Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 11th, 2017, 12:04 pm
I doubt they would remove a popular coaster like Viper for a water park expansion, when they could simply rip up some parking lot or demolish the pictorium. Removing viper would piss alot of people off, where as ripping up some asphalt or tearing down a dormant Imax theater wouldn't.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby American Eagle 1981 on August 11th, 2017, 3:58 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:
American Eagle 1981 wrote:This is WAY out there but does anyone else thing signs point to Viper closing for good within the next couple of years. I'd say there's less than a 1% chance of this but it's interesting to me that they're choosing to run it backwards for less than a week. It's just a really strange and out of nowhere announcement. Plus all the talk about developing Hurricane Harbor, Viper is a prime location for a water coaster or a major expansion even though the Pictorium is a smarter plot of land. That's really all the signs that point to it, not many but maybe some substance. Also if a super loop is added next door they'll count it as a new coaster therefore giving slack to remove one. Vipers not a classic like other coasters, it's not better for kids than most other rides, it's not unique, there's already two other wooden coasters. So who knows. Just a possibility.

First off, Viper was there a decade before HH. It was built along the coaster. Everything else: Not a classic? It's inspired by & a mere clone of the most classic American coaster of all time - the Coney Island Cyclone & in my opinion (& many others') the best clone of the Cyclone out there. It runs incredibly well. It was built in house by SF so is very unique to the company let alone it's simply a great ride. There is no indication it's leaving. I'm sure I'll get crap for this but your hatred/ill opinion of this ride bothers me cause everything you said just isn't true. I understand you're just speculating but, put some thoughts into what you're saying, it would be appreciated. I mean the park already has two wooden coasters? So should Holiday World or KI get rid of one of theirs because they have more than 2? No. Viper is good.

First off you need to chill the heck out. Second, Thank you for those useless tidbits of info I didn't need, third, I'm a coaster enthusiast, I'm always interested in the parks future and all the possibilities. I was just merely getting feedback from other knowledgeable people. I definetly thought out what I'm saying, like I said, less than a 1% chance of it happening. So again, thank you for unneedingly criticize the statement. Another thing, a park clearly does NOT NEED 4 wooden coasters. It's a nice thing but unnecessary. Viper's a stellar ride, I have no problem with it, and it's a popular ride. However I and many other people can make arguments about that for every single other coaster in the park. And a ride built in 1995 isn't a classic no matter how damn famous the layout is. There was no indication that V2 was leaving yet enthusiasts jumped all over that saying it would be shipped to America which is now possibly getting a Free Fly. It's just speculation, chill out,
American Eagle 1981

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm
Why can't a park have a lot of wooden rides? It's like having a lot of steel rides.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby BCarroll on August 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm
American Eagle 1981, you made a comment on what you think should happen and gottastrata33 just voiced his opinion on the ride. There is no need to rebuttal what he said. This forum is no place to fight, that seems to be the new thing to do in these forums lately :roll:
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby American Eagle 1981 on August 11th, 2017, 4:16 pm
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Why can't a park have a lot of wooden rides? It's like having a lot of steel rides.

Nah they totally can, its just not necessary
American Eagle 1981

Postby American Eagle 1981 on August 11th, 2017, 4:18 pm
BCarroll wrote:American Eagle 1981, you made a comment on what you think should happen and gottastrata33 just voiced his opinion on the ride. There is no need to rebuttal what he said. This forum is no place to fight, that seems to be the new thing to do in these forums lately :roll:

Everyone else voiced their opinion which I like but he took personal shots saying I should think before I post which wasn't necessary. I took it a little far, my bad.
American Eagle 1981

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 11th, 2017, 4:55 pm
^^ I think it definitely brings in more people. Not a crazy number but there will be more ridership with it backwards.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby maxwellt on August 11th, 2017, 5:09 pm
I hope repiv opens Sunday, when I go :)

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 11th, 2017, 5:11 pm
maxwellt wrote:I hope repiv opens Sunday, when I go :)

It was running backwards today already!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on August 11th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Yayaya! I'm glad, I'm going with 2 gp friends and they're excited too, now I gotta convince them to get on that first lol. Was the line bad?

maxwellt

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 11th, 2017, 5:23 pm
maxwellt wrote:Yayaya! I'm glad, I'm going with 2 gp friends and they're excited too, now I gotta convince them to get on that first lol. Was the line bad?

I got on around 11:00, so it was a walk on. I bet the line will be like it usually is.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on August 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm
So probably half an hour at most? I am going on a sunday

maxwellt

Postby staticshadows on August 11th, 2017, 7:42 pm
There is nothing for Great America on the planning board agenda for August 16th. Next meeting is September 6th, so we will know what we are getting before then.
http://www.gurnee.il.us/docs/default-so ... f?sfvrsn=2
staticshadows

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 12th, 2017, 12:58 am
After seeing the artwork for Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas... I really hope Great America demolishes both flumes and builds a huge RMC T-Rex in their place.
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby RollingCoasting on August 12th, 2017, 2:27 am
Could probably fit one in a more compact space
RollingCoasting

Postby American Eagle 1981 on August 12th, 2017, 11:22 am
About what are T-Rex's capable of capacity wise per hour assuming it would be a pretty massive ride?
American Eagle 1981

Postby staticshadows on August 12th, 2017, 12:04 pm
American Eagle 1981 wrote:About what are T-Rex's capable of capacity wise per hour assuming it would be a pretty massive ride?

No specs for this ride have been released, so no one will know what the capacity is. There is only a concept video of it. I doubt a T-REX coaster shows up anywhere for a couple of years.
staticshadows

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on August 12th, 2017, 12:19 pm
I'm not sure what the capacity would be. This seems to be the most informative videos I've seen so far regarding the T-Rex. If the RMC Raptor at Fiesta Texas turns out to be a smash hit, I think it would be cool if Six Flags added the larger T-Rex versions to the big 3, Great America, Great Adventure and Magic Mountain, just like what they did with Shock Wave, Great American Scream Machine and Viper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPhGdHVwDY
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby gottastrata33 on August 12th, 2017, 3:47 pm
Noted to all the sarcasm but moving on. In the future, a Trex would be incredible here.

I deep down still regret the park sold that land across the highway cause we could have had the parking lot open still while the water park was on the other side. Both parks would have had plain open land to expand on. But it's not what the reality is so let's hope they make wise decisions on both parks.
gottastrata33

Postby CoasterDemon on August 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:After seeing the artwork for Wonder Woman at Fiesta Texas... I really hope Great America demolishes both flumes and builds a huge RMC T-Rex in their place.

Wha!? Those flumes are awesome and becoming rare.

There is PLENTY of room in and around them for a coaster, even two. PLENTY of room anywhere in the park for that matter.

Space is not an issue. Ever.
CoasterDemon

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on August 12th, 2017, 4:50 pm
gottastrata33 wrote:I deep down still regret the park sold that land across the highway cause we could have had the parking lot open still while the water park was on the other side. Both parks would have had plain open land to expand on. But it's not what the reality is so let's hope they make wise decisions on both parks.

Agreed. Very unfortunate, would have done wonders in the future. I think a separate dry and wet park is the way to go, so it would have been better on the other side.
Sucker for a launch | Coaster Count: 502
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby Wisco Woody on August 12th, 2017, 5:45 pm
CoasterDemon wrote:Wha!? Those flumes are awesome and becoming rare.

There is PLENTY of room in and around them for a coaster, even two. PLENTY of room anywhere in the park for that matter.

Space is not an issue. Ever.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Space is the #1 barrier to the park building a coaster of any decent length, as every major coaster since Raging Bull has been disappointingly short. Instead of the park building another short and compact, 2 train coaster, I would prefer them to wait until they have the funds, space, and desire to build a longer 3 train, high capacity coaster that has at least a full minute of speed and elements. If we want such a coaster to ever be built, then other rides will have to be removed, because real life is not Roller Coaster Tycoon.

The flumes are boring, old, and limited in their operating schedule as they could never operate during Fright Fest and the end of the year. They should be the next major tracked rides to bite the dust, followed by Whizzer, which many people would be up in arms about, but it is over 15 years due for removal and sits on the most prime real estate at the front of the park.
Wisco Woody

Postby CoasterDemon on August 12th, 2017, 6:18 pm
Six Flags is not investing in full length coasters anymore. Why? They don't have to with $70 season passes.

Space will never be an issue. See Grona Lund, Indiana Beach, Liseberg, Knotts, etc etc etc...

What's crazier than six flags using the space issue as an excuse for stuff like Goliath... is that people buy it.

Whizzer is a landmark and not going anywhere. It's an excellent ride and has had a resurgence of popularity over the years... long lines. Especially for those whom enjoy full-length coasters and realize intensity isn't everything. The park keeps it's trains in top condition.
Last edited by CoasterDemon on August 12th, 2017, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoasterDemon

Postby gottastrata33 on August 12th, 2017, 6:18 pm
If the true need to remove them ever came up, I would hope we received a water coaster. Not a pulsar but a ride more along the lines of Poseidon (minus the intense theming cause that's just not gonna happen here).

More & more parks are giving their flumes the chop. It's sad I know but again, the only way to "replace" them is with a family water coaster in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think that land could also use a major coaster but I'd hate to not see an ode to the flumes mangled in there as well if it were to happen.
gottastrata33

Postby anewman35 on August 12th, 2017, 6:31 pm
It's simply not true that "space isn't an issue". Yes, as seen in the examples given, a park CAN do a bunch of stuff to put rides over/under/in-between other rides and get stuff in. However, as a general rule, Six Flags doesn't seem to ever do such things. Six Flags wants things as easy/cheap as possible. Doing custom things to fit things in around other things is more complicated and possibly more expensive. So, even though in a perfect world space wouldn't matter, in the one we live in it matters quite a bit. Unless Six Flags ever drastically changes, I'd be shocked to ever see rides crammed in on top of other rides.
anewman35

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum