Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Mardi Gras Hangover Discussion Thread

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 31st, 2017, 6:53 am
This looks really fun in my opinion. Hanging upside down 100 feet in the air?! That's crazy hangtime. This will be a great addition.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 31st, 2017, 6:58 am
honestly, the best part of the announcements was the return of Jim Reid
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 494
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby WolfsterJ on August 31st, 2017, 7:06 am
The hangtime will definitely be great, but keep in mind that even though it's taller, it still has the same cycle as every other super loop. :P
WolfsterJ

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 7:08 am
Call it "The Hot Chicken" OR "The Hangover Coaster"
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 7:13 am
You can't get your 2018 season pass yet, but you can sure get your food pass.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... ing-passes

:lol:

To the people 10 hours from now, this won't make sense. The new season pass page has a treasure chest on it.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby maxwellt on August 31st, 2017, 7:16 am
It's annoying to call it a coaster I know, but it's a good fit for the park that lacks in thrilling flats. Now we just need a cyborg and a giant discovery and we will be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 7:16 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:You can't get your 2018 season pass yet, but you can sure get your food pass.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/s ... ing-passes

:lol:

To the people 10 hours from now, this won't make sense. The new season pass page has a treasure chest on it.

Except they show the 2017 Dining Guide.

Coaster Justin

Postby JimPanky on August 31st, 2017, 7:20 am
Okay there's alot of talk about naming. I am not personally bothered by naming. I do see the issue from marketing and pr standpoints though. There will be people that are upset by the name or may even bring up bad memories in some cases so it is a bad business move. That being said Six Flags water parks are Hurricane Harbor and this is not the only themes in the industry with names that can hurt your business. There is a line somewhere though.

Demon caused a stir from some religious groups. I see no problem with the Demon name and theming.

So where do you draw the line. Personally I have no problem with any of it but it's a decision how much of public opinion you take into account. The timing with Harvey I'm guessing they will rename this because it would cause some level of bad pr. Yet Hurricanes have been around a little bit longer than Six Flags and there wasn't a big media pr storm (pun intended) with openings of Hurricane Harbor's, Typhoon Lagoon, or Twister.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
JimPanky

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 31st, 2017, 7:21 am
It says
^^"Valid through the end of the 2017 season & all of 2018 season"

So if people buy it today, and they didn't have a dining pass before, they could still go to the park during this year, and they would have the same 2017 menu.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 7:51 am
Does the $40 dining pass cost scare anyone else regarding food lines next year? Last year it was like 90

Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 8:47 am
JimPanky wrote:Okay there's alot of talk about naming. I am not personally bothered by naming. I do see the issue from marketing and pr standpoints though. There will be people that are upset by the name or may even bring up bad memories in some cases so it is a bad business move. That being said Six Flags water parks are Hurricane Harbor and this is not the only themes in the industry with names that can hurt your business. There is a line somewhere though.

Demon caused a stir from some religious groups. I see no problem with the Demon name and theming.

So where do you draw the line. Personally I have no problem with any of it but it's a decision how much of public opinion you take into account. The timing with Harvey I'm guessing they will rename this because it would cause some level of bad pr. Yet Hurricanes have been around a little bit longer than Six Flags and there wasn't a big media pr storm (pun intended) with openings of Hurricane Harbor's, Typhoon Lagoon, or Twister.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I personally don't like the name of the Demon and another person on here doesn't either as he refers to it as "the black Arrow coaster". But what I really don't like is when they used 666 in their advertising for Fright Fest a few years ago and I think some of the Fright Fest stuff does push the envelope a little bit. I was quite offended by that and thought it was in very poor taste. Hurricane doesn't bother me. A hurricane is a natural occurrence/act of God.

I didn't like name Goliath either . Why couldn't they have named it something more positive sounding??
And do the names Goliath or Demon fit into a County Fair theme? I Know, the theming is not really applicable anymore but thought I'd ask the question.

As for this ride, it's what we all expected. I am not surprised. Hopefully a lean year in 2018 means something amazing in 2019 or 2020 or 2021 (RMC makeover of Eagle called "Steel Eagle" ? )

But at least there will be no debate on here whether this thing is a coaster or not :)
I'll ride this thing only if the line is short. It's another "take it or leave it" ride just like 2016 and 2017 additions.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 8:52 am
Looks like schoup/bbd/doubleb was correct about the Larson Loop but he just had the wrong year :)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby BCarroll on August 31st, 2017, 9:14 am
Excited about this addition! They could call it "Eye of the Storm" but I think another park has a ride named that, if I'm not mistaken!
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 10:18 am
BCarroll wrote:Excited about this addition! They could call it "Eye of the Storm" but I think another park has a ride named that, if I'm not mistaken!

Kentucky Kingdom

Coaster Justin

Postby JimPanky on August 31st, 2017, 10:19 am
JimPanky

Postby CoasterDave316 on August 31st, 2017, 10:55 am
The following is from Six Flags regarding the Flash Sale not working through the renewel link.

"I wanted to let you know that we are actively working on the issue and should have passes available through the renewal link later today"
CoasterDave316
Webmaster/Site Admin

Postby hoju74 on August 31st, 2017, 10:56 am
CoasterDave316 wrote:The following is from Six Flags regarding the Flash Deal link not working for Season Passes.

"I wanted to let you know that we are actively working on the issue and should have passes available through the renewal link later today"

Good to know, thanks !
hoju74

Postby great america fan on August 31st, 2017, 11:01 am
so what do you guys think new name or that they're just going to announce hurricane force is the name later :?:
great america fan

Postby RollingCoasting on August 31st, 2017, 11:10 am
Maybe they'll have a naming contest or something if they decide to can the Hurricane theme
RollingCoasting

Postby Muck Finnesota on August 31st, 2017, 12:35 pm
At the very least, they didn't force another DC themed name onto the park. Looking forward to the Skywarp that will inevitably follow in a few years.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby n9yty on August 31st, 2017, 12:36 pm
I emailed also, and as of 11:10am or so this morning the renewal link was working.
n9yty

Postby aaron60060 on August 31st, 2017, 1:26 pm
1. I have zero interest in riding this.
2. It is an upgrade from King Chaos.
3. Six Flags doesn't care to build anything like Raging Bull or something to compete with the amazing rides other chains do. They don't have to, because they can install crap and people will throw their money at them endlessly.
4. I live 5 minutes from the gate, and won't be buying in again until they get something worth my time.
aaron60060

Postby B&MGuy35 on August 31st, 2017, 1:30 pm
I understand everyone has a right to their own opinion but I've literally been going to this park since it opened and I will always have a loyalty to it. No matter what they install or do doesn't bother me much either way because I have all those memories of my family visiting when I was a kid. We can't get an amazing ride every year and quite frankly we've been very lucky these past several. This will be a great addition to the park and my only wish is that is was part of a entire flat package for the area to liven it back up.
While I won't wait in extremely long lines to ride this I will definitely take a spin on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby aaron60060 on August 31st, 2017, 1:33 pm
That's good. Different people have different wishes. For my money, I want something unique. Goliath is about all we've gotten in some time. They need to expand, and refuse to do it, because again, why would they.
aaron60060

Postby gottastrata33 on August 31st, 2017, 1:33 pm
I hate it I'm sorry. I hate when any of us act this way but I sadly for once, truly feel this is a horrible addition on its own & the way it's marketed. The record would have been easier to say as Worlds tallest looping thrill ride. I know some of you have stated not to let it bother us but it simply does. People in the comments keep asking about what Full Throttle is then (that would have been very welcomed here). I am a bit shocked we did not get what SFFT did. Three family-adult flats would have been great next year. I'm still shocked it was a HH year.

At a park like Great America - a park I consider to be a world class theme park - I believe we deserve better. We're a huge park that draws in almost too many people some days. We need more stand out higher capacity attractions. With that said, I wouldn't have minded a super loop with another flat. We've all agreed we need more since the last major flat addition was in 2004 & the kiddie ones in 2015. To say this is our "sweet sixteenth" coaster is degrading in my opinion when the park has added to it's arsenal of thrills with rides like AE, Shockwave, Raging Bull, Goliath & XFlight over the years. We have pushed innovation & new exciting things into this area let alone the world, we have broken boundaries, we are a great park. Adding this & claiming it will be one of our most intense experiences along side those rides we still have, is humiliating.
gottastrata33

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum