Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Iron Wolf 90-11 on September 3rd, 2017, 8:38 am
That would not be where the name of the ride would be. It is too low and small on the poster, the name would need a much larger place especially if they had the logo. It would've just been something about the pass deal.
Iron Wolf 90-11

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 3rd, 2017, 9:20 am
Are those the official colors of the ride? I like the green train, but not the actual loop.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby anewman35 on September 3rd, 2017, 10:17 am
gottastrata33 wrote:If you look at the banners in the park, there's a line at the bottom that's been "taped over" with what looks like you guessed it, green tape. Lol is it possible the name was on there or was it a last minute deal they decided to give the chop with the flash sale? I'm curious now.

The only pic I have is this one LOL my boyfriend edited it with me as a Snapchat filter as the girl in yellow so don't mind that Image

Based on a picture of where the green tape is located on the "square" format of that sign, and a picture of last year's, I suspect what's covered up is something like "when 4 or more are purchased", and maybe they'll take the tape off after the flash sale (I know it still says that in the fine print too, maybe they missed that part?)
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on September 3rd, 2017, 2:19 pm
I just didn't know if it said what last years did but with this years name (if I remember correctly) "Ride Joker all year long"

But now that it's not 3am & I'm really thinkin about it, why the hell would it say it there & not smack dab in the middle of the poster. The poster was clearly made post decision to pull the name. I don't think sometimes lol
gottastrata33

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm
I wonder if people from Six Flags are reading this forum right now, and checking out the different names people are coming up with, lol.... Hank if you're listening... go with the Hangover! lol :-) Hell, set up a Mardi Gras themed liquor booth, and have bugs bunny pour some shots! lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on September 3rd, 2017, 7:45 pm
I hope they announce something soon because it felt like last year there was a lot more hype going on.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby LordMagnus101 on September 3rd, 2017, 9:00 pm
Bayou Blast
Storm Front
Circle Jerk
Southern Squall
LordMagnus101

Postby anewman35 on September 3rd, 2017, 11:37 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:I hope they announce something soon because it felt like last year there was a lot more hype going on.

I have a hard time picturing any scenario where a Superloop gets as much hype as The Joker did, even if we had a name. I know some people have some issues with the Joker, but from a GP perspective it just looks neat and new and exciting. The Superloop is (as some are so quick to point out) basically a carnival ride. I'm not saying that as a bad thing, carnival rides are typically rides people like (that's why they're in carnivals). It's just not an especially unique and new thing, it's more of just another ride for the collection...
anewman35

Postby Coaster Justin on September 5th, 2017, 5:36 am
LordMagnus101 wrote:Circle Jerk

That'd be a hilarious name. So either that, Hot Chicken, or The Hangover Coaster
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on September 6th, 2017, 12:51 am
Kings Cake - It is eaten during Mardi Gras, and has to do with the 3 kings (3 Wisemen), and they put a baby Jesus in the middle of the cake. If you get the baby Jesus, you are said to get good luck.

Why Kings Cake? This cake is circular like this ride.

Video of a person making Kings Cake:
https://youtu.be/ohS2C__0Gg0?t=10m40s

I never knew this about Mardi Gras colors, but they mean this:
"Purple signifies justice, gold means power, and green stands for faith."

If you look more into Mardi Gras, the celebration starts right after when the wisemen came to see baby Jesus (This is celebrated on Jan 6th every year), and than goes to the first day before the Lent season. If you don't know what Lent means, that means you might give up something to eat or drink for around 40 days until Easter.

So, the celebration of Mardi Gras is supposed to be to eat good before you have to give up something for Lent.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on September 6th, 2017, 7:56 am
^^^^^ Any name but Voodoo. I think that would offend many people, including those from Haiti and New Orleans.

I like
Louisiana Loop
Tidal Wave
Southern Squall

or how about just plain
Super Loop ?
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby B&MGuy35 on September 6th, 2017, 8:46 am
Pretty sure with the impending storm coming to Florida if they had planned to wait out before revealing the name Hurricane Force 5, Irma may just cancel the name all together now. So bottom line is they need to select a different name and just be done with it. The GP will react better to the ride possibly if it had a name to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 6th, 2017, 1:29 pm
I agree, just ditch the Hurricane name, and go for something else! When Great Adventure first introduced their Super Loop it was called "Looping Dragon".... the name was later changed to "El Diablo" Which fit much better with the Plaza del Carnaval area of the park, and meshed in nicely with El Toro. The name "Looping Dragon" however, would fit in perfect at Six Flags Magic Mountain, in Samurai Summit, if they decided to build a super loop! Bourbon Street Fireball, The Louisiana Looper, The Hang Over, etc. Fit much better with the Mardi Gras area, and sound alot cooler too, lol
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby gottastrata33 on September 6th, 2017, 1:54 pm
Yeah ditch the name altogether. Create a fitting Mardi Gras theme/name. It'll take them some time to work the new logo/name & graphics onto park maps & promos etc but I how we see a name soon.
gottastrata33

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on September 6th, 2017, 10:46 pm
I am not even a fan of Hurricane Force 5 beyond the current happenings in Texas and Florida. I wouldn't mind Bourbon Street Fireball if they wanted to match the theming.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 9th, 2017, 1:35 pm
This page detailing the 1999 "War on lines" At Six Flags Great Adventure shows the RADICAL difference between management under Kieran Burke and management under Jim Reid Anderson....... 27 new rides in one season.... $42 Million for ONE park in a single year....... From a thrill seeker standpoint, This was awesome, no doubt about it...... But from a financial standpoint, this wild financial irresponsibility is what ultimately led Six Flags to file for bankruptcy! Under current management, a number like $42 Million would be the total amount spent on capital projects for all the parks combined, not just one park! As bummed out as I might be about a Larson looper being our only attraction next year, I completely understand the reasoning behind it. We could get a Larson Looper, A Sky Screamer, A Roller Coaster, A new kids area, A Giant Frisbee, etc all in one year, but that would cost far too much money, and it would be much better to spread these additions out over years to keep a buzz going every season instead of packing it all into a single year. http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/WarOnLines.htm
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby RobSFGAm on September 9th, 2017, 9:27 pm
In response to SFGAMNUT9302

I still wonder how long they can continue to offer passes for $70 for an entire season. It seems like in order to keep the parks up (maintenence) as well as add new attractions, the park is going to have to consider raising prices soon. Wages keep going up, insurance costs, more needs to be repaired as the park gets older.
Look at Disney and Universal (I know on a different scale), but they have a yearly increase to keep things $ managable (and yes profit). I am not saying anything crazy, but since they have not raised prices in while would $5 more for daily and season passes stop anyone from going/getting a pass?
Let assume that of the 2.5-3 million people who visit per year, that 1 million are daily gate prices. That would be a net of $5 million from daily alone which could add a second ride (non-coaster install year). Not sure how many season passes they sell per year.
Plus they would have more money to maybe add an additional attendent to a few rides where one attendent is not enough.
RobSFGAm

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on September 9th, 2017, 10:50 pm
Agreed 100% I'm amazed that they're able to keep season pass prices so low! Between property taxes, rising wages, insurance, upkeep, etc. Eventually they should raise the price of a season pass. I for one have no problem paying a little more for a season pass if it means keeping the park in good condition, paying employees well, adding new rides, etc. I wish we had the numbers for season pass sales, food sales, etc Compared to the cost of operation. A Modest $5, $10 or hell even $15 increase in season pass prices would more than likely generate alot of extra money, without chasing too many people away!
Nothing to see here....
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby Sven18 on September 10th, 2017, 10:38 am
RobSFGAm wrote:In response to SFGAMNUT9302

I still wonder how long they can continue to offer passes for $70 for an entire season. It seems like in order to keep the parks up (maintenence) as well as add new attractions, the park is going to have to consider raising prices soon. Wages keep going up, insurance costs, more needs to be repaired as the park gets older.
Look at Disney and Universal (I know on a different scale), but they have a yearly increase to keep things $ managable (and yes profit). I am not saying anything crazy, but since they have not raised prices in while would $5 more for daily and season passes stop anyone from going/getting a pass?
Let assume that of the 2.5-3 million people who visit per year, that 1 million are daily gate prices. That would be a net of $5 million from daily alone which could add a second ride (non-coaster install year). Not sure how many season passes they sell per year.
Plus they would have more money to maybe add an additional attendent to a few rides where one attendent is not enough.

1) SF Capital Investments are by a collective not a per park basis so the $5 million increase would not go directly to the park, It goes into the overall revenue of the chain.

2)Increase revenue is not 1 to 1 towards capital investment. Under the capital investment formula to get a 5M increase in ride expenditures you theorized, it would require a revenue increase of about 100M.(100M revenue increase would be 9M overall capital expenditure increase and of that 5.4M would be rides)
Sven18

Postby Sven18 on September 10th, 2017, 10:56 am
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:Agreed 100% I'm amazed that they're able to keep season pass prices so low! Between property taxes, rising wages, insurance, upkeep, etc. Eventually they should raise the price of a season pass. I for one have no problem paying a little more for a season pass if it means keeping the park in good condition, paying employees well, adding new rides, etc. I wish we had the numbers for season pass sales, food sales, etc Compared to the cost of operation. A Modest $5, $10 or hell even $15 increase in season pass prices would more than likely generate alot of extra money, without chasing too many people away!

SF clearly doesn't think they can raise prices and not loose a significant number of customers. They based their strategy on low cost and high volume. The most expensive season pass across the chain was MM at $80 during the sale(that was for a gold with the free upgrade). That's less than every US based Cedar Fair park except Valley Fair($75). SF doesn't seem to believe they have the value.ie...pricing power to increase prices. Nobody believes parks like VF, WOF, MiAdv are in on par with SFMM, but they are willing to sell less passes at a higher price and lower volume. That surely keeps some people away from these parks, but the ones that go don't have a zoo atmosphere of the park swarmed by people buying cheap season passes, which SF does at Stl, DK, Am, NE, OG(All were at $55 or less during the sale).
Sven18

Postby RobSFGAm on September 10th, 2017, 11:47 am
I was just using our park since I know the numbers a bit better and what they charge for passes.
They could easily do this to all the parks as well.
As for the additional $ to spend, I agree, but again if they do not raise the price, they have 0 of the additional revenue to use. If they can currently support the park as is without an increase, the additional $5 (or whatever amount) is pure increased revnue that they would not have had if they did not raise the costs. If a coke at the park is around $5 per cup (without the refill bottle) people would not complain about $5 admission ticket increase when a single coke costs the same.
So for sake of argument, they could use $2.50 of the $5 collected (and then use the other $2.5 for the bottom line) and repaint the entire american Eagle in the off season versus a section per year.
I was not trying to tie out the numbers as much as saying $5 per head is not going to cause a drop in attendence. They way they have it where they do it maybe every 5-7 years makes it more of a big deal them what Disney/Universal do annually.
RobSFGAm

Postby Sven18 on September 10th, 2017, 1:05 pm
RobSFGAm wrote:I was just using our park since I know the numbers a bit better and what they charge for passes.
They could easily do this to all the parks as well.
As for the additional $ to spend, I agree, but again if they do not raise the price, they have 0 of the additional revenue to use. If they can currently support the park as is without an increase, the additional $5 (or whatever amount) is pure increased revnue that they would not have had if they did not raise the costs. If a coke at the park is around $5 per cup (without the refill bottle) people would not complain about $5 admission ticket increase when a single coke costs the same.
So for sake of argument, they could use $2.50 of the $5 collected (and then use the other $2.5 for the bottom line) and repaint the entire american Eagle in the off season versus a section per year.
I was not trying to tie out the numbers as much as saying $5 per head is not going to cause a drop in attendence. They way they have it where they do it maybe every 5-7 years makes it more of a big deal them what Disney/Universal do annually.

You keep talking about using 2.50 of 5 increases for repaint, rides, etc.. That's not how the capital investments work. It's all based on a % of gross revenue. To get a relatively small increase in capital expenditures SF needs massive revenue increases. For example CF spent about 40M more than SF in 2017 on capita investments though both produced the same overall revenue. For SF to have spent 40M more to equal CF, SF under their investment formula would have had to increase revenue by 740M. So, instead of having 1.3B in revenue they would have needed 2.04B.

SF has 30M visitors a yr and about 60% are season pass holders.ie..18M. Of that 18M visitors if you say a season pass holder goes 4 times a yr (very conservative estimate), so that's 4.5 M actual unique customers from that 18M visits. If SF raised prices $5 as mentioned before that would be 22.5M more in revenue from pass holders. If you take the 12M non pass holders visitors and raised them $5 that would be 60M more in revenue. Also, we know that many of that 12M non pass holder visitors are BAFF's. But, for simplicity we will ignore that and say they can get $5 more from non pass holder visitors. The combined pass holder and non pass holder revenue will just increase 82.5M on a $5 price hike. That will produce just 7.45M more in capital expenditures and of that 4.5M would be for rides. Even if you bumped the increase to $10 it would be just 9M in ride budget increase. Of course this is all on the assumption there is no decrease in attendance with price increases. SF customers have been used to cheap prices and thus may be very sensitive to price increases. SF doesn't seem willing to test that b/c the prices have been stable for years now.

Should SF increase prices? Yes, but it will not have a large impact on capital investments under the formula unless it's a massive increase. The numbers come out that every 100M increase in revenue is just 9M in capital expenditures of which 5.4M is for rides.

Will they have to increase prices at some point? Yes, b/c there number of people you can sell passes to will plateau or have insignificant increases. They have almost doubled pass holder %'s in the last 6 years. At some point almost everyone who wants a pass will have one despite the lure of cheap prices. The other problem they have is the per visitor spending is decreasing year after year. So, people seem to buying cheap passes or coming as BAFF's and not spending out of pocket that much.

SF in my opinion needs to create desired benefits in a more tiered pass structure...ie Regular, Silver, and Gold.
Regular pass ($85 to 90)- is only good for your home park

Silver pass($110 to 120) - good for your home park, free parking home park, early entry and some other benefits to entice upgrade

Gold pass($160 to 180) - good at all SF parks, free parking all parks, early entry all parks, good at all waterparks even the ones with separate admission, discount on flash pass at all parks, etc... This is essentially for the enthusiast who will visit 3,4,5+ parks a yr
Sven18

Postby LordMagnus101 on September 11th, 2017, 11:46 am
A season pass with like three built in fast pass rides per trip would be amazing. They could build them into your card and the person scans the card when you get into the fast pass line. I would easily pay 100+ for that.

Really think this is how fast pass should work. Build them into everyone's ticket price, and the higher the ticket, the more fast passes you get for the day, but its not unlimited (max like 10 maybe?).
LordMagnus101

Postby RaceBoarder on September 11th, 2017, 1:22 pm
Y'all ever heard the marketing phrase "Give them the razors... Sell them the blades..."?

That's exactly what's going on with the $60-70 passes.... It's not rocket science...
RaceBoarder

Postby Sven18 on September 11th, 2017, 1:46 pm
RaceBoarder wrote:Y'all ever heard the marketing phrase "Give them the razors... Sell them the blades..."?

That's exactly what's going on with the $60-70 passes.... It's not rocket science...

In park per visitor spending is down 3 years in a row, many people aren't buying "the blades." like SF is banking on. There are several other potential long term problems, such as pass growth saturation and building a base sensitive to price increases b/c things have always been so cheap.
Sven18

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum