Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

Minor Updates, Rumors, and Happenings

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby Ilovthevu' on June 29th, 2017, 10:03 pm
^I mentioned Mr. Freeze because if the coaster was sent to St. Louis, I was comparing the 2, and why V2 would be pointless at St. Louis. I saw a picture online that is a Six Flags picture of V2, and than it says stl in the link, but Raging Bull also has that stl in a picture link, so that doesn't mean nothing.. I thought Stl would mean St. Louis.

https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/ ... l_7970.jpg
https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/ ... l_5244.jpg

For V2, I really enjoy that coaster. For me (not for other people probably), it's in my top 3 coasters at the park. I like launched coasters such as Joker's Jinx, Mr. Freeze, V2, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Top Thrill. Never tried Tempesto or Full Throttle. Superman though at Magic Mountain, I do NOT like. Too forceless.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby RollingCoasting on June 30th, 2017, 2:45 pm
Very minor update: A new game has replaced the rope ladder game in Orleans Place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vGQW0BtFMY
RollingCoasting

Postby Goku1910 on June 30th, 2017, 7:59 pm
doubleb wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:What does Mr freeze have to do with V2? I don't get why everyone complains over the loss of V2, Do you want just one launched coaster in our park just for the sake of having a launched coaster? Or do you legitimately enjoy it?

I honestly don't care for it either way.Another thing I hear all the time is that the park needs a launch coaster in the lineup. We don't need any particular type of ride, if it's fun who cares.

All of the top parks have launch coasters. If you want to be considered a top end park you need to have a diverse line up, included is a launch coaster.

So the park has a checklist like a roller coaster tycoon game of things we must have? Cedar Point is a top park and has multiple launched coasters....Doesn't change the fact that wicked twister still sucks. It also has my favorite launched which would be Maverick.

Ilovthevu' wrote:^I mentioned Mr. Freeze because if the coaster was sent to St. Louis, I was comparing the 2, and why V2 would be pointless at St. Louis. I saw a picture online that is a Six Flags picture of V2, and than it says stl in the link, but Raging Bull also has that stl in a picture link, so that doesn't mean nothing.. I thought Stl would mean St. Louis.

https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/ ... l_7970.jpg
https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/ ... l_5244.jpg

For V2, I really enjoy that coaster. For me (not for other people probably), it's in my top 3 coasters at the park. I like launched coasters such as Joker's Jinx, Mr. Freeze, V2, Backlot Stunt Coaster, and Top Thrill. Never tried Tempesto or Full Throttle. Superman though at Magic Mountain, I do NOT like. Too forceless.

Again, I don't understand the obsession with V2. Vertical Velocity is a meh ride at best. Would I agree to have at least one launched coaster in the park? Sure, if it's actually good. I have been on Mr Freeze and it's far better than V2 even if it is still a short ride experience. I still think Wicked Twister is worse than V2 though. I wouldn't care at all if V2 left our lineup in the next few years.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Goku1910 on July 1st, 2017, 10:46 am
I'll make it clear that I don't have the highest confidence in Six Flags rides selection in recent years. I'm well aware of Larson loopers and clones and I have feared for years they would come to Great America but to our luck they haven't. Or people at Six Flags corporate office know they wouldn't fit well in a high capacity park like ours.

Overall, we're a well rounded park and the loss of V2 wouldn't be so detrimental. I don't see it as a critical component and I doubt discovery kingdoms visitors do either. The V2 there is a bigger joke than ours.

(Joker is the exception, I still think it's a gimmick ride)
Goku1910

Postby Wisco Woody on July 1st, 2017, 3:38 pm
I've seen no evidence that Six Flags have bought or even talked about a Skywarp, and your prediction of Great America definitely getting a superloop for 2017 was false. However I do expect the cloning to continue, particularly through their current partnerships with S&S/RMC, Zamperla, and Sally Corp dark rides. In fact, unless next year brings a large Waterpark expenditure, our turn at the Zamperla Discovery and Endeavor clones is probably next year, which I would be very happy with.

The 4D's might not be the same level of quality and long term draw as the RMC coasters and larger ground up coasters like X-Flight and Full Throttle, but their initial return on investment is clearly high, and they are advertising it as much if not more than the much more expensive Justice Leagues, which are truly great crowd pleasers and guaranteed draws for years to come. I expect the Zamperla thrill rides to prove as successful across the chain as they are at Over Texas.

Six Flags corporate has been treating our Park in particular as a top priority in yearly expenditure, and even if you wish that you could live right next to Magic Mountain or Cedar Point, the fact is you probably don't or you wouldn't spend so much time on this forum. And while the Park is still definitely sub-par when it comes to dining and entertainment, the overall coaster and ride experience is better than ever and will only continue to improve if they continue their current rate of additions to our Park.
Wisco Woody

Postby Wisco Woody on July 1st, 2017, 4:22 pm
Where is your proof that Six Flags bought a Skywarp?
Wisco Woody

Postby Wisco Woody on July 1st, 2017, 5:46 pm
But you still have absolutely zero evidence that Six Flags is purchasing Skywarps. You also forget the fact that if Six Flags is continuing to work with S&S, then they are almost certainly still working with RMC and they have provided the chain with rides that are certainly not mere clones, and will likely continue to do so.
Wisco Woody

Postby SFGAmFan12 on July 1st, 2017, 6:17 pm
Sorry if it’s been posted previously but what happened to the finger print scanners at the entrance? I can’t believe they are using just normal barcode scanners and not verifying the pass holder.
SFGAmFan12

Postby BCarroll on July 1st, 2017, 7:10 pm
doubleb obviously has no idea what he's talking about in regards to the Skywarp that Six Flags supposedly bought. His main objective is to shoot down everything he can about SF and GAm. Shoup/doubleb is just a virus to the site and is making me want to stop visiting because of his over-dramatic complaining.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 1st, 2017, 7:13 pm
^doubleb received his information about the Skywarp from FParker (Read 2018 speculation page 3), and I trust FParker with ride information. I don't trust a lot of people, but FParker knows a lot of stuff.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 1st, 2017, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby RollingCoasting on July 1st, 2017, 7:18 pm
SFGAmFan12 wrote:Sorry if it’s been posted previously but what happened to the finger print scanners at the entrance? I can’t believe they are using just normal barcode scanners and not verifying the pass holder.

Did you happen to enter near the right-most corner of the scanners? I know some of those don't have the finger print scanning. Seems odd to remove it all together
RollingCoasting

Postby B&MGuy35 on July 1st, 2017, 7:22 pm
Technically six flags is working with RMC. They're the ones that make the 4D's for S&S aren't they?

Edit:
Nevermind they contract it out now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B&MGuy35

Postby SFGAmFan12 on July 1st, 2017, 7:43 pm
RollingCoasting wrote:
SFGAmFan12 wrote:Sorry if it’s been posted previously but what happened to the finger print scanners at the entrance? I can’t believe they are using just normal barcode scanners and not verifying the pass holder.

Did you happen to enter near the right-most corner of the scanners? I know some of those don't have the finger print scanning. Seems odd to remove it all together

I went last Sunday at 5:30PM. I did enter towards the right, but all the way across the scanners were covered and they were using handheld readers (just like they used to scan the season pass for parking) instead of the finger print scanners. I didn’t know if this was normal for this year but it seemed odd given that no pictures are on the pass either. There’s no way to verify the owner of the pass is the one using it.
SFGAmFan12

Postby staticshadows on July 1st, 2017, 8:45 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 1st, 2017, 9:04 pm
^They have been using them recently this year though - maybe 2 weeks ago I used it. If they aren't supposed to be using it, than they should get fined by IL. It just should not take the amount of time it takes in order to get into that park with those things. Disney has them, and has a lot more of them because they realize how long each person takes. Either have a TON of them. Each worker looks at 4 at a time, or just stick with the pictures which was never a problem.

Do this:
https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/ ... dhaber.jpg
https://blog-cdn.touringplans.com/wp-co ... G_2958.jpg

or of course, the other solution is to open the gates at 9:45 am, so these stupid fingerprints don't back up the line so much.

This park is NOT Universal or Disney. We don't have $500 season passes. The only reason that stupid stuff started was because people would buy tickets to Disney for 10 days, and than people would sell the remaining days on probably the internet. How DIsney works is that the more days you buy, the cheaper each day becomes. Let's say people went to Disney for only 5 days, and sold the other 5 days on the internet. Disney didn't like this because Disney has to make all the money, and no one else can make money. This is just stupid for SFGAm.

What they've done is that you don't wait to get your picture taking for let's say 15-30 minutes ONCE, and than everytime you come to the park, you wait 15-40 min to get in when all these finger things are working. It's ridiculous.

Either buy a LOT more scanners, open the gates earlier, or go back to the pictures.
Ilovthevu'

Postby BCarroll on July 1st, 2017, 9:27 pm
I think they should go back to using the pictures. Way quicker entry times and that way SF doesn't have to purchase more scanners.
Been to may theme parks, in many countries. However, SFGAm is my home park and I love it!
BCarroll

Postby Coaster Justin on July 1st, 2017, 10:25 pm
BCarroll wrote:I think they should go back to using the pictures. Way quicker entry times and that way SF doesn't have to purchase more scanners.

Smart idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T_hz72EN7A
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

Postby Goku1910 on July 2nd, 2017, 11:31 am
doubleb wrote:
Goku1910 wrote:I'll make it clear that I don't have the highest confidence in Six Flags rides selection in recent years. I'm well aware of Larson loopers and clones and I have feared for years they would come to Great America but to our luck they haven't. Or people at Six Flags corporate office know they wouldn't fit well in a high capacity park like ours.

Overall, we're a well rounded park and the loss of V2 wouldn't be so detrimental. I don't see it as a critical component and I doubt discovery kingdoms visitors do either. The V2 there is a bigger joke than ours.

(Joker is the exception, I still think it's a gimmick ride)

The loss of V2 and no launch replacement at all or non quality launch replacement would be detrimental. SFGAm and its homers on here think of themselves as a top end park. I disagree, b/c the line up is full of clones and short coasters. The Joker does nothing to boost the lineup to compare with other top end parks and is a spruced up carnival ride. Btw, the placement of loops has nothing to do with capacity or the park attendance. GAdv got one and they have more attendance than GAm. GAm admitted they were suppose to get a loop in the season preview talk thing and somehow they wiggled out of it. I see Skywarps coming to non loop parks in short order. The ride is too good for SF to resist costing just 2M, as a better alternative to loops. Despite all the buzz on SF's tease for 2018, I see it being mainly clones of the same stuff. in my opinion, there is no chance they are done cloning 4D's and Justice Leagues, which in their thinking are the marquee attractions of the chain. I also see probably 2 more Discoveries and 1 more skyscreamer, but cloning flats is okay for the most part, though variety would be welcomed.

Ridership of V2 is down so the GP clearly no longer cares about it. Crowds were decent yesterday and yet V2 never got passed a station wait. The park doesn't "need" a launched coaster according to your little checklist of things a particular park must have, you are just making excuses for SFGAm not to remove it.

People have been clamoring for Flumes to be removed due to their age, BUT WAIT, that means we'd no longer have the flume ride that is on that checklist of things we must have. We can't have that happen..... :roll:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby ilrider on July 2nd, 2017, 11:56 am
doubleb wrote:
BCarroll wrote:I think they should go back to using the pictures. Way quicker entry times and that way SF doesn't have to purchase more scanners.

SF should just take pictures at pass processing, but not put them on the passes. Just have the picture come up on a screen when they scan it. That's how Cedar Fair does it. I get comments on my photo. Also, you can scan the picture in yourself online when you buy or renew a pass. If it's a new pass you just need to stop in to the processing center for one time visual verification and they will let you change your picture if you want to. The finger print idea was always suspect to me. SF tried to ease people's discomfort with statements about it. They still had a partial finger print of you on file that they had to match for verification, which makes some people uncomfortable.

I did not like using my fingerprint one bit, and I told the park so in surveys, but I also hated how much longer it took people to get into the park. Really dumb idea, whomever at corporate came up with it. Just scanning the passes with the handheld scanner obviously is a ton faster, even though they do not have the photo anymore. Having to wait for the fingerprint to be accepted then also scan the pass increased the wait time to get in significantly. Common sense should rule the day in business with something like that.

CF model makes sense.
ilrider

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 2nd, 2017, 1:34 pm
Goku1910 wrote:

Ridership of V2 is down so the GP clearly no longer cares about it. Crowds were decent yesterday and yet V2 never got passed a station wait. The park doesn't "need" a launched coaster according to your little checklist of things a particular park must have, you are just making excuses for SFGAm not to remove it.

People have been clamoring for Flumes to be removed due to their age, BUT WAIT, that means we'd no longer have the flume ride that is on that checklist of things we must have. We can't have that happen..... :roll:

The GP really must hate Demon and American Eagle than because on coasterqueue (right now), they are the only ones with 10 min waits while every other coasters is 30 or 35 min. Joker or the indoor Batman is not listed for some reason.

V2 has the one of the biggest stations in the park. They sometimes load people in there like a canned sardine. So, a station wait doesn't mean diddly. Viper is the other one with a huge station. Everything else is kind of small. You say station wait for Goliath, and you probably get on in 5 minutes. You say station wait for Whizzer, and you get on in 5 minutes. V2, a FULL station wait, you are waiting awhile. You can have 10-12 people in front of you (in each row) + 14 rows of that. . It's not 5 minutes with the full station they pack the people in there. Sure, sometimes they don't pack the people in there like a canned sardine, but not always. A station wait doesn't mean much for V2. A whole 150 people station wait compared to 50 people in the Batman station wait.

It's plain and simple. Demon should be the next target of the park - for it to leave. American Eagle, I can say well it's 2 coasters, so that's why the wait time is so small. Get another family friend coaster already that people will like, and replace the Demon.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on July 2nd, 2017, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 2nd, 2017, 1:39 pm
Dumb counter argument. Whizzer station wait is long thanks to groups taking forever to coordinate and viper is...well...viper with no or terrible grouper.

Station waits at V2 only take a long time because it has a cool down period before it can launch again. So even if the crew finishes quickly no matter what they still cannot launch. So why you even compare station waits on these rides is dumb because you're not taking their respective capacities into account.

Viper - 2 trains
Eagle - 2 trains
Demon - 2, sometimes 3
Goliath - 2 trains
V2 - 1 train that can only launch every ~2-3 minutes.
Last edited by Goku1910 on July 2nd, 2017, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 2nd, 2017, 1:43 pm
Your point is that no one rides V2. No one rides V2. It's only a station wait. Yes they do. You don't ride it. You just whine about it. Whizzer is not long at all. You actually have a flash pass person looking at the lines itself.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on July 2nd, 2017, 1:45 pm
It's just not a very good coaster in general, it could be replaced with anything and be better. Joker should have gone there.

Capacity is garbage, downtime is high, and it's not even a good launched coaster.

And although I agree that Demon should be next on the chopping block you can trust me on this. With current management, it's not happening.
Goku1910

Postby Ilovthevu' on July 2nd, 2017, 1:49 pm
^They should have put Joker in County Fair games area, and called it Wonder Woman. Than, East River Crawler would still be there, and the Orbit would still be there. They could have put a KMG Afterburner where Ragin Cajun is, and just spread some of those games elsewhere. That area is a big waste of space.
Ilovthevu'

Postby Coaster Justin on July 2nd, 2017, 2:00 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:^They should have put Joker in County Fair games area, and called it Wonder Woman. Than, East River Crawler would still be there, and the Orbit would still be there. They could have put a KMG Afterburner where Ragin Cajun is, and just spread some of those games elsewhere. That area is a big waste of space.

How about put Joker where King Chaos is?
926 Coasters around the World! Countdown to 1000!

http://sfgamworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15272

Runner Up of the 2017 SFGAmWorld Elimination Thread
Coaster Justin

PreviousNext

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum