Great America
Roller Coasters
Rides
Hurricane Harbor
Water Slides
Water Attractions
Advertisement

2018 rumors, thoughts and speculation

Talk about anything that has to do with Six Flags Great America and Hurricane Harbor here.
Postby maxwellt on June 16th, 2017, 11:28 am
It's about that time of the year again! Nothing too much is being said at this point, but in no time things should be heating up. So y'all know the drill, use this for some 2018 rumors and thoughts. Of course we got the joker in 2017, so it may be interesting to see what 2018 will have to offer!
Last edited by maxwellt on June 16th, 2017, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxwellt

Postby RollingCoasting on June 16th, 2017, 11:56 am
6 different predictions of mine:

1. Pictorium demolished later this year in favor of a water coaster for 2018

2. Family flat pack: Skyscreamer, Tilt-a-Whirl, and flying scooters around County Fair, possibly where Buccaneer Battle currently stands

3. Zamperla Giant Discovery.... somewhere....

4. King Chaos closes in late 2017 and is replaced with a Superloop or Zamperla Hawk... could also go in Trailblazer's spot

5. New light show similar to Glow in the Park

6. Makeover of Skull Island or new family slides

Basically I'm guessing it'll be a water park addition or flats
RollingCoasting

Postby staticshadows on June 16th, 2017, 1:00 pm
Edit: Removed from forum.
Last edited by staticshadows on July 8th, 2017, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staticshadows

Postby Tardis1972 on June 16th, 2017, 1:12 pm
My guess right now is a SkyScreamer or flat ride package.
Tardis1972

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 16th, 2017, 2:03 pm
What I don't mind. Not necessary what I really want.

* Zamperla Discovery replacing Yankee Clipper leaving V2 alone. A Chance Revolution - the permanent model for the KMG Afterburner / KMG Freak Out is what the park really needs. So many carnivals in IL have realized that people LOVE the KMG Afterburner / KMG Freak Out, yet Six Flags hasn't put one Chance Revolution in. Cedar Fair has though, and so has the Mall of America now. Carnivals that have a Freak Out or Afterburner in IL are Windy City Amusements, D&J Amusements, Modern Midways, Fantasy Amusements, Astro Amusements, All Star Amusements, Alpine Amusements, and than Rainbow Valley in Wisconsin.
A video of a Chance Revolution / KMG Afterburner at Hersheypark: https://youtu.be/a_h07EJLk38?t=1m

The idea that just because you get a large flat with 50 people like a Zamperla Discovery / Max Air doesn't always mean that the waiting time won't be higher for each cycle. At Cedar Point, with their Max Air, it takes awhile to get that ride going. It's because you have more people to deal with - 50 people at a time. You can't expect a flat ride to go with 50 people in 30 seconds. It's not going to happen. That's what they say is the capacity for Max Air - 1000 for 1 hour lol That's not going to happen. Roller Coasters with 32 people, they can't even send them within a minute. Revolution at Great America which is a Huss Frisbee gets 40 people. No way does that ride take 30 seconds to go. It probably takes 2 minutes at least to load.

*S&S new version of Arrow Suspended coaster getting rid of Demon.

Than, there was a random person writing on wikipedia awhile ago about them adding another Sally ride (Amazing Ride of Gumball) in Orleans Place - bumper cars building I would say. They just did the roof of the bumper cars building last year. They can always extend the building of the bumper cars in back of it + the arcade. St. Louis, Over Texas, and now Over Georgia have taken out their bumper cars.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 16th, 2017, 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby maxwellt on June 16th, 2017, 2:30 pm
I think if the skycoaster left, that would be plenty for a giant discovery. And then revolution can leave for maybe a flying eagles ride, or maybe a skyscreamer. Idk if this is true, but I heard prices for the skycoaster are down compared to last year, so that could be a sign of removal coming soon

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
maxwellt

Postby Goku1910 on June 16th, 2017, 10:12 pm
My opinions on rides that should die already:

Rue Le Dodge (out of date)
Demon
Buccaneer Battle
King Chaos.

Not a ride, but why is Pictorium being painted and left standing the last few seasons? Ever since Screams and Dreams it's been idle with the exception of the re-runs of Susan Rosen during Fright Fest. :roll:
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby RollingCoasting on June 16th, 2017, 10:45 pm
While I do enjoy Rue Le Dodge, that's probably one of the few spots we could squeeze in a Zamperla Giant Discovery without major modifications (ie. Joker)

Metropolis Park.png

Not 100% if this would work (Service road side-area might be affected a bit by the swing) but it'd be pretty cool.
Name the Discovery "Kryptonite" (Like SFNE's Chance Wipeout) and the Skyscreamer "Wonder Woman: Lasso of Truth", and rename Orleans Place to Metropolis Park or something. Also give Superman that well-deserved re-paint
RollingCoasting

Postby maxwellt on June 17th, 2017, 8:15 am
I don't think they will transform Orleans place to metropolis park, but very nice thought! If superloops are still a thing for sf, then ck will be replaced by that (what I would assume)

maxwellt

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on June 17th, 2017, 10:05 am
I hope they demolish Buccaneer Battle and replace it with a Sky Screamer or a Ferris Wheel. Something that will eat up crowds that actually GETS riders, lol
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby maxwellt on June 17th, 2017, 10:11 am
Return of skywhirl?

maxwellt

Postby UWW-10 on June 17th, 2017, 12:14 pm
I think the Sky Screamer fad is on its way out. If the chain wanted GAm to have one, it would have already happened

I would not be surprised if it was just a water park attraction next year. I know in the past the park has mentioned that they had no intentions of a separate outside gate for HH, but I can foresee this happening in the near future.
UWW-10

Postby SFGAMNUT9302 on June 17th, 2017, 12:22 pm
maxwellt wrote:Return of skywhirl?

To be honest, I wish they had never removed Sky Whirl to begin with. Not just from an emotional/nostalgic point of view, but from a financial one too! It would have cost substantially less to rehab Sky Whirl, rather then spending all that money on Deja Vu only to have it removed a few years later, and then purchasing a multi million dollar lawn ornament like Buccaneer Battle that barely get's any traffic. Who ever operate Buccaneer Battle at Great America has the easiest job at the Park, lol........ Hell if they did end up putting a Ferris Wheel in Buccaneer Battles plot of land, they could simply re-use the old Sky Whirl name!
SFGAMNUT9302

Postby SFGAM_Hog on June 17th, 2017, 4:32 pm
The Lobster. (If they even finish it by then)
SFGAM_Hog

Postby Goku1910 on June 17th, 2017, 4:36 pm
SFGAMNUT9302 wrote:
maxwellt wrote:Return of skywhirl?

To be honest, I wish they had never removed Sky Whirl to begin with. Not just from an emotional/nostalgic point of view, but from a financial one too! It would have cost substantially less to rehab Sky Whirl, rather then spending all that money on Deja Vu only to have it removed a few years later, and then purchasing a multi million dollar lawn ornament like Buccaneer Battle that barely get's any traffic. Who ever operate Buccaneer Battle at Great America has the easiest job at the Park, lol........ Hell if they did end up putting a Ferris Wheel in Buccaneer Battles plot of land, they could simply re-use the old Sky Whirl name!

You can only keep something alive for so long. Demon will eventually come to the same fate due to spare parts becoming harder to get. Arrow went down in 2002 and who knows how long S&S will support old Arrow coasters.
"I've been told that some part of every wish will be heard but lately I lost sight of the truth in those words."
Goku1910

Postby Guy_With_A_Stick on June 17th, 2017, 4:44 pm
^Vekoma still uses Arrow parts, so they'll supply us for a long time, if we don't get brand new trains by then.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Join the SFGAm Fan Discord! https://discord.gg/bNrTj9P

The Voyage | Goliath SFGAm | Skyrush | Maverick | Viper SFGAm | Outlaw Run | Thunderhead | TTD | Lightning Run | Thunderbird
Guy_With_A_Stick

Postby Goku1910 on June 17th, 2017, 4:50 pm
New trains? At a Six Flags park? :lol:
Goku1910

Postby Whizzer Whiz Kid on June 17th, 2017, 5:00 pm
You laugh, but Magic Mountain did it for Revolution and Over Georgia did it for Ninja.
Favorite @ SFGAm - Eagle ~ Favorite Steel - Skyrush ~ Favorite Wood - El Toro
35 Rides on Eagle in 2015
68 Rides on Eagle in 2016
102 Rides on Eagle in 2017
9 Rides on Eagle in 2018
Whizzer Whiz Kid

Postby Goku1910 on June 17th, 2017, 5:01 pm
Yes, but how long has it been that way for SFGAm....let's think....Never.

And new trains wouldn't improve Demon much at all considering the track was not designed the same way they are now.
Goku1910

Postby maxwellt on June 18th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Yeah I can see them retheming Mardi gras, I remember rc saying to retheme Orleans place to that, but that would be a bit too much. Add some life in that Mardi gras area

maxwellt

Postby JaminOut on June 18th, 2017, 3:09 pm
In response to doubleb:

Rue Le Dodge is "out of date" I suppose, but really just needs an upgrade like the bumper cars at Cedar Point. Those got a make over in 2016 (?).

A lot of people on this forum have said it, and I'll say it again. Demon is not going anywhere. It is a great starter ride for thrill seekers (and my first real roller coaster). The ride is not meant for us, it's a family thrill ride in today's world. If you're 6'+, there's no way it will be a comfortable ride for you.

There's not debating BB...

King Chaos reaches capacity pretty much every ride I've seen (~5 minute cycle). If people weren't going to it, it would have been removed by now (unless your name is Succaneer Battle).
I gon' cut you...
JaminOut

Postby maxwellt on June 18th, 2017, 3:59 pm
Ah succaneer battle, good times, good times

Anyways my hopes is for a flat package. Maybe screaming eagles, giant discovery and a disco.

maxwellt

Postby Ilovthevu' on June 18th, 2017, 9:08 pm
JaminOut wrote:In response to doubleb:

Rue Le Dodge is "out of date" I suppose, but really just needs an upgrade like the bumper cars at Cedar Point. Those got a make over in 2016 (?).

A lot of people on this forum have said it, and I'll say it again. Demon is not going anywhere. It is a great starter ride for thrill seekers (and my first real roller coaster). The ride is not meant for us, it's a family thrill ride in today's world. If you're 6'+, there's no way it will be a comfortable ride for you.

King Chaos reaches capacity pretty much every ride I've seen (~5 minute cycle). If people weren't going to it, it would have been removed by now (unless your name is Succaneer Battle).

So many kids go ouch, ouch my head / ears on the Demon. The Demon is obsolete when they built a way better ride across the way - Batman the Ride (Both have 2 loops / 2 corks, and Batman has an extra inversion). You just don't want it gone because of nostalgia. Demon is the new Iron Wolf in the park. When everything is crowded, go to the Demon. It's line is shorter than all the other coasters. A ride that is meant for families shouldn't beat up families. The height requirement is too low because a little kid's head can't go above the harness much.

I see these available spots that the park can go for in 2018, but they probably won't: Buccaneer Battle (They are too proud of that junk ride they put in), Trailblazer spot has been vacant for years, King Chaos, Pictorium (Move Susan to the Grand Music Hall mixed in with Love at First Fright), and Demon. If they take out Yankee Clipper, but keep Logger's Run only; that will mean that Logger's Run will be so much longer, and no one will still go on Buccaneer Battle. Sure, Logger's and Yankee are probably dying, but I say keep them as long as you can before they are completely dead (Even it's another 10 years - as long as possible), and figure out what other water ride to get to replace them. Having Buccaneer Battle as the replacement for them is stupid. That ride is dumb. No one wants to pelted in the face / eyes with water head on. You look at Roaring Rapids, and they have water cannons that are tilted in a way - not face on. On top of that, Buccaneer Battles water guns are too hard to use. You really have to turn them a lot in order to get the water out of them. They should had just people pushing a button to squirt water.
Last edited by Ilovthevu' on June 18th, 2017, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been staring at the world, waiting. All the trouble and all the pain we're facing. Too much light to be livin' in the dark. Why waste time? We only got one life. Together we can be the CHANGE. So go and let your heart burn bright"
Ilovthevu'

Postby Goku1910 on June 18th, 2017, 9:16 pm
Ilovthevu' wrote:
JaminOut wrote:In response to doubleb:

So many kids go ouch, ouch my head / ears on the Demon. The Demon is obsolete when they built a way better ride across the way - Batman the Ride (Both have 2 loops / 2 corks, and Batman has an extra inversion). You just don't want it gone because of nostalgia. Demon is the new Iron Wolf in the park. When everything is crowded, go to the Demon. It's line is shorter than all the other coasters. A ride that is meant for families shouldn't beat up families. The height requirement is too low because a little kid's head can't go above the harness much.

Which is why kids like it and adults don't. Heads that don't reach the top of tge harness don't get shoved into it.
Goku1910

Postby RollingCoasting on June 18th, 2017, 9:26 pm
Not going to lie, it seems Demon has actually got smoother recently. Last time I rode it before this month was 3 years ago, and I came off with a bad headache/bright red ear. I really didn't want to ride again but @Guy_With_A_Stick told me the correct way to ride and I gave it a try on June 10th and it was as smooth as Goliath.

The "Proper way" to ride Demon:

1. Sit in the back car
2. Sit as tall as possible
3. Keep your head as forward as humanely possible for the entirety of the ride

I would still support removing it, however. Any coaster where you need to follow a certain technique to not get beat up is not a good coaster

Edit: Spelling error
Last edited by RollingCoasting on June 18th, 2017, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollingCoasting

Next

Return to Six Flags Great America Forum