesota on April 11th, 2018, 11:33 am
Most exciting addition to the park since Goliath. I was worried that Last Call's weather issues and turnout would delay a HITP at SFGAm, or even take it off the table entirely. Glad that wasn't the case- those Batman rides in lolwtf degrees temperatures can't come soon enough!
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby coasterfanatic on April 11th, 2018, 3:16 pm
No surprise...I was assuming they were going to wait and do a few more years of Last Call before diving into the HITP thing.

Should be fun. So exciting. I can't wait...hopefully they do it right.

Going to Last Call in the snow last year was fun....HITP will be magical!
coasterfanatic

Postby Coaster Justin on April 11th, 2018, 9:47 pm
Wishes:
Something in the Pictorium
Walkthrough in Hurricane Harbor
Walkthrough in Picnic Grove
Free Refills Hot Cocoa Mug (SFGAm liked this on Twitter)
Holiday Music used on Chubasco
Be Open past Midnight on December 31st
Comedy or Magic Show in Grand Music Hall
Santa VR on Dark Knight
Karaoke in Snowshoe Saloon
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on April 12th, 2018, 1:11 am
I can go back to last year on one of the coldest days of the park, and V2 was one of the few coasters open earlier - Batman (outdoor) was shut down earlier. So, I don't know why in the world they wouldn't say V2 is definitely 1 of the coasters open during this time of year. A bunch of the coasters did open up later in the day, but V2 (as in coasters) can stand the weather the most in the park- because they worry about valleying on the other rides, and they were greasing the lifthill of Batman. It was getting stuck when it did open much later.

If I look at Santa's Village though on a colder day, their Triple Play was messed up (Didn't open in the much colder weather), big coaster was shut down, and the drop ride was shut down. Wacky worm coaster, antique cars (Great America doesn't have), tea cups, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Swinging boat, Balloons, Scrambler, and Tilt-A-Whirl were open.

So, maybe (bigger / non-toddler) rides for a BELOW 40 degree day might be V2, Batman (indoors), Justice League, Hometown Fun Machine, Chubasco, Columbia Carousel, Balloons, River Rocker, Whirligig, (maybe) Fiddler's Fling, and Rue Le Dodge. I know Ricochet has a problem with cold weather. Sky Trek Tower, always seems to be about too much wind (So, yes it might have heat, but they wouldn't run it anyway probably). I don't know about the new ride. Never visited in a carnival below 40 degrees.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby cliffhanger on April 12th, 2018, 9:22 am
Ilovthevu' wrote: So, maybe (bigger / non-toddler) rides for a BELOW 40 degree day might be V2, Batman (indoors), Justice League, Hometown Fun Machine, Chubasco, Columbia Carousel, Balloons, River Rocker, Whirligig, (maybe) Fiddler's Fling, and Rue Le Dodge. I know Ricochet has a problem with cold weather. Sky Trek Tower, always seems to be about too much wind (So, yes it might have heat, but they wouldn't run it anyway probably). I don't know about the new ride. Never visited in a carnival below 40 degrees.

Im thinking HTFM and River rocker are more likely to be closed. Both rely on rubber tires/drives to work. Its probably not the best idea to run them in cold weather.

FYI: Just to save you some typing, "Batman" is always the outdoor ride and the indoor Wild Mouse is called "The Dark Knight Coaster" or TDK.
cliffhanger

Postby Tardis1972 on April 12th, 2018, 10:41 am
It's going to be interesting to see what the full ride lineup will be.
Tardis1972

Postby astucks18 on April 12th, 2018, 10:57 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:I can go back to last year on one of the coldest days of the park, and V2 was one of the few coasters open earlier - Batman (outdoor) was shut down earlier. So, I don't know why in the world they wouldn't say V2 is definitely 1 of the coasters open during this time of year. A bunch of the coasters did open up later in the day, but V2 (as in coasters) can stand the weather the most in the park- because they worry about valleying on the other rides, and they were greasing the lifthill of Batman. It was getting stuck when it did open much later.

If I look at Santa's Village though on a colder day, their Triple Play was messed up (Didn't open in the much colder weather), big coaster was shut down, and the drop ride was shut down. Wacky worm coaster, antique cars (Great America doesn't have), tea cups, Bumper Cars, Merry-Go-Round, Swinging boat, Balloons, Scrambler, and Tilt-A-Whirl were open.

So, maybe (bigger / non-toddler) rides for a BELOW 40 degree day might be V2, Batman (indoors), Justice League, Hometown Fun Machine, Chubasco, Columbia Carousel, Balloons, River Rocker, Whirligig, (maybe) Fiddler's Fling, and Rue Le Dodge. I know Ricochet has a problem with cold weather. Sky Trek Tower, always seems to be about too much wind (So, yes it might have heat, but they wouldn't run it anyway probably). I don't know about the new ride. Never visited in a carnival below 40 degrees.
The problem with v2 is the offseason rehab takes a very very long time

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
astucks18

Postby Eagle04 on April 12th, 2018, 11:35 am
I forget who posted it but someone here had a great idea of a train ride to the north pole by using the train to ride to the rear of the park, which would be otherwise closed, and having a Santa meet and greet and other North pole activities back in the Goliath area. I'd love to see that.
Eagle04

Postby _FuryBull_330_ on April 12th, 2018, 5:32 pm
^ That would be great especially for the little ones near Kidzopolis. :)
How come Lightning Rod is never open when I go.

Top 10: 1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance 3. I305 4. Fury 325 5. Maverick 6. Mako 7. Iron Rattler 8. Medusa Steel Coaster 9. Raptor Clones 10. Maxx Force.
_FuryBull_330_

Postby UnclePennybags on April 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm
_FuryBull_330_ wrote:^ That would be great especially for the little ones near Kidzopolis. :)

I agree. That's a really good idea.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterRiderSC on April 13th, 2018, 11:12 am
DejaVu2001 wrote:Six Flags Great America has announced that Holiday In The Park will be coming for the 2018 season weekends November 23rd - December 23rd and daily December 26th - December 31st.

For the first time in the park’s 42-year history, Six Flags Great America, the Thrill Capital of the Midwest, is extending its operating season and inviting guests of all ages to be a part of the festivities at the new Six Flags Holiday in the Park®. This spectacular event — making its Six Flags Great America debut — features more than one million LED lights, beautifully adorned Christmas trees, thrilling rides, enchanting shows, delicious seasonal food and dazzling park décor. Holiday in the Park will premiere on Friday, November 23 and run weekends through Sunday, December 23 and daily December 26 – December 31.

“Six Flags is creating a new season of thrills as the park is transformed into a winter wonderland with a million dazzling lights and all the magical sights, sounds and tastes of the holidays,” said Park President, Hank Salemi. “We are excited to extend our operating calendar and make Gurnee the premier place to spend the holiday season.”

Magical holiday shows;

Holiday In The Park® will be the largest holiday celebration in the region and promises to become a time-honored tradition that can only be experienced at Six Flags Great America.

Holiday in the Park is included with a 2018 Six Flags Great America Season Pass and Membership. Members can now enjoy priority park entry and tremendous discounts of up to 50% on nearly all food and merchandise purchases all season long. Members also receive skip-the-line passes, sneak previews, and extended ride times on some of their favorite rides and attractions. For more information about the 2018 season at Six Flags Great America, visit https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/newfor2018.

Where did you find the information above? I went to all the links you listed and I didn't see anything about "Holiday in the Park is included with a 2018 Six Flags Great America Season Pass and Membership."
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby onyxhotel08 on April 13th, 2018, 2:08 pm
Can someone explain to me how coasters/rides can work in the late November/December Chicago temps? With snow? How cold is too cold? Would snow on tracks cause a problem? If this was possible why not do it till now?
13 Years with SFGAm World!
onyxhotel08

Postby coasterfanatic on April 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
DejaVu2001 wrote:Six Flags Great America has announced that Holiday In The Park will be coming for the 2018 season weekends November 23rd - December 23rd and daily December 26th - December 31st.

Magical holiday shows;

Where did you find the information above? I went to all the links you listed and I didn't see anything about "Holiday in the Park is included with a 2018 Six Flags Great America Season Pass and Membership."

This press release clearly states that 2018 Season Passes and Memberships include Holiday in the Park.

The park also replied to a comments on FB and Twitter saying that a season pass includes HITP.

Plus, a season pass includes HITP at every other park that does HITP so no reason why it wouldn't be included. It's a part of the regular operating season much like Fright Fest!
coasterfanatic

Postby anewman35 on April 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:Can someone explain to me how coasters/rides can work in the late November/December Chicago temps? With snow? How cold is too cold? Would snow on tracks cause a problem? If this was possible why not do it till now?

I think Six Flags is just generally trying to add as many days to as many parks as possible. They used to only do Christmas stuff at the very warmest parks and that's been slowly working it's way North. Other chains and parks have been doing simliar things in the past few years, I think they're just realizing that people will actually attend these things even in cold weather...
anewman35

Postby anewman35 on April 13th, 2018, 3:08 pm
The actual press release link is here: http://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/ne ... il-11-2018

(They've also changed their Facebook profile pic to one that's promoting using your passes for Fright Fest and HitP)
anewman35

Postby cliffhanger on April 13th, 2018, 5:13 pm
onyxhotel08 wrote:Can someone explain to me how coasters/rides can work in the late November/December Chicago temps? With snow? How cold is too cold? Would snow on tracks cause a problem? If this was possible why not do it till now?

Honestly, Im not expecting many rides to be open at all. That's not a bad thing though. I think the real attraction here will be lights, decorations, shows, and food. If they do it right with LOTS of good decor/shows, most people wont be upset by the lack of rides. There isnt really a good Christmas celebration around Gurnee, so they could do something really cool and make it a new Christmas attraction.
cliffhanger

Postby cliffhanger on April 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:Wishes:
Something in the Pictorium
Walkthrough in Hurricane Harbor
Walkthrough in Picnic Grove
Free Refills Hot Cocoa Mug (SFGAm liked this on Twitter)
Holiday Music used on Chubasco
Be Open past Midnight on December 31st
Comedy or Magic Show in Grand Music Hall
Santa VR on Dark Knight
Karaoke in Snowshoe Saloon

Those are great ideas! If they don't do ice skating in the reflection pond like they do in California I will be shocked.
cliffhanger

Postby great america fan on April 13th, 2018, 5:34 pm
FullSizeRender.jpg

Vey early predictions for what part of the park will be open.
great america fan

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum