Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

When will different rides close?

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby American Eagle 1981 on June 28th, 2017, 5:03 pm
I want to get everyone's opinion on when different attractions will bite the dust. For example, Eagle was in the mix of rides people thought would be leaving in the near future. But with the repaint it doesn't look that way, I'd say it's safe through 2020. V2 I'd say has another season max. What does everyone think?
American Eagle 1981

Postby RollingCoasting on June 28th, 2017, 5:15 pm
Copied and pasted one of my posts from another thread with some slight changes

Could be gone by 2020
Pictorium - Not a ride but I think it's time is up. Rumored to have no shows this year at all. I bet it'll be demolished mid/late 2017 and eventually house a new attraction for 2018
Demon - Not very popular at non-peak times of the year, rough if not ridden correctly, probably getting harder to maintain
Condor - I hate to admit it, but it's not the most reliable ride in the park and is not very popular. Really only has a full queue during the final week of RTS
V2 - Maintenance, could be a new ride for a smaller park
Logger's Run/Yankee Clipper - (Might be) getting harder to maintain, takes up a fair bit of space
Buccaneer Battle - Declining in popularity. Seriously, it only runs like 4 boats nowadays...
King Chaos - Maintenance, Good spot for a new flat
MAYBE Big Easy Balloons - To make way for new rides

Could be gone by 2025
Whizzer - Maintenance. I think it'll play out longer than Demon and V2 but that ACE plaque isn't guaranteeing it a safe spot forever
Ricochet - HUSS rides are slowing starting to disappear (The company may soon, too)
Triple Play - Read Above
Kidzopolis - Maybe a new kiddie area somewhere else and GAR brought back (With new track, of course) in Kidzopolis' spot (this one is based on wishful thinking)

Could be gone by 2030
Joker - This one is just a guess. It might be hard to maintain, it doesn't have the best capacity, and will probably have lost some popularity
Superman - Popular ride yes, but it sits on a fair bit of space and might lose some popularity to other rides over the years
Batman - Please no one kill me for this one. I do not in anyway want Batman to go, but who knows what will happen by 2030. It will be 38 years old and probably not be rough or hard to maintain, but you never know

I am NOT saying any of these WILL be removed, they could all be here in 2090, but this is what I think may happen. (Except I don't think they'd remove ALL of the rides I listed for 2020 in that timeframe)
RollingCoasting

Postby staticshadows on June 28th, 2017, 5:20 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
staticshadows

Postby maxwellt on June 28th, 2017, 5:29 pm
Well, I mean you did completely gut out soldier Field...so much that it was taken off the national historic landmark page....so I don't see that happening, but hey I gotta say having front row season tickets for lambeau right at the goal line is pretty freaking amazing :) Anyways back onto coasters lol

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby maxwellt on June 28th, 2017, 5:31 pm
Double post but it was also one of the only renovations (and maybe even only) that decreased seating capacity.... By like 6000...rip bears

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 28th, 2017, 5:55 pm
What I think doesn't really matter, but if I were the park with roller coasters, the first one to go is Demon. 2nd one to go is Viper. 3rd one to go is Whizzer based on age, based on the manufacture being gone, and capacity. Finally, the 4th one is American Eagle. They think of that ride as a gem or something, but I think it's disappointing compared to so many other real wooden coasters out there.

First water ride to go should be Buccaneer Battle. When they finally find suitable replacements, than only you take out Logger's Run / Yankee Clipper. I think they should go with something like Journey to Atlantis by Mack at Sea World. Forget Intamin with a boat ride after the Shoot the Rapids problem. I think the Kiddieland Log Jammer was also a wonderful ride - especially with the concrete area. However, it doesn't get you really wet. It doesn't make sense to put a water ride that doesn't get you wet really. Barely, wet.. So, I say Mack water FLUME instead. They bought a Mack, but they bought the wrong one.. Roaring Rapids should stay for awhile.

Complaints I have on some rides are:

*Chubasco's wheels are too hard to spin (compared to something like Santa's Village Snowballs - so I stopped riding it).

*Fiddler's Fling - just gets kind of boring as compared to the Hometown Fun Machine which is so much fun when the park doesn't mess up the program on it. It's almost like Fiddler's Fling is so intense that it's so boring..

*Giant Drop - The lines are dying for the ride, and the carnival versions are much more intense. The only real ride I fear for my body parts on. Won't ride it. Other than Kentucky Kingdom, I have heard of some other parks having cut cables, so forget it. For a ride that cost so much money (Millions and millions), it's not getting the people like it did before anymore.

*King Chaos - Harnesses hurt. Boring ride. The Joker is supposed to be the superior ride right across the way than this.. What's the point of this ride anymore??

*Revolution - Too wimpy. If it was full spin really fast all the time, I would ride it all the time, but it's just too wimpy. I blame the program more than the ride itself. Maybe, they should just try not spinning the ride, and make it just swing back and forth like a KMG Freak Out. Anything is better than the program they have now.

*Orbit - I didn't have complaints at all, but they took it out, and left the junk of King Chaos still at the park.. Geesh... If not insult to injury, SFStL gets 2 rides in which you go upside down, but you don't feel like you are upside down (Enterprise + Xcalibur) Does Six Flags make any sense at all??? The Last Six Flags Enterprise is at a park that has a ride so similar to it. What's the point? The last Six Flags enterprise ride should be at any park OTHER than Over Texas or St. Louis. They should add a Flying Bobs in Highland Flings spot, and move the enterprise to Magic Mountain.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 29th, 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 28th, 2017, 6:20 pm
^That doesn't bother me having a Huss regular Frisbee and a Zamperla Giant Discovery. A regular Frisbee is supposed to be more like a Zero Gravity / Gravitron / Round-Up where you are pinned to the seat / wall. A Giant Discovery is more about the height, and wind. They don't spin very much at all.

What I think is really stupid like you are saying with that Zamperla Hawk is that Discovery Kingdom has a Larson Looper and a Zamperla Hawk. That's just so stupid to have both. What in the world are they thinking?
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby FParker185 on June 28th, 2017, 11:49 pm
I would sacrifice SFGAm in a fraction of a heartbeat for a new stadium. Stadium can't be any worse run than SFGAm
Favorite Wood Coasters: The Voyage, Ravine Flyer II, Thunderhead, Balder
Favorite Steel: Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Olympia Looping
Parks visited: 222, Coasters Ridden: Steel: 822, Wood: 178, Total: 1000
FParker185

Postby stergmi on June 29th, 2017, 8:47 am
doubleb wrote:
FParker185 wrote:I would sacrifice SFGAm in a fraction of a heartbeat for a new stadium. Stadium can't be any worse run than SFGAm

No stadium, as a person who doesn't give a crap about the Bears I don't want to pay for their stadium. All stadium deals are a big screw you to tax players, corporate welfare at it's worst.

I hate agreeing with you. I do love the Bears but yeah. I'm not willing to give up G-Am for a stadium nor do I want to be paying for their stadium. Let them move to Gary before that happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stergmi

Postby Viper 88 on June 29th, 2017, 9:31 am
I personally do not want to see any of the Huss rides go as they are the most fluffy friendly. That being said King Chaos can go as I think it is unsafe the way it shakes. Ricochet is kind of boring so that could go as well, it would also free up a nice plot of land. DDD can go and we can have the pedestal back for another ride by Eagle. TDK can go and if they used the space better they could fit in 2 maybe 3 rides. Ropes spot is vacant decent size area for something. Remove Revy for a bigger Pendulum. Go karts gone 3 more rides in the spot. Relocate JWR to area under tent by Eagle. Bucky gone 2 in its place or a custom revamp of sky whirl only 2 arms would be cool at least it would be something. I would like to see Superman go and a floorless coaster come in but have a barrel roll over the access road into a cobra roll by the pond/lake back into another barrel roll toget back into the park. As far as dates next 5-15 years. Oh and absolutely would not sacrifice the park for the bears! 1 Not a sports guy and 2 6 Flags is really the only decent thing to do in this state I'm gonna get flack but DGAF!
Viper 88

Postby American Eagle 1981 on June 29th, 2017, 11:24 am
How far back is the park allowed to go? I know there's the restriction with rides close to Washington so assuming DDD closes, what could replace it?
American Eagle 1981

Postby staticshadows on June 29th, 2017, 11:38 am
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby American Eagle 1981 on June 29th, 2017, 12:17 pm
Woah! That's great, I always thought nothing new could be added in the far back. My predictions are that this is V2's last year. There's an overwhelming amount of rumors surrounding it so it seems like a safe bet. The entire Mardi Gras section seems disposable to me. It wouldn't be hard to re-theme it and remove the existing attractions (KC and BigEasyBalloons) in order to add some new rides. This might be 2019 or 2020. Now that the Joker is there if they re-themed half of Orleans Place and Mardi Gras it could connect Superman, Dark Knight and Joker to make one big DC area. Then in the center of Mardi Gras a giant discovery probably themed to Wonder Woman could be added. In V2's plot of land I want to see a launch coaster that the park needs. I'm not sure what SF would go with, possibly a Sky Rocket II or something like Full Throttle if they cleared even more land.
American Eagle 1981

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 29th, 2017, 1:57 pm
I think these rides will go
2018 - V2 - this ride is too unreliable, low ridership, low capacity, etc. -- will be replaced by the Mack Power Splash
2019 - Giant Drop (see my signature) - low ridership, 20+ years old; could be replaced by Sky Screamer
2020 - King Chaos - as mentioned, with Joker here what's the point of this ride, plus it has HIGHER height requirement than Joker - there's NEVER a line for this ride. I would almost prefer The Edge to return :)

2022 - Ricochet - old ride and low ridership; to be replaced by ride like Wonder Woman's whip from SFOT
2023 - Sky Tower - very low ridership, would be great place for Sky Screamer
2024 - Hometown Junk Machine - this ride takes WAY too long to load and is pretty much the same as Fiddler's Fling but way tamer. This ride has low capacity compared to Fiddler's. The only thing this ride has going for it is it looks cool at night with the lights on. A new flat goes here
2025 - Eagle -> possible RMC ironhorse to make a ride even better than Twisted Colossus
2026 - Demon -> will be 50 years old (when considering Turn of the Century); possible Chance ride like Lightning Run
2028 - those annoying Go Karts - 2 flat rides go here
2030 - Both flumes come out for a medium B&M Dive Coaster
2033 - Superman - will be 30 years old - we'll FINALLY get a nice B&M giga coaster or a floorless looper like Kraken with a sweet inversion right over the parking lot!

Rides that are not going anywhere (at least not in the next 15+ years)
Batman - ACE landmark and still popular
Whizzer - classic family coaster that is still very popular
Raging Bull - THE most popular ride and huge capacity
Goliath - extremely popular ride and a "triple record breaker"
X-FIight - popular ride
Dark Knight (fills 2 niches: family coaster and dark ride)
Joker - brand new
Justice League - 1 year old
-
Last edited by CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Single Day Ride Count Record

50 rides 8/17/2018 (Without Flash Pass - Coasters After Dark)

---- "Here we go, kids!! Here we go!!"
CoasterRiderSC

Postby tribar on June 29th, 2017, 2:10 pm
I don't think Goliath is going anywhere for a while either.

And Wrigley Field is an iconic stadium that just received a renovation. People travel from all over the country to attend a game there.
tribar

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 29th, 2017, 2:13 pm
tribar wrote:I don't think Goliath is going anywhere for a while either.

And Wrigley Field is an iconic stadium that just received a renovation. People travel from all over the country to attend a game there.

Tribar - thanks for the reminder about my #3 ride at the park! I had a mental lapse. As for Wrigley field, I removed my comments about that. Yes, people DO travel to see it, but that doesn't mean it's not time for a new one. I'd argue that Yankee Stadium was even more iconic and even that was replaced.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby Wisco Woody on June 29th, 2017, 7:31 pm
V2 is in no way unreliable, it is open nearly 100% of the time the past 2 years and I've never seen it down but once for an hour in that time. X-Flight and Superman are both down a lot more often, have both been closed for entire days in a row, and as a result their total ridership is likely no more than 30% higher than V2, and yet I never see anyone call X-Flight unreliable despite its daily breakdowns. That being said, I do see V2 being removed within 3 years along with the flumes to make room for 3 general launched coaster options.

1. If they only remove V2, a Mack Power Splash, Premier Skyrocket II, or S&S launched El Loco seems likely. 2. A new Skyrocket III layout or Mack LSM blitz to compete with Silver Dollar City and Maverick at CP. 3. If we're lucky, an LSM launched mega-hyper or bullet coaster by S&S or Mack/Intamin probably featuring a non-inverting loop or top hat of some kind.
Wisco Woody

Postby anewman35 on June 29th, 2017, 7:56 pm
I don't have any reason to think that Joker or Justice League are going anywhere, but it's not totally unheard of for new rides to last a lot less than anybody would predict when they go in (examples at our parents: Shockwave, Space Shuttle America, Ragin' Cajun). I can certainly see a world in 10 years or whatever where there's all sorts of cheap home VR stuff and it makes Justice League seem so lame that it goes away...
anewman35

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 29th, 2017, 8:12 pm
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I think these rides will go 2024 - Hometown Junk Machine - this ride takes WAY too long to load and is pretty much the same as Fiddler's Fling but way tamer. This ride has low capacity compared to Fiddler's. The only thing this ride has going for it is it looks cool at night with the lights on. A new flat goes here-

Fiddler will die faster. The ride that makes Fiddler is a company that is no longer in business. Eli Bridge for Scrambler parts is in Illinois even, and Eli Scramblers are everywhere. They are almost at every Six Flags park in the US - except Georgia. Even the park that doesn't like flats (Magic Mountain) has one. Look at the mess of East River Crawler. It's been broken so much, and it's a Shawtkopf. Parts are so hard to get when that thing does breakdown.

Someone might say than why does Cedar Point have an Enterprise, and a Calypso still? They aren't having many problems. That Enterprise is a Huss version - a company that is still in business, and the Calypso is a Mack which also is still in business. It's easier to get parts from a company that is still in business than one that is not. I doubt that they even have a ton of spare parts for flat rides.

They took out Orbit because it's a Shrawtkopf, and parts are harder to get even though St. Louis has an Orbit SPARE ride that came from Fiesta Texas.. Whizzer is another Shrawtkopf ride. When I just passed by Fiddler's I didn't see a huge line to warrant it guaranteed to stay at the park especially with the parts problem with that ride. That's why last year it didn't open till like July. It's almost like Fiddler's might get fired. One more mess up with Fiddler's, and it's probably gone. They should buy a Tilt-a-Whirl for that spot. Much more fun. And Six Flags did just more recently buy Tilt-A-Whirls for Fiesta Texas, and Over Georgia (Over Georgia's is a much better / thrilling version in my opinion for them to buy. NOT Fiesta Texas version. I don't care for teh G5's. The OLDER the Tilt-A-Whirl, the better. More thrilling forces.). Cedar Fair even has Tilt-A-Whirls such at Cedar Point, Dorney Park, and Michigan's Adventure.

Someone said about Kiddieland in some conversation, too bad SFGAm didn't buy that Tilt-A-Whirl, that carousel (A fast and fun vintage carousel I would ride multiple times at Kiddieland. Not a slow, slow, slow, carousel), the Pipeline water slide for the waterpark, and the Polyp someone mentioned before. I know that Polyp was really OLD, but that was great compared to the East River Crawler. That ride went to Lake Winnie in TN, and is called the Sea Warrior now.
Ilovthevu'

Postby JaminOut on June 29th, 2017, 10:07 pm
^Cedar Point doesn't have a tilt-a-whirl, it's just a running joke.

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on June 29th, 2017, 10:17 pm
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 8:32 am
Wisco Woody wrote:V2 is in no way unreliable, it is open nearly 100% of the time the past 2 years and I've never seen it down but once for an hour in that time. X-Flight and Superman are both down a lot more often, have both been closed for entire days in a row, and as a result their total ridership is likely no more than 30% higher than V2, and yet I never see anyone call X-Flight unreliable despite its daily breakdowns. That being said, I do see V2 being removed within 3 years along with the flumes to make room for 3 general launched coaster options.

1. If they only remove V2, a Mack Power Splash, Premier Skyrocket II, or S&S launched El Loco seems likely. 2. A new Skyrocket III layout or Mack LSM blitz to compete with Silver Dollar City and Maverick at CP. 3. If we're lucky, an LSM launched mega-hyper or bullet coaster by S&S or Mack/Intamin probably featuring a non-inverting loop or top hat of some kind.

Woody, thanks for keeping me honest. Perhaps V2 "seems" unreliable because it's went down a few times when I was in line. You are absolutely correct about X-Flight (my fave ride!) going down, as well as Superman. However, those rides are way more popular than V2. But point taken about the perceived "unreliability" of V2.

As for a new launch coaster, something like Full Throttle would be awesome! BTW, I had to study photos of Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK to understand exactly what a "non-inverting loop" is !

CoasterRiderSC

Postby CoasterRiderSC on June 30th, 2017, 8:35 am
Ilovthevu' wrote:
CoasterRiderSC wrote:I think these rides will go 2024 - Hometown Junk Machine - this ride takes WAY too long to load and is pretty much the same as Fiddler's Fling but way tamer. This ride has low capacity compared to Fiddler's. The only thing this ride has going for it is it looks cool at night with the lights on. A new flat goes here-

Fiddler will die faster. The ride that makes Fiddler is a company that is no longer in business. Eli Bridge for Scrambler parts is in Illinois even, and Eli Scramblers are everywhere. They are almost at every Six Flags park in the US - except Georgia. Even the park that doesn't like flats (Magic Mountain) has one. Look at the mess of East River Crawler. It's been broken so much, and it's a Shawtkopf. Parts are so hard to get when that thing does breakdown.

You raise a valid point about a company being out of business. I think my issue with Hometown is that it takes FOREVER to load that ride and the capacity is low. But aren't there companies that are making spare parts for these old Schwartzkopf rides? Somewhere on this forum, I believe I read that such a company was making parts for our classic Whizzer.

CoasterRiderSC

Postby JaminOut on June 30th, 2017, 11:19 am
Whizzer Whiz Kid wrote:Yes they do...
https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/rides/tilt-a-whirl
I rode it in 2015.

I'll shut up now...

I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby RobSFGAm on June 30th, 2017, 12:35 pm
Wonder how long a ride like Roaring Rapids can last (concrete cracks) and maintenance has to be getting up there since it is over 30 years old. Just saying, not other reason besides the scope of having to rebuild vs replace if it ever comes to that due to age. Sits on a large section of land too.
RobSFGAm

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum