Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

What is the Next Coaster To Leave?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2017, 1:35 pm
^I"m not waiting 1 hour for 2 flips. If they want to fix it by adding another magnet on the top level again, than I will be a fan of the ride again. They should just add some drive tires on the part where it could get stuck, and put the middle top level magnets back that force the flips like it did until it got stuck at Texas.

This is an Over Texas video on media day:
https://youtu.be/X7DN-2t95OE?t=18s

You can see 3 separate magnets on the top level. I understand WHY they removed at least 1 area for them (They slow down the train, and the train is going so slow because of the lift hill not having a steep enough drop), but than they need a better solution like 2 or 4 drive tire motors in between the last hump, and put them back. The only other solution would be to increase the height of the lift hill, but they won't do that because that's too much money.

If they are buying new Free Spins, they really should be fixing the lift hill part by making it taller / steeper.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 29th, 2017, 2:47 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't see why everyone wants Dark Knight gone so badly!
It fills at least 3 niches: family coaster, dark ride, indoor ride.

It always has a decent line and has never been a walk on. It's very popular still. In the words of another member on here (paraphrase), "you can't have all thrill rides! You need some family rides too."
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on August 29th, 2017, 3:34 pm
^No one said that since May 1st. :? :?

I don't want Batman (indoors) to be gone either.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on August 29th, 2017, 4:29 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^No one said that since May 1st. :? :?

Can I ask why you always insist on doing that? The ride has the name. It's called The Dark Knight. Or The Dark Night Coaster. Or TDK. Batman is nowhere in the name. What point are you trying to prove?

(Also, I find it crazy that there are people who think Spacely's is better than Little Dipper - and I have kids, I've been on both a bunch. I guess everybody's allowed their own opinion...)
anewman35

Postby chicagoperson on August 29th, 2017, 8:40 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't see why everyone wants Dark Knight gone so badly!
It fills at least 3 niches: family coaster, dark ride, indoor ride.

It always has a decent line and has never been a walk on. It's very popular still. In the words of another member on here (paraphrase), "you can't have all thrill rides! You need some family rides too."

Because we have 5 coasters not including TDK that are family coasters..

JLBM is far a superior dark/indoor ride, now that we have that, TDK is just a cloned wild mouse in the dark in the most bland and ugly building possibly ever built..Its horrible capacity and AC can be thanked for the long lines. Plus its place in the park is as good as it really gets for where a flagship coaster should be built
1. Steel Vengeance 2. El Toro 3. Maverick 4. Millennium Force 5. The Beast
chicagoperson

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 29th, 2017, 8:44 pm
For each time I've been on Joker, I've had so many flips. I totally think it's worth the wait. Not sure what you guys are talking about. Does weight on the trains have to do with how much you flip?
SFGAM_Hog

Postby chicagoperson on August 29th, 2017, 8:49 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:For each time I've been on Joker, I've had so many flips. I totally think it's worth the wait. Not sure what you guys are talking about. Does weight on the trains have to do with how much you flip?

Less weight=More flips

Im 180 lbs and my cousins 190 lbs and we only flip like once....MAYBE 2 times

But with my other cousin, who's around 110, Jokers in my top 5 at the park because the flips never stop on green side
chicagoperson

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2017, 1:03 pm
chicagoperson wrote:Because we have 5 coasters not including TDK that are family coasters..

JLBM is far a superior dark/indoor ride, now that we have that, TDK is just a cloned wild mouse in the dark in the most bland and ugly building possibly ever built..Its horrible capacity and AC can be thanked for the long lines. Plus its place in the park is as good as it really gets for where a flagship coaster should be built

Justice League is NOT a coaster! It's a fun ride but it's basically a video game on wheels. I like it but I think Dark Knight is a much better ride.

Dark Knight also has some great theming, in the queue, as well as the actual trains, and along the course of the ride.

So we have 4 family coasters in my opinion: Whizzer, Spacely, Little Dipper, and Dark Knight.
I don't know if Demon qualifies as a family coaster.

As for cloned, we don't have any other wild mouse ride in the park so to me, Dark Knight is very unique at our park. And they've only built it a couple other parks.

As for the building, what's wrong with it??

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^No one said that since May 1st. :? :?

Perhaps not in this exact thread but if you read several other threads on here, many folks are calling for Dark Knight to be removed.....

CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on August 30th, 2017, 1:37 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:You clearly don't care about anything but thrill rides. Not every coaster can be/needs to be a major one. Without rides like Dark Knight, LD, or Demon, the park wouldn't survive. & if you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you other than it's ignorant. & do not bring up CP please that's it's very own category that has taken decades to build up. Parks need family attractions. Not everyone can ride certain things let alone want to.

I also have to ask - Do you not care about history at all?The Little Dipper though tiny, has left a huge impact on people in the Chicagoland area. There's a reason the park saved it. It was not only my first roller coaster but many of my friends & families first coaster as well. I think Great America saving it was one of the best decisions the park has ever made. Removing it would be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Strata, I am NOT about only thrill rides! Have you not seen my numerous other postings stating how much I like Whizzer and Dark Knight? Whizzer is my #6 coaster at our park and I like Dark Knight very much, even ahead of V2 and Joker. Viper (my #8) is fun. I just hate that it seems to take forever to get on the ride even when the line appears short. Also, it was just a thought about removing it if they had to make space.

As for Little Dipper, yes it's historic and I definitely care about history (see above about Whizzer). Spacely is a way better ride in my opinion. If space became an issue I would think that something could go.

Of course those loud/annoying go karts can go first!

Obviously I'm a little biased. It was even my cousins first "big kid" coaster & experiencing that with her is something I will never forget. It gave her courage to experience Dark knight the next year & we've even got her on Viper (she thinks it's an adult Little Dipper). She threw up on me but hey, she tried & it all started with LD ;ad LOL! but seriously, there are several emotions in that ride for me.

I truly think the go karts needed to go a while ago. Put "Lobster" in there with another kiddie flat & call t Kiddieland. HOW THAT HASNT HAPPENED IDK.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 30th, 2017, 1:41 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I truly think the go karts needed to go a while ago. Put "Lobster" in there with another kiddie flat & call t Kiddieland. HOW THAT HASNT HAPPENED IDK.

The dumbest part of the whole thing is that they HAD a perfectly nice (if maybe a little dated) kiddie area RIGHT THERE that they bulldozed for the Go Karts. Still makes me mad.
anewman35

Postby gottastrata33 on August 30th, 2017, 1:47 pm
anewman35 wrote:
gottastrata33 wrote:I truly think the go karts needed to go a while ago. Put "Lobster" in there with another kiddie flat & call t Kiddieland. HOW THAT HASNT HAPPENED IDK.

The dumbest part of the whole thing is that they HAD a perfectly nice (if maybe a little dated) kiddie area RIGHT THERE that they bulldozed for the Go Karts. Still makes me mad.

Yeah they did. My brother still think that was the cutest kids area in the park. The ball pit/climbing structure had to go but the other things could have stayed. It would have been nice to have Kiddieland & really "keep the history alive".

Buttt as for what I think is next to go to? I honestly have no clue. In a perfect world, I'd want them to add without having to take out all the damn time.
gottastrata33

Postby chicagoperson on August 30th, 2017, 3:19 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:
chicagoperson wrote:Because we have 5 coasters not including TDK that are family coasters..

Justice League is NOT a coaster! It's a fun ride but it's basically a video game on wheels. I like it but I think Dark Knight is a much better ride.

Dark Knight also has some great theming, in the queue, as well as the actual trains, and along the course of the ride.

So we have 4 family coasters in my opinion: Whizzer, Spacely, Little Dipper, and Dark Knight.
I don't know if Demon qualifies as a family coaster.

As for cloned, we don't have any other wild mouse ride in the park so to me, Dark Knight is very unique at our park. And they've only built it a couple other parks.

As for the building, what's wrong with it??

Never said it was a coaster, but it's an indoor dark ride (and a pretty awesome one considering six flags standards) that's much more fun and interactive than TDK.

We have Whizzer, Spacely, Little Dipper, TDK, Demon, and i count Viper as a family coaster as well. Wanting a wild mouse is like wanting a boomerang, they're meant for small parks (boardwalks, parks like kiddieland, etc) as a cheap way of saying they have a coaster, not one of a major chains flagship parks with a horrible capacity issue & limited space. I've yet to ride any that are unique or fun, even if you put them in a dark sheet metal box...

Im saying now that our dark/indoor ride position is properly filled by an actual dark ride, there's no need for a standard Wild Mouse to be the very front of the park in what is literally a cheap and ugly metal box.
They should do what they did with Batman & Joker and build a real coaster in TDK's place themed to Lex Luther or some other superman villain to duel with superman's ride
chicagoperson

Postby Coaster Justin on August 31st, 2017, 3:33 am
Hopefully World's Largest Loop Coaster in 2 years.
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 31st, 2017, 8:19 am
^ chicagoperson - I don't even consider JL a true dark ride! It's not really that dark.

Yes, it's interactive, but aren't all video games interactive??
Dark Knight is a fun ride. You mention about wild mouse rides and who wants one - well many on this very forum were upset when Ragin Cajun was removed!

Again, I really don't understand all the hatred and disdain for Dark Knight (or Batman (indoors) as one person calls it). It's a fun ride, but we'll have to just agree to disagree! Everyone is entitled to his own opinion :)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Shockwave88 on October 29th, 2017, 5:05 pm
I have grown to enjoy Dark Knight. Can't believe I'm saying that because I hated it when it debuted. I think part of it is that the line isn't as long as it used to be and it does have a few fun thrills in there. However, every single time I ride TDK, a family cuts in front and I never create a scene because it always seems to be about a kid who needed to go to the bathroom or buy a Coke or something and it doesn't seem worth the confrontation.

As for the topic of this thread, I honestly think Superman might be first to go because I don't think it has aged well. After Superman, X-Flight. I think they are both duds and have better versions in other parks.
Shockwave88

Postby RollingCoasting on October 29th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Hasn't aged well? It's one of the smoothest coasters in the park... :lol: It seems to be a bit more maintenance-heavy than the park's other B&M's, but it's certainly not going to be the next ride to leave the park. Have you seen how long the lines get for it?

Same with X-Flight. Only 5 years old, reliable, very popular, and the park had to remove 2 classic attractions for it. Just because you think they're "duds" doesn't mean they are being removed next
RollingCoasting

Postby Shockwave88 on October 29th, 2017, 5:33 pm
When I say that Superman hasn't aged well, I mean that it has not developed a cult following like Whizzer, and it does not seem destined to be a classic like Batman, Eagle, or even Demon. I feel like if they announced that Demon, Whizzer, Eagle, Goliath, Batman, Viper or Raging Bull were closing next year, there would be an uproar and anger. If they announced Superman or X Flight were closing? Most people would shrug their shoulders and just wonder what's going on. And the fact that X Flight replaced classic rides is a strike against it, not for it.
Shockwave88

Postby Wisco Woody on October 29th, 2017, 5:39 pm
X-Flight reliable? Sure it runs more than a Deja Vu or Top Thrill Dragster, but it still has at least 30 minutes of downtime every day, never has a great crew, and has at least a couple days of non-operation every season due to its trains. But of course Superman and X-Flight are not leaving for at least a decade and at least 2 decades for the latter. What I think both could use is a better or more experienced crew, but even with slower operations their que lines are excellent people sponges.
Wisco Woody

Postby UnclePennybags on October 29th, 2017, 9:08 pm
I'd be bummed if X-Flight left. It's my favorite coaster and my only "must ride" when I visit the park.
UnclePennybags

Postby CoasterRiderSC on October 30th, 2017, 2:41 pm
^ X-Flight is an absolutely awesome coaster and my fave in the park (just ahead of Raging Bull). The thing is as smooth as a Cadillac!

What makes it a "dud"?

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on October 30th, 2017, 5:17 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ X-Flight is an absolutely awesome coaster and my fave in the park (just ahead of Raging Bull). The thing is as smooth as a Cadillac!

What makes it a "dud"?

Smooth? Umm... the last third of the ride is speed bump city... granted that’s last row, outer seat...
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby CoasterRiderSC on November 3rd, 2017, 3:24 pm
JaminOut wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:^ X-Flight is an absolutely awesome coaster and my fave in the park (just ahead of Raging Bull). The thing is as smooth as a Cadillac!

What makes it a "dud"?

Smooth? Umm... the last third of the ride is speed bump city... granted that’s last row, outer seat...

I find it very smooth and very re-rideable! Are you talking about the helix near the end that is close to the ground? I also started noticing (this year) that if you ride on right side, outer, you get some "close calls" with many of the support posts!

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Sven18 on November 9th, 2017, 6:29 pm
Coaster Justin wrote:Hopefully World's Largest Loop Coaster in 2 years.

Leave Nope! Maybe in a few years the park could pair it with the World's Largest Skywarp! Skywarps are super cheap and the 1st park to get one already has a loop..SFDK. 2M for a ride they can call a coaster has SF super clone written all over it.
Sven18

Previous

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum