Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Viper/AE Retracked?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby UnclePennybags on September 14th, 2017, 8:35 pm
I rode Viper in 2015 and American Eagle in 2016. I didn't like either because I thought they were rough. I heard they've both been retracked this year. Has anyone noticed if they are significantly smoother?
UnclePennybags

Postby coasterkidd100 on September 14th, 2017, 8:50 pm
I think that sections of viper were redone but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I don't think they did anything with American Eagle besides painting it but I could be wrong about this.
coasterkidd100

Postby chicagoperson on September 14th, 2017, 11:18 pm
Besides the helix of death at the end, Eagle is perfectly fine.
Only been on Viper twice this year and it did seem more enjoyable, especially the most recent time.
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby UnclePennybags on September 14th, 2017, 11:23 pm
chicagoperson wrote:Besides the helix of death at the end, Eagle is perfectly fine.
Only been on Viper twice this year and it did seem more enjoyable, especially the most recent time.

Yep, the first helix is where my brain stem shook loose. I enjoyed AE up to that point.
Last edited by UnclePennybags on September 15th, 2017, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 15th, 2017, 11:59 am
^ IF you ride near the front, that final helix isn't so bad.....
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby MrsTaxi on September 15th, 2017, 4:53 pm
The final helix on red side was much better this year, in my opinion. The first helix seemed better as well. Not sure what was all retracked. Viper had work done after the first drop. No more "jackhammering". Much more enjoyable. Note: I'm a woodie fan.
MrsTaxi

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 19th, 2017, 9:39 pm
In terms of smoothness, in my opinion, viper is better than I have ever ridden it before, since 2013. AE Red is pretty great this year. Retracking was spot on.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Shockwave88 on October 29th, 2017, 4:57 pm
I definitely noticed that Viper was smooth as silk this year; no rattling and teeth chattering. I'm not sure if was ever as smooth as it is now.
Eagle on the other hand.....the shaking in the helix is one of my favorite parts of the ride. The only part that seems to be getting worse is the final turn into the station. By then, the ride is over and it's no fun being shaken up.
Shockwave88

Postby CoasterDave316 on October 31st, 2017, 7:27 pm
I've noticed Viper still has one big rough spot going into the first hill after the turn. Especially noticed it backwards, hopefully that gets fixed this off-season.

Eagle Red has been running as best as I can ever remember it running, every ride I have had on it this year has been very smooth and trims have been light so lots of airtime. Not sure about Eagle Blue as I rarely ride that side.
Go Bulls!
Dave - SFGAmWorld Webmaster
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby American Eagle 1981 on November 1st, 2017, 6:07 pm
CoasterDave316 wrote:I've noticed Viper still has one big rough spot going into the first hill after the turn. Especially noticed it backwards, hopefully that gets fixed this off-season.

Eagle Red has been running as best as I can ever remember it running, every ride I have had on it this year has been very smooth and trims have been light so lots of airtime. Not sure about Eagle Blue as I rarely ride that side.

Eagle Blue has been pretty smooth this year as well. However it is noticeably rougher than Red during the massive helix.
American Eagle 1981

Postby CoasterCale on November 10th, 2017, 3:03 pm
To me Viper has always been the smoother wooden coaster, but it does not run well backwards. The roughness outweighs the thrill of going backwards. Eagle wasn't bad from the few rides I got in on it this season.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum