Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

information on the Little Dipper

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Hugehungry on October 3rd, 2017, 6:20 pm
Hello!
I'm currently looking for information on the little dipper.
If anyone knows anything that would be great!
Hugehungry

Postby RaceBoarder on October 4th, 2017, 12:04 am
It's a wooden roller coaster?
RaceBoarder

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on October 4th, 2017, 7:05 am
I don't really know what you want, but RCDB has some stuff for you...
https://rcdb.com/8985.htm
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on October 4th, 2017, 9:03 am
If you go to the park, the Little Dipper queue line has some really informative boards about its history.

If you want any specific info, feel free to ask!

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Hugehungry on October 4th, 2017, 3:07 pm
I'm mostly looking for any interesting information/fun facts
i'm also not able to go to the park till probably next year
Hugehungry

Postby SFGAM_Hog on October 4th, 2017, 6:09 pm
Is this for a school project? Lol. Im pretty sure there could be history on it on Six Flag' s website.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Hugehungry on October 4th, 2017, 8:12 pm
Nah XD
I'm just sort of bored and can't find anything XD
Hugehungry

Postby CoasterCale on October 5th, 2017, 1:40 pm
Well it opened as Kiddieland and was "moved" here in 2010. I put that in quotes because the only original things from the ride is like the sign and the megaphone. I assume everything else is reconstructed. The current queue line gives good views of the first bits of Batman.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby Shockwave88 on October 29th, 2017, 4:53 pm
My first post! Although when I went to register, my email address was already registered so perhaps I did post on here years ago : )

I worked at Kiddieland Amusement Park about 20 years ago. The biggest thing that changed with the move to Great America is the automatic braking system. At Kiddieland, the attendant would have to push a giant lever (about 4 feet high) that jutted out of the platform. Often (about once a week I'd say), the lever wouldn't "catch" the train and the train would just go around and around and around.....and around! Until someone on maintenance could finally managed to catch it with the lever. Incidentally, the first time I rode Little Dipper at Great America, the brakes malfunctioned and it went around about 4 times. Brought back some great memories.
If you look at the construction photos on Great America's facebook page, you can see that some of the supports already had white paint on them and some didn't. I would estimate that about 50-60% of the coaster is original to Kiddieland?
It was originally installed in 1950 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company.
It was very sad for me to see Ron Rynes (one of Kiddeland's owners) at the opening ceremony at Great America.
About once a month during the summer, Kiddieland's owners would hold an after-hours party for the kids who worked there. We were able to ride any ride that had an attendant around to operate it--and we often didn't follow proper safety procedures. We rode the Little Dipper standing up, sitting backwards, we would jump off of it in the middle, jump back on, run up and down the lift hill, etc. Nowadays that kind of stuff wouldn't be tolerated (and rightly so).
Shockwave88

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 3rd, 2017, 3:19 pm
Shockwave88 wrote:About once a month during the summer, Kiddieland's owners would hold an after-hours party for the kids who worked there. We were able to ride any ride that had an attendant around to operate it--and we often didn't follow proper safety procedures. We rode the Little Dipper standing up, sitting backwards, we would jump off of it in the middle, jump back on, run up and down the lift hill, etc. Nowadays that kind of stuff wouldn't be tolerated (and rightly so).

I think that was awesome that you got many "after hours" rides! I had to laugh about your "alternate riding" of Little Dipper, and I thought I might have done the same as a teenager! Now I definitely know better of course :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum