Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby chrisisdragon on July 24th, 2017, 5:47 am
I really think the 2018 addition to great america will be a hurricane harbor expansion, I don't think they are going to use the land from the Pictorium because Susan Rosen confirm that she will be there for fright fest. so you guys or girls could be right about using the new preferred parking spots. I know this is a long shot i would really love to see 3D movies back in the Pictorium again. doubleb if you are here just to troll to just piss every one off just please stay off this is one of the most exciting time of the year to see what we will be getting in 2018 please don't make the experience on this site horrible.
chrisisdragon

Postby Goku1910 on July 24th, 2017, 5:57 am
What does Susan Rosen have to do with not using that land? Six Flags is notorious for starting construction late in the year so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they did use it.
Goku1910

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 6:56 am
I don't think it makes any sense to keep the Pictorium in its current state, but I also don't know that the park would want to lose the indoor theater space. At some point I saw somebody post the idea of converting the Dark Knight queue area back to a theater, makes sense to me...
anewman35

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 24th, 2017, 12:45 pm
Wisco Woody wrote:RMC Eagle is the ace up the sleeve of the entire Six Flags chain to outdo the future RMC additions by Cedar Point and any other major park in the entire Midwest and Northern US. Eagle is the perfect candidate, as a Twisted Colossus style iron horse layout would be about 6000 to 7500 ft long for about $15 million or under, extrapolating the around $10 million cost of TC.

All they would need to do is shorten up the airtime hills on red side, add a couple inversions and banks in the straight sections that already have supports, especially on blue side, and then treat the giant helix the exact same way they treated the turnaround on TC. The supports are there, the layout is there, and the drop and speed are definitely there, it's just hard for many to realize how massive Eagle's structure is since it is built in a 20 ft deep ditch. Notice that they only repainted the lift hill support structure pure white, and have done nothing with the track or trains except minor and normal retracking.

Woody, I like this idea! And I don't think it's delusional at all. The hypothesis on the repainting is quite plausible. And then instead of having 4 wooden coasters, they can say we have TWO RMC coasters, one built from Ground up and one a convert.
Another reason that this makes sense is the that the Eagle used to be the crown jewel of the park back in the 80s (and even after Shock Wave was built, I'd argue). Converting this coaster will be highly visible and this once marquis ride could become the crown jewel once again, for the park!

BTW, if they do Iron Horse the American Eagle, I'll bet the house it
will be called "Steel Eagle" !! I've been thinking of that name for a long time!
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 24th, 2017, 12:49 pm
chicagoperson wrote:I normally only just read to keep up to date with my home park and have only posted like twice,but my god doubleb, you really do have a negative thing to say about every possible thing anyone can come up with.

Yes Cedar Point is better, yes Cedar Fair spends more. We get it. Nobody denies this.

If someone wants to post a THOUGHT or SPECULATION on anything no matter how ridiculous or impossible, they can and should. Its fun.

Well said! I agree 100% and I think you speak for all of us (except for doubleb)
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby gottastrata33 on July 24th, 2017, 1:01 pm
If you want me to be honest, deep down in my heart I would be so torn apart by AE being converted. I would probably cry lol. But there would be a little spot in there that knows it would be fantastic. I just don't wanna see it happen - yet. We had a very short lived record of the most wooden coaster track in one park ( I think KI has it now or maybe we still do someone look this up haha). Having two RMCs isn't odd to me when so many parks worldwide, including us have multiple B&Ms, Arrows, Intamins etc. if the product/model is different, that's all that matters. It's not like we'd get a Goliath clone. A hybrid is VERY different from a topper track woodie. Rant over on this subject cause .....

I'm still for the water park addition. ;)
gottastrata33

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 24th, 2017, 1:35 pm
Back to waterpark things, I would want a water coaster like Deluge. The new Thunder Rapids just doesn't seem that impressive to me because it is mostly based on turns (I heard someone say that it only has 1 part of airtime.), and I would just ride one of the bowl slides based on the turns at Great America's waterpark.
Deluge video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LRtd-Ny4UE

Maybe, that ride - Thunder Rapids - I would want more after an airtime machine water coaster is installed at Great America, but the park doesn't have one yet. For me, when I went on one (actual airtime water coaster), it was the greatest water thing I've ever been on. Noah's Ark in Wisconsin, on the other hand could get a ride like Thunder Rapids because they have everything else already including an airtime machine water coaster.

Basically, I feel that this Thunder Rapids ride won't make up for the water coaster the park doesn't have. I still will want a real airtime machine water coaster even if they add this Thunder Rapids.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Wisco Woody on July 24th, 2017, 5:17 pm
It's clear that doubleb was always the kid in class who always raised his hand and never stops talking. I think it's time he realizes how pathetic he is for spending so much time and effort on a forum of a park he supposedly despises. doubleb is a sad, pathetic mess, and is also *very fake news ("superloop").

I never said RMC Eagle was a guarantee, but the signs and massive potential are there. The back car of blue side is still quite painful and doomed to get worse over time along with worsening roughness elsewhere and stripping of the paint and track, and the park knows this. After 2018, Eagle will have had 38 operating seasons, and I imagine a total ridership of near 60 million, as according to the park it was 57 million riders at the end of last year.

It will be much easier for the Park to if in the year of removal they open a new flat package hopefully with a giant discovery, and possibly a Waterpark expansion in the same year after lower cap expenditure this year, and then announce the closing of Eagle as early as possible. This would give Eagle great popularity and lines in its last year and ease the lines for the new attraction(s). Truth be told the number one thing I'd want to see for next year besides a giant discovery is a revamp of the Pictorium and an overhaul of park entertainment and shows. I would be very pleased if they could put in the same effort into shows and special themeing as they do during Fright Fest all season long, and first step would be new shows in the Pictorium.
Wisco Woody

Postby staticshadows on July 24th, 2017, 5:33 pm
What if they just used IBox track as it was originally intended and kept the layout of American Eagle pretty much the same but with some minor tweaks to the layout? You would have a completely smooth ride with brand new RMC trains.
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 8:14 pm
staticshadows wrote:What if they just used IBox track as it was originally intended and kept the layout of American Eagle pretty much the same but with some minor tweaks to the layout? You would have a completely smooth ride with brand new RMC trains.

If you did that, doesn't that just make the American Eagle just kind of an average steel coaster, without any gigantic drops or loops or anything? I mean, it would still be a fun ride, but it seems like it would be hard to justify spending the money on retrofitting it...
anewman35

Postby staticshadows on July 24th, 2017, 8:32 pm
Yeah, it was more of a random thought and alternative idea for the IBox track. 9300 ft of IBox track would be very expensive.
staticshadows

Postby RollingCoasting on July 24th, 2017, 8:48 pm
chrisisdragon wrote:I really think the 2018 addition to great america will be a hurricane harbor expansion, I don't think they are going to use the land from the Pictorium because Susan Rosen confirm that she will be there for fright fest. so you guys or girls could be right about using the new preferred parking spots.

Seeing as it's gotten very close to full on some occasions (Last weekend of Fright Fest and RTS/certain BAFF days), cutting out another chunk of the parking lot doesn't seem like the most viable option.

Removing the Pictorium seems like the best choice. It's rarely used, seems a bit run down, and takes up a fair amount of land.

Out of all the existing complexes and attractions, Bahama Mama and Bubba Tubba wouldn't be the worst choice since they are fairly low capacity and if you combined their plot with the sitting area on the other side of Castaway Creek (with the water coaster going over it), you'd get a decent amount of space. Wahoo Racers and Hurricane Mountain seem like they would both have to be removed to fit in a water coaster (Same with the atomic slide complex) which would kill a ton of capacity so that's why I'm saying Mama/Tubba. (Even though it's a fun slide)
RollingCoasting

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm
^Personally, I think taking out Bahama Mama, and Bubba Tuba is not a good idea at all. Bubba Tuba can get at least 3 people per raft, and those rides always have a longer line. i wait in those longer lines all the time. If they did that, I don't know how this year could get any worse. No Orbit. Opening the gates so late to get in the park. Rumored taking away V2, and than now Bahama Mama / Bubba Tube leaving. Geesh.. :cry: :x :x

If they want this Thunder Rapids, you take out Wahoo Racers, tube slide complex in the back, and kiddie play structure. They probably won't do that because of the kiddie play structure. So, than you go for the Pictorium and all those trees near the Whizzer to build this thing. I don't even know if it could fit there though. Might have to take out Carousel Gifts too??
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473

If they want to improve one part of the waterpark, they should definitely get rid of all that sand area. Hardly anyone goes in that area, and it's such a waste. Have seats, but do away with the sand, and buy a bunch of shades for that area. What, 10 people like that area for YEARS! The park could be mobbed galore, and you have your 10 people in that area. Don't they know this already?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 24th, 2017, 9:24 pm
A HH thought I've had - if they do include the Pictorium in any water park expansion, I think I'd like to see the HH entrance moved to that area, so it's closer to the front of the park. And if you did that, if feels like you could use the Pictorium space and some of the area of the current line (and the land bounded by Viper, Whizzer and Raging Bull, maybe going over the train tracks) and do SOMETHING fairly big (water coaster?)
anewman35

Postby RollingCoasting on July 24th, 2017, 9:35 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:If they want this Thunder Rapids, you take out Wahoo Racers, tube slide complex in the back, and kiddie play structure. They probably won't do that because of the kiddie play structure. So, than you go for the Pictorium and all those trees near the Whizzer to build this thing. I don't even know if it could fit there though. Might have to take out Carousel Gifts too??
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Six+F ... 87.9360473

If they want to improve one part of the waterpark, they should definitely get rid of all that sand area. Hardly anyone goes in that area, and it's such a waste. Have seats, but do away with the sand, and buy a bunch of shades for that area. What, 10 people like that area for YEARS! The park could be mobbed galore, and you have your 10 people in that area. Don't they know this already?

Bahama Mama and Bubba Tubba, combined, can only have 5 people riding at a time (Usually though there's only one side running while the other is loading since you have to wait for the conveyor belt to bring the rafts up and they alternate which side it goes to)

Hurricane Mountain, assuming it's fully staffed and is running maximum capacity, can have 8 people at a time, and Wahoo Racers can have 6. Skull Island is fairly high capacity as well, and is pretty much a necessity

I know capacity's not the only factor being considered but removing all 3 complexes for a water coaster v.s. 1 complex and a sitting area (Which as you mentioned isn't very popular) wouldn't make much sense.

But yeah, like everyone else I'm HOPING that if we get something waterpark-related it'll go in Pictorium's spot.
RollingCoasting

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 24th, 2017, 9:54 pm
^For the Hurricane Mountain thing though, I don't see that ever happening. I have seen 2 workers maybe once or twice on that thing. I almost always see 1 worker doing all 4 slides, and only 1 slide goes down at a time. Shhh.. Secret. Hardly anyone rides Hurricane Mountain. That's one of the least popular rides that people ride because it's all the way in the back of the park. Does it seem hidden to people or what? Wahoo Racers I can't tell you about it, other than I was mildly injured by it (nothing serious), and thus I only rode it once. I have heard other people get injured by it, so to me it's a dangerous slide. Capacity doesn't mean much to me for a dangerous slide. I have no idea if all 6 people really go down the slide at once.

For Bahama Mama / Bubba Tuba, it's their fault for not having enough rafts in the conveyor belt. The same thing goes for the Mini-Tornado. We wait for the raft to come up the conveyor belt. It seems like all the time. I assume they do that on purpose because when the raft comes up, that just means to send the next raft already, but they don't seem to understand that some people are slow getting in a tube, and some people are fast getting in a tube.

I agree though that they won't remove all 3 - especially because of that kiddie play structure.

I just find it so weird how with the Tornado water slide, they can be hurry, hurry with that ride, but yet for something like Bubba Tuba they aren't hurry, hurry with that ride. If you mess up (on accident / send a raft too fast) with the Tornado waterslide, and hurry hurry, something really bad could happen. If you mess up with the Bubba Tuba water slide, nothing would ever happen because it's a more relaxing family raft slide. Why aren't they more hurry, hurry with Bubba Tuba and get more rafts up to the top?

Look at this video of Bubba Tuba, and look at the ridiculous amount of spacing inbetween the rafts on the conveyor belt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUR-z5kj5Q
^It seems that the bottom of the conveyor belt messes up some times, and thus it doesn't take the raft fast enough. At 39 seconds, the raft gets stuck a little, and takes 7 seconds to go to the other part of the conveyor belt.

I want to look at other water park conveyor belts videos, but here's one with Kowabunga at Noah's Ark. They have 4 rafts within a small distance of each other on the conveyor belt: (I would like to know the bottom of the conveyor belt though - as to how it looks, but I can't see it in that video.)
https://youtu.be/Z9j-New3itg?t=15s
Ilovthevu'

Postby staticshadows on July 25th, 2017, 10:19 am
The scales are a bit off in this image, but you get the general idea.
-New Hurricane Harbor Entrance
-Proslide RocketBLAST/ FlyingSAUCER (currently at Fiesta Texas)
-Proslide BehemothBOWL 40/TornadoWAVE (currently at Over Georgia and Oaxtepec)
staticshadows

Postby anewman35 on July 25th, 2017, 10:57 am
staticshadows wrote:The scales are a bit off in this image, but you get the general idea.
-New Hurricane Harbor Entrance
-Proslide RocketBLAST/ FlyingSAUCER (currently at Fiesta Texas)
-Proslide BehemothBOWL 40/TornadoWAVE (currently at Over Georgia and Oaxtepec)

Works for me. And you'd even have future space for a flat by the old HH entrance...
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 25th, 2017, 12:33 pm
I don't see them moving the entrance. The whole scheme was for people to walk past all those games in Hometown Square area / start of Southwest Territory - basketball + 7 other games. If you had to walk past that area going to Hurricane Harbor, than you might want to play those games.
Ilovthevu'

Postby anewman35 on July 25th, 2017, 1:35 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:I don't see them moving the entrance. The whole scheme was for people to walk past all those games in Hometown Square area / start of Southwest Territory - basketball + 7 other games. If you had to walk past that area going to Hurricane Harbor, than you might want to play those games.

I don't know if that was the scheme or not, but now that they've made it easy for Season Pass holders to get in from the outside avoiding all that, maybe they wouldn't care as much?
anewman35

Postby jmanporty7 on July 26th, 2017, 5:39 am
Personally, I think Eagle should get a GCI refurb, like what Knotts did with Ghost Rider. With new track all around and new trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanporty7

Postby maxwellt on July 26th, 2017, 10:00 am
jmanporty7 wrote:Personally, I think Eagle should get a GCI refurb, like what Knotts did with Ghost Rider. With new track all around and new trains.

Don't know about the trains, but I agree

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby staticshadows on July 26th, 2017, 10:48 am
August 31st is confirmed.
https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure ... ly-26-2017
2018 New Attraction Announcement – August 31

Stay tuned as Six Flags Great Adventure announces a thrilling, “world’s first” attraction for 2018 via its website and social media at 5 a.m. Video, photos and a press release will showcase all of the exciting details of this new project, slated to open late Spring 2018.
staticshadows

Postby coasterjoy on July 26th, 2017, 1:51 pm
But this is only confirmed as Great Adventure's announcement day, right? I haven't seen anything on Great America's website yet.

coasterjoy

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 26th, 2017, 1:54 pm
coasterjoy wrote:But this is only confirmed as Great Adventure's announcement day, right? I haven't seen anything on Great America's website yet.

All Six Flags parks announce their rides on the same day via video.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum