Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Superman vs. Batman

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 1:57 pm
I am struggling with which of these rides I like better! I know many on here find that ridiculous since Superman is a "one trick pony", just having the pretzel loop.
However I really love Superman for that inversion, plus the element of flying. It's so different than any other ride we have. For the record, I do wish it had more inversions like Manta at Sea World Orlando, and a near miss or two.

Batman is world's first invert and has amazing theming in the queue, around the ride (the police car, the Batman logo atop the building, etc) and Batman has 5 total inversions.

What are your thoughts??
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby RollingCoasting on June 30th, 2017, 2:13 pm
Both are similar length, but Superman seems to crawl around the course following the pretzel loop, whereas Batman flies through the track without giving you a breath. Superman does have the awesome pretzel loop inversion but Batman's inversions are *almost* as good, and it has more. I'll give Superman that it has the better first drop, and a more unique riding position.

I like both, but I prefer Batman.
RollingCoasting

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 2:17 pm
Riding Superman in the rain is incredible! You actually feel like you're flying through the rain! I get what you're saying about the pace of Batman. It's almost relentless.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 2:50 pm
Some of this discussion is subjective, meaning it's a personal preference. That's why I asked the question.
Also , thought I'd point out that a coaster being more forceful doesn't necessarily make it better.
If a ride is painful and not rerideable than I would rate it lower than something that is less forceful but more enjoyable.
I believe there's a reason we don't see any more Top Thrills / Kingda Ka's being built.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 30th, 2017, 3:32 pm
^That's all because of money / money / money, and maintenance. That's not because people don't ride those 2 (Top Thrill / Kingda Ka). Their is a reason why their is only 1 X in the US also. Another money / money / money / maintenance problem.

Batman and Superman I feel are both great rides. However, Batman for me is #6, and Superman is not even in my top 15. That's all I go up (top 15 coasters). I have Batman at 6. V2 at 15. Those are the only 2 coasters for me that are in my top 15 coasters at SFGAm. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy riding the Superman ride. I still feel that it's a great ride though. I do ride it a bunch of times every season. I don't want the Superman ride to leave. I rather have other coasters leave instead.

The Zipper (joker) WAS in my top 3 rides at the park, but I don't like what they are doing with it, so I don't even know about it anymore. - taking magnets off the purple side.. Yet, I feel the Zipper (joker) is not even a roller coaster for me because it's just a knockoff off of the Zipper, so I can't even include it in my favorite coasters. For me, it's a flat ride. If people dont' agree with me. Oh, well. I don't really care. It was the best flat at the park for me, but now I don't even know. People getting 0 flips, or 1 flip. Ridiculous. The old (before mechanics played with it) NON-messed up Zipper (joker), I would put it in my top 5 flat rides, and I go on a lot of flat rides.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 30th, 2017, 4:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^That's all because of money / money / money, and maintenance. That's not because people don't ride those 2 (Top Thrill / Kingda Ka). Their is a reason why their is only 1 X in the US also. Another money / money / money / maintenance problem.

I believe there's truth to what you're saying. I heard that the trains on both of those have to be rebuilt every few years due to the high speed and the wear and tear. I have heard that these 2 rides aren't very rerideable though although I've never been on either. I've been on V2 and a couple of rides back to back in a day is enough on that one for me.
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on July 3rd, 2017, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 30th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Batman is very intense and fast, but I prefer Superman because the flying aspect is amazing! I also prefer Superman because of its SR line.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby maxwellt on June 30th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Both are great. I gotta say. I love the flying aspect of superman, and the pretzel loop is insane! But overall, batman is intense throughout the ride, and if I had to pick, I would choose batman over superman. Again I like both tho
maxwellt

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 3rd, 2017, 11:22 am
While Batman has more sustained intensity, some friends I have actually do NOT like Batman for that very reason (we're all in our mid 40's). They say it gives them headaches :)
To me Batman's intensity is fine and I've ridden it 4x in a row to close out a night. I've ridden Superman 5x to close out night and 6x to start a day and it's very rerideable. The one thing I don't like about Superman is when you're just hanging there waiting to pull into station and exit.

I love the first drop on Superman though! I have Superman ahead of Batman in my rankings.

1 & 2 - X-Flight and Raging Bull (tie)
3 . Goliath
4. Superman
5. Batman
6. Whizzer- I know it's not intense, but I just love this ride!! It's a classic and brings back great memories. It's amazing during Fright Fest at night.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on July 3rd, 2017, 12:14 pm
Batman any day. Still runs butter smooth after 25 years, solid intensity, and a much more aesthetically pleasing coaster.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 3rd, 2017, 1:43 pm
Guy_With_A_Stick wrote:Batman any day. Still runs butter smooth after 25 years, solid intensity, and a much more aesthetically pleasing coaster.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Cam, I love the "butter smooth" phrase! :D
I do love the theming of Batman much better especially the police car, the cave and the Batman sign atop the building. But I actually crave that pretzel loop! To me, that's THE most intense inversion or element of any ride at the park. And I would argue (but obviously I don't have data) that Superman causes the greatest lift hill anxiety or second thoughts out of all the coasters, and even greater than Giant Drop.
Also if they made Superman like Manta (Sea World Orlando) we we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion I suspect. I am still kind of wondering why Superman hasn't gotten a repaint yet? It's in it's 15 operating season.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby tribar on July 5th, 2017, 2:34 pm
Batman, easily.
tribar

Postby Muck Finnesota on July 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm
My avatar pretty much sums up my opinion of Superman Ultimate Fluff. Batman is also amongst my favorite of the B&M Inverted layouts.
Keep Eurofighters in Europe
Muck Finnesota

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 6th, 2017, 8:01 am
Well gang, after considering the data, I'm thinking Batman > Superman !

But I still really like Superman and it's #5 in my faves at the park. Again, if Superman were identical to Manta at Sea World Orlando I think Superman > Batman. But that's a big IF :)

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Dan The Coaster Man on July 6th, 2017, 4:59 pm
Batman no contest for me
Dan The Coaster Man

Postby batmanfan80 on July 6th, 2017, 10:12 pm
B&M Inverts and Sitdowns are about the only coasters I can get on with no real discomfort. Not a big fan of flying coasters. Manta is a lot better ride than Pretzelman, but I've never had an awesome time on it again after the first ride. We did a 2nd Manta ride a few hours after the first and it wasn't anywhere as satisfying. It's got a lot more variety than Pretzelman, but no subsequent rides have measured up to the first. Here, I find the pretzel loop increasingly less fun and think the ride is ok but ultimately don't like the flying position much. Thankfully it's single rider line has worked well for us when we've wanted to ride. One of these days I'll try Tatsu, but based on the VR version of it they had at the Polish Fest, it will probably be even tougher on me than Pretzelman or Manta.
batmanfan80

Postby CoasterRiderSC on July 7th, 2017, 1:50 pm
batmanfan80 wrote:B&M Inverts and Sitdowns are about the only coasters I can get on with no real discomfort. Not a big fan of flying coasters. Manta is a lot better ride than Pretzelman, but I've never had an awesome time on it again after the first ride. We did a 2nd Manta ride a few hours after the first and it wasn't anywhere as satisfying. It's got a lot more variety than Pretzelman, but no subsequent rides have measured up to the first. Here, I find the pretzel loop increasingly less fun and think the ride is ok but ultimately don't like the flying position much. Thankfully it's single rider line has worked well for us when we've wanted to ride. One of these days I'll try Tatsu, but based on the VR version of it they had at the Polish Fest, it will probably be even tougher on me than Pretzelman or Manta.

I got to ride Manta 2x or 3x when I was down there. The ride is awesome! I wish our Superman was just like it.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby BCarroll on July 7th, 2017, 11:20 pm
It would be even better if we had Tatsu. Now that is a hell of a ride. If you think Superman's pretzel loop is intense, ride Tatsu in the back row! Tatsu's pretzel loop is taller that Superman's lift for gods sake!
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby CoasterCale on July 15th, 2017, 7:31 pm
Tatsu is the best a flying coaster can be. WIth that being said I like Batman better because it's intense, has numerous inversions and doesn't slow throughout the course.
Check out my Coaster vids
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_o4Mtg8LDHpRuK7rRKMdAQ

It seems like the other side always wins on American Eagle :?
Also, I've ridden Goliath 23 times in one day. HBU? :roll: :P
(Sorry in advance for unnecessary commas and parenthesis every where)
CoasterCale

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 7th, 2017, 12:05 am
Speaking of Batman, does anyone have a playlist of the music they'd play in the station? I don't recall hearing the music anymore which makes me sad.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby RollingCoasting on August 7th, 2017, 12:07 am
RollingCoasting

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 7th, 2017, 12:15 am
No. I thought they used to play Prince from the original movie.
SFGAM_Hog

Postby greatamerica on August 7th, 2017, 1:37 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Speaking of Batman, does anyone have a playlist of the music they'd play in the station? I don't recall hearing the music anymore which makes me sad.

They still play it. I can't remember all of the songs off the top of my head but here is a few:
Batman Station Music: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... KSllQOGx3Z
greatamerica

Postby SFGAM_Hog on August 7th, 2017, 9:56 am
greatamerica wrote:
SFGAM_Hog wrote:Speaking of Batman, does anyone have a playlist of the music they'd play in the station? I don't recall hearing the music anymore which makes me sad.

They still play it. I can't remember all of the songs off the top of my head but here is a few:
Batman Station Music: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... KSllQOGx3Z

Thank you so much!
SFGAM_Hog

Postby CoasterRiderSC on August 7th, 2017, 11:02 am
SFGAM_Hog wrote:No. I thought they used to play Prince from the original movie.

Was it Seal (and not Prince) ?

CoasterRiderSC

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum